The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > For Sale: NON-ROLEX watches

Old 2 May 2019, 04:49 AM   #1
tomvox1
2024 Pledge Member

FS: Vintage Dodane Type 21 Tropical Dial Military Chronograph

Up for sale is this classic Dodane Type 21 French Air Force chronograph dating from the height of the Cold War era. This genuine issued military watch features the fantastic Valjoux caliber 235, a 30-minute chronograph caliber with flyback complication and an absolutely gorgeous dark chocolate Tropical dial. While MilWatch grading is somewhat beside the point this Dodane Type 21 is in overall Excellent condition with just the right amount of sexy Wabi and loads of wrist presence. The famed Valjoux cal. 235 is running strong and all chronograph functions, including the flyback/retour en vol, are operating as they should and resetting properly. This is a rare opportunity for the serious collector to land one of the seminal late-20th century aviator’s chronographs in outstanding overall condition for a fraction of the price of the Breguet version. I’m also including two well-matched straps, NATO & leather, for your maximum wearing pleasure.

This super cool tropical Armée de l’Air Dodane Type 21 chrono is now offered for sale for the asking price of $3,850 USD OBRO including worldwide FedEx shipping. Bank Wire strongly preferred. Other payment options upon application. Payment must be made in US DOLLARS. Watch will ship upon full clearance of the funds, as well as any necessary bank vetting.

CASE & BACK: Beautifully proportioned 38mm x 44mm stainless steel screw-back case in Excellent overall condition showing some likely light previous polish and some marks from wear. Likewise, the steel back has some minor external scratches but the full 6-digit issue number and one Fin de Garantie mark from 1979 are crisp and present, both of which confirm its provenance as a French Air Force-issued watch.

DIAL & HANDS: Excellent original dial has aged to a stunning shade of dark chocolate and features original Tritium Arabic numerals with some minor degradation that will glow briefly under black light, fully tracked constant seconds at "9" and 30-minute register at "3." The surrounding finely calibrated outer seconds track shows just a bit of paint loss here and there with some discoloration between the 20 and 30-minute area. Pencil-style hour & minute hands also appear to retain their original, briefly glowing luminous. Original luminous-painted chronograph sweep seconds hand retains its lume coating but has lost the very tip of its arrow end. Overall the handset is also in Excellent original condition. While there are "cleaner" Dodane Type 21 dials and hands this one ticks all the boxes for me in terms of wabi-sabi and overall vintage patina on the wrist. The dark brown tone of the dial really puts it over the top.

BEZEL: Steel (I believe) rotating countdown bezel features unusual decreasing numerals counting down clockwise from the 12 triangle. This can be used to gauge overall elapsed mission time and also to note departure time as the triangle lined up to the hour hand at take off will record that time at "12." As is typical the numerals have lost their original enamel paint giving the bezel a cool all-steel look. There are a couple of minor scratches and a bit of light pitting but the numerals are crisp and the knurling is still very sharp — Excellent condition and the bezel rotates firmly but freely in both directions, as designed.

CROWN & PUSHERS: Slightly oversized unsigned winding crown winds and pulls out to set the time as it should. The appearance of the pushers doesn't quite match with the top stop-start pusher having its plating worn off and the bottom flyback and reset pusher still fully plated and bright. Whether this happened at service or through normal wear and tear I have no idea. All pusher action is plenty crisp, though, and the flyback function resets and restarts with a firm press of that bottom pusher.

CRYSTAL: Older low-dome acrylic crystal is chip & crack free with just a few minor residual scratches.

MOVEMENT: This great Type 21 features the beautifully engineered Valjoux caliber 235 Flyback chronograph movement with a high beat rate of 21,600 bph, shock protection and sophisticated Triovis regulation. This is the correct movement for the later execution 2-register Type 21s. I had the watch fully overhauled when I first acquired it some years ago and it has run beautifully ever since. So while I can’t guarantee that it won't need service in future, this Dodane Type 21 keeps great time and all chronograph functions record and reset properly, including the flyback function of course. Guaranteed to be the case at the time of shipping.

STRAP: This great aviator’s chrono comes on a gently used gray Maratac NATO strap and I will also throw in a nice chestnut brown oiled leather strap in nearly new condition. This watch has a 19mm lug width and uses conventional spring bars.

As a matter of policy I make NO guarantees for the water resistance of this watch in any way, shape or form.

This great Dodane Type 21 military chrono is offered with a 3-day inspection period from the date of receipt and may be returned for a full refund (less any shipping costs incurred by the buyer). This refund is unconditional and once I get the watch back in exactly the same condition as it was sent to you, your money will be refunded. Of course, once the 3 days are over the sale will be considered FINAL.

Thanks for looking,
T.
tomvox1@hotmail.com
tomvox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2019, 05:33 AM   #2
tomvox1
2024 Pledge Member

TGIBumpday
tomvox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2019, 11:44 PM   #3
tomvox1
2024 Pledge Member