The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 4 October 2014, 11:32 AM   #1
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Patek Nautilus Rose Gold Try Outs - My thoughts

I own a 5205R and has been itching to get a 2nd PP. Nautilus comes highly recommended. One classic and one Nautilus sporty watch. Makes a great pair. For a while, I had my mind set on the 5980R especially after an encounter at the Geneva Patek Salon. But there is a big stumbling block, ie my bank account. I balk at the price... it just feels too much. So why not get a 5712R? It slimmer, has a to me more attractive micro-rotor movement and is also a RG Nautilus and much more "affordable". Besides, pics from our fellow poster Jorge makes the watch so enticing.

So I set out to hunt for the 5712R. It's quite rare in my part of the world. Any available stocks are usually quickly snatched up although ADs can get allocation without prolong waiting.

Finally, I heard from my local AD that they just got one piece in and it is not reserved and is available for purchase. So I made my way down to my local AD. My fellow WIS friend and a devoted Patek collector volunteer to accompany me ( or try to poison me at the same time ). He has helpfully worn his newly purchased 5980R for my comparison.

Impressions - 5980R

Once again, the 5980R impressed. While we are having our quick lunch at a local restaurant, I tried out his 5980R. It's big but Iooks perfect on my wrist. The case shimmers and glows. The dial is literally to die for as the golden brown hue matches perfectly with the rose gold case.

I still balk at the price, but my resolve is starting to become shaky. Then, after like 10 or 15 mins, I start to feel the weight of the watch. Damn... it's heavy. I know the watch is top heavy but not like this. My IWC PPC is top heavy also but the 5980R is more so. I can feel the full weight of the gold case pressing down on my wrist. This is the first time I have worn the 5980R for any extended period. Yes, my hand did not become immobile but I can distinctly feel the weight and not in a good way. I have to conclude this watch is just too uncomfortable for me. My friend suggested that maybe it's because the strap is too tight as he has a slightly smaller wrist to mine. The deployment clasp in a Nautilus has a screw-down setup where it is not possible to manually adjust the watch.

Impressions on the 5712R

We proceed to the local AD. The friendly store owner brought out the 5712R still neatly wrapped in plastic and in perfect mint condition. It comes in a slimmer RG case, with the same brown exquisitely stitched leather strap like the 5980R. I tried it on and....

Wait... It looks different. :Why does the watch dial looks so greyish? I recall the 5712R in pictures does not look like that. Was it the showroom's harsh lighting? Then I put the 5712R besides the 5980R. It cannot be more obvious. The dial on the 5980R pops while the 5712R just takes on a greyish brown almost metallic silvery hue. Where is the deep brown / chocholate hue that I saw in the photos such as this ( not my photo )?

Did PP changed the 5712R recently? I recall ever seeing the 5712R in the wild and it looks much better than this. By itself, the 5712R is a nice looking watch. It's just when it is compared to the 5980R that the difference becomes apparent.

So I left the store not buying anything but I told the owner I will think about it. But in my mind I already decided the 5712R is not for me. Not when the 5980R exist. But the 5980R is not comfortable to wear. Or maybe it need further adjustment on the strap?

So, no RG Nautilus for me. Well, at least not now. My "salvation" might lies with one possible future piece. The 5726R in rose gold. With a great looking dial of course.

Thanks for reading and have a great weekend.
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2014, 11:39 AM   #2
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Enjoyed the personal insight Ben.

All references mentioned have a fantastic appeal.... If only we all had unlimited funds, because I like them all (and said with sincerity)!!!!

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2014, 11:41 AM   #3
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
For me the 5980R is very hard to beat and is clear winner in my book! Taste of course is subjective and others will like 5712 more. I can tell you one thing is I am not a fan of the 5726 myself so wouldn't even go in that direction. Looking at past posts I can tell your heart says 5980R so that is the one....You will get used to the price over time as the dial and warm RG case take you over. Great thread Ben and hope you get the one you truly want! Also as for strap Patek can also always make custom one if standard doesn't fit. The strap is quite easy to adjust even with the screw and you have to try it on properly sized to get comfotable feel. Cheers,

