The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 April 2014, 07:00 PM   #1
Jorssen
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5711
Car-topic: Any experience with the Mercedes-Benz G-wagon?

Hey guys,

I'm slowly looking out to buy a new car before the end of the year so I'm doing all my studywork right now just as I do before I buy a watch. I was wondering if any of our members have got a Mercedes Benz G-class / W463. If so, what's your experience with the car overall? Mine would be used as a daily driver.

I'm not looking for the AMG version, I'm living in Belgium and as you may know we're the country with the highest taxes. Next to that, the fuel prices are not the ones from the US... So I'm sure you guys understand.

I'm looking at a 270cdi, 400cdi or 320cdi. I've heard the 400cdi is a problematic engine? What's your experience?

Thanks!

Jorssen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 07:19 PM   #2
Britexpat76
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO,GP FTC, YM
I have owned several, only petrol versions living in the Middle East. As a daily drive it handles like a double decker bus, is uncomfortable and noisy.

As a plus they are rock solid, hold their value very well and give you some road kudos.

If you want diesel go for the 320cdi.
Britexpat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 07:40 PM   #3
Jorssen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britexpat76 View Post
I have owned several, only petrol versions living in the Middle East. As a daily drive it handles like a double decker bus, is uncomfortable and noisy.

As a plus they are rock solid, hold their value very well and give you some road kudos.

If you want diesel go for the 320cdi.
I used to have an old 1995 Range Rover Classic 2.5tdi and a 2007 Range Rover Sport tdv6, I assume that the ride comfort is somewhere in between?

The plusses you have summed up are one of the reasons why I'd pick one. Next to that it's just 1 of the 2 cars that I really want in my garage. I've already driven the 270cdi but it's a few years ago and other than the fact I enjoyed it I don't remember much more about it.

What are the reasons why you prefer the 320cdi?
Old 23 April 2014, 08:04 PM   #4
Britexpat76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorssen View Post
I used to have an old 1995 Range Rover Classic 2.5tdi and a 2007 Range Rover Sport tdv6, I assume that the ride comfort is somewhere in between?

The plusses you have summed up are one of the reasons why I'd pick one. Next to that it's just 1 of the 2 cars that I really want in my garage. I've already driven the 270cdi but it's a few years ago and other than the fact I enjoyed it I don't remember much more about it.

What are the reasons why you prefer the 320cdi?
The 2.7 will be under powered, the 400 has issues leaving the 220bhp 320 as the best. Think of the old 2.5 Range Rover you had, that will give you a good idea as to what a 2.7 is like in the G Wagon. The old Range was a soft ride the G is a hard ride that is the biggest difference.
Old 23 April 2014, 08:11 PM   #5
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Will you be doing a lot of off-road work ? The G wagon is great off road and can handle the toughest conditions, on the road it's a bit cumbersome. For mainly on road use I'd go for an ML270 with standard suspension(not air suspension)
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 08:18 PM   #6
Jorssen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britexpat76 View Post
The 2.7 will be under powered, the 400 has issues leaving the 220bhp 320 as the best. Think of the old 2.5 Range Rover you had, that will give you a good idea as to what a 2.7 is like in the G Wagon. The old Range was a soft ride the G is a hard ride that is the biggest difference.
Thanks! The 2.7 could get a tuning from Brabus or Carlsson, apparently they can get it up to 195bhp. A possibility. Though I get why you prefer the 320cdi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatty View Post
Will you be doing a lot of off-road work ? The G wagon is great off road and can handle the toughest conditions, on the road it's a bit cumbersome. For mainly on road use I'd go for an ML270 with standard suspension(not air suspension)
I'm in the construction and I often need to go off road, depending on the job etc. I won't use it as a hobby offroader, my hobby are watches ;).

As with a watch I often follow my heart, the G-class is a car that has always attracted me, I do like the roughness about it and it's timeless design (imo). It's a car with a lot of charm design-wise but also in it's handling. Not a car to buy if you need a luxury sedan. I know what I'm up to with such a car and it's one of the reasons why it caught my interest. I miss the feeling of my range rover classic. I preferred it above the RR sport :).
Old 23 April 2014, 08:19 PM   #7
Dan_lie
"TRF" Member

They are really fun to drive! but at the same time, same points mentioned already, plus turning circle is not great... Try and get brabus suspension pack as it sorts the ride out a lot. Not sure if its available on the non AMG though.

Dan_lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 10:42 PM   #8
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
My mother in law bought one of the first in the states way back when, she still has and loves it. She actually looked at getting another one last year and probably will again. Personally I hate the thing and cringe when she asks me to use it. It's tough to drive and doesn't actually have much space vs an escalade/Tahoe.
I washed it for her for Mother's Day a year ago, pic below.
Old 23 April 2014, 11:49 PM   #9
Britexpat76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
My mother in law bought one of the first in the states way back when, she still has and loves it. She actually looked at getting another one last year and probably will again. Personally I hate the thing and cringe when she asks me to use it. It's tough to drive and doesn't actually have much space vs an escalade/Tahoe.
I washed it for her for Mother's Day a year ago, pic below.
The other beauty of the G Wagon, as they have not really changed with a good wash they all look brand new.