The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 January 2012, 02:22 AM   #1
djtheot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT IIC
Perrelet Turbine

What are people's thoughts on this brand and the Turbine models?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEXEl...e_gdata_player

I am tempted, however I know very little about the brand. The turbine seems to polarise opnion in terms of reviews. Some bloggers think it very innovative and some a fad/gimmick.

Anyone own a turbine on the forums or have an opnion. How do they hold their value?

I have a gmt iic and a panerai 88 so like to think a couple of nice pieces already. The turbine looks fun!

Thanks
djtheot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2012, 12:03 PM   #2
liptonnr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-c LV, GMT's
I love the look but they do not hold their value at all! You can get them for 75% off retail in some cases! For that price I would pick one up?
liptonnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2012, 05:04 PM   #3
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Perrelet doesn't hold value well. They're kinda like Ebel in that regard. Too bad though, because their designs are original, some of their watches have in-house movements but their resale is what kills these brands.
Old 30 January 2012, 11:50 PM   #4
Java
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I have two Perrelet watches.

IMO they are extremely well made. Most of their movements are ETA based However they are all now built in-house. Perrelet is owned by Manuel Rodriguez of the Festina group.
They also own L Leroy and Soprod
Soprod are very well established movement modifier , maker, and maker of modules.
In the Perrelet Rattrapante they have a very well, in-house built, 7750. Beautifully Finished , with Soprod's own Ratrapante module.
Soprod have done a lot of work for many high end makers. Notably they build one of Richard Mille's movements , for their ladies watch. A higher recommendation would be hard to find.

Yes they have a marketing policy which is almost diametrically opposite to Rolex.They set very high, almost never achieved MRSP. The watches can be bought with relative ease at 50 to 60 % of those prices . Even better discounts can be had for older run out models.

I think if purchased at the best available discounts, reasonable residual values can probably be achieved down the line.
They are after all great watches.

The Turbine is without doubt a gimick. By definition it is such, as the dial side rotor is not required and serves no realistic function. But hey, neither does a tourbillon in a wrist watch. Nonetheless it is a fine watch and well made. If it floats your boat , buy it. But try to pay around $3000 for a newer 50mm model .

Here are the two I have.

I also bough this recently for my daughters birthday;

Old 31 January 2012, 06:11 AM   #5
djtheot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT IIC
Thanks for the detailed reply, I tried on the turbine today, did not float my boat in the flesh but did see a couple of their other models. Finish on all seemed very good.
djtheot is offline   Reply With Quote