The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 May 2020, 12:14 PM   #1
chinaski
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyProExplorer1
Rolex Air King Lume

This has probably been covered, but I did search and didn't see a thread pop out immediately discussing this topic.

That said, I plan on purchasing an Explorer in the not too distant future, but as a flyer myself, the Air King has a certain appeal. And from time to time, I am on the fence about this. I REALLY like the watch. I do like funky, and I probably need a "do it all watch" as both of my currents (Tudor Black Bay Steel, Omega Speedmaster Moon) don't really fit the bill in that regard. I am rarely in a Black Tie setting FWIW. Few times a year maybe.

My main problem with the Air King is the Lume. The Air King seems like incomplete work. I know the hands and the triangle at 12 are lumed, but the rest of it is dark so to speak.

So, for those of you that have them, do you have any trouble reading the time at quick glance? I'm a radio airborne reporter in small aircraft, so it gets dark at certain times of the year. Timing and Accuracy is everything to me.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 29 May 2020, 12:19 PM   #2
reddog4063
"TRF" Member

I owned a movado for years before the air king, so maybe i got used to this over time, but the lack of lume does not impede my ability to tell the time in the dark. Sure I would love if the 3, 6, 9 had lume but its easy enough to tell where the hands are.

**Please note, all of my posts are meant to spark discussion to make the board fun. I do not need advice and consent, I am having fun here**
Old 29 May 2020, 01:14 PM   #3
pigman08
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,16710,214270
Get a new Explorer... I certainly haven’t had the opportunity to see many references in low light conditions. But, I can’t help but think that the Explorer will by far be the easiest one to read with just a quick glance, regardless of the lighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
♛- Yet to be determined, but a white 16520 is on the short list. (I believe that I'll be able to read it better than my old 116520)
Old 29 May 2020, 01:25 PM   #4
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
If you know where the 12 is (hint: it's the big glowing triangle), and can read time, you really don't need more lume under normal circumstances (not caving, diving, in a shoot out).

Also, the lume is super bright in complete darkness.

Closed Thread