The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 April 2021, 07:48 AM   #211
FORTN
Banned

Nice post, very insightful.
Thanks.
FORTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2021, 08:07 AM   #212
rfiorito
"TRF" Member

Watch: D-Blue
Thank you!
rfiorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 02:39 AM   #213
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
You'd only see bad timekeeping and extra wear on the seconds gear pivot. Aside from the known issue this movement is very solid and accurate.

As of now I have not seen a 2020 release on my bench with the issue. This might be very good news.

Good to see you post again, has been a while!

I have a 126613LB bought late December 2020. It is keeping excellent time, but amplitude is very low. I have concerns about it long term. I posted the specifics here, would love to hear your thoughts:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...2#post11291892
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2021, 02:12 AM   #214
PavlosE
"TRF" Member

Update dj41 3235 movement

Hello,
I have posted in the past regarding the problems with my watch. I will cite the situation in short so that I do not tire the readers.

Bought the watch, a dj41, on the 23/03/2018 (date on guarantee). (bought in Greece where I live).

After two years of smooth operation the watch started running late. Winded it again and again, the problem as time went by became worse.

Took to RSC in Athens, Greece. They repaired it. Got it back on 18/12/2020. They told me the pivot was worn so they changed the pivot, lubricated the watch with a new type of lubrication provided to them by Rolex (that's exactly what I was told) and finally serviced the watch.

The watch ran smoothly until May 2021 where I observed that it was running fast this time. About a minute a week. It got to a point where I would fix the time and after 2-3 weeks it would run fast about 3-4 min. I am sorry if this piece of information does not help the readers but I am not knowledgeable when it comes to watches to describe the problem in technical terms.

Took it back to RSC. They checked it and told me they had to regulate the balance wheel and the hairspring (or something like that. They told me the technical terms in Greek so I had to search for the translation)

I've had enough. I am writing a letter to Rolex. I know it will not do anything, I know they do not care but I have to do it for me.

Thank you and I hope my message is not too big for posting.
PavlosE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2021, 10:07 AM   #215
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PavlosE View Post
Hello,
I have posted in the past regarding the problems with my watch. I will cite the situation in short so that I do not tire the readers.

Bought the watch, a dj41, on the 23/03/2018 (date on guarantee). (bought in Greece where I live).

After two years of smooth operation the watch started running late. Winded it again and again, the problem as time went by became worse.

Took to RSC in Athens, Greece. They repaired it. Got it back on 18/12/2020. They told me the pivot was worn so they changed the pivot, lubricated the watch with a new type of lubrication provided to them by Rolex (that's exactly what I was told) and finally serviced the watch.

The watch ran smoothly until May 2021 where I observed that it was running fast this time. About a minute a week. It got to a point where I would fix the time and after 2-3 weeks it would run fast about 3-4 min. I am sorry if this piece of information does not help the readers but I am not knowledgeable when it comes to watches to describe the problem in technical terms.

Took it back to RSC. They checked it and told me they had to regulate the balance wheel and the hairspring (or something like that. They told me the technical terms in Greek so I had to search for the translation)

I've had enough. I am writing a letter to Rolex. I know it will not do anything, I know they do not care but I have to do it for me.

Thank you and I hope my message is not too big for posting.
You might be surprised how Rolex handles your watch going forward
Cheer up, that's what they tell us the 5 year warranty is for.
Please feel free to share any further developments from Rolex?
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2021, 08:37 PM   #216
PavlosE
"TRF" Member

Dear Dirt,

Thanks for the answer. I have a thought regarding the 5 year warranty you mention. You know the 5 year warranty works as quite the alibi wouldn't you agree? I mean in a few months my warranty expires and then anything that will happen to the watch will be labeled as "normal wear" or "This is why we have a 5 year warranty in Rolex. We expect a normal wear after 5 years of operation" and just like that the past problems will be erased.

I have a few friends who own rolex watches. Most of them have never taken their watch for a service and their watches run smoothly for 10-15 years or even more! Of course all of the aforementioned watches have the 3135 movement that has been proved to be as solid as they come.

Don't mean to argue with you in any way of course it is just that I am so disappointed. I do not want to come across as a whiner but it's not like I buy a Rolex every other day, you know?

I will mail the letter on Monday. If I ever get reply, which I do not think it will ever happen or if I get a reply it will probably be of the type "we are sorry for your misfortune, nothing that we can do, do not disturb us again, bye", or if there is any other development, I will post an update.

Thanks
PavlosE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2021, 10:35 PM   #217
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavlosE View Post
Dear Dirt,

Thanks for the answer. I have a thought regarding the 5 year warranty you mention. You know the 5 year warranty works as quite the alibi wouldn't you agree? I mean in a few months my warranty expires and then anything that will happen to the watch will be labeled as "normal wear" or "This is why we have a 5 year warranty in Rolex. We expect a normal wear after 5 years of operation" and just like that the past problems will be erased.

I have a few friends who own rolex watches. Most of them have never taken their watch for a service and their watches run smoothly for 10-15 years or even more! Of course all of the aforementioned watches have the 3135 movement that has been proved to be as solid as they come.

Don't mean to argue with you in any way of course it is just that I am so disappointed. I do not want to come across as a whiner but it's not like I buy a Rolex every other day, you know?

I will mail the letter on Monday. If I ever get reply, which I do not think it will ever happen or if I get a reply it will probably be of the type "we are sorry for your misfortune, nothing that we can do, do not disturb us again, bye", or if there is any other development, I will post an update.

Thanks
I've found Rolex to be great to deal with and IMO it is the real hidden value behind the brand. One just has to go about things in the right way in order to get the desired result

Sadly these new movements have something going on with them that Rolex can't seem to get on top of yet. Early on after their introduction I was very gung ho about them.
You know they were making a movement that had a long power reserve and it had a single spring barrel. It was thinner than the 31xx and was held to a higher accuracy standard than COSC even though the last of the 31xx movements were held to the same standard.
Combined with the 5 year warranty and longer recommended service intervals than any other movement with comparable technology and it was a Rolex. What could possibly go wrong?
Or so I thought

Fortunately there are great examples of watches with the older movements if things don't work out for you this time around
Old 9 April 2022, 12:34 AM   #218
Thomas Mudge
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Nomos
Ha, Ha, thanks for the entertainment. This is a hilarious video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbelg View Post
Thanks for your insights!

Here's a link to a video of a watchmaker with a few theories as to why the 32xx has/had problems but I only understand very little as it's in Mandarin.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ock5vJdtN2E
Thomas Mudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 05:51 AM   #219
Omarion07
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Mudge View Post
Ha, Ha, thanks for the entertainment. This is a hilarious video.

I’ve watched this video, the watchmaker claimed this movement design was patented by the Swatch group! Did I understand the translation correctly? If so, I thought this movement was fully designed and manufactured by Rolex?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Omarion07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 09:09 AM   #220
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omarion07 View Post
I’ve watched this video, the watchmaker claimed this movement design was patented by the Swatch group! Did I understand the translation correctly? If so, I thought this movement was fully designed and manufactured by Rolex?

Yes, saw that in the subtitles too. Odd.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 09:54 AM   #221
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
Yes, saw that in the subtitles too. Odd.
I honestly think there are a lot of things in the video that are not necessarily very well translated into the English subtitles.
Things can be completely taken out of context as the languages are so different.
As I don't speak the language I can't comment directly.

The man did touch on a point or two that I had never considered, which could easily feed into a compelling theory I have around the ongoing 32xx movement problems
Old 9 April 2022, 10:30 AM   #222
Kyjeeprealtor
"TRF" Member

That’s insane! Thank You for sharing! I’d definitely need to up my dose of cbd to work on something like that!
Kyjeeprealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 10:57 AM   #223
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Very informative. Thank you!
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2022, 11:06 AM   #224
amanbra
"TRF" Member

I don’t know about the hairspring theory. Dont they use the same in the Daytona ?

The 4130 is rock solid.

amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2023, 10:07 PM   #225
SearChart
TechXpert

It's a good looking movement

SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2023, 10:09 PM   #226
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
It's a good looking movement:thumbsup …]
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 02:01 PM   #227
Tridor
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD, DJ, SubC Date
So, Bas ... if you had to choose between the 31xx and 32xx, which one would it be? Thanks for the great pics and insights.
Old 27 February 2023, 02:56 PM   #228
SSMOKE
"TRF" Member

Great thread Bas, thank you for posting your expertise / knowledge. You are certainly an asset to the forum. I am honestly wondering, if today's post, around 10 months after the last, was satire. I agree, "It's a good looking movement." That being typed, is seems there is no consistent / permanent solution to the problem. Your thoughts? My personal experience with my 2021 SD43 that is now on its' way to RSC after running 3 sspd, then 9 sspd to suddenly more than a minute slow per day, is super disappointing. Do you think that this a problem with a solution or have you thrown in the towel and believe that 32XX's are only "Good looking movements."?
SSMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 09:22 PM   #229
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Servicing this 3235 from a DateJust 41 under warranty, seconds wheel pivot is dry on the dial side... Causing extra friction and wear which lowers amplitude and causes timekeeping issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101031-28 View Post
Love these behind scenes posts, thank you Bas!

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 09:32 PM   #230
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Good to see you still at it Bas!
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 11:48 PM   #231
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Quote:

May I ask you if the more recent production is still experiencing those lubrication issues?
Crown & Shield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2023, 11:53 PM   #232
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Good to see you're still around these parts Bas.

I'm sure we'd love to hear your latest expert opinion on the 32xx's now that some time has passed (outside of it being a pretty face of course).
Old 28 February 2023, 12:09 AM   #233
bigbaddom3
Banned

These are some really cool shots… Thanks for this post.
bigbaddom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2023, 01:17 AM   #234
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Below are two different engravings on the 3235 movements.

The left photo was published by Rolex SA yesterday, the right photo is yours.

I assume that the former "ADJ. 5 POS. + TEMP." represents a part of the COSC acceptance criteria while "SUPERLATIVE ADJ." is a more advanced adjustment procedure done by Rolex SA, i.e., the famous -2/+2 sec/day precision specification.

Or does the new engraving come along with an improved 32xx movement which contains some visible component modifications to cure the 32xx issue(s)?
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2023, 01:23 AM   #235
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:

Bas, thanks for resurfacing this thread; great to see some more photos! So far mine are running great.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2023, 02:32 AM   #236
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridor View Post
So, Bas ... if you had to choose between the 31xx and 32xx, which one would it be? Thanks for the great pics and insights.
I'm not buying a 32×× Rolex anytime soon, 31×× is still quite a bit more reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMOKE View Post
Great thread Bas, thank you for posting your expertise / knowledge. You are certainly an asset to the forum. I am honestly wondering, if today's post, around 10 months after the last, was satire. I agree, "It's a good looking movement." That being typed, is seems there is no consistent / permanent solution to the problem. Your thoughts? My personal experience with my 2021 SD43 that is now on its' way to RSC after running 3 sspd, then 9 sspd to suddenly more than a minute slow per day, is super disappointing. Do you think that this a problem with a solution or have you thrown in the towel and believe that 32XX's are only "Good looking movements."?
Unfortunately there's still issues with this movement, they can run incredibly accurately but not everyone gets lucky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown & Shield View Post
May I ask you if the more recent production is still experiencing those lubrication issues?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
Good to see you're still around these parts Bas.

I'm sure we'd love to hear your latest expert opinion on the 32xx's now that some time has passed (outside of it being a pretty face of course).

The ones coming in under warranty rarely have the first reported issue of lack of lubrication, but just don't have enough amplitude. It can be quite frustrating.
The 3230 is the most reliable so far.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2023, 02:37 AM   #237
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
I'm not buying a 32×× Rolex anytime soon, 31×× is still quite a bit more reliable.

Unfortunately there's still issues with this movement, they can run incredibly accurately but not everyone gets lucky...

The ones coming in under warranty rarely have the first reported issue of lack of lubrication, but just don't have enough amplitude. It can be quite frustrating.
Thank goodness I change them out every other day

Hope you’re doing well buddy
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2023, 03:03 AM   #238
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
I'm curious, do you think that the 3230 is genuinely the most reliable, or are there just fewer coming in?

In other words, is there something that makes models with a date, day, or 2nd timezone more prone to issues, or do fewer come in because 3230 is newer (first sold Sept. 2020) and in a smaller number of watches (only five references using) relative to the others?
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2023, 03:10 AM   #239
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm not surprised looking at the introduction dates of all 32xx movements, the 3230 is the newest:

2015: 3235, 3255
2016: -
2017: -
2018: 3285
2019: -
2020: 3230
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2023, 03:22 AM   #240
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks for the confirmation, Bas. Appreciated.