The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 January 2015, 01:21 PM   #1
Bowlerhat
"TRF" Member

Gaining time while jogging

I am a newbie Rolex owner and have just bought a GMT 2. I set it on Christmas day and it lost 2 seconds over the first 3 weeks. Delighted. I do a lot of exercise and always wear the watch. However, when I went jogging, after 3 weeks of ownership, it gained 35 seconds over a 30 minute run. It then returned to its near perfect accuracy, but around this new datum. I have ran with it twice since and it gained around 10 seconds on both occasions. I checked the threads and found some discussions based around the way repetitive rhythmic motion generates centripetal force and through it an acceleration of the the "tick" and deceleration of the "rock" on the escapement and therefore a gain in time. Although the time gain seemed excessive for such an expensive watch, the principle made sense so I relaxed a bit. However, yesterday I did my usual jogging route with my venerable Oris diver on my wrist and it was +/- 0 over 30 minutes. I am about to put the Rolex in its box and take it back to the dealer, but before I do am I missing something? The only doubt I have is that if the watch was 'broken' its steady state accuracy would not be so good (or it simply wouldn't work at all). Thanks team.
Bowlerhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2015, 06:11 PM   #2
Banned

Could be magnetized. First take it in to be demagnetized (I think most AD's can do this?), go on a run and check it out, and then go from there. Sorry to ask but why would you want to run with a GMT master? It should be built to handle it if you insist on running with it.
997.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2015, 06:28 PM   #3
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Rapid shaking/vibration/jarring can cause a watch to run fast for short time while the escapement returns to normal.

Not uncommon.

Some owners use rapid shaking to speed up watch that is running slow - not recommended.

If a watch becomes 'magnetised' you would normally see a much bigger rate increase, most likely in minutes/day.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2015, 10:41 PM   #4
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 997.2 View Post
Could be magnetized. First take it in to be demagnetized (I think most AD's can do this?), go on a run and check it out, and then go from there. Sorry to ask but why would you want to run with a GMT master? It should be built to handle it if you insist on running with it.
Highly unlikely, especially with modern watches. If it were, it would never go back to running with accuracy, and would stay off/erratic all the time.

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2015, 10:43 PM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Rapid shaking/vibration/jarring can cause a watch to run fast for short time while the escapement returns to normal.

Not uncommon.

Some owners use rapid shaking to speed up watch that is running slow - not recommended.

If a watch becomes 'magnetised' you would normally see a much bigger rate increase, most likely in minutes/day.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2015, 10:48 PM   #6
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post

Not uncommon.

Spot on.

To the OP, I've noticed the same thing with certain Rolex references as opposed to other watches with other movements. I've wondered if it's something with the 3xxx movements, but I don't know.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2015, 11:21 PM   #7
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
I know a lot of people jog with their watch on but I would just buy a G-Shock for exercising.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2015, 11:47 PM   #8
GTC
Banned

Watch: 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags View Post
I know a lot of people jog with their watch on but I would just buy a G-Shock for exercising.
If I have to change watches based on normal activity such as a three mile run, I've got the wrong sports watch in the first place.
GTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2015, 12:40 AM   #9
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTC View Post
If I have to change watches based on normal activity such as a three mile run, I've got the wrong sports watch in the first place.
I agree with this statement! Rolex watches are sports watches and therefore should be able to take some exercising.
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2015, 02:26 AM   #10
Jari from Finland
"TRF" Member

I think that it is worth of taking for being checked. When I myself go jogging I use Polar sportwatch, while having a workout at the gym or when swimming I usually leave the watch at home because there are watches on the walls to check the time.
Old 30 January 2015, 02:32 AM   #11
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
It's definitely going to gain time, but luckily there's an easy fix...don't wear it while running.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2015, 02:33 AM   #12
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
I change watches every time I swim because the Rolex is lousy at tracking distance in comparison to my Garmin Swim. If I were running I'd likely wear a specialized watch to help me improve and keep track. There are some things Rolexes don't do.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2015, 02:52 AM   #13
GTC
Banned

Watch: 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I change watches every time I swim because the Rolex is lousy at tracking distance in comparison to my Garmin Swim. If I were running I'd likely wear a specialized watch to help me improve and keep track. There are some things Rolexes don't do.
Accepted and respected. For me, I want a Swiss knife to the extent possible. I wear an Exp II 98% of my life because I don't want watches laying around ready to jump on my wrist depending on what I'm doing.

If I'm swimming I can count laps and the watch can stay on (don't swim as much anymore), and if I'm running I don't need a Daytona to keep the time around a fixed distance, if I'm training at the criminal justice training center, the Exp II can take the sustained recoil on the range, if I'm just returning from Istanbul (which I did Tues), I knew what time it was at home too; and, the Exp II was fine in business clothes in the NGO board meeting I attended there.

Just a different approach.
GTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2015, 04:22 AM   #14
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
It's definitely going to gain time, but luckily there's an easy fix...don't wear it while running.
No.

Quote:
Yes...
Old 30 January 2015, 04:55 AM   #15
Bowlerhat
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys. However, I'm still none the wiser. Some say the gain is normal, others not. I am absolutelty convinced that a Ł6500 sports watch should be able to stand up to a 30 minute jog - c'mon! However, given the inter-woven complexity of a mechanical movement, if the bit that keeps time during "shock" is broken, the watch is unlikely to maintain its accuracy when it's not under "shock" (e.g. the 30 minute jog). Therefore my rather unsophisticated conclusion is that the Rolex movement is pretty poor at timekeeping beyond benign conditions. Is this really the case?
Old 30 January 2015, 08:07 AM   #16
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmfnla View Post

No.
Actually yes...I run 3 or 4 times a week and wearing a watch doesn't work for me. I simply prefer not having one on. The horror, I know, of not having one's watch on for an hour or so.

And the great thing about this forum is we can all have different opinions without being labeled right or wrong...or yes or no.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2015, 08:40 AM   #17
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
do you wear your rolex lifting weights?
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2015, 08:43 AM   #18
CoachRolexRyan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deep Sea
If its gaining time only when you're jogging,...maybe it's because you're running faster than you used to??
Old 30 January 2015, 08:51 AM   #19
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Actually yes...I run 3 or 4 times a week and wearing a watch doesn't work for me. I simply prefer not having one on. The horror, I know, of not having one's watch on for an hour or so.

And the great thing about this forum is we can all have different opinions without being labeled right or wrong...or yes or no.
I agree with you 100%. Of course I could run with a heavy Sub, and if my wrist gets huge with the effort or heat I could just stop running and use the glidelock clasp to make it comfortable again, but the question is why would I want to do that..

ps. OP, your watch is fine.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2015, 10:40 AM   #20
RollieVerde
Banned

Quote:
Accepted and respected. For me, I want a Swiss knife to the extent possible. I wear an Exp II 98% of my life because I don't want watches laying around ready to jump on my wrist depending on what I'm doing.

If I'm swimming I can count laps and the watch can stay on (don't swim as much anymore), and if I'm running I don't need a Daytona to keep the time around a fixed distance, if I'm training at the criminal justice training center, the Exp II can take the sustained recoil on the range, if I'm just returning from Istanbul (which I did Tues), I knew what time it was at home too; and, the Exp II was fine in business clothes in the NGO board meeting I attended there.

This versatility is what attracted me to Rolex/Tudor in the first place. I really think this is what the Oyster range is all about.
RollieVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2015, 03:14 PM   #21
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:

If I'm swimming I can count laps and the watch can stay on (don't swim as much anymore), ...

I used to wear my Rolex swimming. Then I started hour long swims with 100ish laps. Then I started swimming multiple miles with 140 or more laps. I can't keep track by counting because I lose track and get into debates with myself as to wear in the routine I am; thus a need for a watch that does it automatically. It is so much less stressful. If I were running, swimming, and biking then I'd likely go with a Garmin 910 or 920XT. If I didn't need the higher tech approach I would use my Rolexes as I used to. My sanity has value however.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2015, 02:22 AM   #22
ceo012384
"TRF" Member

If you eclipsed the speed of light on your run, then time may have been reversed... that explains it.
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2015, 02:29 AM   #23
MTROIS
Banned

I have no problem with mine due to jogs or physical activity.
You may want to have it checked.
Also, what reference do you use to compare times?
MTROIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2015, 02:48 AM   #24
chong2k
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
Can you damage your Rolex movement through jogging?

Usually I don't use my watch while running but when on vacation I'd feel better with the watch on my wrist while jogging, instead of staying in the hotel room/safe.

If the only downside would be a temporary speed increase - no problem. If I could damage the watch by, say, 10-15x running a year while wearing it - problem...
chong2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2015, 02:47 PM   #25
Bowlerhat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTROIS View Post
I have no problem with mine due to jogs or physical activity.
You may want to have it checked.
Also, what reference do you use to compare times?
I check the watch against my iPad clock before I run and then again on return. I know an iPad clock can jump a little as it changes satellites (I think), but the 'gain while jogging' has happened on four separate occasions now, so it's not a flook. I would never wear the Rolex for a contact sport, or say squash, but for a jog in the park it should IMHO be spot on - especially as far cheaper watches are.
Old 1 February 2015, 10:30 AM   #26
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
Highly unlikely, especially with modern watches. If it were, it would never go back to running with accuracy, and would stay off/erratic all the time.

My dad has a pretty new Zenith Defy which I would consider modern. It was magnetized and was gaining time like crazy. We demagnetized it and it was all good to go.
997.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2015, 09:05 AM   #27
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
I agree with you 100%. Of course I could run with a heavy Sub, and if my wrist gets huge with the effort or heat I could just stop running and use the glidelock clasp to make it comfortable again, but the question is why would I want to do that..

ps. OP, your watch is fine.
Both your preference; GTC's preference is to wear his while jogging.

My point is he should be able to do that if he wants, not be told his only choice is to not or to wear another watch...
Old 2 February 2015, 09:45 AM   #28
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmfnla View Post
Both your preference; GTC's preference is to wear his while jogging.

My point is he should be able to do that if he wants, not be told his only choice is to not or to wear another watch...
Ok
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2015, 09:46 AM   #29
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Ok
Old 2 February 2015, 11:31 AM   #30
Flintstone
"TRF" Member