The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 January 2019, 03:40 PM   #1
Bguye
"TRF" Member

Buying Rolex in Singapore vs USA

I am headed to Singapore in July for a business trip. Would prices be lower than in the USA as a general statement? Obviously not paying taxes but just curious on comparisons on costs.

Thanks in advance!
Bguye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 03:56 PM   #2
SurewoodMike
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC Port Perpetua
Wonder if their AD’s inventory isn’t depleted as US dealers given the run on many sports models?

If successful in landing your desired piece, you then face the challenges of US Customs limits unless you fly under their radar.

Safe and enjoyable travels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SurewoodMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 04:03 PM   #3
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Which model?

If they are short in the USA you won’t find one in Singapore.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 04:11 PM   #4
tanask211
"TRF" Member

What are the retail price USD for the AD on ss sub with date and ss Daytona ?

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk
tanask211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 04:20 PM   #5
Tape
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurewoodMike View Post

If successful in landing your desired piece, you then face the challenges of US Customs limits unless you fly under their radar.
No challenge at all unless they check you have you have the box and receipt as well and many times they couldn't care less.
Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 04:26 PM   #6
hon
"TRF" Member

Stock availability was real low.
Zero stock for SS for all ad in sg. Can't even find a AirKing.
StainlessSteel Datejust 36 or smaller DJ, Date, Perpetual with tight discount from 5%~8% depending on ad.
Not sure about 2T or PM because not really keen in them.
Datejust 41 zero discount selling at MSRP and can't even find one with blue or rhodium dial.
GST was 7% in sg if you able to get a GST refund.
Now is not a good time to buy Rolex in sg due to low stock and tight discount.
hon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 04:28 PM   #7
bmclaurin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
Practically no stock when I was there in December. And I visited probably 8 or 9 shops.

Rolex: SD 116600 | Submariner 114060 | GMT 126710BLNR | GMT 116710LN | Explorer II 216570 | Explorer 214270

Other: Vacheron Constantin | Panerai | Omega | Grand Seiko | Breitling
bmclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 04:49 PM   #8
jackcarls0n
"TRF" Member

Watch: D'tona,BLNR,Bronze
Been to Singapore and the prices are not that different. I’d stick to an AD in US and build a relation instead of buying in Singapore. Unless you find something you like, which you think is a good deal.
jackcarls0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2019, 08:30 PM   #9
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Having lived there for almost six years, the density of Rolex ADs in Singapore is amazing. There's more Rolex dealers than you can shake a stick at. I repatriated back home in August last year and the ADs have the same stock issues as most of the rest of the world. No real surprises here either, but the ADs also tend to look after existing clients before selling the more desirable models to 'walk-in' customers.

If you do spot something in an AD that blows your skirt up, be sure to have your passport to hand when pulling the trigger. They'll fill in the appropriate forms for you and you'll be able claim your GST (tax) back at the airport when leaving the country. It's 6% back on items over S$10,000 and 5.5% refund on goods below that. Very simple and painless procedure. Word of mild warning though: this doesn't apply to purchases made at grey dealers, so negotiate your price accordingly.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2019, 02:15 PM   #10
Bguye
"TRF" Member

Ideally I would be looking at a Submariner (Hulk or the Bluesy). Any chance of finding one?
Bguye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2019, 02:33 PM   #11
Zuger
"TRF" Member

Watch: me set the time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bguye View Post
Ideally I would be looking at a Submariner (Hulk or the Bluesy). Any chance of finding one?
Call the ADs you plan to visit one week before to ask about availability. If they have what you are looking for, ask them to reserve it for you. Better yet, call them one month before, and follow up each week. This helps to build a virtual relationship and show them you are serious. You may just get an AD or two to hook you up.
Zuger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2019, 04:25 PM   #12
Tape
Banned

When I bought my Rolex in London and got my VAT back at the airport I actually got it cheaper than I could have if I bought it in the States, if Singapore has the same tourists benefits I would say "yes" you could get it cheaper than buying in the States.
Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2019, 04:45 PM   #13
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

I suspect it is not much different than Tokyo. I was there in Nov. A lot of ADs, and none of them had any stock of any even slightly desirable pieces. If you were looking for a Ladies DJ you might have a chance. If I could have found a watch the tax rebate and the exchange rate would have worked in my favor. But the time spent looking was just time wasted while on vacation. Maybe next time I go back the supply will be better. However at Nartia I almost picked up a Seiko Snowflake at a pretty good price. I decided to save the funds for a more desirable piece. Maybe in hindsight I should have bought the Snowflake.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2019, 05:27 PM   #14
koryong
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
ADs in Asia are the worst places to expect finding a hot SS sports reference
koryong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2019, 06:06 PM   #15
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Not a foolproof method but GDP per capita (ppp) is a good estimate to gauge whether you can find rolex professional in a country or city.

The higher it is, the harder it is to buy popular model from AD.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2019, 01:44 AM   #16
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Having lived there for almost six years, the density of Rolex ADs in Singapore is amazing. There's more Rolex dealers than you can shake a stick at. I repatriated back home in August last year and the ADs have the same stock issues as most of the rest of the world. No real surprises here either, but the ADs also tend to look after existing clients before selling the more desirable models to 'walk-in' customers.

If you do spot something in an AD that blows your skirt up, be sure to have your passport to hand when pulling the trigger. They'll fill in the appropriate forms for you and you'll be able claim your GST (tax) back at the airport when leaving the country. It's 6% back on items over S$10,000 and 5.5% refund on goods below that. Very simple and painless procedure. Word of mild warning though: this doesn't apply to purchases made at grey dealers, so negotiate your price accordingly.
Agree with Paul. Spent over 3 years in SG before moving to KL.
Only place I seen more ADs was HK.
You may try your luck with PM or TT models. Sport SS are widely avaliable at grey dealers with adjusted price. Sometimes double.
If you buy at AD make sure you have passport. Claiming tax at Changi aiport is very easy and quick.
Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Tapatalk
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2019, 02:53 AM   #17
elee617
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am headed to Singapore in July for a business trip. Would prices be lower than in the USA as a general statement? Obviously not paying taxes but just curious on comparisons on costs.

Thanks in advance!
I’m an American and I’ve been living in Singapore for over 5 years now. Let’s just say Ive witnessed first hand the SS sports models steadily decline from 2013 till absolute rock bottom today. For Xmas I bought my wife a DJ 31, blue stick dial and fluted bezel on jubilee. I was considering adding the DJ 41 with the same configuration so we could have one matching watch and to my dismay the largest Rolex AD in Singapore told me he’d have to put me on a waiting list for that. There’s actually a waiting list for a blue dj 41.

I’ve bought numerous pieces through Cortina Watch before including my BLNR in 2014 and just purchased the aforementioned DJ 31 that day and as I further perused this massive store which also features a Historic Museum, I quickly realized how dire the situation in Singapore had become.

You will find nothing here at the ADs other than two tone DJs, PM DDs, Celinis and ladies models as far as the eye can see. Not even PM sports models including the hideous YMII.

But here’s the good news. US dollar is fairly strong against the Sing dollar so if you want a two tone DJ with a 6 percent refund at the airport, it can be done and in your favor.
elee617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2019, 06:01 PM   #18
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Not at an AD.

You might get lucky at the airport, but only if you happen to be at the AD within a couple of hours of their shipment arriving
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2019, 05:41 AM   #19
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Bluesy maybe, hulk no chance
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2019, 05:45 AM   #20
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5508 & 9401
Was there 2 weeks ago and visited at least 4-5 AD's. Not a single SS model with waitlists starting at 2 years...
Juhuatai is offline   Reply With Quote