The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX


Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 January 2010, 08:07 AM   #31
Ck8
"TRF" Member
 
Ck8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Real Name: Mark 哥
Location: UK
Posts: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
I'm with you on that Sheldon.
The SD scewdriver is the only screwdriver I will use on my oyster bracelets.
Most other screwdrivers are either less than 1.6mm or the edge is too thin.
These other screwdrivers will nearly always leave witness marks especially if you strike a stubborn screw.

Check out the contour of the SD screwdriver tip and you will see why this is THE tool to use.
True what you've said but where do you get a 1.6mm screwdriver to fit the whole width of the screwhead? I have seem AD damaged screwheads, that is why I don't allow anybody change the link.
Ck8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2010, 08:09 AM   #32
JBat
"TRF" Member
 
JBat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Real Name: John
Location: Washington
Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Posts: 7,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by nektarios View Post
i really do not understand why an unexperienced (rolex) person with a brand new watch wants to mess up with screws, screwdriver, tools etc.. just go to a professional and.. that s it. Watches are toys, but not for everybody. You want to know, ask a teacher and let him help you..otherwise you will have only frustration and unnecessary worries
A lot of people like to do things for themselves when they can, me included. Frankly, the individuals I've run into at AD's do not exactly inspire confidence when it comes to any kind of watch repair.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2010, 08:29 AM   #33
3up2down
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: dallas
Posts: 4
The wife bought me a GMT IIc for christmas and I had the AD size the band. They managed to jack up the screw head on my brand new watch. I am contemplating going straight to the dallas service center and having them replace the screw.
3up2down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2010, 07:39 AM   #34
Ck8
"TRF" Member
 
Ck8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Real Name: Mark 哥
Location: UK
Posts: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3up2down View Post
The wife bought me a GMT IIc for christmas and I had the AD size the band. They managed to jack up the screw head on my brand new watch. I am contemplating going straight to the dallas service center and having them replace the screw.
Majority of the ADs in UK has no watchmaker working in store it just not cost effective. The last time that I knew there was a watchmaker in store was the branch of Watches of Switzerland on Bond Street in the early 90's.

The staff in the AD could have been there one week to manu years. Even the well experienced staff are good at selling and not the fine art of horology. They probably do not know the screws are glued in and that you need heat to loosen the glue before unscrewing, thus using too much force and result in damage screwhead.
Ck8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2010, 07:44 AM   #35
VeryDeep
"TRF" Member
 
VeryDeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Thailand
Watch: Rolex and Tudor
Posts: 57
I'll check in to the RSC in St James Square next time I'm in London and get the two screws replaced there.
VeryDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2010, 12:27 PM   #36
DDG
"TRF" Member
 
DDG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Real Name: Dennis Garrett
Location: Land of Oz
Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Posts: 406
When working on my tractor, I usually tighten bolts until they strip, then back off half a turn.
DDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2010, 12:32 PM   #37
directioneng
2018 DAYTONA Pledge Member
 
directioneng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Watch: A few.
Posts: 27,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ck8 View Post
True what you've said but where do you get a 1.6mm screwdriver to fit the whole width of the screwhead? I have seem AD damaged screwheads, that is why I don't allow anybody change the link.
You can buy the 1.6mm Sea Dweller screwdriver (I have two) and it is IMO the correct tool for the job. Would you work on a quality engine with an adjustable spanner then complain about the rounded nuts?
directioneng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2010, 12:35 PM   #38
directioneng
2018 DAYTONA Pledge Member
 
directioneng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Watch: A few.
Posts: 27,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDG View Post
When working on my tractor, I usually tighten bolts until they strip, then back off half a turn.
Was that after you smacked the bolts with a hammer?
directioneng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2010, 12:37 PM   #39
directioneng
2018 DAYTONA Pledge Member
 
directioneng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Watch: A few.
Posts: 27,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by nektarios View Post
i really do not understand why an unexperienced (rolex) person with a brand new watch wants to mess up with screws, screwdriver, tools etc.. just go to a professional and.. that s it. Watches are toys, but not for everybody. You want to know, ask a teacher and let him help you..otherwise you will have only frustration and unnecessary worries

Yes, take it to a watchmaker and let them take the blame.
directioneng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2010, 12:43 PM   #40
itchy243mhz
"TRF" Member
 
itchy243mhz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Real Name: Larry
Location: Southern Maryland
Watch: 14060M, 116613LB
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3up2down View Post
The wife bought me a GMT IIc for christmas and I had the AD size the band. They managed to jack up the screw head on my brand new watch. I am contemplating going straight to the dallas service center and having them replace the screw.
The same thing happened to me, my wife bought me a brand new TT GMT IIC for Christmas and I had the AD remove a link and they girred up two screws doing it, made me ill just looking at them under the loupe. I could run my finger across the screw head and it was rough feeling, absolutely unsat. I took the links with the watch in to the AD and calmly explained what happened and they ordered and replaced both damaged links. Do not hesitate. Get them to unscrew the screws.
itchy243mhz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2010, 01:29 PM   #41
R S
"TRF" Member
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Real Name: Robert
Location: N.O.LA.
Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDG View Post
When working on my tractor, I usually tighten bolts until they strip, then back off half a turn.
__________________
R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2010, 01:59 PM   #42
Mrdi
"TRF" Member
 
Mrdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Surf City, CA
Posts: 3,496
CAUTION
Please note that the machine screws are very sensitive to temperature change and experience expansion and contraction as a result.
Torque your screws to 2.75 ft lbs as recommended in the Rolex Watchfitter Guide.
This torque value changes according to ambient temperature and the torque should be adjusted in accordance with the absolute expansion and contraction of the metal.
It is highly recommended you carry your DRSD screwdriver when you travel and adjust all screws after landing in an environment where the ambient temperature varies by 54 degrees from the environment from which you have come.
Simple attention to basic maintenance detail will ensure the integrity of your Rolex.
.
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2010, 12:11 PM   #43
withnail
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy243mhz View Post
The same thing happened to me, my wife bought me a brand new TT GMT IIC for Christmas and I had the AD remove a link and they girred up two screws doing it, made me ill just looking at them under the loupe. I could run my finger across the screw head and it was rough feeling, absolutely unsat. I took the links with the watch in to the AD and calmly explained what happened and they ordered and replaced both damaged links. Do not hesitate. Get them to unscrew the screws.
This very thing happened to me today; I took my watch to the AD to get it refitted and had one of their staff remove a link. It ended up being too tight and so she put the link back in and moved the end of the bracelet where it attaches to the clasp to another slot.

Good news: Watch fits perfectly now.

Bad news: At dinner I noticed that the screw heads were rough and had a bunch of witness marks. It also looks like the screwdriver skipped off one of the screws and scratched a link a bit. I plan on taking it back to the AD and hope they don't give me a bunch of crap about making it right...
withnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2010, 03:24 AM   #44
zeuloa
"TRF" Member
 
zeuloa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Real Name: Jose
Location: Here
Watch: SEA-DWELLER
Posts: 2,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by withnail View Post
This very thing happened to me today; I took my watch to the AD to get it refitted and had one of their staff remove a link. It ended up being too tight and so she put the link back in and moved the end of the bracelet where it attaches to the clasp to another slot.

Good news: Watch fits perfectly now.

Bad news: At dinner I noticed that the screw heads were rough and had a bunch of witness marks. It also looks like the screwdriver skipped off one of the screws and scratched a link a bit. I plan on taking it back to the AD and hope they don't give me a bunch of crap about making it right...
This happened to me as well... but 2 years ago when re-sized but I just noticed yesterday (Not as observant of my watch as others)! Do I have a case if I take it back to AD?
zeuloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2010, 03:31 AM   #45
withnail
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Posts: 6
Well, the update to my story was that the AD (Ben Bridge) replaced it no questions asked, and was very apologetic. I totally expected to have to establish that in fact I did not cause the damage and then have to argue about replacing them, but they took care of it with no fuss.

The only thing is they made me point out the person who had caused the damage, and I felt a little guilty about that, but I suppose she needs to be told to use the correct tool for this. I am pretty sure she just used a driver with a blade that's too small for these newer screws...
withnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2012, 04:33 AM   #46
babas
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: LA
Posts: 1
Icon5

I have a question, I think I damaged the first screw link right where you close the bracelet and I was wondering what was the size dimension (length and diameters of it. Anyone can help me on this?

It's a RLX5455 Daytona Cosmograph.
babas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2012, 06:16 AM   #47
Brushpup
"TRF" Member
 
Brushpup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Real Name: Patrick
Location: Texas
Watch: what I'm wearing
Posts: 5,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by babas View Post
I have a question, I think I damaged the first screw link right where you close the bracelet and I was wondering what was the size dimension (length and diameters of it. Anyone can help me on this?

It's a RLX5455 Daytona Cosmograph.
It's much better to post a new question rather than bumping an old post like this.
__________________
TRFs "AFTER DARK" Bar & NightClub Patron-Founding Member


PClub # 10
74,592
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banner Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright 2004-2018, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.