The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 August 2020, 11:07 PM   #1
Baxterdown
"TRF" Member

Icon5 SD43 Running Slow(er)

Hi guys! Hope everyone is well and staying safe.

I had posted a couple of years ago (a few months after I got my SD43) that it was running slow (loosing about a min a month). You guys responded that spec allowed to run fast/slow 2 seconds per day and that what I was experiencing was normal.

It's gotten progressively worse and now it's loosing about 3 minutes every 10 days. This is my daily watch so it gets plenty of winding.

I reached out to Rolex Customer Service (not my AD, but Rolex proper) and they said to send it in for inspection (I got an email with the instructions on how to pack it and ship it).

I wanted to ask you guys about your experience with Rolex Customer Service. Anything I need to be aware of (good or bad)? I'm terrified of putting my baby in a box and shipping it to some strange basement where a big bad guy is gonna take it apart, LOL!

Thanks as always for your thoughts,

Jose
Baxterdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 11:19 PM   #2
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
You mean RSC in Dallas or NYC?

They’ll most like change the lubricant and regulate as this was a common theme in the early going for this movement from what I gather. Bas or Scott can confirm here.

Mine has run perfectly since I got it May4, 2017.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 11:40 PM   #3
cfjan
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Happened to mine. Went from very accurate to -20 second a day after a year or so of use. Took it into the service center and got it back all fixed (now about +1 per day)
cfjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 11:40 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxterdown View Post
Hi guys! Hope everyone is well and staying safe.

I had posted a couple of years ago (a few months after I got my SD43) that it was running slow (loosing about a min a month). You guys responded that spec allowed to run fast/slow 2 seconds per day and that what I was experiencing was normal.

It's gotten progressively worse and now it's loosing about 3 minutes every 10 days. This is my daily watch so it gets plenty of winding.

I reached out to Rolex Customer Service (not my AD, but Rolex proper) and they said to send it in for inspection (I got an email with the instructions on how to pack it and ship it).

I wanted to ask you guys about your experience with Rolex Customer Service. Anything I need to be aware of (good or bad)? I'm terrified of putting my baby in a box and shipping it to some strange basement where a big bad guy is gonna take it apart, LOL!

Thanks as always for your thoughts,

Jose
Forget your watch as being a baby its just a watch and just like thousands of other watches all brands thats get shipped every day and serviced.The 32 series movement has a few problems but easily rectified by opening your watch and having a simple movement service.In the email you receive about shipping, follow the shipping instructions to the exact letter.And there is no a big bad guy it will be done by a Rolex watchmaker thats had many years experience working on thousands of Rolex movements just like yours.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 11:48 PM   #5
Baxterdown
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

@brandrea, it's RSC in NYC. The big bad guy thing was just a joke

I bought mine new from my AD in March 2018. Great to hear that it can be easily corrected.

I'll circle back here when I get it back and have had a chance to test it.

Enjoy your Sunday everyone!
Baxterdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 11:48 PM   #6
MacanS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk, Z blue
The harder part of the shipping was finding that special tamper tape they want you to use. Took longer than it needed to for me
MacanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 12:33 AM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacanS View Post
The harder part of the shipping was finding that special tamper tape they want you to use. Took longer than it needed to for me
Cannot understand why its just simple brown tape that can be bought at nearly every stationary store.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 01:17 AM   #8
NIHO
"TRF" Member

SD43 issue

mine was bought DEC 2018, same problem, now is at Dallas RSC getting serviced. I took it to an AD and had the ship it. Took RSC 3 weeks just to open the package and get it to the watchmaker. Now they are fixing it. Good luck.
NIHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 01:50 AM   #9
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
No issues and follow the instructions. Your watch will be back before long and will be right.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 02:03 AM   #10
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
3235 movement .Too little oil on the bearing,I believe .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 02:07 AM   #11
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
i have no issue with my SD43 which i bought about a year and a half ago. l took it to the RSC to have the diver extension removed about 2 weeks after purchase, found some scratches on the caseback when i got it back. surely they opened the case and examined the movement, which is a standard procedure to check the authenticity of the watch. may be they changed something at that time which solved the problem, but i am not sure.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 05:09 AM   #12
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
You mean RSC in Dallas or NYC?

They’ll most like change the lubricant and regulate as this was a common theme in the early going for this movement from what I gather. Bas or Scott can confirm here.

Mine has run perfectly since I got it May4, 2017.
Not just lubricating, it needs full service.

The seconds wheel pivot just wears to shreds in this movement.

Where you see that 'serrated' surface, that is where it wears, it should be smooth and shiny like a mirror...

Last edited by SearChart; 10 August 2020 at 05:10 AM.. Reason: Adding the pic..
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 05:18 AM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Not just lubricating, it needs full service.

The seconds wheel pivot just wears to shreds in this movement.

Where you see that 'serrated' surface, that is where it wears, it should be smooth and shiny like a mirror...
Thank you for this Bas! Truly.

I'm curious what do folks like myself do who've never had an issue with time keeping ... just wait it out?

Would Rolex repair after warranty?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 05:19 AM   #14
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Thank you for this Bas! Truly.

I'm curious what do folks like myself do who've never had an issue with time keeping ... just wait it out?

Would Rolex repair after warranty?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
After warranty I'm afraid you will have to pay for the service.

It doesn't affect all of them though, so I wouldn't be too worried.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 05:56 AM   #15
ghassett98
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
After warranty I'm afraid you will have to pay for the service.

