The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 April 2018, 09:26 AM   #1
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
GMT Master II 3186 "stick" VS "Rectangle" dials

So anyone who loves or collect GMT's knows about the "error" dial known as stick dial found on both Z and M serial 16710's some with the 3185 but most with the 3186 movement Z6 to M3. I read a few articles about them, some stating that Rolex had said the stick wasn't an error but a way to differentiate 16710 with the 3186 from the 3185, which would make sense except for two facts. Some stick dials are 3185's and very some 3186's have the rectangle, not the stick. Which bring me to another question which is: why do collectors consider the "stick" dial more valuable than the "rectangle" dial considering that it seems to me, and from my research that the rectangle one is the least common of the two.

here is a timeline I have found here and there, I know it isn't completely accurate as I have seen M36xxxx with rectangle dials, but it does make the point that the rectangle one seem to be less common:

Z77XXXX - 3185 Rectangular II
Z96XXXX - 3186 Stick II
Z6XXXXX - 3185 Stick II
M23XXXX - 3186 Stick II
M23XXXX - 3186 Rectangular II
M30XXXX - 3186 Stick II
M30XXXX - 3186 Stick II
M36XXXX - 3186 Stick II
MXXXXXX - 3186 Stick II

I would love to know if anyone has any new knowledge or new insights on those mystery dials.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 10:36 AM   #2
sond86
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Outstanding!

I never really paid much attention and hope to learn more!
Mine is an M3xx with sticks
sond86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2018, 10:41 AM   #3
2024 Pledge Member

Outstanding, indeed!

It's definitely an error calling sticks an "error" dial since clearly it was intentional. Rectangles are pretty darn rare. If anything they were the true error.*

*But done on purpose.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2018, 11:39 AM   #4
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Outstanding, indeed!

It's definitely an error calling sticks an "error" dial since clearly it was intentional. Rectangles are pretty darn rare. If anything they were the true error.*

*But done on purpose.
It would seem that way...
Old 30 April 2018, 11:59 AM   #5
karmatp
"TRF" Member

I had a D serial with sticks. It makes no difference, it is just a dial variance period. There are many older models going back to at least 2005 with sticks.

The only thing I can think of is that Rolex was using the last of their stick dials towards the end of the 5 digit GMT's production. They were probably just out of the rectangular dials.
Old 30 April 2018, 02:58 PM   #6
mineral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrice M View Post
So anyone who loves or collect GMT's knows about the "error" dial known as stick dial found on both Z and M serial 16710's some with the 3185 but most with the 3186 movement Z6 to M3. I read a few articles about them, some stating that Rolex had said the stick wasn't an error but a way to differentiate 16710 with the 3186 from the 3185, which would make sense except for two facts. Some stick dials are 3185's and very some 3186's have the rectangle, not the stick. Which bring me to another question which is: why do collectors consider the "stick" dial more valuable than the "rectangle" dial considering that it seems to me, and from my research that the rectangle one is the least common of the two.

here is a timeline I have found here and there, I know it isn't completely accurate as I have seen M36xxxx with rectangle dials, but it does make the point that the rectangle one seem to be less common:

Z96XXXX - 3186 Stick II

Z6XXXXX - 3185 Stick II

M23XXXX - 3186 Stick II

M30XXXX - 3186 Stick II

M30XXXX - 3186 Stick II

M36XXXX - 3186 Stick II

MXXXXXX - 3186 Stick II

I would love to know if anyone has any new knowledge or new insights on those mystery dials.

I have D serial NOS gmt coke with stick II dial too. Stick dial not only appears on Z or M serial.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 30 April 2018, 11:17 PM   #7
mistral
"TRF" Member

I also have D serial GMT Pepsi with stick dial I bought from DavidSW few years ago.
mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2018, 11:47 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Only in the internet fantasy island does the so called error or stick dial exist. In the real world all it is a simple font change much like the hundreds of others over the past 50 years.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2018, 01:31 AM   #9
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
I would love to know if anyone has any new knowledge or new insights on those mystery dials
" Shall I answer Chronologically? Or Alphabetically Mr Fabrice? I have neither new insights nor I love to theorize before collecting data but then again I may end up twisting the facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts "I believe that the total production run of Ref 16710-3186 worldwide is between 30000-35000
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2018, 01:52 AM   #10
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Only in the internet fantasy island does the so called error or stick dial exist. In the real world all it is a simple font change much like the hundreds of others over the past 50 years.
Yes, in principle I totally agree with you. Rolex is know to change typeface elements , kerning and leading on their dial over the years: Mk1, mk2, mk3...etc But once they make a change they stick ( no pun intended) with it, they don't interweave two different dial design over years... I don't believe the "Stick" dials are an error either, but I don't understand the rectangle one. I have a background in graphic design and I don't know any typefaces where an uppercase 2 is a rectangle. and in the case of the Z and M series, most are stick only, where does those "rectangle" come from?
Old 1 May 2018, 02:02 AM   #11
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineral View Post
I have D serial NOS gmt coke with stick II dial too. Stick dial not only appears on Z or M serial.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for sharing. I never knew the D serial was included.
Cheers.
Old 1 May 2018, 02:41 AM   #12
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
But once they make a change they stick ( no pun intended) with it, they don't interweave two different dial design over years...
Plenty of dials have interwoven typographic elements over the years. The 16600 Sea-Dweller Luminova dials are a random mix of flat and pointed 4s and tall/short Fs in the "4000 ft / 1200 m" line. The 16610LV saw five or six different dials that weren't introduced contiguously across serials. And, even the latest 6-digit Subs have at least two dials each, and I believe the bold Submariner line and tall Fs are likely limited to 2017+ models although some here have said otherwise.

I suspect they make dials in batches, toss them in storage and use them as needed without any desire or need to sort variations when they're initially put into storage.

The bigger question is why they have so many different typographic elements on dials that span such short periods. The 16610LV comes to mind here.
Old 1 May 2018, 09:00 AM   #13
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Plenty of dials have interwoven typographic elements over the years. The 16600 Sea-Dweller Luminova dials are a random mix of flat and pointed 4s and tall/short Fs in the "4000 ft / 1200 m" line. The 16610LV saw five or six different dials that weren't introduced contiguously across serials. And, even the latest 6-digit Subs have at least two dials each, and I believe the bold Submariner line and tall Fs are likely limited to 2017+ models although some here have said otherwise.

I suspect they make dials in batches, toss them in storage and use them as needed without any desire or need to sort variations when they're initially put into storage.

The bigger question is why they have so many different typographic elements on dials that span such short periods. The 16610LV comes to mind here.
That’s new and news to me. I have collected watches for a few years now, read a few books on Rolex and usually you will have variation over the years, such as a mk1 dial, then an mk2, mk3 etc...etc... but not at the same time. But I may be wrong, always willing to learn new things thus the question. Also it makes no sense to me to have Batches made of different design and typeface, it goes against any branding rules I have ever been taught . Like in all companies of that caliber, there is a very strict “style Guide” that must be respected and that all employees and suppliers must strictly adher to , a golden rule in branding, and a necessity in making counterfeit more difficult.
Old 1 May 2018, 09:13 AM   #14
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That’s new and news to me. I have collected watches for a few years now, read a few books on Rolex and usually you will have variation over the years, such as a mk1 dial, then an mk2, mk3 etc...etc... but not at the same time. But I may be wrong, always willing to learn new things thus the question. Also it makes no sense to me to have Batches made of different design and typeface, it goes against any branding rules I have ever been taught . Like in all companies of that caliber, there is a very strict “style Guide” that must be respected and that all employees and suppliers must strictly adher to , a golden rule in branding, and a necessity in making counterfeit more difficult.
No arguments there. Dials are all over the map on typography. Even the Rolex logotype has varied on dials in recent years. The mk1/mk2/etc thing came from Mondani books to denote different variations as they were discovered but even they found orders changing as you've noted with stick/rectangle dials on GMTs and the myriad of dials and inserts on the 16610LV. You could find mk1+mk1, mk1+mk2, mk3+mk2, and so on with LV dials+bezels. That's why I'm lead to believe it was whatever was pulled from stock at that moment.

Why the typefaces were so varied, again, is the big question here. You'd think they'd make one dial/bezel for a watch and stick with it, especially if everything is made in-house as they claim. Maybe the variations actually were to counteract counterfeiting?
Old 1 May 2018, 09:48 AM   #15
gmtobsessed
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Z96XXXX - 3186 Stick II
Z6XXXXX - 3185 Stick II
M23XXXX - 3186 Stick II
M30XXXX - 3186 Stick II
M30XXXX - 3186 Stick II
M36XXXX - 3186 Stick II
MXXXXXX - 3186 Stick II

Mine is M3XXX with rectangular
gmtobsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2018, 11:03 AM   #16
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
‘Stick’ dials have also been used as service dials. Not rare and not an ‘error’. It is internet myth (more like fantasy)
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2018, 11:19 AM   #17
2024 Pledge Member

Agreed. "GMT-MASTER III" would be an error. Articles claiming sticks or rectangles as errors just want to make more money.
Old 7 May 2018, 02:37 PM   #18
Frakis
2024 Pledge Member

My personal opinion is the rectangle II is more rare than the stick dial II. There have been stick dials reported as early as D-serials and service dials. When comparing the "Rectangle" vs. "stick":

1. All other fonts are slightly different.

2. "-" is shifted to one side on Rectangular II.

3. "Oyster Perpetual Date" has larger spacing in between on Rectangular II.

4. "Swiss Made" is smaller on Rectangular II.

5. The rim on hour markers are thicker on Stick II.

https://www.minus4plus6.com/paracromblu16710.php
Old 7 May 2018, 02:56 PM   #19
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

My opinion as well.
Old 7 May 2018, 03:01 PM   #20
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
D serial with sticks here too. They're still cool. People call them Error Sticks.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 09:43 AM   #21
Frakis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
My opinion as well.

Let’s see that Pepsi beauty! Is it a “rectangle”? Cheers!
Old 8 May 2018, 11:18 AM   #22
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frakis View Post
Let’s see that Pepsi beauty! Is it a “rectangle”? Cheers!
As you wish my friend. Pepsi with rectangle next to her sister Coke...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gmt2.jpg (68.4 KB, 1646 views)
File Type: jpg gmt.jpg (75.2 KB, 1763 views)
File Type: jpg gmt3.jpg (68.6 KB, 2834 views)
Old 8 May 2018, 11:22 AM   #23
Frakis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
As you wish my friend Pepsi with rectangle next to her sister Coke...
My 3186 "Rectangle" says hi!
Old 8 May 2018, 11:31 AM   #24
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

With a jubilee... Impressive.
The jubilee was never in my radar until I tried one recently at an AD, it really has that classic sort of vintage kind of old school feel to it that I am really starting to appreciate and I am really thrill Rolex is bringing it back. Can't wait to get my hands on a 126710BLRO. Cheers.
Old 8 May 2018, 11:38 AM   #25
WJGESQ
Banned

Are "stick dials" more valuable?
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 12:02 PM   #26
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

If by “valuable” you mean more expensive, the answer is right now yes. And that’s one of my question. Since the rectangle dial is more rare, it seems, why is the stick dial more expensive right now? My feeling is that the rectangle dial isn’t as known as the stick. Seems that many people have heard about the stick, but not so much the rectangle... I actually don’t really care much for what has the most monetary value, but much more the enigma surrounding the rectangle one. Where does this come from and what is it... I don’t believe in error dials.
Old 8 May 2018, 01:13 PM   #27
Frakis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
If by “valuable” you mean more expensive, the answer is right now yes. And that’s one of my question. Since the rectangle dial is more rare, it seems, why is the stick dial more expensive right now? My feeling is that the rectangle dial isn’t as known as the stick. Seems that many people have heard about the stick, but not so much the rectangle... I actually don’t really care much for what has the most monetary value, but much more the enigma surrounding the rectangle one. Where does this come from and what is it... I don’t believe in error dials.

I had a conversation last week with a very well known trusted seller here on TRF, and he admitted to not even knowing that a “rectangle” dial even existed. He was thankful I brought it to his attention, and sent him some information. I too am very curious about the enigma surrounding the “rectangle” dial. If anybody has more information on this please share.
Old 8 May 2018, 01:15 PM   #28
Frakis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
With a jubilee... Impressive.
The jubilee was never in my radar until I tried one recently at an AD, it really has that classic sort of vintage kind of old school feel to it that I am really starting to appreciate and I am really thrill Rolex is bringing it back. Can't wait to get my hands on a 126710BLRO. Cheers.

I have the original Oyster bracelet as well. It’s nice to change up the look. 6 in 1 club! In my opinion, this is why the 16710 will always be a classic. So much versatility!
Old 4 January 2019, 09:29 AM   #29
subluvr
"TRF" Member

Mm. I got a Z38xxxxx with stick dial ?
subluvr is offline   Reply With Quote