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2014, 12:13 PM   #4
MrJ320
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: @j.project
Great post Ben, and glad you got to try both the 5980 and 5712 and see them side by side. I guess finding the perfect watch is part of the journey and fun, so all the best with your search for your next PP! I think you should try your friend's 5980R again with the strap adjusted if you get the chance to see if that might change your mind on how it feels on your wrist.
MrJ320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2014, 12:19 PM   #5
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP

Can't comment on the 5980R because all I seen is Ken's picks. I love my 5712R and is the perfect Nautilus for me. But you are right on with the decision of walking away, it's a lot of cash and you have to be sure it's the right piece for you. I have to say that the dial of the 5712R it really changes greatly depending on the lighting, sometimes it looks brown, sometimes it looks grayish, sometimes even bluish. So it's hard to see all that under the AD's lighting.

Best of luck , if this is not the right watch for you be patient, it will come and you will know it

Sent from the 3 Watches Philosophy Company headquarters

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2014, 01:15 PM   #6
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Ben, have you tried the 5167r? I think it meets all your requirements.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2014, 02:07 PM   #7
lee2777
"TRF" Member

Hi, personally I feel that the 5712 very thin. Well both is nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2673.jpg (119.0 KB, 1144 views)
lee2777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2014, 02:45 PM   #8
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
5980 for me!

You can always adjust the strap, or add a hole, or put a short/long strap on it...
Old 4 October 2014, 03:25 PM   #9
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Ben.. May I share some of my personal opinion on the nautilus range.. i personally find the 5712 despite being a smaller watch than the 5980, the slim case is can be uncomfortable on a small wrist like a 5711.. However, the 5980 with a much thicker case fit smaller rounded wrist much better. Weird I know but my Mrs (Jen) is using a 5980/1A (white dial) currently (replaced her white 5711, now sitting in the safe)... (Same as Ken, 5726 did nothing for me and Jen. As what Mike suggested, 5167R maybe a better watch if you don't mind the rubber strap, then again, rubber is perfect for our humid climate here, tidak berbau boleh membasuh lagi ;) ) .. Good luck with your hunt, cheers! HAGWE! .. James
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2014, 07:24 PM   #10
travisb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes..
Nice comparison and pics. Always fun to explore the next purchase.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2014, 08:32 PM   #11
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
For me the 5980R is very hard to beat and is clear winner in my book! Taste of course is subjective and others will like 5712 more. I can tell you one thing is I am not a fan of the 5726 myself so wouldn't even go in that direction. Looking at past posts I can tell your heart says 5980R so that is the one....You will get used to the price over time as the dial and warm RG case take you over. Great thread Ben and hope you get the one you truly want! Also as for strap Patek can also always make custom one if standard doesn't fit. The strap is quite easy to adjust even with the screw and you have to try it on properly sized to get comfotable feel. Cheers,
Indeed I agree with you. 5980R is still the one in my heart. But after trying out yesterday, I have doubts about the comfort factor. I will try again at the AD this time with some strap adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJ320 View Post
Great post Ben, and glad you got to try both the 5980 and 5712 and see them side by side. I guess finding the perfect watch is part of the journey and fun, so all the best with your search for your next PP! I think you should try your friend's 5980R again with the strap adjusted if you get the chance to see if that might change your mind on how it feels on your wrist.
Yup, that's what I plan to do. Thanks for the input James.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
Can't comment on the 5980R because all I seen is Ken's picks. I love my 5712R and is the perfect Nautilus for me. But you are right on with the decision of walking away, it's a lot of cash and you have to be sure it's the right piece for you. I have to say that the dial of the 5712R it really changes greatly depending on the lighting, sometimes it looks brown, sometimes it looks grayish, sometimes even bluish. So it's hard to see all that under the AD's lighting.
This could be. The showroom lighting was rather harsh. But when I bring the watch outside the showroom, it's still that greyish tone that I really aren't fond of. It looks very how I say... "washout". I recall the 5712R does looks much better than what I saw in the AD when I saw it the last time. Do you think PP might have modified the dial in the recent release? Or it is because of comparison to the 5980R that makes the 5712R looks less "POP"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Ben, have you tried the 5167r? I think it meets all your requirements.

That's an idea! I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
Ben.. May I share some of my personal opinion on the nautilus range.. i personally find the 5712 despite being a smaller watch than the 5980, the slim case is can be uncomfortable on a small wrist like a 5711.. However, the 5980 with a much thicker case fit smaller rounded wrist much better. Weird I know but my Mrs (Jen) is using a 5980/1A (white dial) currently (replaced her white 5711, now sitting in the safe)... (Same as Ken, 5726 did nothing for me and Jen. As what Mike suggested, 5167R maybe a better watch if you don't mind the rubber strap, then again, rubber is perfect for our humid climate here, tidak berbau boleh membasuh lagi ;) ) .. Good luck with your hunt, cheers! HAGWE! .. James
Thanks for your insight James. During my try out yesterday, the 5712R is lighter so more comfortable while the 5980R is very top heavy. It could well be the strap is too tight thus pressing the full weight of the RG case against my wrist. I didn't adjust the 5980R to try again as it was my friend's watch. I'll try it at the AD again as they also have a piece.

Will also try the 5167R as Mike has suggested. Benar di Indo sama Malaysia panas kalau pakai tali karet lebih cocok.
Old 4 October 2014, 08:56 PM   #12
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
This could be. The showroom lighting was rather harsh. But when I bring the watch outside the showroom, it's still that greyish tone that I really aren't fond of. It looks very how I say... "washout". I recall the 5712R does looks much better than what I saw in the AD when I saw it the last time. Do you think PP might have modified the dial in the recent release? Or it is because of comparison to the 5980R that makes the 5712R looks less "POP"?

I think the 5712 on strap is very comfortable. But to the point of the color of the dial, It might have something to do the fact that the 5980 has this bullseye white halo that makes the dial reflect different. If Patek changed the color of they dial of the 5712R, I don't know.

Regards

Sent from the 3 Watches Philosophy Company headquarters

Albert Einstein
Old 5 October 2014, 12:46 AM   #13
el1125
Banned

el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2014, 01:05 AM   #14
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Now if you are patient, I really like this 5980

5980.jpg

Albert Einstein
Old 5 October 2014, 01:15 AM   #15
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
Now if you are patient, I really like this 5980

Attachment 541023
The Ultimate Nautilus!

I am actually considering this as well. But to be able to afford this will requires flipping, something that I am not fond of doing.
Old 5 October 2014, 01:22 AM   #16
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
That 5980r on bracelet - speechless. Wow.
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2014, 01:42 AM   #17
texex91
"TRF" Member

Wait for the 5990 to come out in RG
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2014, 02:06 AM   #18
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Interesting post, Ben. I tried both of these out and the dial of the 5712r is greyish most of the time but that didn't bother me. I liked the 5980r too but the price is pretty daunting, esp for a strapped watch.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2014, 02:18 AM   #19
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
My comfort story (Rolex content!):
I bought an 18K Daytona on bracelet, thinking here is the (near) ultimate Daytona (which I still love).
The weight was not the delight many find it to be. It kept shifting away to the outside of my wrist, and I kept fiddling to move it back. Tightened it, same thing. Loosened it, same thing with the occasional drop down to my hand. With a heavy heart, I had to admit the heavy beautiful beast simply did not fit my wrist.
Now wearing a stainless Aquanaut, which I suspect would have similar comfort in gold. I just don't like pink gold on my pale skin.
So I echo the advice to try a 5167R. And I empathize about the comfort (lack thereof) of a top-heavy watch.
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2014, 02:28 AM   #20
travisb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes..
If at all the 5980r is an option, I'd go for that even if it meant flipping.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2014, 06:59 AM   #21
Jabberjaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Exposure View Post
My comfort story (Rolex content!):
I bought an 18K Daytona on bracelet, thinking here is the (near) ultimate Daytona (which I still love).
The weight was not the delight many find it to be. It kept shifting away to the outside of my wrist, and I kept fiddling to move it back. Tightened it, same thing. Loosened it, same thing with the occasional drop down to my hand. With a heavy heart, I had to admit the heavy beautiful beast simply did not fit my wrist.
Now wearing a stainless Aquanaut, which I suspect would have similar comfort in gold. I just don't like pink gold on my pale skin.
So I echo the advice to try a 5167R. And I empathize about the comfort (lack thereof) of a top-heavy watch.
I am having the same issue with my 5296G. It is not well balanced as the 5167 and not sure if it is the size or the weight. Thinking of buying the fold over clasp for $3,500 but would the fold over make a difference at this point or am I better off just selling it.
Jabberjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2014, 07:07 AM   #22
MrJ320
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: @j.project
Oh, the 5980/1R is out of this world. However, if Ben thought the 5980R was heavy, not sure if the 5980/1R would be a good fit, but full gold Pateks doesn't get much better than that.
MrJ320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2014, 08:34 AM   #23
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberjaw View Post
I am having the same issue with my 5296G. It is not well balanced as the 5167 and not sure if it is the size or the weight. Thinking of buying the fold over clasp for $3,500 but would the fold over make a difference at this point or am I better off just selling it.

That's my only other Patek (same exact model) but I have no issue with the fit? Seems (to me) lightweight compared to a gold Rolex Professional Series on bracelet. But every wrist and fit preference is different. I couldn't answer your query about the deployant. I suspect if it's not comfy with the strap alone it may be similar with the deployant, and who wants to make a $3,500 gamble? That would buy a pre-loved Rolex Explorer II!
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2014, 09:33 AM   #24
venom43
"TRF" Member

Watch: Grail Daytona
Icon6

I will agree...I tired it on a couple of weeks ago and saw the grayish color more strongly then the brown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (80.1 KB, 945 views)
ROLEX:(116200)SS DATEJUST,(216570)SS EXPLORER II "POLAR",*(116518-0073)YG DAYTONA*,(116718)YG GMT MASTER IIc,(16610)SS SUBMARINER 50th LV,(16623)TT YACHT-MASTER ~BREITLING:SUPER OCEAN 44 ~JLC:NAVY SEALs ~OMEGA:PLANET OCEAN "LIQUIDMETAL LE" & (2201.51),SPEEEDMASTER PRO "METEORITE DIAL",SEAMASTER PRO GMT "GREAT WHITE" ~TUDOR:BLACK BAY(R)
venom43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2014, 10:18 AM   #25
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom43 View Post
I tired it on a couple of weeks ago and saw the grayish color more strongly then the brown.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2014, 01:17 PM   #26
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Question, is the 5980 a modular Chrono ?

Albert Einstein
Old 5 October 2014, 01:29 PM   #27
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
5980 is stunning.
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2014, 01:29 PM   #28
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Watch: the shoes.
If you can get it buy it. One of the most beautiful watches ive ever seen.

Sent from my Iphone while at a AD.
Silvio Mosiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2014, 04:14 PM   #29
benlee
"TRF" Member

*** Try Outs - Continued ***

Ok, so I am back to the store again, trying out the Nautilus RG pieces and this time also the Aquanault 5167R.

First, the 5712R again. I know now why the dial appears greyish. It's actually reflecting the florescent lighting in the AD's showroom. When view at an angle instead of directly, the greyishness disappear and replaced by a more darker brown hue which is much more pleasing. But viewing the dial directly, even in subdue lighting, the greyish huges appears again. So I am still not convinced.

Next, I tried the 5980R again, this time with the strap loosen by a hole. The "press-down" effect of the top heavy watch unfortunately is still there. It's not as bad as when the strap was tight but I can definitely feel it. **Sigh**. Sadly, I think this watch is just not for me.

Now the big kahuna. The 5980/1R is here! I asked to try and put it on.

And surprise! It's actually fits well. The watch is of course heavier than the 5980R and top heavy, but the full RG bracelet actually helps to spread out the weight so it does not press against my wrist anymore, something that the leather strap with deployment was unable to do. The dial is the same as the 5980R with the chrono subdial in white lines. It's a stunning watch. This would be the Nautilus I should get if not for the price-tag. But what do you guys think? Too bling? Shouty?

Lastly, the RG 5167R.

I was unable to actually try out the watch because the rubber strap needed to be cut to adjust to it's size. I will presume it will be a good fit as the rubber strap feels very flexible. I was surprise also how thin the Aquanault is, possibly no thicker than my Jumbo which measures 8mm. The RG case is absolutely mesmerizing as per above photo, with alternative polished and brushed surfaces, just like what I have seen in the PP Salon in Geneva. My only gripe, the dial is kind of simple and there is no complication other than date.

Now back to the drawing table. Further analysis and contemplation...
Old 5 October 2014, 06:52 PM   #30
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Great post ,have you tried the watch on natural light too ?pp dials are like chameleons

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote