The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 October 2018, 01:17 AM   #1
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Icon14 Power Reserve test results of the 3235 in the SD50th (WIS content)

Here are my results of the Power Reserve test or mainspring test of my SD50th with the new 3235 movement. The specs of the 3235 is to have “approximately” 70 hours of power. I do this test with every new watch to document its performance and mainspring health. Before running the test my accuracy has been stellar with + or - 0.0 seconds in one weeks time. I set my watch from new at +1.50 seconds. Unfortunately to do the test you must let the movement stop.

Power Reserve Test
Rolex SeaDweller
Full wind
10/19/18 +1.50 @ 11am. +1.50@ 9pm
10.20/18 +1.50@ 8am +1.50@ 8pm
10/21/18 +1.50@8am -1.0 @7:30pm -1.50 @ 11pm
10/22/18 -6.0@7am -9.0 @ 8:30am -10.0 @ 9am -15@10am -20@10:25am. Stop 10:40am. Total 71:40

This means my watch exceeded its power reserve spec of 70 hours by 1 hour and 40 minutes. Outstanding.

This is a easy test to do. Just wind your watch all the way up and sit it down and don’t touch it. Monitor its accuracy as the movement winds down. You will find out where in the power cycle does accuracy start to deviate. For my watch with the new 3235, the accuracy is rock solid well past the 48hour mark of power reserve with 0 seconds of deviation. Remarkable. Even after, I stay within the Rolex +2 to -2 past the 50 hour power reserve mark. Notice late in the test when the power reserve starts to gradually slow the movement down. It’s still a nice consistent slowing down process and timing is not erratic.
Rolex crushed it with the new 3235 movement in accuracy and usable power reserve. Other watches can have a high power reserve but how accurate does their movement perform during the duration of the power cycle??? A long power reserve is nice but meaningless if accuracy falls away 30% into the power reserve.
Rolex advancements have yielded real tangible performance gains With the 3235.

Old 23 October 2018, 01:19 AM   #2
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Yeah, I've been impressed with the new movement as well.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 02:01 AM   #3
leong
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing, very informative and I'm glad to know the performance of the 3235 movement delivers more than what Rolex is stating

Last edited by leong; 23 October 2018 at 02:03 AM.. Reason: Typo error
leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 02:27 AM   #4
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
sd43 is the king!

rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 02:40 AM   #5
Bakko
"TRF" Member

Great post, as usual!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 02:52 AM   #6
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Power Reserve test results of the 3235 in the SD50th (WIS content)

I haven’t tested power reserve, but after an initial period with gaining 6-10 secs per day, mine has settled into being spot on for weeks (talking 0.0 seconds from atomic clock app on my iPhone).

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 02:54 AM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
IMHO power-reserve is the least importance with today's wrist watches would not be surprised even movements like the 32 series will end up on machine winders.Longer power reserve in watches is not something new back in the 1970 Longines had twin barrel movements with average 65 hours.Rolex uses a single spring barrel but the spring barrel wall is a lot thinner to accommodate a longer mainspring.So even after a full wind there could be differences in overall power-reserve one movement could be a hour plus over another movement on the 70 hour or a little over.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 03:14 AM   #8
Brew
"TRF" Member

Very interesting, and a real statement piece. I have a new movement in a new DJ, but I haven't been able to keep it off of my wrist long enough to tax the reserve.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 07:40 AM   #9
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Thanks for sharing your research. Most interesting.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 07:53 AM   #10
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Great post as always .. I guess I will find out first hand in the next day or two thanks to DavidSW.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 08:10 AM   #11
1st amg
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Thoroughly enjoying your reviews and follow up!!
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 08:19 AM   #12
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
What good is power reserve if you have a collection of numerous watches. All my watches sit idle until I get around to wearing them again months later. Actually it might be said that the watches are hurt by the greater reserve as they run longer each time they're take off the wrist.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 11:35 AM   #13
Kingfish01
"TRF" Member

You either wear the watch enough to wind it, or you don’t. That’s an awesome power reserve, but the added hours are useless
Kingfish01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 12:14 PM   #14
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
What good is power reserve if you have a collection of numerous watches. All my watches sit idle until I get around to wearing them again months later. Actually it might be said that the watches are hurt by the greater reserve as they run longer each time they're take off the wrist.

This is like saying what good is a extra 200hp when you only drive 60mph.
A lot of people rotate a few watches a week. The extra power reserve is for these people and those with sedimentary jobs where their daily activities might not be enough to fully wind the watch on certain days. It has been reported here by those with desk jobs that their daily activity isn’t enough to fully wind their watch. Saturation diving is one activity where a extra power reserve could be very useful. Having extra power reserve in a automatic movement is like having extra money. Most find these a more desirable option as it’s better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Old 23 October 2018, 12:36 PM   #15
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
All these recent posts about the SD43 really makes me miss mine. I traded it for a Smurf back in February. It was a wonderful watch, it just never got much wrist time. I’m waiting on my JC deep blue to come in. At least I’ll add a Sea Dweller to my collection
jps3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 12:43 PM   #16
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps3b View Post
All these recent posts about the SD43 really makes me miss mine. I traded it for a Smurf back in February. It was a wonderful watch, it just never got much wrist time. I’m waiting on my JC deep blue to come in. At least I’ll add a Sea Dweller to my collection
Going PM is a huge move so it’s understanable something had to get traded. The DSSD JC is a awesome watch and since you had a SD43, you know what size your wrist can wear. I wonder what the weight difference is between your Smurf and JC?
Old 23 October 2018, 01:11 PM   #17
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Going PM is a huge move so it’s understanable something had to get traded. The DSSD JC is a awesome watch and since you had a SD43, you know what size your wrist can wear. I wonder what the weight difference is between your Smurf and JC?

I absolutely love my 619. I don’t regret the trade one bit. Doesn’t mean I don’t miss my SD43 though. I saw a thread where it compared the weight of the Smurf and the JC. The Smurf was a little heavier if my memory serves me. It actually took a bit of getting used to. I wasn’t prepared for the weight of the 619 and to be honest, I didn’t really like it at first, but I’m used to it now. I’m really looking forward to the call that my JC is in. Believe it or not, since I have such a good relationship with my AD, I bought the 116660 JC for a friend. I wore the watch for 24 hours before I had to give it up. I liked it so much, I wanted to keep it.
jps3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 01:56 PM   #18
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
thanks for sharing~
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 01:58 PM   #19
Tzachi
2024 Pledge Member

thanks for sharing, I own one with the new mvmnt and can confirm accuracy
Tzachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 11:42 PM   #20
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps3b View Post
I absolutely love my 619. I don’t regret the trade one bit. Doesn’t mean I don’t miss my SD43 though. I saw a thread where it compared the weight of the Smurf and the JC. The Smurf was a little heavier if my memory serves me. It actually took a bit of getting used to. I wasn’t prepared for the weight of the 619 and to be honest, I didn’t really like it at first, but I’m used to it now. I’m really looking forward to the call that my JC is in. Believe it or not, since I have such a good relationship with my AD, I bought the 116660 JC for a friend. I wore the watch for 24 hours before I had to give it up. I liked it so much, I wanted to keep it.
Was the JC a 126660? I am curious what you thought of the new design/bracelet.
Old 24 October 2018, 12:09 AM   #21
zjd168
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
IMHO power-reserve is the least importance with today's wrist watches would not be surprised even movements like the 32 series will end up on machine winders.Longer power reserve in watches is not something new back in the 1970 Longines had twin barrel movements with average 65 hours.Rolex uses a single spring barrel but the spring barrel wall is a lot thinner to accommodate a longer mainspring.So even after a full wind there could be differences in overall power-reserve one movement could be a hour plus over another movement on the 70 hour or a little over.
70 hour power reserve is a critical feature for me. I need a watch that still runs Monday morning after I take it off Friday evening. 48 hour power reserve is not long enough and it is the biggest shortcoming of my daily DJ and BLNR.
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 12:49 AM   #22
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjd168 View Post
70 hour power reserve is a critical feature for me. I need a watch that still runs Monday morning after I take it off Friday evening. 48 hour power reserve is not long enough and it is the biggest shortcoming of my daily DJ and BLNR.
Agree, I think a long PR is a great feature.

Thanks for the post OP! I would never have the patience to test it
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 01:07 AM   #23
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I have a new DJ41, I've yet to test the exact accuracy but it did take 71:35 to run down after 40 winds.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 01:41 AM   #24
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
This is like saying what good is a extra 200hp when you only drive 60mph.
Nothing like it at all. I've owned a Cobra Mustang and there is power there that is demonstrated all the time even in situations with lower speed limits. This is a very lame analogy, fwiw. Unless a watch needs to sit idle for 70 hours and will be used at that point there is no way to see the added reserve., ever.

Quote:
A lot of people rotate a few watches a week. The extra power reserve is for these people and those with sedimentary jobs where their daily activities might not be enough to fully wind the watch on certain days. It has been reported here by those with desk jobs that their daily activity isn’t enough to fully wind their watch. Saturation diving is one activity where a extra power reserve could be very useful. Having extra power reserve in a automatic movement is like having extra money. Most find these a more desirable option as it’s better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Right so basically it's not for me nor will it ever be used by me. And I'm an engineer with a lot of time spent driving a desk. I'm also 66 years old and likely have a more sedentary life than many of the younger guys here on the forum. I've never had an automatic watch stop on my wrist from being run down.

As far as saturation divers are concerned, I'm certain that the large fraction of those divers on the forum will get great use of the added power reserve.

IMHO the big use for the new movement is bragging rights and for those who wear one or two watches alternating between weekend and weekday.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 02:18 AM   #25
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjd168 View Post
All watches have a winding crown and guess what its there to wind the watch and this miniscule task must take all of 29 seconds to do.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 02:25 AM   #26
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

The watch world has been after Rolex for years constantly mentioning their power reserve being behind the industry.
I am all for being conservative but I cant believe there would be any push back on the idea or any negative view point for Rolex building and advancing their movements. That doesnt mean their older movement are inferior but the industry is advancing and Rolex cant be content with the status quo. Rolex has to march on with improvements and there is only so many areas I think they can do. Its a luxury overbuilt watch to begin with so giving you more of what you probably dont need is part of the game.
Old 24 October 2018, 02:45 AM   #27
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Nothing like it at all. I've owned a Cobra Mustang and there is power there that is demonstrated all the time even in situations with lower speed limits. This is a very lame analogy, fwiw. Unless a watch needs to sit idle for 70 hours and will be used at that point there is no way to see the added reserve., ever.

Right so basically it's not for me nor will it ever be used by me. And I'm an engineer with a lot of time spent driving a desk. I'm also 66 years old and likely have a more sedentary life than many of the younger guys here on the forum. I've never had an automatic watch stop on my wrist from being run down.

As far as saturation divers are concerned, I'm certain that the large fraction of those divers on the forum will get great use of the added power reserve.

IMHO the big use for the new movement is bragging rights and for those who wear one or two watches alternating between weekend and weekday.
I echo your sentiment. In over 25+ years, I have never had a Rolex stop running on my wrist from lack of movement. This whole power reserve is just about bragging rights, IMO. One can at any time unwind the crown and give it a few turns, or place the watch on a winder when not worn. Love my YG Sub with 3135 *obsolete*(LOL) movement, and not flipping it for a watch just because of a longer power reserve. Bah humbug.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 02:48 AM   #28
withthesword
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Man, your posts are always awesome. I remember reading your detailed analyses of Suunto watches back in the day on WUS

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My Flickr Photostream

Wishlist: 1984 gmt
withthesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 03:41 AM   #29
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Mine still exactly on time with atomic clock .... 2 weeks now with 0.0 sec variation!

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 05:34 AM   #30
zjd168
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
All watches have a winding crown and guess what its there to wind the watch and this miniscule task must take all of 29 seconds to do.
True, I just didn't agree the power-reserve is least important today. It is all about convenience and technology advance. Otherwise such reasoning can go on and on, say, what is the big deal of accuracy, it takes seconds to adjust even if it is off 10s of seconds a day; 200 extra meters water resistance? come on; day function? you have a problem to remember the day of the week? Hey, few of us even need the watch to tell time :-)

BTW, I am not sure if frequent manual winding would wear down some mechanical/parts faster. Never got a clear answer.
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote