The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 13 September 2019, 04:54 PM   #1
baglady
"TRF" Member

My first Patek...

So sitting in my Kelly bag right now (I'm traveling) is a beautiful, brand new 5205R-010. The black dial makes my heart flutter. All doubts I had about this watch were laid to waste as I saw it in person and wore it on my wrist.

This watch stresses me out. The only way I can justify this financial lunacy is with the understanding that I'll likely get at least 80% of my money back if I decide to part with watch some day. Thankfully I've made so much that this shouldn't be a worry, but I don't come from wealth, and spending $40k on a watch still keeps me up at night, wondering what I would do if x,y,z,a,b,c calamity happens and I've lost all my money and need to make ends meet.

So wearing this watch stresses me out because I fear that every ding or scratch I get on it will wear down its value (and beauty). And this fear almost paralyzes me into not wearing the watch. And if I'm not going to wear the watch, why do I even own it?

Sigh. Sorry. This is why it sucks to be a woman sometimes. This is why I was reluctant to post about this watch when I bought it earlier this week. It's a huge moment for me, but one I feel that I can't fully relish because I still don't quite feel like I own the watch. The watch owns me.

Help change me!
baglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 04:59 PM   #2
Aquaman
Banned

Congrats girl or should that be congrats Karl
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 05:05 PM   #3
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Congrats baglady! Good watch to match with your kelly!
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 05:30 PM   #4
Hendrikus
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them...
Every ding or scratch will neither harm its value (save that you may one day need to pay for a service, at which it will be returned to you looking as good as new), nor will it wear down its beauty. Once you get over the psychological trauma of the first ding/scratch (we have all been there), you will find that these unique 'traits' merely endear you to the watch more! I spend a lot of time staring lovingly at the little scratches on some of my best watches!

Please...enjoy it. You have a remarkable timepiece there!
Old 13 September 2019, 05:32 PM   #5
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Most watches aren't like Birkin bags. You can, generally, resell a pristine Birkin for what you paid, but if you take the plastic off of the hardware and carry the Birkin, POOF, half the value magically disappears. With most watches half the value disappears as soon as you walk out of the store so it doesn't make any difference if you wear it and get a few scratches on it. Plus, the watch can always be re-polished which reduces the value even further.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 06:10 PM   #6
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Congratulations, and enjoy it in good health, though please get over the fear ASAP. It’s just a watch.

May I ask, is it the one in the window of Armour Winston last week?
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 06:12 PM   #7
baglady
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
Congratulations, and enjoy it in good health, though please get over the fear ASAP. It’s just a watch.

May I ask, is it the one in the window of Armour Winston last week?

No sorry I didn't respond to your PM. This one was from WoS on Oxford Street.
Old 13 September 2019, 06:14 PM   #8
baglady
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Most watches aren't like Birkin bags. You can, generally, resell a pristine Birkin for what you paid, but if you take the plastic off of the hardware and carry the Birkin, POOF, half the value magically disappears. With most watches half the value disappears as soon as you walk out of the store so it doesn't make any difference if you wear it and get a few scratches on it. Plus, the watch can always be re-polished which reduces the value even further.
Ooh I need to defend my Birkins! I treat mine very well and the plastic has of course come off the hardware. But I generally get at least 2x of my capital back on those.

The Kelly I'm carrying right now is selling for 4x-5x on the grey market, and it's not even an exotic leather.
Old 13 September 2019, 09:06 PM   #9
MilesB
"TRF" Member

That was quick, congratulations on the new watch! You have to do the obligatory wrist shot.

Jumping up the watch price bracket the first time can make you anxious, but don't worry, the second time is a lot easier.
MilesB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 09:14 PM   #10
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BBGMT
I think if you are comfortable spending that kind of cash on a bag you will quickly get used to being comfortable with the watch. While it may be more common for people to spend crazy amounts of money on handbags, lets be honest its just a bag. What you just bought is horological art and puts you in a special crowd.

Congrats and I look forward to seeing pictures.
derekhayden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 09:20 PM   #11
Dayhvac
"TRF" Member

Congrats!! Wear in good health
Dayhvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 09:51 PM   #12
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

Congratulations on your new 5205R, the black dial looks great (I've got the opaline white dial version). I appreciate your concern about dinging the watch, I had (and have) that exact same concern on mine.

That concern was something I didn't recognize when I was thinking of buying the 5205R. I had owned "lesser" Pateks before e.g. 3919, 5015, 5035 and didn't have that worry when wearing any of those, and still don't have that worry with my current 5227R. I think maybe it has to do with a relative price threshold: as you buy more expensive watches, somewhere you cross that line of "lunacy" as you call it (BTW, that's a relative number for each person, I've got friends that think it's lunacy to spend more than $500 on a watch, and others that don't blink at dropping $75k or more). Meaning, for many people of non-infinite economic means, there are typically price points of inflection from "reasonable", to "extravagant", and finally to "lunacy".

How do I resolve that as I go up that curve and flirt with lunacy? Well, first I find myself wearing my "lesser" 5227R more often than my 5205R (to avoid the issue). Second, I also find myself being careful when I wear either one, especially the 5205R - I like my Pateks to be absolutely pristine, so I always wear them somewhat vigilantly and respectfully for what they represent to me (i.e. these are not my "beater" watches, I wear them often but not in situations where they're likely to get battered).

But ultimately, the way I resolve the "ding and lunacy" worry is to remember why I bought the 5205 in the first place: I just really, really, really like the damn thing. I spent a long time debating whether or not to get it, it was not a frivolous or impulsive buy at all. I purchased it deliberately - so I wear it deliberately. And I savor the hell out of it every time I wear it.

Anyway, congrats again on your new 5205, great choice, enjoy it thoroughly.
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 10:12 PM   #13
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Congrats!!! Wear it in good health
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 11:48 PM   #14
djman
"TRF" Member

I feel your pain. I've just bought a steel 5164 Aquanaut Travel Time from the London salon and have spent the last week or so studiously avoiding crowds of people, door knobs and brick walls. Every night I've been examining it and polishing it before putting it into its travel case ... I can't go on like this, I'm just going to have to strap it on and act normally, not wander around like someone with a broken arm. I find myself being much more careful with this one than the usual rolexes I bung on and forget I'm wearing.
This is my first Patek and what a lovely watch, I am just blown away by the quality and finishing. And the dial ... just wow. This is the nicest watch I've ever owned, by some margin and I've had a few high value ones in the past. I will I am sure put a ding in mine at some point and I won't be overjoyed about it, but as another poster has said, a refinish at servicing will make it brand new again. Watches are for wearing. I say go for it but take it off if you're going to do any hard manual labour! Love the look of yours btw. What a lovely looking thing.
djman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2019, 11:52 PM   #15
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Congratulations. Enjoy it :)
Old 14 September 2019, 12:02 AM   #16
ct.matt
"TRF" Member

A Patek is not for everyone. If you worry about dings and scratches, you're likely not rich enough
ct.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 12:07 AM   #17
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Hmmm. Not sure I fully agree. I think it’s the reverse
Old 14 September 2019, 12:08 AM   #18
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct.matt View Post
A Patek is not for everyone. If you worry about dings and scratches, you're likely not rich enough
We going back to the fake rich convo. Where is SLbrabus when you need him
Old 14 September 2019, 12:10 AM   #19
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
Congrats girl or should that be congrats Karl
Oops!
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 12:15 AM   #20
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Nice pick up, I love that watch! Lets see some wrist pics when you get it unwrapped.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 12:15 AM   #21
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Oops!
Who is Karl? Lol
Old 14 September 2019, 12:36 AM   #22
baglady
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djman View Post
I feel your pain. I've just bought a steel 5164 Aquanaut Travel Time
Kind sir, would you be willing to “hook a sister up” and tell me how you pulled this off?
Old 14 September 2019, 12:40 AM   #23
ct.matt
"TRF" Member

This thread is worthless without pics

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
ct.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 12:41 AM   #24
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Hmmm. Not sure I fully agree. I think it’s the reverse
Excellent. Sounds good to me.
Old 14 September 2019, 12:44 AM   #25
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baglady View Post
Kind sir, would you be willing to “hook a sister up” and tell me how you pulled this off?
i have also just received my 5164a and i don't even like it too much.
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 12:44 AM   #26
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Excellent. Sounds good to me.
I’ve sold brand new birkins and lost 30% instantly...
Old 14 September 2019, 12:46 AM   #27
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
i have also just received my 5164a and i don't even like it too much.
U didn’t dislike it... u like the R more :)
Old 14 September 2019, 12:59 AM   #28
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
U didn’t dislike it... u like the R more :)
true
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 01:15 AM   #29
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Wear it and don't worry about marks, places like Watchfinder will re-polish it any way when they sell it so the price they offer you will not be very different, having all the box and papers and the year it was made are greater factors.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2019, 01:17 AM   #30
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I’ve sold brand new birkins and lost 30% instantly...
You need to consult with baglady in the future. She seems to have the magic formula for selling Hermes bags. Maybe double your money instead of losing 30%.