The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 November 2018, 05:17 AM   #1
rdizzle92
"TRF" Member

SS Shortage Waning ?

New to this forum, long time lurker! In the market for either a ND Sub or a LN Sub, had an interesting experience at an AD in Vancouver,CA yesterday. Went in and spoke with a sales rep and inquired about the ND Sub, she said they have 0 people on the waitlist and wait times shouldn't be that long .. she then mentioned we just got a shipment in today and we prob have a unit in the back. but she said she wouldn't check the shipment because I was not prepared to purchase it that day. Interesting experience.. I have contacted a few other AD's in the past and they always quoted long wait times and some were not even taking waitlists .. perhaps the SS shortage is waning? or is the ND Sub just not that desirable of a piece? I guess it doesn't command the same premiums above MSRP as the LN Sub and GMT's on Greys.
rdizzle92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 05:26 AM   #2
BT1985
"TRF" Member

With the new policies of having to buy in person it makes supply/demand dynamics vary widely in each market. Perhaps most people in your market prefer GMTs or already have a sub?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 05:33 AM   #3
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT1985 View Post
With the new policies of having to buy in person it makes supply/demand dynamics vary widely in each market. Perhaps most people in your market prefer GMTs or already have a sub?

Is that actually a new policy, you have to buy in person now?
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 05:40 AM   #4
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David5807 View Post
Is that actually a new policy, you have to buy in person now?

It is the the states for sure. Can’t speak for Canada.

Old 18 November 2018, 05:45 AM   #5
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Interesting and could have fooled me.

Source?
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 05:58 AM   #6
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyz1245 View Post
Interesting and could have fooled me.

Source?

A handful of ADs. Came about same time as the new sticker policy. I bought a Sea Dweller out of state on business and he said he couldn’t ship to me for future purchases without face to face transaction even as a repeat customer. This guy is salt of the earth too and wouldn’t BS. I am sure there are some that don’t always adhere to this but it’s why you are seeing smaller markets have fewer people on wait lists and sometimes hot references in the case. My local AD said they went through their list and purged it of out of state buyers that they didn’t know. That may have been AD specific though.

Old 18 November 2018, 06:00 AM   #7
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
A handful of ADs. Came about same time as the new sticker policy. I bought a Sea Dweller out of state on business and he said he couldn’t ship to me for future purchases without face to face transaction even as a repeat customer. This guy is salt of the earth too and wouldn’t BS. I am sure there are some that don’t always adhere to this but it’s why you are seeing smaller markets have fewer people on wait lists and sometimes hot references in the case. My local AD said they went through their list and purged it of out of state buyers that they didn’t know. That may have been AD specific though.

Cool, thanks for sharing. I think it probably is AD specific as I know some who do not adhere to it and others who do. I assume this will go away with the next market shift/economic downturn.
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 06:01 AM   #8
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

While I don’t know if it’s a Rolex policy or not, when I purchased my 116500 about a month ago my AD informed me via email that they could no longer accept credit card payments over the phone for Rolex and asked if I would be able to stop in to pay.

This exchange was with the owner whom I have a prior relationship with so I have no reason to believe it’s his policy to inconvenience me. At the time of the exchange he was under the impression he would be shipping the watch to me, but I ended up just picking it up as the store is 45 minutes away and on my way home from work.

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 06:03 AM   #9
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:

No kidding! This may better the odds of getting those hard to find pieces.
Old 18 November 2018, 06:11 AM   #10
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David5807 View Post
No kidding! This may better the odds of getting those hard to find pieces.

I have a couple of big success stories that were a direct result of this. If you put in the work you would be surprised what you may find.

Old 18 November 2018, 06:13 AM   #11
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have a couple of big success stories that were a direct result of this. If you put in the work you would be surprised what you may find.

Old 18 November 2018, 06:15 AM   #12
BakerView
"TRF" Member

Watch: that I'm Jonesin 4
Quote:

I have seen this as well in at least 3 States now.... I used to call, credit card, ship with ease. No longer, which is fine as it's nice to visit in person now and again.

The watch you give up today for the next grail may one day become your grail:
Rolex:116520, 16570, 216570, 116710LN, 16610LV, 16700, 116600
Panerai:PAM176, PAM1024, PAM88
Breitling:6.75, Aerospace x2, Chrono 44 GMT, Blackbird/utc, Bentley GT
IWC:3717.
BakerView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 06:21 AM   #13
Rolex85
"TRF" Member

While all SS models are sought after here, the ND sub has always been one of the easier ones to get from my discussions with the Vancouver ADs and I was often told over the last year that it would be a couple weeks to a month wait. November 2017was offered discount if I paid via bank draft or cash but a white skydweller showed up and I took that at full retail. now it is full retail on all SS.
Rolex85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 06:24 AM   #14
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If ADs across the globe were required to ID each customer in person, and permitted to log their inventory into a “dealer-net”, then the grey market would be slowed enough to allow the imbalance to normalize.

This would hurt some ADs who are selling out the backdoor, but it would allow them to fulfill any remote AD’s sale by shipping unsold inventory to that AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 06:58 AM   #15
VanAdian
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSOTM
Which Vancouver AD? Are you talking about the boutique store? The reason I ask is that they no longer have a list. It’s first come first served. Or at least in principle;)

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - B. Russell
VanAdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 07:39 AM   #16
thepress83
"TRF" Member

I would also like to know which ad. I’m in Vancouver and am looking for a nd sub this weekend.
thepress83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 07:44 AM   #17
TimingsEverything
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Face-to-face requirement probably explains my buddy's luck. He was traveling on business and happened to stop in at an AD. There was a new cerachrom Daytona they had available, so he snapped it up. If you're looking for a hard to find Rolex, like a BLRO, it pays to stop in to an AD when traveling.
"Every Rolex is made for greatness. The GMT-Master, introduced in 1955, was developed in collaboration with Pan Am to meet the needs of their international pilots. The GMT-Master II has proven to be even more invaluable as it features a rotatable 24-hour graduated bezel that allows those who travel the world to read three different time zones." Rolex.com
TimingsEverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 07:45 AM   #18
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:

It's not new in the States. Rolex USA has required ADs to sell in person only for several years. ADs will work around this if they have prior sales with you and know you, but phone sales have been long off limits, and are easy to police by the mother ship.

OP - the SS market is softening. I've seen subs, SD's, and LN GMTs in stock at the AD lately.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 07:45 AM   #19
Bosbevok
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date 40 GMT II
Which AD in Vancouver?

Bosbevok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 08:32 AM   #20
Bryano1028
"TRF" Member

Tried to buy a hulk in NC that came in, AD texted me and I had already gotten back to Ohio. Offered a premium for them go let me buy over phone and ship but no luck. Have a good relationship too, they wouldn’t budge.
Bryano1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 08:51 AM   #21
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
WOW! If this is true I may get that white DaytonaC sooner than I thought. Maybe a BLRO instead. I’m going to go to my AD where I have been waiting for almost 2 years now and see what’s going on. I’m also thinking of buying a ceramic gold Sub 116618LB. I’m going to ask them what the best price they can do for me is. If I can get a new one for 28-29k out the door that will be good enough for me. I want to develop a decent purchase history so that I get the good stuff without having to wait as long.

Buying everything from the GM will confine me to paying premiums forever.
Old 18 November 2018, 09:01 AM   #22
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecorsaire View Post
WOW! If this is true I may get that white DaytonaC sooner than I thought. Maybe a BLRO instead. I’m going to go to my AD where I have been waiting for almost 2 years now and see what’s going on. I’m also thinking of buying a ceramic gold Sub 116618LB. I’m going to ask them what the best price they can do for me is. If I can get a new one for 28-29k out the door that will be good enough for me. I want to develop a decent purchase history so that I get the good stuff without having to wait as long.

Buying everything from the GM will confine me to paying premiums forever.

If you are buying a Gold sub you should be able to get a package deal.

Old 18 November 2018, 09:09 AM   #23
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
I dont buy in person...my ADs are in 3 other states
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 09:49 AM   #24
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
If you are buying a Gold sub you should be able to get a package deal.

Yeah this is how I’ve heard that many people have gotten some in demand watches. I’ll give it a shot. I’m not a flipper so if I can get a good price on a new gold sub then perhaps they’ll offer me the Daytona. The problem is I only want the white one. I think this is also why I haven’t had luck so far. Had I not specified a preference when ordering it’s possible I would’ve been given a black one by now.

I know several people who have bought a DaytonaC from ADs but it’s always been the black one. To be honest I’ve tried it on and think it’s a gorgeous watch but I just don’t want to collect a bunch of watches with black dials. I know that I’m going to buy a black Sub (5513/16610/ or 116610) and more GMTs in the future (a 1675/16700/16750/16710 or the new BLRO).

Since I don’t typically like white dials because they’re more formal and plain, the Daytona is the perfect watch to get in white. There’s also more contrast and the sundials match the black bezel. A white dial on a steel DJ or WG DD is perfect as a daily watch to wear to work that isn’t loud.
Old 18 November 2018, 10:31 AM   #25
Tony8959
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecorsaire View Post
Yeah this is how I’ve heard that many people have gotten some in demand watches. I’ll give it a shot. I’m not a flipper so if I can get a good price on a new gold sub then perhaps they’ll offer me the Daytona. The problem is I only want the white one. I think this is also why I haven’t had luck so far. Had I not specified a preference when ordering it’s possible I would’ve been given a black one by now.

I know several people who have bought a DaytonaC from ADs but it’s always been the black one. To be honest I’ve tried it on and think it’s a gorgeous watch but I just don’t want to collect a bunch of watches with black dials. I know that I’m going to buy a black Sub (5513/16610/ or 116610) and more GMTs in the future (a 1675/16700/16750/16710 or the new BLRO).

Since I don’t typically like white dials because they’re more formal and plain, the Daytona is the perfect watch to get in white. There’s also more contrast and the sundials match the black bezel. A white dial on a steel DJ or WG DD is perfect as a daily watch to wear to work that isn’t loud.
If you find a black DaytonaC you don’t want I’d gladly take it lol
Tony8959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 12:05 PM   #26
thepress83
"TRF" Member

I just got back from the Rolex boutique on alberni. They had a polar exp2 in the display case but nothing else just in case anyone is looking for that watch in Vancouver.
thepress83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 12:42 PM   #27
stylinleems
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Was at a Rolex boutique today also, had an Explorer I and II (white dial) on display along with TT Sky-D White dial, black and blue dial Milgauss and no other stainless steel watches. Was told all SS were waiting lists now, don't even make it to the cases.
stylinleems is offline   Reply With Quote