The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 September 2020, 02:55 AM   #1
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Registered for New Sub & AD Update

This morning I sat down in my AD with my SA and completed the paperwork necessary to include me in the list of people who have 'Expressed an Interest' in the new Submariner range.

The process was quite painless, the SA simply updated my data they hold on file and I signed to confirm that the details were correct.

I have asked for the Submariner, not the date version.

Once that was done we chatted about the new launches, the Oyster Perpetual changes were the ones that surprised the dealership, caught them a bit unawares, however they are expecting sufficient stock to have a good window display in the next few weeks.

The dealer told me that they were swamped with calls for the Submariner over the first two days after the announcement but the volume of calls has subsided considerably since then.

Apparently the new policy advised by Rolex for all new professional launches, is that anyone who wants to be considered for a 'Professional' watch must have previous purchase history, those who are interested in the new range of watches must register in person with their AD. Anyone on a list for watch X will not be transferred to the revised watch X when it is announced.

Therefore, the impression that I have been given is that if you have good purchase history and register for the new watches then you will get one reasonably quickly, (Rolex quickly) when I suggested that the watch would take around 2 years to come through the SA stated that they didn't know for sure but felt confident that I would get my watch well before that as I have buying history both watches and jewellery which the store likes.

The clear message that came through in the conversations today that everything possible is being done to reduce the possibility of watches being given to flippers, my SA called them a pain in the ****. They want the watches in the hands of those people who want to own them not sell them on.

It was an interesting chat, I was surprised that the green bezel Sub Date wasn't as popular as the black bezel version, but the SA told me that most people want the traditional black version the green was well behind in popularity. The OP is getting a lot of interest but the Sky Dweller less so, only a few calls have been received for this watch but considering the price that is probably why.

How much is Rolex policy and how much is AD policy remains to be seen, but my name is registered and my Submariner will be with me in due course, still reckon it will be a couple of years before it arrives though (hope I'm wrong on how long it takes).

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 03:04 AM   #2
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Registered for New Sub & AD Update

Thanks for sharing. I put very little into “we have been swamped with calls”. I’m in sales as well and I use that same tactic lol. Even though some days I’m slower than slow

Oldest trick in the book imo
Hollie_Rollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 03:11 AM   #3
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
Apparently the new policy advised by Rolex for all new professional launches, is that anyone who wants to be considered for a 'Professional' watch must have previous purchase history
LOL

I love the “advised by Rolex” part

Sounds like a great story for a sales person to tell to get someone to buy stuff they don’t want
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 03:14 AM   #4
coconilla
"TRF" Member

Did they have any other new models?
coconilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 03:16 AM   #5
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
Thanks for sharing. I put very little into “we have been swamped with calls”. I’m in sales as well and I use that same tactic lol. Even though some days I’m slower than slow

Oldest trick in the book imo
Haha, no doubt that there is an element of embellishment in 'swamped with calls' but they were hardly likely to tell me that things had been very quiet, and a number of people on TRF have commented that their AD was all but impossible to contact at the beginning of the month. So I'm sure that calls have been well above normal and they haven't had a lot of time to drink tea, eat biscuits and chat about last nights TV.

Old 5 September 2020, 03:20 AM   #6
Ranger67
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB Bluesy
I sent an email to my AD asking to view the new Sub range when possible, not had a reply yet, good luck with your quest.
Ranger67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 03:41 AM   #7
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
LOL

Sounds like a great story for a sales person to tell to get someone to buy stuff they don’t want
Not a problem for me as I passed that test a while back.

But the AD is being open about this, not hiding it from callers, people making appointments to ask for the new watches are going to be told no unless......

My gut feeling is that the AD is trying to reduce the possibility of watches going from them to a buyer only to appear a short while later on Watchfinder, Chrono24 etc.

Will it work? Who knows only time will tell.

Old 5 September 2020, 03:49 AM   #8
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
LOL

Indeed. Another AD talking shit. Rolex do not and can not impose such a policy on an AD. The AD can impose any policy they see fit. Blaming it on Rolex is a cheap shot.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 04:58 AM   #9
atler
"TRF" Member

I don't understand why Rolex would advice a policy of selling to those with a previous Rolex purchase history. I think that's coming from the AD itself to feed their VIP's. The AD where I live got that practice and I'm unable to get on the list.
atler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 05:20 AM   #10
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Indeed. Another AD talking shit. Rolex do not and can not impose such a policy on an AD. The AD can impose any policy they see fit. Blaming it on Rolex is a cheap shot.
You may well be right, I have just passed on the comment made to me.

The only thing that I would say is that the AD would be very brave saying that it was Rolex imposing policy when it was in fact the AD, if Rolex were to hear what the AD was doing and didn't agree the AD could lose its franchise, they have been taken away for less.

In reality, I'm not bothered as long as I get my watch as quickly as possible.

Old 5 September 2020, 05:30 AM   #11
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Good to see ADs properly vetting, qualifying, and background checking their customers for the new Sub!!!
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 05:59 AM   #12
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO;PP5230G
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
Good to see ADs properly vetting, qualifying, and background checking their customers for the new Sub!!!
You can't be serious about this What you are essentially saying is the AD's are engaging in discrimination. Vetting? Qualifying? If a person goes to the AD and they want the watch, the AD should sell them the watch, there shouldn't be a background check involved.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oEdv7...Ces/source.gif
Rexplorer214270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 06:19 AM   #13
copperjohn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp
Two of the AD’s in my town took my name but says there is no real list. One does text me, the other provided their card and said I could call and check with them occasionally.

Looking on the Rolex website I saw Morreti’s is also an AD. I called to inquire about the BLRO. Basically, during the conversation the gentleman asked if I owned a Rolex (I said yes, two) and he asked where I bought them. I told him. His response was that maybe I should buy the BLRO from that AD also since I am an “established customer” there. Yep, I want to spend what, $9500, but they don’t want it. He didn’t give me any other option... just, go away. It was weird.
copperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 06:27 AM   #14
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

sounds good to me...hopefully you won't have to wait too long...
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 06:30 AM   #15
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
While selling through the back channels to greys
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 06:35 AM   #16
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexplorer214270 View Post
You can't be serious about this What you are essentially saying is the AD's are engaging in discrimination. Vetting? Qualifying? If a person goes to the AD and they want the watch, the AD should sell them the watch, there shouldn't be a background check involved.

I disagree 100%. ADs should be able to sell to whomever they want. If the AD doesn’t want desirable watches to be sold to brokers and flippers, I’m all for it.
Old 5 September 2020, 06:35 AM   #17
PepsiBezel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Neo-Vintage
LoL...

If they truly want the watch in the hands of those who want them and not flippers I do not think they would have changed warranty cards in August to remove the name...
PepsiBezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 06:47 AM   #18
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexplorer214270 View Post

I'm curious how this is discrimination?

Old 5 September 2020, 06:55 AM   #19
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I wish you well in your quest Martin
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 06:58 AM   #20
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Cool we have to register now. Kind of like the dmv when you get your license haha. What a joke some ADS are
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 07:05 AM   #21
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This morning I sat down in my AD with my SA and completed the paperwork necessary to include me in the list of people who have 'Expressed an Interest' in the new Submariner range.

The process was quite painless, the SA simply updated my data they hold on file and I signed to confirm that the details were correct.

I have asked for the Submariner, not the date version.

Once that was done we chatted about the new launches, the Oyster Perpetual changes were the ones that surprised the dealership, caught them a bit unawares, however they are expecting sufficient stock to have a good window display in the next few weeks.

The dealer told me that they were swamped with calls for the Submariner over the first two days after the announcement but the volume of calls has subsided considerably since then.

Apparently the new policy advised by Rolex for all new professional launches, is that anyone who wants to be considered for a 'Professional' watch must have previous purchase history, those who are interested in the new range of watches must register in person with their AD. Anyone on a list for watch X will not be transferred to the revised watch X when it is announced.

Therefore, the impression that I have been given is that if you have good purchase history and register for the new watches then you will get one reasonably quickly, (Rolex quickly) when I suggested that the watch would take around 2 years to come through the SA stated that they didn't know for sure but felt confident that I would get my watch well before that as I have buying history both watches and jewellery which the store likes.

The clear message that came through in the conversations today that everything possible is being done to reduce the possibility of watches being given to flippers, my SA called them a pain in the ****. They want the watches in the hands of those people who want to own them not sell them on.

It was an interesting chat, I was surprised that the green bezel Sub Date wasn't as popular as the black bezel version, but the SA told me that most people want the traditional black version the green was well behind in popularity. The OP is getting a lot of interest but the Sky Dweller less so, only a few calls have been received for this watch but considering the price that is probably why.

How much is Rolex policy and how much is AD policy remains to be seen, but my name is registered and my Submariner will be with me in due course, still reckon it will be a couple of years before it arrives though (hope I'm wrong on how long it takes).
This is Goldsmiths or Watches Of Switzerland isn't it? Gotta be
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 07:06 AM   #22
drfrankenstein
"TRF" Member

Must be tough if you're not an established customer anywhere.

The more I think about this and read things on here, I am starting to think Rolex and their distribution network is simply trying to hopelessly maintain control of what is an essentially an outdated sales system.
drfrankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 07:17 AM   #23
EagleArmsHBAR
"TRF" Member

Many of the ADs I have had relationships with lost their dealership with Rolex. It’s very frustrating.
EagleArmsHBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 07:24 AM   #24
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You may well be right, I have just passed on the comment made to me.
I understand. No slight on you intended. It's good to get feedback from ADs in the UK. A pinch of salt is required but we take that into consideration.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 07:24 AM   #25
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Sounds about right.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 07:44 AM   #26
Douglas9700
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Subs
I went to a local S.D. AD this week and asked to be put on the list for a new Sub, the salesperson who was quite full of himself, told me 1. there is no list, and 2. the customers they already have a relationship with them will get them and others are essentially wasting their time asking. He continued with, however, if I purchased a gold Rolex from him now, my chances of getting a Sub would be greatly increased. Since they've only been there a couple years, I have no relationship with them, and after putting up with his "holier than though" attitude-I left confident that this was not a place I would choose for a relationship regardless. Have to admit, I was surprised how snooty he was during the conversation.
Douglas9700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 07:47 AM   #27
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas9700 View Post
I went to a local S.D. AD this week and asked to be put on the list for a new Sub, the salesperson who was quite full of himself, told me 1. there is no list, and 2. the customers they already have a relationship with them will get them and others are essentially wasting their time asking. He continued with, however, if I purchased a gold Rolex from him now, my chances of getting a Sub would be greatly increased. Since they've only been there a couple years, I have no relationship with them, and after putting up with his "holier than though" attitude-I left confident that this was not a place I would choose for a relationship regardless. Have to admit, I was surprised how snooty he was during the conversation.
ADs are full of really bad salespeople. He should have made you feel appreciated.

Customer service at some ADs leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 5 September 2020, 08:10 AM   #28
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I wish you well in your quest Martin
Thank you, I'll add to the thread if and when I get information to share.

Old 5 September 2020, 08:11 AM   #29
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrd View Post
This is Goldsmiths or Watches Of Switzerland isn't it? Gotta be
Isn't that one and the same?

Old 5 September 2020, 04:33 PM   #30
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Isn't that one and the same?

Both part of WOS Group (along with Mappin and Webb and a few others I think).

The sales patter is so recognisable, even though head office change the rules all the time.

The line about prior purchases is nothing to do with Rolex (why would they care?) that's WOSG head office maximising profit per watch.

Not sure why they have Rolex SAs (that probably is a Rolex stipulation :)). WOSG would probably rather save the cost of an SA and send you an email to read.

Don't bother asking the store for updates because stock is centralised and they know as much as you.

Like Argos.
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote