The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 May 2016, 03:43 PM   #1
Daycruiser
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO 5712
Gold Rolex, douchey or classy?

I reckon a guy over 35 in a suit can easily pull of a Sky-D in yellow gold or even an all gold sub.

For the under 35 crowd in casual clothing I would say stay the hell away from an all gold watch. Somehow it just gives of the vibe of trying too hard and tacky.

What do you guys think?
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 03:52 PM   #2
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I think.....the person him/herself defines douchey or classy....the watch usually has little to do with this.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 03:52 PM   #3
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Can be both, depends on the wearer
Old 26 May 2016, 03:52 PM   #4
AJM914
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
I like all gold.....personally i love my two tone date just and wear it with anything
AJM914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 03:53 PM   #5
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
I think.....the person him/herself defines douchey or classy....the watch usually has little to do with this.
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 04:10 PM   #6
Daycruiser
"TRF" Member

Personally I love the yellow gold blue face Sub, its just gorgeous from every angle.

I decided to buy a two toned YM II because I thought it was the most understated and best colour coordinated piece of horology.

That being said, there is something about a young buck rocking an all gold rolex, it seems like a boy trying to fit in his dad's suit, it doesn't look right.
Old 26 May 2016, 04:15 PM   #7
AgentHsu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust
I'm 31 and wear a gold sub. I waited until I took care of my engagement ring, wedding, bought a house for my wife and I, remodeled, saved for traveling, and then, only then, did I pull the trigger.

I love the watch, and care not what anyone thinks. I worked my ass off for it, and it's my grail. I hope anyone else who's in love with a watch would do the same, because they deserve to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (91.7 KB, 7849 views)
AgentHsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 04:23 PM   #8
Daycruiser
"TRF" Member

I am 30, just got the missus an engagement ring, a recent windfall allowed me to pay off my house with spare to pay the downpayment on an investment property. I bought a YM II to celebrate.

Love that watch you have AgentHsu, was really considering that. I will prob get a yellow gold piece after the wedding and when a cheque comes through after a big project!

Cheers and enjoy your success my friend.
Old 26 May 2016, 04:24 PM   #9
Eric Chan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date 118238
The person wears the watch, the watch does not wear the person.

I have seen many guys over 35 who I would consider douchey and at the same time have seen many guys under 35 who I would consider classy. It's all about how you present and carry yourself. If a person does not feel comfortable wearing YG, then it will show. Perhaps it is best to stick to what you are comfortable with and in all honesty, wear what you want and not worry what others think.

Nothing douchey about this reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (104.9 KB, 7813 views)
Old 26 May 2016, 04:50 PM   #10
Lns888
Banned

Watch: PATEK, AP, ROLEX
I love gold and I don't think age matters or what other people think as long as you enjoy it
Lns888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 04:56 PM   #11
Daycruiser
"TRF" Member

Hahahha looks like everyone is digging the YG sub! And yes this is one of the most beautiful piece, I would choose this over the Sky-D tbh.
Old 26 May 2016, 05:11 PM   #12
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

I think there are many more options than classy or douchey. When I first took a passing interest in watches, I saw a kid, mid 20s, maybe 130 lbs. soaking wet and maybe 5'8" sporting jeans, a nondescript tee and a yellow gold YM II. I'm 49 and thought to myself "dude looks cool." I had never considered yellow gold in any capacity in my life. Watch looked great on him. I believe there are two ways a watch can look great- 1) if it is an extension of oneself wherein the wearer becomes the person they've always wanted to be (pardon the melodrama) and 2) when a watch seems to be such a part of the person, they appear to have been wearing it since birth. Watch people typically seem to favor one of these options over the other and by no small margin. I believe if a watch doesn't resonate in one of these ways, it will appeared contrived and unconvincing i.e. tacky, forced, and on occasion, all the way to douchey.
dadonn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 05:13 PM   #13
Star Ferry
Banned

If the gold watch is being used to prop up a fragile ego, then it will accentuate the wearer's already-douchey persona.

If the watch is worn by a mature adult who happens to enjoy the look and feel of gold, then it's acceptable, but not everyone will agree that it's classy.

In my experience, maturity has a positive (but far from perfect) correlation with age. I had friends in college who were already mature. I've also met "successful" guys in their 40's and 50's who are defensive, insecure and far from mature.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 05:18 PM   #14
jackass266
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II BLNR
I have always bought my watches for me to wear, not for someone else to look at. For the exception of the yachtmaster I bought my wife, that one I bought for someone else then the wearer to look at... ME.
jackass266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 05:25 PM   #15
Daycruiser
"TRF" Member

Looks like this conversation is elevating into a more sophisticated discussion about what a watch means.

Personally the DSSD D-blue is my fave watch, it stands for the ingenuity of mankind and our ceasely thirst for exploration and adventure. It is a modern symbol of man's curiosity. I wear it like an extension to my body.

Love the YM II TT and the beautiful colours, but to me it doesn't quite have the same meaning to me.

YG is a little flashy for me, I don't think it suits my personality, although I love admiring its beauty in a box.
Old 26 May 2016, 05:29 PM   #16
KarlS
Banned

WG no problem....no matter what watch ..... YG and big just says "notice me!!" as does one blinged out in diamonds etc etc. Each to their own I guess
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 05:41 PM   #17
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Chaps

A man who wears a gold Rolex needs to have the ability not to give a damn what other people think.

The sorry truth is that it looks gauche.

Wearing a leather strap would be adviseable.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 05:42 PM   #18
NafizAliKhan
"TRF" Member

I think Yellow gold goes well with darker skin tones, better than white gold.
NafizAliKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 05:59 PM   #19
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Who cares what others think I like Gold so I wear them end of story.
Old 26 May 2016, 06:10 PM   #20
dht_tubes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
For me my watch, my taste, my wrist

I don't care what other people thought!!! just only my satisfaction.

but when you wear something like this other dangerous thing should be aware about safety from criminal in some place.

dht_tubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 06:42 PM   #21
dddl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What?
I prefer YG and TT, but then I'm older then 35... 45... 55... 65.
dddl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 07:03 PM   #22
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
I can't pull it off but that's my problem. By no means is it douchey.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 07:07 PM   #23
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
if you think that people judge you by the watch you wear ,,,,, then simply put, your not ready for a gold anything.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 07:10 PM   #24
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysondiver View Post
if you think that people judge you by the watch you wear ,,,,, then simply put, your not ready for a gold anything.
You think people don't judge you by the clothes you wear, the tattoos you may or may not have, your accent, how you walk, how you look and what jewelry you may or may not wear???
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 07:12 PM   #25
travisb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes..
Depends on the wearer.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 07:15 PM   #26
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
You think people don't judge you by the clothes you wear, the tattoos you may or may not have, your accent, how you walk, how you look and what jewelry you may or may not wear???
a first impression is just that ,,, its formed in a second ,,, true , but i dont think they look at the watch your wearing , dress stance and presence yes... after that its by what you do , or in a lot of cases , dont do.
I do think that if you have to ask , then your not ready ,, im also a firm believer in the old saying , never judge a book by its cover ... but not every one thinks that way , and id be lying if i said i hadnt done it in the past too.
but fair comment.
Old 26 May 2016, 07:18 PM   #27
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

yes, it depends on the wearer, but it also depends on those around the person doing the wearing.

there are some douches that will automatically think someone wearing a gold rolex is a douche regardless of whether the person wearing the gold rolex actually is a douche or not a douche.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 07:18 PM   #28
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
In my world you are judged by your accomplishments not your material possessions or image. Guess that is why I feel the material of your watch is irrelevant.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 07:24 PM   #29
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
yes, it depends on the wearer, but it also depends on those around the person doing the wearing.

there are some douches that will automatically think someone wearing a gold rolex is a douche regardless of whether the person wearing the gold rolex actually is a douche or not a douche.
maybe a gold rolex works as a personality mirror ,,,, now theres a concept.
Old 26 May 2016, 07:27 PM   #30
Daycruiser
"TRF" Member

Guys there are two different worlds operating in parallel to each other

There are the niche, the watch lovers, who could appreciate a gold watch for the quality of its metal, the design of the watch and the combination of craftsmanship, luxury and function. For such a crowd it does really depend on the wearer.

There is also a cultural element. I live in Asia, and gold is considered "traditional" Jewelry, and to break away from that most young and upwardly mobile gents would avoid a gold watch to avoid coming across as "old fashioned".

Then there are the masses. A Rolex, like it or not, is a status symbol. People will make snap judgements of you. Being in a pluralistic society that is in general quite materialistic, the gold watch to some reflects some of the biggest evils facing our society right now as it has a Gordon Gekko-esque association to it.

I personally appreciate the workmanship and due to the fact that I spent my youth exploring the arctics and the Himalayas, watches like the explorer and DSSD really speaks to me. Additionally, I was given my first Rolex when my mom passed away, so somehow the brand really resonates with me and all Rolex to me has a deep sentimental value. I avoid gold simply because I think gold makes me look like a pimp rather than the versatile person that I am.

I guess the watch is an extension of oneself, and gold simply does not resonate with me.