It doesn't affect all of them though, so I wouldn't be too worried.
How prevalent is this issue? I just acquired the SD43 and seems to be running perfectly. Are there any rough estimates on what percentage of these watches it affects?
ghassett98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 06:43 AM   #16
Doood
"TRF" Member

I wonder how many folks have sent in their SD43 for this issue more than once?

I really dig the TTSD43 but may hold off for now.
Doood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 07:03 AM   #17
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doood View Post
I wonder how many folks have sent in their SD43 for this issue more than once?

I really dig the TTSD43 but may hold off for now.
3235 is not just in the SD43 .....
Old 10 August 2020, 07:10 AM   #18
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

New to me 126660 Deep Blue (2018) is already on its way to RSC under warrantee .

Had it for 5 days ...runs a very constant -5s/day .Out of spec slow ,off you go !
I presume its starting with the "running slow "issue .
Have it serviced before damage occurs .

Naughty Rolex,really naughty on the 3235 movement .
Old 12 August 2020, 05:01 PM   #19
Doood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
3235 is not just in the SD43 .....
...true. Have a sub and gmt but looking for something a little larger. Polar explorer has been on my radar and has old school movement...for now, at least.

I remember your polar explorer incoming. Does she get much wrist time? Sorry to thread jack.

Just wish Explorer had glide lock.

I am a fan also of quiet rotor. Can you hear the rotors in these new movements?
Doood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 01:36 PM   #20
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

SearChart,
Excellent information and photo. I had had to send my sd43 and dssd back to RSC about 1 year ago for this issue. Now my dssd is starting to slow down again. sd43 good so far but I feel like I am just waiting for it to happen again and this should not be occurring on a watch at this level.

My question is do they change out this "seconds wheel pivot" with a new one each time it is sent back? And are you aware if Rolex has come up with a long-term solution to the issue? What is the solution - using a different material on that piece?
Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 01:51 PM   #21
Jster
2024 Pledge Member

My DJ41 has the same movement. I’ve had it for almost 3 years and it keeps getting slower and slower. It doesn’t bug me too much but I’ll send it in before the warranty expires in 2 years.
Jster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 01:34 PM   #22
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jster View Post
My DJ41 has the same movement. I’ve had it for almost 3 years and it keeps getting slower and slower. It doesn’t bug me too much but I’ll send it in before the warranty expires in 2 years.
Excellent idea except there may be a quantity of fine metal particles being deposited in and around the movement as wear increases.
Keep in mind that the issue is caused by a lack of lube so it will indeed be running dry.
Perhaps it may be better to go earlier on the warranty claim if you value the preservation of your movement
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 01:41 PM   #23
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman1 View Post
My question is do they change out this "seconds wheel pivot" with a new one each time it is sent back?
It's highly likely.
Reviewing the pic showing the nature and extent of the wear on the pivot, I should imagine any movement presenting with the issue will automatically have it changed.
Old 4 September 2020, 07:13 AM   #24
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Had the same issue with my dssd jc bought it start of 18. Kept time perfectly for a year and a half then started losing 15 minutes here and there. AD sent it back, its fine now but never heard a word about what was done to the watch. Makes me worry a bit now since I just bought a YM42 with the same caliber
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 02:20 AM   #25
hgbayoud
"TRF" Member

Hi guys ... really such a mess ... my SD43 now loosing 7.5 after almost a year ... what sucks is that I bought this watch grey market ... and I don’t know how good service is in the only Rolex AD in my country ... there are some watchmakers in Lebanon but again can I trust they know about this particular issue ...

Any advice .... should I sleep on it since it is still bearable how slow it is ... I can live with it ... but am I creating more problems by ignoring the issue????

Thank you
hgbayoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 04:16 AM   #26
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgbayoud View Post
Hi guys ... really such a mess ... my SD43 now loosing 7.5 after almost a year ... what sucks is that I bought this watch grey market ... and I don’t know how good service is in the only Rolex AD in my country ... there are some watchmakers in Lebanon but again can I trust they know about this particular issue ...

Any advice .... should I sleep on it since it is still bearable how slow it is ... I can live with it ... but am I creating more problems by ignoring the issue????

Thank you
Let the AD send it to the RSC they use .
Old 28 October 2020, 06:17 AM   #27
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Let the AD send it to the RSC they use .
I totally agree.
Old 28 October 2020, 09:04 AM   #28
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
My DJ41 is now 14 months old, no issues yet, but I have a 10 year guarantee so not overly concerned, if something goes wrong the AD and Rolex can sort it out, that is what a warranty is for.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 09:29 AM   #29
JohnnyMack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DeepSea Blue
After a 1.5 years, I just sent my SD43 in for servicing for being slow.

I travel everywhere with it, and what I found is when I wear it sleeping (yes, in some countries it never comes off).....it ran 10 secs slow per day. If I am home, took it off, placing it face up, it was right on point.

So enough of the games and sent it in. I used my AD to send it in to Dallas (I believe).
Old 10 December 2020, 09:16 AM   #30
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Just reviving this thread as my SD43 (bought mid 2019) has also just started to slow down. It's been deadly accurate for the last 18 months (+/-0.5 secs a day), but it recently started losing 3 seconds a day, then 4 seconds, and currently now 6 seconds a day.

I've done a lot of digging over the last few days to get information on this issue and with the number of occurrences I've seen online, it's really starting to feel more like an inherent design fault rather than just a lack of lubrication. I'm sure Rolex will eventually fix it properly, instead of just lubricating it (along with a service) and sending it back out, but I guess the question is when?

Bit of a pain as my AD has promised me the next BLRO they get in, but I'm now not sure I want another 32XX movement just yet.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote