The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 March 2018, 08:22 AM   #1
ProfGlenn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
can a regulation drift?

Hi - I have had my three black bays between about 5 and 8 months. The black on bracelet has been consistent at about -1.5 from the beginning. The red on leather moves around a bit....was -1.5, now hovers around zero....some days plus a second or two and sometimes minus. Although when I take the red one off the winder, it seems to gain couple of seconds in a couple of hours...this has happened twice and I guess it is just an idiosyncrasy of the watch...it then stabilises very quickly and gains nothing pretty much for the next 24 hours.

The bronze which is the last one I bought was the best of the three and running at less than -1s/d for ages and recently has moved up to -2s/day and in the last 24 hours I would say has lost nearly three seconds. At what point should I send it in? I think they are meant to be COSC -4/+6 plus an extra 2s either side for Tudor - so -2/+4. I'd feel a bit stupid for sending back a watch that is running 3s slow per day! But at £3k, I would expect it to do what it is supposed to do....will it keep drifting? Anyone else had experience of the regulation drifting?

Thanks
Glenn
ProfGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 09:18 AM   #2
sevykor
"TRF" Member

Don’t let it drive you crazy. Instead, follow the instructions on the picture... .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sevykor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 09:27 AM   #3
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevykor View Post
Don’t let it drive you crazy. Instead, follow the instructions on the picture... .

As Sevykor said, give this ^ a shot.

Some forum members have said that this only works on older watches, others have said that this works for their 2017 Sub or whatever.

So, give it a shot and see if it works for you!
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 10:36 AM   #4
sevykor
"TRF" Member

can a regulation drift?

I mention it because it works on my DJ41 which consistently losses 2 seconds per day. Resting it crystal up at night makes it run quartz accurate since new.

sevykor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 11:00 AM   #5
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
There are a few moving parts inside a watch and the sum of their performance gives us the precision and accuracy.

As these parts wear at different rates the accuracy will change.

I find that my more modern Rolex watches don't respond to positional correction like my older models but sometimes just enough to give me the correction I need if they are close enough to zero (within +\-2).

The chart shown will not work for all and I use my Timegrapher to find the best correctional position for each watch.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2018, 12:56 AM   #6
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevykor View Post
I mention it because it works on my DJ41 which consistently losses 2 seconds per day. Resting it crystal up at night makes it run quartz accurate since new.

Exactly the same for my DJ41.
Old 31 March 2018, 03:57 AM   #7
ProfGlenn
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone. So, rather than send a watch to Rolex for a tiny amount of drift and possibly being outside spec, I took the watch to a jeweller who had a timegrapher. He fully manually wound the watch first (I told him it had been on a winder) and then overtightened my crown - which is infuriating....anyway he then put it on the timegrapher and clamped the bronze too tight, marking it.....also infuriating....anyway, given that it has been running at just over -2s/d on a winder for 5 days...all the readings in different positions were +1 or +2......bizarre. It has never ever gained time since I got it, wearing it or on the winder. I am therefore wondering if it is been kept fully powered on the winder. My other two black bays are on the same winder and are fine....so given that the winder is powering the watch it can't be a rotor problem....but maybe the watch is not being kept at full power and is drifting in accuracy as the power runs down on the winder.....whereas the other two black bays are just more accurate at lower power...

I didn't want to fuel my OCD by having a timegrapher, but am now thinking it may be the way forward to pinpoint where the issues are when watches seem to drift a little...

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Glenn
Old 31 March 2018, 04:35 AM   #8
ProfGlenn
"TRF" Member

Does anyone know the turns per day required on the Tudor in-house movement to keep full charge?
Old 31 March 2018, 06:24 AM   #9
TimeRookie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
I have a bit of a theory. I’m assuming you use an app like Watchtracker. My BLNR seemed to be all over the place for the first year. It always averaged somewhere around +1 sec/day but was up and down as much as +-3 sec/day. I always wondered why. I then changed my internet service to a fibre optic supplier and all of a sudden my watch was a consistent +1 sec/day. It was my internet supply that was inconsistent, not my watch. You might want to consider trying a good quartz watch to compare to before you jump to any conclusions or, make sure you check your watch on your app with a good internet supplier. Just a theory.....
Pelagos 42mm
Explorer II 226570
TimeRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2018, 08:34 AM   #10
ProfGlenn
"TRF" Member

Thanks. I always time my watches on the time.is website, which will also tell you how far out your iPhone clock is.

I have 6 other COSC certified watches all being consistent on the winder every day. The bronze just seems to be drifting. Maybe there is just a little bit of friction on the rotor, such that it would stay full charged if on a winder with a horizontal axis, but with an axis at 60 degrees to the horizontal, the rotor is maybe not turning as often as it should and the accuracy is dropping off. It was on the winder for about a month before I would say the accuracy started drifting....

It's just odd that it has lost time every day since purchase and then when manually wound and stuck on a timegrapher today, it was only gaining time in each position!!

I am going to leave it off the winder and dial down overnight and see what that gives.....
Old 31 March 2018, 08:53 AM   #11
TimeRookie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfGlenn View Post
Thanks. I always time my watches on the time.is website, which will also tell you how far out your iPhone clock is.

I have 6 other COSC certified watches all being consistent on the winder every day. The bronze just seems to be drifting. Maybe there is just a little bit of friction on the rotor, such that it would stay full charged if on a winder with a horizontal axis, but with an axis at 60 degrees to the horizontal, the rotor is maybe not turning as often as it should and the accuracy is dropping off. It was on the winder for about a month before I would say the accuracy started drifting....

It's just odd that it has lost time every day since purchase and then when manually wound and stuck on a timegrapher today, it was only gaining time in each position!!

I am going to leave it off the winder and dial down overnight and see what that gives.....
I think any watch will eventually run down on a winder. It just isn’t the same as being worn. Good luck and I’m sure you’ll get it figured out.
Pelagos 42mm
Explorer II 226570
TimeRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2018, 07:32 PM   #12
ProfGlenn
"TRF" Member

Thanks TimeRookie. Do you know I think you may be right. The winder is supposed to keep them fully wound, but the inclination to gravity MUST matter (even though the chief technician at Christopher Ward tells me this is not the case)....I have seen this effect in the past occasionally with other watches.....but my red black bay hovers around zero s/d for weeks and weeks on a winder, my black black bay is consistently about -1.5s/day, and the bronze has steadily dropped from about -0.5 to just over -2. I left the bronze dial down overnight last night for the first time and it did GAIN about half a second! But I do like my watches to be on the winder ready to grab and go and I want to minimse me having to unscrew he crown and do any manual winding - after all that is the whole point of an automatic....

Interestingly, when I rang Rolex, they old me over the phone that the Tudor black bays should behave the same on the winder as being worn. Well, I am sorry - they just don't. None of my three do....

Best
Glenn