The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX


Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 April 2018, 05:33 AM   #1
derklink
"TRF" Member
 
derklink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Midwest
Posts: 87
Does the SS Pepsi look cheap?

Hi ladies and gents, don't know if this was discussed before... (mod, if so, please close)

Last night me fiancée was freeing up storage space on my work phone (its an iPhone and I hate that thing - that's why I have no clue how it works ) and she saw I had some pics of the new SS Pepsi on it. She asked me if I liked it, to which I replied that I already signed up for it/put my name on 2 lists. Her comment: "Why? It looks absolutely cheap." I said: "It doesn't, wait till you see it in person." While I usually don't care too much what other people think, this made ME think. I have to say that I've never seen the WG version, which has the same bezel, in person.

So what do you think? Is my fiancée right?
derklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 05:39 AM   #2
drmizzou
2018 RED-SD43 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Real Name: Raf
Location: MidMO
Watch: BLNR
Posts: 1,011
nope!
__________________
DBlue
SubC
HULK
BLNR
Tudor BB Bronze
Monaco GULF Ed x 2
Omega Speedy Mitsukoshi Mod
drmizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 05:40 AM   #3
_speedmaster_
2018 Pledge Member
 
_speedmaster_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: CT
Posts: 422
I think it looks great, but what do I know. I've long given up trying to decipher what watches my wife thinks look good.

My wife also didn't like the Basel releases (Pepsi & CHNR). She doesn't like my BLNR or my JLC tribute to Deep Sea. Loves my 116610LV though. And has recently told me to go for the FPJ Chrono Bleu (though this may be a trap).
__________________
BLNR, 116610LV, JLC Tribute Deep Sea Alarm, JLC MC Chrono, FOIS, Nomos Weltzeit Nachtblau
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 05:42 AM   #4
Carry The Interest
2018 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: LA
Watch: RLX, ALS
Posts: 908
Curious - did she say what looks cheap about the watch, specifically? If it has to do with the bezel colors, I'd try to stop by some local ADs and see if they have any WG models in person. You are your own best judge on evaluating how much you like/dislike the bezel once you see one in the flesh? Was her comment directed perhaps to the jubilee bracelet? There is a love/hate relationship for the bracelet with a lot of people. I personally love it (have it on my DJ) and assure you there is nothing cheap about it.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 05:45 AM   #5
derklink
"TRF" Member
 
derklink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Midwest
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post
Curious - did she say what looks cheap about the watch, specifically? If it has to do with the bezel colors, I'd try to stop by some local ADs and see if they have any WG models in person. You are your own best judge on evaluating how much you like/dislike the bezel once you see one in the flesh? Was her comment directed perhaps to the jubilee bracelet? There is a love/hate relationship for the bracelet with a lot of people. I personally love it (have it on my DJ) and assure you there is nothing cheap about it.
Exactly, she meant the bezel colors. Just from the pictures. She did like the brown and black TT and YG models though.
derklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 05:46 AM   #6
derklink
"TRF" Member
 
derklink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Midwest
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
And has recently told me to go for the FPJ Chrono Bleu (though this may be a trap).
l
derklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 05:46 AM   #7
Stevec14
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Real Name: Steve
Location: U.K.
Watch: Daytona, Tudor gmt
Posts: 1,608
Nope. Don’t necessarily like the bracelet but for sure doesn’t look cheap to my eyes. Isn’t the point here that we all see what we see, and like what we like, so I’m not sure the real point of asking this.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 05:51 AM   #8
derklink
"TRF" Member
 
derklink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Midwest
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
Nope. Don’t necessarily like the bracelet but for sure doesn’t look cheap to my eyes. Isn’t the point here that we all see what we see, and like what we like, so I’m not sure the real point of asking this.
Understand your point. Looks are subjective. Just wondering if others thought the same or heard similar comments.
derklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 05:52 AM   #9
Chadridv
2018 BOND 007 Pledge Member
 
Chadridv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Real Name: Chadri
Location: LI, NY
Watch: 116610LV
Posts: 7,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by derklink View Post

So what do you think? Is my fiancée right?
Is she right? No, but she's not wrong either. It's her opinion, and while I don't agree with her I see why she might feel that way.

I think the common perception of how a luxury watch should look is that similar to a Daydate, Cellini, or Patek dress watch on strap. I can see why the colorful ceramic bezel could make the watch look "toy-ish".

This is just another example of non-WIS person's perspective. Again, while I don't agree with her, I like hearing these stories, cause it reminds me that most people don't scrutinize watches the way we do.

While we post polls, blue of a BLNR vs the blue of a BLRO, or Jubilee vs president bracelet, most people don't know the difference or care.

I put my speedy tuesday on a leather strap the other night and my wife thought it was the greatest thing she'd ever seen. She said it was my most sophisticated watch lol. Again, she's not wrong necessarily, but on a vintage rather distressed looking leather strap, it's the last watch in my collection i would have called sophisticated.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 05:53 AM   #10
VicLeChic
"TRF" Member
 
VicLeChic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Real Name: Victor
Location: Spain
Watch: YM plat. - SD43
Posts: 1,518
My wife said it looks horrendous. I smiled and said I'm on the list. I don't recall hearing her being so vehement about a watch. My YM and SD43 are "dull" and "nothing new, boring". But calling the new GMT horrendous, I didn't see that coming.

She prefers dressy and classic looking pieces like Longines Master Collection, JLC Master Date, MUT Moon, IWC Portofino, Calatrava (yeah, in your dreams). I like them too but I prefer sports watches.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 05:54 AM   #11
lucevan le stelle
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: garden state
Posts: 505
Everyone has differing tastes. If you need her to sign off on the purchase then don't buy it. But her comments might be used to suggest that you have the green light to buy one of the other models, so that could work really, really well.
lucevan le stelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:01 AM   #12
Bt122
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Bi coastal
Watch: Ok...Watching
Posts: 939
My wife saw the pepsi wt gold at the store and she wasnt a fan but she didnt call it cheeap. She liked the daytona more.


But more importantly. Why is your fiance freeinng up space on your work phone?
Bt122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:01 AM   #13
Kevan
"TRF" Member
 
Kevan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: England/Dubai
Watch: the one on my arm.
Posts: 831
Having just returned from the Middle East I visited my AD on Saturday to "register" my interest. As we left my wife complained that I spoil everything...... she has asked them to source one for my birthday later this year. I took that as a green light.
Kevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:03 AM   #14
lee fowler
2018 RED-SD43 Pledge Member
 
lee fowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: UK
Watch: Rolex GMT
Posts: 1,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by derklink View Post
Hi ladies and gents, don't know if this was discussed before... (mod, if so, please close)

Last night me fiancée was freeing up storage space on my work phone (its an iPhone and I hate that thing - that's why I have no clue how it works ) and she saw I had some pics of the new SS Pepsi on it. She asked me if I liked it, to which I replied that I already signed up for it/put my name on 2 lists. Her comment: "Why? It looks absolutely cheap." I said: "It doesn't, wait till you see it in person." While I usually don't care too much what other people think, this made ME think. I have to say that I've never seen the WG version, which has the same bezel, in person.

So what do you think? Is my fiancée right?
Nope!
__________________


Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:05 AM   #15
Paul_I
2018 Pledge Member
 
Paul_I's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 935
She absolutely nailed it. Please don't buy this watch. Tell you what, I'll take your spot on the lists, as a favor. PM me.
__________________
* Patek Philippe Calatrava 5153G-010 * ♛ Rolex Day-Date 40 228238 * ♛ Rolex Yacht-Master 40 116622 * ♛ Rolex DateJust II 116334 * ♛ Rolex Cellini 5116 * Breitling Avenger Blackbird 48 * Ω Omega Seamaster Diver 300M Co-Axial * Ω Vintage Omega Seamaster 30 *

No, Rolex isn't 'hurting' you.
Paul_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:08 AM   #16
Terrakot
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Italy
Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Posts: 244
She is right. Move on!
__________________
written in Ruslish
Terrakot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:09 AM   #17
Cabinetman
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Real Name: Kevin Deaton
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 49
My wife had the opposite reaction. She loves the new Pepsi. She really likes the Jubilee bracelet. I don't know that her positive reaction means I have the green light to pursue one, but it is better to ask forgiveness than permission.
Cabinetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:10 AM   #18
zjd168
"TRF" Member
 
zjd168's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: US
Posts: 1,053
there's no right or wrong answer just an opinion from a woman whose taste is shared by some. When was the last time any consumer product getting 100% unanimous approval?
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:11 AM   #19
yxc145
2018 Pledge Member
 
yxc145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Real Name: David
Location: Chicago
Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
Posts: 1,389
I think it is the red/blue bezel. To be honest, before I actually knew about the "Pepsi" Rolex, I thought the same thing. Why would anyone spent this much money buying a Rolex with toy looking bezel. I thought a nice Rolex would be Datejust with everything metal, silver or gold color.
But after I learnt about the watch, I learn to appreciate it and now I want one.
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:12 AM   #20
SLS
2018 RED-SD43 Pledge Member
 
SLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Real Name: Scott
Location: GMT -7
Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Posts: 9,303
lol, my wife thinks all my watches look the same, I have mainly GMT's and Subs, so in a way she is right. She loves my Daytona (PreC) and when I showed her the Platinum Daytona she really liked that as well...until I told her the price!
__________________
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of lower price is forgotten." -Benjamin Franklin

Member No. 922
SLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:15 AM   #21
derklink
"TRF" Member
 
derklink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Midwest
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bt122 View Post
My wife saw the pepsi wt gold at the store and she wasnt a fan but she didnt call it cheeap. She liked the daytona more.


But more importantly. Why is your fiance freeinng up space on your work phone?
She thinks that out of our phones, it has the best camera and she likes to take pics with it
derklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:17 AM   #22
derklink
"TRF" Member
 
derklink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Midwest
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
lol, my wife thinks all my watches look the same, I have mainly GMT's and Subs, so in a way she is right. She loves my Daytona (PreC) and when I showed her the Platinum Daytona she really liked that as well...until I told her the price!
Hah! Same here...when we picked up my BLNR at the AD in 2014, she wanted to try on the Platona. She loved it. Once she saw the price tag, she was cured
derklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:19 AM   #23
kwingy
"TRF" Member
 
kwingy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 369
I agree - for a watch with bright-ish colours, the bezel is just dull looking. I think the Rootbeer GMT bezel, if that came on normal SS, that would be the one to get.
kwingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:22 AM   #24
derklink
"TRF" Member
 
derklink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Midwest
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucevan le stelle View Post
Everyone has differing tastes. If you need her to sign off on the purchase then don't buy it. But her comments might be used to suggest that you have the green light to buy one of the other models, so that could work really, really well.
She is cool, don't need her to sign off (unless it is an important financial decision, like Rolex vs new AC/HVAC for the house). I do have to admit that I like the DJ 41, blue dial, fluted bezel...
derklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:35 AM   #25
dnpina
"TRF" Member
 
dnpina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: texas
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
I think it looks great, but what do I know. I've long given up trying to decipher what watches my wife thinks look good.

My wife also didn't like the Basel releases (Pepsi & CHNR). She doesn't like my BLNR or my JLC tribute to Deep Sea. Loves my 116610LV though. And has recently told me to go for the FPJ Chrono Bleu (though this may be a trap).
How does JLC tribute deep sea wear. That's a superb watch

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:35 AM   #26
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NYC
Watch: 116710BLNR
Posts: 1,122
Your fiancée is totally right. It’s the cheapest looking Rolex ever made. It looks so cheap that it makes an Aquaracer look like a Patek compared to it. Just awful. Might as well have Folex on the dial. When the AD calls you, I’ll buy that atrocious watch from them. You almost made a terrible mistake. Thank God you told TRF!
__________________
Rolex 116710 BLNR
Rolex Day Date 118238 Champagne/Batons
lecorsaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:38 AM   #27
dnpina
"TRF" Member
 
dnpina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: texas
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnpina View Post
How does JLC tribute deep sea wear. That's a superb watch

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I of course forgot the "?"

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:42 AM   #28
watchwatcher
2018 Pledge Member
 
watchwatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Real Name: Larry
Location: Kentucky
Watch: Yes
Posts: 26,260
I guess everybody's entitled to their opinion...however wrong that may be.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:44 AM   #29
Masteryacht
"TRF" Member
 
Masteryacht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: USA
Watch: 16622,BLNR,116500
Posts: 443
While not a fan of the newest GMT, nothing made to the quality of Rolex should ever look or feel cheap in the metal. Sometimes a photo can be deceiving though.
Masteryacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 06:50 AM   #30
Lt Virgil Hilts
"TRF" Member
 
Lt Virgil Hilts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 1,454
Chill!

Your fiancé is putting you off buying it,
because she secretly has one on order for you.
She loves it as much as you.
Trust me.



Ps. If you DO end up with two, send me yours and I will marry you too!
Lt Virgil Hilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banner Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2018, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.