The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 18 July 2010, 01:31 AM   #1
HACKNSACK44
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
What does MINT condition mean?

What does MINT condition mean? I know BNIB means the watch is Brand New and in perfect condition. Once the watch hits the wrist the perfection is gone. If it has some surface scratches is that MINT?
Old 18 July 2010, 01:37 AM   #2
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:
Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
What does MINT condition mean? I know BNIB means the watch is Brand New and in perfect condition. Once the watch hits the wrist the perfection is gone. If it has some surface scratches is that MINT?
It means the watch is in good condition with scratches at the backside after band change, some scratches at the clasp
and a few minor scratches at the lugs and case. The problem is when the seller says it's MINT so haven't he seen all the
scratches I mention above.

There is no MINT watches out there, they are only MINT between the factory and the AD. So that word dosen't belongs
in a sales ad.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Old 18 July 2010, 01:45 AM   #3
Idle Swede
Suspended

Here's TZ's grading system.

LNIB

A pre-owned watch that has been worn, yet is in perfect condition. Accompanied by the factory box(es), tags and documentation. No alterations from factory-delivered condition. The warranty papers must be stamped to establish the authenticity and validity of the watch - TimeZone does not allow sales of watches with "open papers." No bracelet resizing or marks of any kind. 100%

Mint

A pre-owned watch that is in very nearly perfect condition. Signs of wear are visible with a low powered loupe. May be a watch that is in LNIB condition but not accompanied by the factory box(es) or documentation. May refer to an older watch that has been restored, so long as the restoration returned the watch to very nearly perfect factory original condition. Working perfectly, keeping excellent time, needs nothing. 98-100%

Near Mint

Showing very light signs of wear. Faint scratches on the case, bezel, bracelet or buckle are visible to the naked eye. Completely original in every way. Strap shows light use - may be bent or lightly creased, but not stained. Bracelet may be resized. The watch is working perfectly, keeping very good time and needs nothing. 93-97%

Excellent

Evidence of use is visible to the unaided eye. Scratches are light, but more numerous than "near mint". If the watch has been restored, all original replacement parts have been used. Strap clearly used but no stains. No dents or dings are detectable, and the bracelet has little wear. Working perfectly, needs no repair or service. 88-92%

Very good

The watch shows what might be considered normal wear by a careful owner who wore the watch regularly. Scratches are evident, but no nicks or dings. May have replacement parts and/or a high quality redial. Running and keeping good time, though may need minor regulation. A sound, attractive presentation overall. 83-87%

Good

Nothing fundamentally wrong with the watch, though it has quite obviously been used. Running and wearable, but may gain or lose a few minutes over 24 hours. Case may show a few dings, nicks, or deep scratches. May have a redial that is not up to high standards. May not have all original parts. 77-82%

Fair

Well used, may require service and/or restoration to be useable. May be running erratically. Dial, case, and other major components may not be original, but no pieces are missing. Even an untrained eye could tell the watch is worse for wear. Some might call it rough. 72-76%

Poor

Shows abuse, requires service and/or restoration. May have major cosmetic flaws, missing parts, may not run at all. A speculative piece - 'fixer-upper' would be too generous. Not junk, but requires lots of work to be made wearable. 66-71%

Scrap / Parts

A collection of parts that at one time may have been a functioning timekeeper. Now missing parts, may be rusted or corroded, not worth restoring. Most people would call it junk. 64% or worse.
Old 18 July 2010, 01:46 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I'll agree with Jocke... Mint really has no place in describing a watch condition accurately and is over-used..

Mint would/should mean exactly as it came from the factory (i.e., "newly minted" like a coin). If the watch is still in the little plastic coffin, and has never been removed, it is mint condition, otherwise, it is not.........
Old 18 July 2010, 01:46 AM   #5
HACKNSACK44
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the information. I have a watch up for sale and said its MINT condition. After looking at it closer I noticed some surface scratches on the band and clasp. I don't want to miss lead a potential buyer. I'm trying to give my best opinion on the
watch.
Old 18 July 2010, 01:48 AM   #6
Jocke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Swede View Post
Here's TZ's grading system.

LNIB

A pre-owned watch that has been worn, yet is in perfect condition. Accompanied by the factory box(es), tags and documentation. No alterations from factory-delivered condition. The warranty papers must be stamped to establish the authenticity and validity of the watch - TimeZone does not allow sales of watches with "open papers." No bracelet resizing or marks of any kind. 100%

Mint

A pre-owned watch that is in very nearly perfect condition. Signs of wear are visible with a low powered loupe. May be a watch that is in LNIB condition but not accompanied by the factory box(es) or documentation. May refer to an older watch that has been restored, so long as the restoration returned the watch to very nearly perfect factory original condition. Working perfectly, keeping excellent time, needs nothing. 98-100%

Near Mint

Showing very light signs of wear. Faint scratches on the case, bezel, bracelet or buckle are visible to the naked eye. Completely original in every way. Strap shows light use - may be bent or lightly creased, but not stained. Bracelet may be resized. The watch is working perfectly, keeping very good time and needs nothing. 93-97%

Excellent

Evidence of use is visible to the unaided eye. Scratches are light, but more numerous than "near mint". If the watch has been restored, all original replacement parts have been used. Strap clearly used but no stains. No dents or dings are detectable, and the bracelet has little wear. Working perfectly, needs no repair or service. 88-92%

Very good

The watch shows what might be considered normal wear by a careful owner who wore the watch regularly. Scratches are evident, but no nicks or dings. May have replacement parts and/or a high quality redial. Running and keeping good time, though may need minor regulation. A sound, attractive presentation overall. 83-87%

Good

Nothing fundamentally wrong with the watch, though it has quite obviously been used. Running and wearable, but may gain or lose a few minutes over 24 hours. Case may show a few dings, nicks, or deep scratches. May have a redial that is not up to high standards. May not have all original parts. 77-82%

Fair

Well used, may require service and/or restoration to be useable. May be running erratically. Dial, case, and other major components may not be original, but no pieces are missing. Even an untrained eye could tell the watch is worse for wear. Some might call it rough. 72-76%

Poor

Shows abuse, requires service and/or restoration. May have major cosmetic flaws, missing parts, may not run at all. A speculative piece - 'fixer-upper' would be too generous. Not junk, but requires lots of work to be made wearable. 66-71%

Scrap / Parts

A collection of parts that at one time may have been a functioning timekeeper. Now missing parts, may be rusted or corroded, not worth restoring. Most people would call it junk. 64% or worse.
What is TZ?

Old 18 July 2010, 01:49 AM   #7
Idle Swede
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
What is TZ?
A place you are not allowed to visit.
Old 18 July 2010, 02:04 AM   #8
PeteNYC13
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I may be wrong (and will surely be corrected if I am :-) ) but I think the term "Mint Condition" referrs to coins that were literally fresh from the Mint (maybe other precious metals too). I would assume that that Mint Condition would mean never circulated, perfectly as Minted with no use or signs of circulation.
Putting this into Rolex world, I agree with Jocke, the only true Mint Condition watches are fresh from Rolex to the AD - never having been worn or sized. Even some of the NEW watches in AD cases show a lot of signs of wear and scratches from being tried on and handled. I have noticed this with yellow gold and slower selling models (maybe the two are the same?!).

Just my thoughts - but for as long as I have been buying things, there is always the Sellers "MINT" and the Buyers "MINT". I will say that nothing is more depressing or frustrating- especially before the internet of going to pick up a "Mint" item and it is far from what you expected.

Good luck with your sale!

-Pete
SS Black Dial Daytona M116520
SS Explorer II D16570
Old 18 July 2010, 02:13 AM   #9
BASSETHOUNDS
Banned

Watch: 116520/660/710/334
Simple .. If Leo buys a LNIB watch he tells the seller it's is a battered piece of junk and pays accordingly ... when Leo sells a battered piece of junk he says it is LNIB and prices it accordingly .

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder .
Old 18 July 2010, 02:15 AM   #10
Idle Swede
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSETHOUNDS View Post
Simple .. If Leo buys a LNIB watch he tells the seller it's is a battered piece of junk and pays accordingly ... when Leo sells a battered piece of junk he says it is LNIB and prices it accordingly .

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder .

And the cash difference is in your pocket.
Old 18 July 2010, 02:17 AM   #11
BASSETHOUNDS
Banned

Watch: 116520/660/710/334
Quote:
And the cash difference is in your pocket.
is the operative word !
Old 18 July 2010, 02:24 AM   #12
Jocke

Quote:
A place you are not allowed to visit.
Don't beat a dead horse.

Old 18 July 2010, 02:39 AM   #13
Puffy
"TRF" Member

TZ is a place that doesn't come close to TRF....
Old 18 July 2010, 03:03 AM   #14
psv
"TRF" Member

I like used mint to describe a watch, reffing to the coin description, but to me mint = LNIB. There should be no visible sign of wear.

I bought a "mint" Sea-Dweller from one of the TRF powersellers only to find out that his understanding of mint was different from mine. To his credit he took back the watch and offered me a full refund (minus shipping).
Old 18 July 2010, 03:15 AM   #15
Speed
"TRF" Member

Finally!!! I know what the infamous "TZ" scale is all about. Thanks Leo!

Lots of wiggle room for sure. However, buying pre-owned from LawrenceB - who is ULTRA conservative in his ratings - has served me well. Of course BNIB from DavidSW is pretty risk-free as well!
Old 18 July 2010, 03:18 AM   #16
jldc
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
Thanks for the information. I have a watch up for sale and said its MINT condition. After looking at it closer I noticed some surface scratches on the band and clasp. I don't want to miss lead a potential buyer. I'm trying to give my best opinion on the
watch.
The fact that a lot of the sellers at TRF feel this way gives me the confidence to buy online here. Good work HACKNSACK44

FWIW I bought a Sub described as "mint" on this forum two weeks ago. When my wife first saw it, she told me that I shouldn't have bought it new (she's a TRF member as well). IMO that means the description was accurate and not at all misleading.
Old 18 July 2010, 01:59 PM   #17
HACKNSACK44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldc View Post
The fact that a lot of the sellers at TRF feel this way gives me the confidence to buy online here. Good work HACKNSACK44

FWIW I bought a Sub described as "mint" on this forum two weeks ago. When my wife first saw it, she told me that I shouldn't have bought it new (she's a TRF member as well). IMO that means the description was accurate and not at all misleading.
Thanks.. I have sold a couple Rolex's on here already and the buyers were happy with the watches. I just want to make sure I'm not misleading buyers. I know my description of how the watch is might differ from someone else's description but I want to give the best description I can. If I'm going to buy a watch I would want the same. It's only fair to the buyer.

Last edited by HACKNSACK44; 18 July 2010 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: Missed a word..
Closed Thread