The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 July 2017, 10:54 AM   #1
Otaru1987
"TRF" Member

New Rolex 10 year service interval

I may be overlooking it but cannot find reference to the 10 year service interval on the Rolex website or in the paperwork included with my SD43. Is this officially stated anywhere?
Otaru1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 10:57 AM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

no. its not a recommendation from Rolex. 10 years is on average how long a typical Rolex owner waits between services. That doesn't make it advisable or necessarily a good idea.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 11:06 AM   #3
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
no. its not a recommendation from Rolex. 10 years is on average how long a typical Rolex owner waits between services. That does
n't make it advisable or necessarily a good idea.

Correct. It is amazing how this folk myth has stuck. Rolex makes no specific recommendation. Never has.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 11:08 AM   #4
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterskinner View Post

Correct. It is amazing how this folk myth has stuck. Rolex makes no specific recommendation. Never has.
The fact that the statistic on average owner service interval is being spun into somehow being an official service interval recommendation from Rolex is pretty deceptive IMO. Ive heard AD's using that line myself (and more than once so it was not an isolated incident) and its just not true.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 11:19 AM   #5
jakeysrolex
Banned

Watch: 116619
Not remotely a good idea. Oils dry up, 5 years is what any decent watchmaker will tell you (yea even synthetics). Look at the oil bottles, they have expiration dates on them. Even though they're super expensive a responsible watchmaker will dispose of any expired ones.

The 3135 movement with dry oil will start to self destruct at the setting wheels which will grind down the mainplate, and the rotor axle will also start doing nasty stuff. Infamous issues on a movement that's almost bullet proof properly serviced, and a time bomb if not.

Also this is one reason I generally don't buy watches more than ~7 years old unless with service papers, since a lot of flunkies will spend five figures on a watch but then look for any excuse not to service it.
jakeysrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 11:25 AM   #6
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
This the only official reference to ten years that I know of. Individual ADs may spin that factoid as they see fit, I guess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex_5_year.jpg (127.9 KB, 414 views)
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 11:43 AM   #7
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

While we are at it, another Rolex myth is that of the transferability of the guarantee. In practice, Rolex has always honoured this right. But the company has never stated in writing that the guarantee is transferable. Never. Goodness knows why.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 11:47 AM   #8
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Salesman at tourneau last week said something I've never heard before.

He claimed that while the overall warranty is 5 years, the hairspring has a 10 year warranty.

Not sure where he pulled that from, but it was tourneau.
Old 24 July 2017, 11:48 AM   #9
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterskinner View Post
While we are at it, another Rolex myth is that of the transferability of the guarantee. In practice, Rolex has always honoured this right. But the company has never stated in writing that the guarantee is transferable. Never. Goodness knows why.
It's not a limited warranty, hence it's transferable. This is standard contract law no matter what BS the RSC in NY might try to pull.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 11:50 AM   #10
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post

He claimed that while the overall warranty is 5 years, the hairspring has a 10 year warranty.

Tourneau salesman today told me he had seen my blue pelagos in red. I think he meant bb but let it slide.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 12:32 PM   #11
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeysrolex View Post
Not remotely a good idea. Oils dry up, 5 years is what any decent watchmaker will tell you (yea even synthetics). Look at the oil bottles, they have expiration dates on them. Even though they're super expensive a responsible watchmaker will dispose of any expired ones.

The 3135 movement with dry oil will start to self destruct at the setting wheels which will grind down the mainplate, and the rotor axle will also start doing nasty stuff. Infamous issues on a movement that's almost bullet proof properly serviced, and a time bomb if not.

Also this is one reason I generally don't buy watches more than ~7 years old unless with service papers, since a lot of flunkies will spend five figures on a watch but then look for any excuse not to service it.
Right on. I picked up a never serviced z serial Sub, and it was telling me it needed a service within a few months. Aside from replacing the rotor axle during the service, all was well.
Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 12:41 PM   #12
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
The fact that the statistic on average owner service interval is being spun into somehow being an official service interval recommendation from Rolex is pretty deceptive IMO. Ive heard AD's using that line myself (and more than once so it was not an isolated incident) and its just not true.
From the perspective of the sales assistants working in the AD's.
I think it's simply ignorance.
In reality how would they know the difference between reality and a myth that they would have reflected back to them by people walking in off the street and tyre kicking that have seen something about a "Rolex newly recommended service interval" on the net.

It's just ignorance plain and simple.

Like they say.
When your ignorant, you don't know how ignorant you are.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 12:45 PM   #13
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post

In general i think we know where he pulled that from.
It's somewhere where the sun doesn't shine
Old 24 July 2017, 12:48 PM   #14
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
From the perspective of the sales assistants working in the AD's.
I think it's simply ignorance.
In reality how would they know the difference between reality and a myth that they would have reflected back to them by people walking in off the street and tyre kicking that have seen something about a "Rolex newly recommended service interval" on the net.

It's just ignorance plain and simple.

Like they say.
When your ignorant, you don't know how ignorant you are.
Was that deliberate?
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 12:55 PM   #15
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
This the only official reference to ten years that I know of. Individual ADs may spin that factoid as they see fit, I guess.
Correct.

part of the blame rests with so called journalists that write for internet based watch enthusiast publications.
It was taken out of context by the author of one publication initially and it was populated by others.
Hence the internet myth.
It wouldn't take much googling to find the source of the original bit of shoddy journalism and make a list of the rest of the shoddy journalism that perpetuated the original garbage without checking their facts.

It's a good thing that people are doing their research by coming on the forum and asking the question.
Better still we are able to collectively put them straight on the matter right here and in a timely manner
Old 24 July 2017, 12:58 PM   #16
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Was that deliberate?
We will never know.

I suppose it's of little consequence in the grand scheme of things as long as nobody dies as a result