The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 6 November 2017, 04:29 AM   #1
APAP
"TRF" Member

Well, 44Ti just stopped winding

Not sure what's going on; but the 44ti now wouldn't wind. It's dead unless i rotate the rotor manually.

I noticed things went south when i kept the chronograph running for a few hours. It lost power immediately and then stopped.

44CE with stains, and now 44Ti that doesn't wind. Maybe the girl is right after all.
APAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 05:00 AM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Sorry to hear that buddy. I look forward to a new caliber for ROO chronos.
Old 6 November 2017, 03:36 PM   #3
Xerxes77
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Sorry to hear that buddy. I look forward to a new caliber for ROO chronos.
x2
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 03:55 PM   #4
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Not good. I’m sorry to hear that.

I hope you have an APSC nearby
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 04:03 PM   #5
peterpl
Banned

Not good at all. I'm waiting for a new calibre as well.

AP need to focus on reliability and accuracy ALOT more in my eyes.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 05:53 PM   #6
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Sorry to hear.

I have had some issues recently but the way AP has handled them all has been exemplary so I cut them some slack.
Old 6 November 2017, 09:51 PM   #7
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by APAP View Post

44CE with stains, and now 44Ti that doesn't wind. Maybe the girl is right after all.
This is unacceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
Sorry to hear.

I have had some issues recently but the way AP has handled them all has been exemplary so I cut them some slack.
You're a VIP customer. They might have given you priority. Not sure others have similar treatment.
Old 6 November 2017, 09:52 PM   #8
G'ed
"TRF" Member

Another day, another data not in favour of AP...

Hope everything sorted out nicely for you
G'ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 11:55 PM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Seems to be more AP issues coming up here, and just when they are tightening supply, not good timing.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 12:03 AM   #10
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Sorry to hear about your troubles ... just a thought , most
people rank AP quality and prestige above well you know ...
And how is AP more superior than Rolex ?
I know every manufacturer has its issues but this is
completely unacceptable coming from such an entity !!!
Way too much money spent to deal with this nonsense...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 01:14 AM   #11
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Well, 44Ti just stopped winding

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstarmar View Post

You buy an AP for the case finishing, brand history, movement finishing and general ability to execute high complications in a sports case.

Think of it as buying an Aston Martin for the sonorous v12.

Is it nice to have a Rolex as well? Of course they pair with AP like peanut butter and jelly. But don’t deny yourself the pleasure of owning an AP.

The only AP I really had issues with was the 44 with the DD chrono module. 1 out of 5 ain’t bad at all and they are painless to deal with.
Old 7 November 2017, 03:02 AM   #12
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
You buy an AP for the case finishing, brand history, movement finishing and general ability to execute high complications in a sports case.

Think of it as buying an Aston Martin for the sonorous v12.

Is it nice to have a Rolex as well? Of course they pair with AP like peanut butter and jelly. But don’t deny yourself the pleasure of owning an AP.

The only AP I really had issues with was the 44 with the DD chrono module. 1 out of 5 ain’t bad at all and they are painless to deal with.
Personally, I do not see why Audemars Piguet should not be targeting flawless reliability and operation and this recent spate of issues (whilst hard to judge as a real world incidence rate) does detract from my personal confidence in the manufacture. Ultimately, repeated issues will lead to higher maintenance costs over the lifetime of the piece when outside of warranty - something that will in the end sour owners' enjoyment and perception of the manufacture.

With that said, I think that such things need to be viewed in context; do we know whether Patek Philippe or Vacheron Constantin suffer the same level of issues?
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 03:29 AM   #13
Tay821
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthehill View Post
Personally, I do not see why Audemars Piguet should not be targeting flawless reliability and operation and this recent spate of issues (whilst hard to judge as a real world incidence rate) does detract from my personal confidence in the manufacture. Ultimately, repeated issues will lead to higher maintenance costs over the lifetime of the piece when outside of warranty - something that will in the end sour owners' enjoyment and perception of the manufacture.

With that said, I think that such things need to be viewed in context; do we know whether Patek Philippe or Vacheron Constantin suffer the same level of issues?
Haven’t had to deal with them yet, but heard PPis brutal
Tay821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 03:34 AM   #14
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Common sense would lend that they are targeting better reliability. You can do some research on PP and VC service and draw your own conclusions. In the US at least AP is superior in after sales care and superior warranty
Old 7 November 2017, 03:37 AM   #15
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

They are addressing it, albeit in a backwards manner. Extend the warranty and leave the underlying issues un fixed. Its a band-aid.

Objectively there are more issues on here with chronograph modules in particular in the last year or so than i have ever seen before. So its getting worse not better IMO. The vast majority of issues are brand new watches not older ones which points to a QC issue as its not a durability thing as they are broken pretty much right off the bat and probably left the factory with some sort of issue.

Patek service takes astronomically longer AFAIK, but i have not seen the same number of brand new watches being broken with them as i have with AP. They are different issues between the two brands, so i wouldn't directly compare in this way.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 06:20 AM   #16
peterpl
Banned

Honestly for the price bracket we are talking about the influx of issues I have seen say within the last 12-24 months it NOT acceptable.

Your paying premium for a quality product and everyone should expect it. Not something that the engine breaks down.
Old 7 November 2017, 08:01 AM   #17
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Then don't buy it. Your prerogative...
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 01:26 PM   #18
G'ed
"TRF" Member

Wish we could do an AMA with the CEO over here...
G'ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 06:23 PM   #19
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
Then don't buy it. Your prerogative...
Its funny whenever there is negative feedback on certain brands people get all cut up. Why?

There should be emphasis and encouragement for BOTH positive reviews and negative reviews of experiences no matter what brand. Only then does it give rise to consumers to review and make their own decisions on their expectations and what potentially can happen.

No point only having positive reviews of a brand be it Rolex, Patek or AP or whatever.
Old 7 November 2017, 07:10 PM   #20
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
I'm not cut up and do agree its not ideal. I just get fed up with people moaning about it, particularly when some aren't even AP clients.

I currently have three APs of which the first did have an issue. However AP London sorted it very efficiently and in good time and have looked after me well since, so as far as I'm concerned I have no complaints.

However I would add that if they hadn't sorted it efficiently and looked after me, I'd probably now be an ex AP-client.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 08:25 AM   #21
Chary
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15407ST
I've had over 20+ APs and have had 2-3 with problems, I've had over 40+ Rolexes and maybe 3-4 with problems and I've had maybe 20 casios... and never had a problem.. hmmm maybe I should stick to Casio's... lol....
Chary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 12:28 PM   #22
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstarmar View Post
In my experience the reliability of my APs has been "more superior than Rolex", as both my GMT and Polar Explorer broke and required servicing from Rolex, whereas I've never had a single issue with either of the APs I own.

How many APs have you owned again?
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 12:40 PM   #23
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
In my experience the reliability of my APs has been "more superior than Rolex", as both my GMT and Polar Explorer broke and required servicing from Rolex, whereas I've never had a single issue with either of the APs I own.

How many APs have you owned again?
I’ve owned five APs and three of them had to go back for service. I don’t know how many Rolexes I’ve had but I did have a submariner break once. AP makes a beautiful watch and I hope to always own them however they are remarkably delicate compared to tool watches like Rolex and incredibly overpriced for what you get. I don’t blame anyone who pays that much for a watch to be upset if the movement brakes. IMHO

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 12:51 PM   #24
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
in my experience the reliability of my aps has been "more superior than rolex", as both my gmt and polar explorer broke and required servicing from rolex, whereas i've never had a single issue with either of the aps i own.

How many aps have you owned again?
zero!!!

Joking aside haven’t got a flavor for their designs ...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 12:52 PM   #25
rolex75216
"TRF" Member

Bummer. :(
Old 14 November 2017, 03:27 PM   #26
Star Ferry
Banned

Sounds like cost cutting. It's cheaper to do warranty work on 5 or 10 percent (hypothetical figure) of stock than perform rigorous QC on 100 percent before shipping
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 04:17 PM   #27
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Sounds like cost cutting. It's cheaper to do warranty work on 5 or 10 percent (hypothetical figure) of stock than perform rigorous QC on 100 percent before shipping
clearly the latest batch of DD modules is bad. Surely it would be easier to service them prior to shipping than to wait for them to come back and do it again. I honestly think the new batch is failing at a much higher rate than 10%. There has been a huge spike on here in the past year. Maybe averaged out its 5-10% of all new and old models, but with just the new ones its higher. Has to be.

This is 100% the reason i want the in-house chrono to replace the ROO movements as opposed to the ROC movement as that one is very solid, they probably won't though as they already consider the ROO movement in house despite the module. They need to do something to replace the DD module.
Old 14 November 2017, 04:50 PM   #28
PJ S
Banned

^
Whoa there horsey... don't be so quick to blame Dubois Depraz for something they probably didn't do.
We hear all the time about these ROOCs being "dry" when APSC relays what the problem was, and given DD has been making complication modules for a very long time, I suspect it's AP who're not assembling the ebauches they receive, properly.
Dubois Depraz sell ETA 2892 movements (as just one example) with their (chronograph) modules fitted, and we don't see the same failure rate/issue – so by reasoned deduction, the root of the problem must lie outside DD's facility.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 04:53 PM   #29
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
^
Whoa there horsey... don't be so quick to blame Dubois Depraz for something they probably didn't do.
We hear all the time about these ROOCs being "dry" when APSC relays what the problem was, and given DD has been making complication modules for a very long time, I suspect it's AP who're not assembling the ebauches they receive, properly.
Dubois Depraz sell ETA 2892 movements (as just one example) with their (chronograph) modules fitted, and we don't see the same failure rate/issue – so by reasoned deduction, the root of the problem must lie outside DD's facility.
Fair enough but there is a problem with the module on someones end. It doesnt matter to me where the problem lies just that there is one. I've heard of the "dry" thing too and suspect they come in batches and sit for a long time prior to them getting put in a watch. If AP isnt handling/installing them properly then they shouldn't be using them so they still need an in-house in that case that they can maintain better.
Old 14 November 2017, 05:16 PM   #30
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
clearly the latest batch of DD modules is bad. Surely it would be easier to service them prior to shipping than to wait for them to come back and do it again. I honestly think the new batch is failing at a much higher rate than 10%. There has been a huge spike on here in the past year. Maybe averaged out its 5-10% of all new and old models, but with just the new ones its higher. Has to be.
My thinking was, let's say 92% of product never comes back for warranty work. If upping this to 99% would cost $500 per unit (for all units), then it's costing them $7000 per unit within that 7% "improved" group.

But as with a lot of the watch companies, we can only guess how things work. I am not afraid to buy another AP, as long as I'm buying new with warranty.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote