The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 June 2016, 02:22 AM   #1
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
16520 prices

In the past month or two I've noticed that the prices for Zenith Daytonas seem to be on the rise. Whereas one could be had for around $8-9.5k a couple months ago, it now seems these are trading hands for $10-11k+.

Has anyone else noticed this trend? I'm guessing this is a direct result of the discontinuation of 116520.
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2016, 02:26 AM   #2
bebeqq1231
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, Pam 233,
Yes, price has been increase for the 116520
bebeqq1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2016, 09:10 AM   #3
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebeqq1231 View Post
Yes, price has been increase for the 116520

Don't think so on the 116520, they are currently lower than before due to new ceramic release / people upgrading. Think eventually will rise again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2016, 09:29 AM   #4
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Seen a few on Thursday for 10.2 with papers in Singapore. Price seemed to be fair.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2016, 09:42 AM   #5
Jamiewabbit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
Seen a few on Thursday for 10.2 with papers in Singapore. Price seemed to be fair.
Hi , we're they brand new in USD?

Cheers
Jamiewabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2016, 09:44 AM   #6
Robert993
"TRF" Member

Yes, brand new 116520 are going up, Daytona C isn't a upgrade, just new.
Robert993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2016, 09:45 AM   #7
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
OP asked about the 16520. Pretty sure Steve was answering that.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2016, 10:29 AM   #8
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
OP asked about the 16520. Pretty sure Steve was answering that.
Thanks Adam!! Yes, that was exactly what I was referring too
Old 4 June 2016, 11:05 AM   #9
TimeToWatch
Banned

Quote:
Interesting...is there a rule of thumb for how much you would discount a watch for lacking papers vs the full set?
Old 4 June 2016, 11:27 AM   #10
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschneid View Post
Interesting...is there a rule of thumb for how much you would discount a watch for lacking papers vs the full set?

Not sure of an actual rule of thim, but everything else being the same (conditions of watch) would say about $600-1000 difference

Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
Old 4 June 2016, 11:33 AM   #11
sunspot2013
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Daytona/GMTII
I've been watching 16520 prices for about 4 months or so closely and I am not sure there has been enough time yet since the release of the 116500 for one to conclude that we are seeing an upward trend in prices. 16520's don't come up for sale on the forums that much. I've seen several well before Basel asking $10-$11k, others for $8-$9k - depends on seller and more importantly condition, box/papers, etc.. I say give it some more time and allow a bigger sample size.
sunspot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2016, 11:37 AM   #12
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It is a very subjective point. Most of the pricing is based on condition. Papers on this model may add a few hundred, the box isn't too big of a deal (most dealers have ample boxes in case it is a deal breaker).

I know several members are big on complete sets but many vintage enthusiasts would never pass on a piece due to papers or a box.

99% of the time I leave the box at my dealer (non AD) and take the papers and manuals as it takes up less storage in my case.

At my AD, I take everything as my house is close.
Old 4 June 2016, 11:46 AM   #13
TimeToWatch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspot2013 View Post
I've been watching 16520 prices for about 4 months or so closely and I am not sure there has been enough time yet since the release of the 116500 for one to conclude that we are seeing an upward trend in prices. 16520's don't come up for sale on the forums that much. I've seen several well before Basel asking $10-$11k, others for $8-$9k - depends on seller and more importantly condition, box/papers, etc.. I say give it some more time and allow a bigger sample size.
Glad you've had a close eye on these, that's good to know. I think if the 116500 sees any price increases these should see a nice bump.
Old 4 June 2016, 11:49 AM   #14
TimeToWatch
Banned

Quote:
It is a very subjective point. Most of the pricing is based on condition. Papers on this model may add a few hundred, the box isn't too big of a deal (most dealers have ample boxes in case it is a deal breaker).

I know several members are big on complete sets but many vintage enthusiasts would never pass on a piece due to papers or a box.

99% of the time I leave the box at my dealer (non AD) and take the papers and manuals as it takes up less storage in my case.

At my AD, I take everything as my house is close.
Good to know, thanks. I'm somewhat indifferent over papers. I wouldn't pass up a rare opportunity to grab a watch over their omission. Certainly a nice thing to have though.
Old 4 June 2016, 11:55 AM   #15
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
I have noticed the prices of the 16520 have been low for the last year, if they go up a bit that would just bring them to normal.

Many sellers base their price off what competition they see in the FS adds, so if they see a few for X, they think that is what they should ask... What they actually get may be different.
Old 4 June 2016, 11:57 AM   #16
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Ive noticed about a 10% increase
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2016, 11:58 AM   #17
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good to know, thanks. I'm somewhat indifferent over papers. I wouldn't pass up a rare opportunity to grab a watch over their omission. Certainly a nice thing to have though.
Good attitude to have! Makes life a whole lot easier to be open minded on these things. A good point to remember is you will get a service card for the watch the first time you send it in to an RSC for a service.

I really hope you find the exact piece that makes you happy!!! They are really beautiful!!!
Old 4 June 2016, 01:01 PM   #18
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
16520 prices

I have been watching the Daytona market for a few months and also believe there has been a slight upswing in prices on 4,5 and 6 digit references. I was mainly looking for a 4 digit reference but when doing searches see the other models. Did not really see much increase initially after the Basel announcement, but more so after all the incomings and threads about waiting lists.

Sellers are smart. Demand is up so prices go up. Even those that were not Daytona fans start getting swayed by all the discussions and threads. I think demand will stay up so prices will most likely keep increasing. Has not been a huge increase but slow and steady. I may just wait now until things settle down.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2016, 08:04 PM   #19
belligero
Banned

Timely topic for me; I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a nice 16520 for a while, and one in nice condition came up in April, keenly priced from a top-notch seller, so I snagged it.

I see the apparent springtime price drop on these as an anomaly. The demand was always far higher for the 16520 than the supply, due to its limited movement availability. Rolex only really caught up with steel Daytona demand recently, during 116520 production, and now of course there's a much-hyped new version.

It appears that prices may have increased in the intervening few months, though the sample size is too small to make any meaningful conclusions. (Besides, it's kind of silly to look at prices just after you've bought, anyway.)

I can't see these getting any cheaper in the long run. The Zenith-based 4030 movement, though inferior to the 4130, is still a very special commodity. It was handmade to an extent that we'll never see again from Rolex; they turned it into a much different (and better) movement than its Zenith base, which involved replacing half the components.

Also, I think the 16520 combines the best aesthetic features of the 116520 and the 116500, with its all-steel build (I don't consider the ceramic bezel to be an upgrade) combined with solid black-on-white subdial rings. Plus the thinner indices and hands give it a somewhat more-refined look than the fatter ones on the later models.

Though the new one ain't bad, and I have and appreciate the 116520, the 16520 is certainly the least-common and (in my opinion) the best-looking self-winding Daytona version, which leads me to believe that they'll hold their value very well, indeed.

Personally, I feel that the 4030-movement Daytona (and the Oysterquartz) are still underappreciated in terms of collectibility potential. In both cases, they were made in relatively small numbers (though for different reasons). Also, they both combine the charm of vintage with the worry-free ownership proposition of more recent watches.

But it's a bit foolish to speculate about value, as there's no real way of knowing what's going to happen. I just think it's a great watch for wearing, and that's reason enough to have one:

I won't be getting rid of my 116520 any time soon, either. Once the hype around the new 116500 dies down, I think people will start to realize that the ceramic look makes it a somewhat less-versatile and less-coherent watch than its predecessor.
belligero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2016, 08:18 PM   #20
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligero View Post
Timely topic for me; I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a nice 16520 for a while, and one in nice condition came up in April, keenly priced from a top-notch seller, so I snagged it.

I see the apparent springtime price drop on these as an anomaly. The demand was always far higher for the 16520 than the supply, due to its limited movement availability. Rolex only really caught up with steel Daytona demand recently, during 116520 production, and now of course there's a much-hyped new version.

It appears that prices may have increased in the intervening few months, though the sample size is too small to make any meaningful conclusions. (Besides, it's kind of silly to look at prices just after you've bought, anyway.)

The Zenith-based 4030 movement, though inferior to the 4130, is still a very special commodity. It was handmade to an extent that we'll never see again from Rolex; they turned it into a much different (and better) movement than its Zenith base, which involved replacing half the components.

Also, I think the 16520 combines the best aesthetic features of the 116520 and the 116500, with its all-steel build (I don't consider the ceramic bezel to be an upgrade) combined with solid black-on-white subdial rings. Also, the thinner indices and hands give it somewhat more of a refined look than the fatter ones on the later models.

Though I have and appreciate the 116520, the 16520 is certainly the least-common and (in my opinion) the best-looking self-winding Daytona, which leads me to believe that they'll hold their value very well, indeed.

Personally, I feel that the 4030-movement Daytona (and the Oysterquartz) are still underappreciated in terms of collectibility potential. In both cases, they were made in relatively small numbers (though for different reasons). Also, they both combine the charm of vintage with the worry-free ownership proposition of more recent watches.

But it's a bit foolish to speculate about value, as there's no real way of knowing what's going to happen. I just think it's a great watch for wearing, and that's reason enough:

Well said! 👍🏻

Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
Old 4 June 2016, 10:03 PM   #21
Mrkamir9
"TRF" Member

16520 prices

The 16520 is a tricky watch to price considering all the different dial/bracelet variations. I actually just sold mine for $12k but in excellent unpolished condition, under warranty from recent service. But, if we're talking about early MK dials/inverted 6's, $12k and up is not unreasonable depending on condition/B+P. There are still many under $9k (95' and up), but might not be in the condition your looking for...but they're available.

I personally think the 16520 (like belligero explained) is the best of both worlds. If you can get one with the 802b solid endlink bracelet you've done good! I also had a 116520 black dial, but enjoyed the zenith much more. The placement of the subdials were a big thing for me, and also the stick markers. I will say the 4130 is no joke, one of the best chrono movements I've ever felt through a crown! Power reserve really made a difference as well. Unfortunately I let my 16520 go but it will be worth it when I get "The Call" when my Daytona C comes in! 😏

Here's a few pics of my 16520! She was a good one...

Oh, and I found a NOS SEL bracelet so don't mind the stickers! 😬

Mrkamir9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2016, 10:52 PM   #22
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
It's fair to say that prices of any model will slowly increase over time. Short term price fluctuations typically are more a result of an temporary increase in demand or a "perceived" value increase. I'd say the 16520 may be experiencing a perceived value increase with the Daytona C hype.

Old 4 June 2016, 11:47 PM   #23
TimeToWatch
Banned

Quote:

I can't see these getting any cheaper in the long run. The Zenith-based 4030 movement, though inferior to the 4130, is still a very special commodity. It was handmade to an extent that we'll never see again from Rolex; they turned it into a much different (and better) movement than its Zenith base, which involved replacing half the components.

Also, I think the 16520 combines the best aesthetic features of the 116520 and the 116500, with its all-steel build (I don't consider the ceramic bezel to be an upgrade) combined with solid black-on-white subdial rings. Plus the thinner indices and hands give it a somewhat more-refined look than the fatter ones on the later models.

Though the new one ain't bad, and I have and appreciate the 116520, the 16520 is certainly the least-common and (in my opinion) the best-looking self-winding Daytona version, which leads me to believe that they'll hold their value very well, indeed.

But it's a bit foolish to speculate about value, as there's no real way of knowing what's going to happen. I just think it's a great watch for wearing, and that's reason enough to have one:

I won't be getting rid of my 116520 any time soon, either. Once the hype around the new 116500 dies down, I think people will start to realize that the ceramic look makes it a somewhat less-versatile and less-coherent watch than its predecessor.
Couldn't agree with you more. I, likewise, picked up a 16520 back in February when prices were still low - I simply couldn't resist the bargain. And funny you mention the Oysterquartz, mine says hello...

Old 4 June 2016, 11:49 PM   #24
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Looks to me that Zenith Daytona prices in general are heading up.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2016, 11:51 PM   #25
TimeToWatch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkamir9 View Post
The 16520 is a tricky watch to price considering all the different dial/bracelet variations. I actually just sold mine for $12k but in excellent unpolished condition, under warranty from recent service. But, if we're talking about early MK dials/inverted 6's, $12k and up is not unreasonable depending on condition/B+P. There are still many under $9k (95' and up), but might not be in the condition your looking for...but they're available.

I personally think the 16520 (like belligero explained) is the best of both worlds. If you can get one with the 802b solid endlink bracelet you've done good! I also had a 116520 black dial, but enjoyed the zenith much more. The placement of the subdials were a big thing for me, and also the stick markers. I will say the 4130 is no joke, one of the best chrono movements I've ever felt through a crown! Power reserve really made a difference as well. Unfortunately I let my 16520 go but it will be worth it when I get "The Call" when my Daytona C comes in! 😏

Here's a few pics of my 16520! She was a good one...

Oh, and I found a NOS SEL bracelet so don't mind the stickers! 😬

Wow that's a beautiful example, I really like '98-00 models with the SEL and superluminova. That's good to point out that the dial variations significantly vary in price - I think that just adds to the cool factor of the 16520 in that there are so many subvariants of the watch. Shame you let that go, but I'm sure you won't be giving it a second thought once the ceramic arrives
Old 26 April 2017, 10:47 AM   #26
TimeToWatch
Banned

Not even a year later and prices really seem to have spiked. The least expensive black dial I can find right now is $11.5k..the next cheapest being $14k. White dials are $12k+. Average prices online seem to be $14-15k for both dials. This is nuts!
Old 26 April 2017, 10:53 AM   #27
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Prices now have exploded. An A serial is 15-20k. NOS even more. The most common mid 90's variations are 12-15 and this is all climbing. Pretty amazing.
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 05:00 PM   #28
Recaro18
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16520
Yup! They will just keep on climbing!

You dont see any price drop on any of the older daytonas, so expect to see them just go up in value over time...

~Connecting people through my passion, one timepiece at a time~
Recaro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 07:12 PM   #29
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Not even a year later and prices really seem to have spiked. The least expensive black dial I can find right now is $11.5k..the next cheapest being $14k. White dials are $12k+. Average prices online seem to be $14-15k for both dials. This is nuts!
Actually prices higher if you want excellent examples and complete. Dealers offer $15K to buy so retail much higher as Daytonaman799 stated above.

Also so few are now coming to market so expect prices to keep climbing.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2017, 08:36 PM   #30
ccaballero
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
Quote:

This is a great analysis. I agree the 16520 is aesthetically the best of the modern Daytona. However, there is always very limited supply of these references in good condition out there. People seem to be holding on to these as would I.
ccaballero is offline   Reply With Quote