The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10 May 2011, 04:31 AM   #1
jizeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: neilswatches@gmail
Don't change the date between 10PM - 2AM?

I was at the AD this weekend and I mentioned to the watchmaker that I hate having to change the date on my watch when it comes up in rotation so I dont want to see a Daytona Date.

He then advises that I should never change the date on any Rolex between 10PM and 2AM because the date disc is engaged in advancing and during this time you could damage the gears. Has anyone else heard something like this before?
Old 10 May 2011, 04:38 AM   #2
Naples09
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jizeal View Post
I was at the AD this weekend and I mentioned to the watchmaker that I hate having to change the date on my watch when it comes up in rotation so I dont want to see a Daytona Date.

He then advises that I should never change the date on any Rolex between 10PM and 2AM because the date disc is engaged in advancing and during this time you could damage the gears. Has anyone else heard something like this before?
Yes, I have heard that but do not know if its true or not. Usually not a problem since I change the date in the morning when putting the watch on.
Old 10 May 2011, 04:38 AM   #3
rosspanics
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp2, Exp1
Yes, its true.
Old 10 May 2011, 04:42 AM   #4
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
I dont believe this is true on modern Rolex...perhaps some vintage but NOTHING modern... Am I mistaken here
Old 10 May 2011, 04:43 AM   #5
dsio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680 '79
Not so sure about that, my watchmaker said it was fine with my Rolex, but a risk with my 7750 based Seamaster.

Vanessa from TRF made a post saying that it isn't an issue: http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...highlight=date

and to be honest, I was under the impression only slow date change watches had a problem in this area, rather than Rolex's which flick to the next date instantly.
-- Rolex Submariner 1680 "Ghost" '79 --
-- Rolex SS Daytona 116520 '04 --
Old 10 May 2011, 04:44 AM   #6
Chipmunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXES
I've heard that before but I don't think it's true otherwise Rolex should have provided such warning. I'm sure others with more accurate info will chime in soon.
BTW, I don't change the date on my Rolex between those times.

Old 10 May 2011, 04:46 AM   #7
Sarajevo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600371701
IWC Pilot Chrono handbook advises against changing the date between 2200 and 0200.
Old 10 May 2011, 04:46 AM   #8
dsio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680 '79
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortgageGuy View Post
I dont believe this is true on modern Rolex...perhaps some vintage but NOTHING modern... Am I mistaken here
Vintage don't have a problem, 1803 Day-Date's don't have quickset, 1680's 1675s and vintage Datejusts don't either, you have to wind the hands forward, which by definition means having to change date *only* between those hours.

Only modern 3xxx calibres AFAIK have quickset, and I'm pretty sure its not an issue for them either.

That said I'm not sure whether the Day on Day-Dates with quick and double quick movements is slow change or fast, its a big wheel that has a lot of degrees to turn each change.
-- Rolex Submariner 1680 "Ghost" '79 --
-- Rolex SS Daytona 116520 '04 --
Old 10 May 2011, 04:55 AM   #9
youenjoymyself
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC!
The owner's manual with my Breitling Navitimer explicitly states to not change the date during this period of time (and to change the time to the allowable time first if you must change the date). It states this puts pressure on the mechanism that moves the date forward at midnight and it could break.

When I recently bought my Rolex I looked for the same disclaimer/instruction in the manual and saw nothing. So, while I am wary, I assume their movements do not have this limitation.

One of my good friends has an IWC which broke. When it was returned from repairs, they told him this was the likely cause of the break.
Old 10 May 2011, 04:56 AM   #10
BOA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD
I've heard it with Breitling, but I haven't heard that with Rolex.
Old 10 May 2011, 05:09 AM   #11
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
I've only heard this with 7750 based chronos. That being said, I still don't change the date on any watch between those hours.
Old 10 May 2011, 05:22 AM   #12
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
The modern Rolex has the quickset date, and it doesn't matter what time you change the date. As for the vintage, I'm not really sure.
Old 10 May 2011, 05:30 AM   #13
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:

No........ Your watchmaker is wrong... You do NOT need to worry about when you change the date on your Rolex...

It does NOT engage the date disk gears as on ETA and some other based movements. If you read an Omega manual, it specifically warns against this.. You won't find that warning in a Rolex manual.

Rolex uses a cam and lever for the date change.. Nothing is engaged, but when the main wheel reaches midnight a cam rolls into a slot releasing a spring loaded lever that slaps the date over one day.. thus, no gears to break..
Old 10 May 2011, 06:14 AM   #14
Art161
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
No........ Your watchmaker is wrong... You do NOT need to worry about when you change the date on your Rolex...

It does NOT engage the date disk gears as on ETA and some other based movements. If you read an Omega manual, it specifically warns against this.. You won't find that warning in a Rolex manual.

Rolex uses a cam and lever for the date change.. Nothing is engaged, but when the main wheel reaches midnight a cam rolls into a slot releasing a spring loaded lever that slaps the date over one day.. thus, no gears to break..
Larry, does your comment include the older Rolex models, say a 1984 DJ? I used to try to set the date around midnight when the month had fewer than 31 days, and I often had difficulty in getting the date centered in the window. Then, when I began changing the date either the previous afternoon or the following morning, everything worked smoothly.
Member #13992 HM Power to the Superlative Panda, officially certified! HMPanda eats, shoots and leaves.
Rolexers do it with perpetual movements.
Old 10 May 2011, 06:29 AM   #15
SohAIS
⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Patek, Rolex
Not sure about rolexs but i had a modern longines chronograph and the owner's manual clearly said not the change the date between 10:00pm and 2:00am.

2FA security active
Old 10 May 2011, 06:38 AM   #16
cpo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail View Post
Not sure about rolexs but i had a modern longines chronograph and the owner's manual clearly said not the change the date between 10:00pm and 2:00am.
My Fortis B-42 Marinemaster with quick set day and date had the same warning.
Old 10 May 2011, 06:48 AM   #17
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art161 View Post
Larry, does your comment include the older Rolex models, say a 1984 DJ? I used to try to set the date around midnight when the month had fewer than 31 days, and I often had difficulty in getting the date centered in the window. Then, when I began changing the date either the previous afternoon or the following morning, everything worked smoothly.
No.. Vintage watches use the older method, but you need to go back 30 years of so.......
Old 10 May 2011, 07:52 AM   #18
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

Yes, I've heard of that before. I just make the habit of changing the date in the morning before I head out the door.
Old 10 May 2011, 07:59 AM   #19
georgew
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: mostly Subs
My Vacheron Constantin overseas has this warning about date change. So because I do have other than Rolex (breitling and GP too) watches I just set the hands everytime for all my watches to 5:30 - 6:30 or therabouts before I set the date. That way I don't have to think about which watch I am setting. Takes maybe an extra 5 - 7 secs to do this first. Cheap peace of mind.
Old 10 May 2011, 08:13 AM   #20
onryo

Watch: GMT-Master II
For those with 7750-based chronos: I had a 7750-based chrono that I messed with and changed the dates, over-manipulated the pushers, etc. for close to 10 years before anyone told me about this. I agree that it is not advised, but I think the risk of damage is a bit overstated. The 7750 is a darn tough chrono movement.
Old 26 November 2013, 09:51 AM   #21
russiarussian
"TRF" Member

Mmm
Old 26 November 2013, 11:57 AM   #22
RolexguyinSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Not what I heard from RSC

I took one of my ceramic Rolex models two years ago to RSC at Bernecke's (authorized Rolex service facility) here in San Francisco. This watch was having a problem with the date switching over; it would switch half way over at midnight, and not completely all the way until 4-5 am. It was consistent, and repeatable. I spoke to Giovanni there, many here know him, as he's worked there for a long time, and is now the proprieter. When the work was completed, he said in the future when the date is incorrect (at the end of the month), wait until the next morning to change it. I told him I had heard something about not changing it at certain hours (10-2) and he said "it's best" to wait until the next day, as changing it at that time was not ideal.

One of the reasons I posted this was as I read the other posts, people seem to pass on information, that as far as I can tell (or at least RSC tells me) is just not correct. People repeat things here like gospel, but few, if any can back it up with any data or facts whatsoever. Please reply if you can tell me where, when, and how exactly you know this to be true / false, other than "I heard it at an AD" Otherwise it's nothing more that another WIS'ers opinion.

Thank you.

Quote:

Old 26 November 2013, 12:05 PM   #23
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Wow, so unnecessarily rude. I take it you didnt read or didnt understand Tools post? It was spot on, he went into the reason and the technicalities of how this works. Maybe "it is best" if you hear some people out.
Old 26 November 2013, 12:16 PM   #24
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Not something I'm worried about today ;)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (118.1 KB, 2579 views)
Old 26 November 2013, 02:42 PM   #25
RolexguyinSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
Wow, so unnecessarily rude. I take it you didnt read or didnt understand Tools post? It was spot on, he went into the reason and the technicalities of how this works. Maybe "it is best" if you hear some people out.
Yes, actually I read every response, including Tools. This is not rude, it's called being specific, instead of passing on nothing more than an opinion. Please take a moment to revisit them, most are non Rolex watch related responses (not much help to Jizeal who is asking about a Rolex), the rest are nothing but opinion and vague "maybe", "not sure" etc.

There are too many posters that throw out responses that are either inaccurate, wrong, or based on nothing more than something some other guy said somewhere in another forum, etc. Not very exact, to say the least.

I spoke to a RSC technician first hand at a authorized Rolex Service Center (which was recommended when I called the Rolex Bev Hills center, and told me to take it to their authorized service center) who told me this. He's worked with Rolex for decades, hands on, every day. If anyone here has better documented response, I'd love to see it posted. Otherwise it's just people passing along uninformed or inaccurate information.
Old 26 November 2013, 03:03 PM   #26
A.Sharp
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Now one less thing for me to worry about. this sums it up ^

"I can't listen to that much Wagner, ya know? I start to get the urge to conquer Poland."
Old 26 November 2013, 03:12 PM   #27
Presa canary
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii
Maybe, I'm not sure. Hope this helps
Old 26 November 2013, 03:17 PM   #28
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

If you own any watches that are not Rolex, changing the date between 22 and 2 is a filthy and dangerous habit. You may not endanger your Rolex doing that, due to the technical reasons discussed, but that is no reason to become sloppy with all your watches.
Old 26 November 2013, 03:20 PM   #29
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It does NOT engage the date disk gears as on ETA and some other based movements.
I wonder does that mean vintage Tudor watches have this issue as well or was it dealt with when the movements were modified by Rolex?
Old 26 November 2013, 06:48 PM   #30
lipjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC, Nautilus
Quote:

Thanks for the info- I read that it was mostly ETA movements with this date change issue

"It is not our abilities that show what we truly are. It is our choices" -Dumbledore

Instagram: horolj_
Closed Thread