The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 September 2020, 06:51 AM   #1
simonthepilot
"TRF" Member

Cool new feature of Rolex new warranty card!

I was lucky enough to be able to buy a Submariner 114060 with the new style warranty card a weeks ago.

Due to lots of work and a busy private schedule it was not until this evening I had the possibility to play around with the watch, setting the time, admiring the beautiful symmetrical dial and exploring the the new warranty card.

Just by coincidence I put it on my iPhone and suddenly the phone wake up And gave me a notice “Rolex NFC Card”. When I clicked on the linked it opened up the browser and taking me to Rolex.com!

Quite a neat feature!

Cheers!
Old 23 September 2020, 07:03 AM   #2
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonthepilot View Post
I was lucky enough to be able to buy a Submariner 114060 with the new style warranty card a weeks ago.

Due to lots of work and a busy private schedule it was not until this evening I had the possibility to play around with the watch, setting the time, admiring the beautiful symmetrical dial and exploring the the new warranty card.

Just by coincidence I put it on my iPhone and suddenly the phone wake up And gave me a notice “Rolex NFC Card”. When I clicked on the linked it opened up the browser and taking me to Rolex.com!

Quite a neat feature!

Cheers!
I think I'll buy three more watches just for the experience!
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 07:09 AM   #3
Bruce_Wayne
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV Z-Blue
Lol I wonder why they would add this feature...seems useless

Sent from the Waitlist at 6 different ADs
Bruce_Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 07:18 AM   #4
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Quote:

Quite a neat feature!

Cheers!
I didn't know that the customer can use the new warranty card swipe on their iPhone to register at Rolex.com website. I thought that only the boutiques/ADs can do with the iPhone that Rolex provide for them only (not a regular iPhone). The iPhone that Rolex provides need to have special program on it (not just a plain regular iPhone).

So what did you do at the Rolex website for your new warranty card?
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 07:19 AM   #5
superpop
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 and SS SkyD
My Ferragamo wallet does this when I get my phone near it. Freaked me out the first time this popped up on my phone.
superpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 07:29 AM   #6
1Sassy1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Probably tracking you lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1Sassy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 08:14 AM   #7
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Wayne View Post

Well an authentic one would have an NFC chip to lead you to Rolex, a fake one won't, a tiny anti-counterfeit tech maybe.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 09:08 AM   #8
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Well an authentic one would have an NFC chip to lead you to Rolex, a fake one won't, a tiny anti-counterfeit tech maybe.
And I don't mean this will prevent or solve fakes, I just mean it's a little add on among all the other small cues. I think that would be a small complexity that counterfeiters won't add to a fake warranty card.

I'll say this much, if there's an active NFC chip within the card, there must be a lot of info they can store in relation to the purchase of the watch right there on the card. And I bet when you take it to an RSC they are able to interact with it, for what purpose, don't know, this is just speculation based on what an NFC chip can do.
Old 23 September 2020, 09:30 AM   #9
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
And I don't mean this will prevent or solve fakes, I just mean it's a little add on among all the other small cues. I think that would be a small complexity that counterfeiters won't add to a fake warranty card.

I'll say this much, if there's an active NFC chip within the card, there must be a lot of info they can store in relation to the purchase of the watch right there on the card. And I bet when you take it to an RSC they are able to interact with it, for what purpose, don't know, this is just speculation based on what an NFC chip can do.
Most likely it's not an active NFC tag. That'd require power. It's most likely passive. And most likely it's read only at that (as leaving it read-write would allow the customer to rewrite date). Maybe they are shipped read-write and set read only when AD activates them. I don't know that much.

As for this being a counterfeit protection, really? Do you know how easy it is to add NFC tag to something. Cheapest and easiest part of faking a modern Rolex warranty card. That's not something that will stop them or have an effect on them even. I just think replacing magnetic stripe with NFC was easier for them. Any phone has NFC, whereas more and more card terminals don't have magnetic stripes.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 09:36 AM   #10
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Im not too fussed about the counterfeiting issue, I'm more concerned that you hadn't set the time on your new watch for how many days?
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2020, 09:53 AM   #11
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekart View Post
Most likely it's not an active NFC tag. That'd require power. It's most likely passive. And most likely it's read only at that (as leaving it read-write would allow the customer to rewrite date). Maybe they are shipped read-write and set read only when AD activates them. I don't know that much.

As for this being a counterfeit protection, really? Do you know how easy it is to add NFC tag to something. Cheapest and easiest part of faking a modern Rolex warranty card. That's not something that will stop them or have an effect on them even. I just think replacing magnetic stripe with NFC was easier for them. Any phone has NFC, whereas more and more card terminals don't have magnetic stripes.
Fair enough, I'm no expert. Just figured it would be a more difficult step to program an NFC authentically to perform a Rolex specific action. The only real protection for counterfeiting is buying from an AD or one of a handful of trusted sellers.
Old 25 September 2020, 10:10 AM   #12
JodyHighroller
Banned

Cool new feature of Rolex new warranty card!

Noticed this happen on my new BB58 blue warranty card.

JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 11:27 AM   #13
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Maybe my iPhone is too old because I just tried it. Nothing and I tried on my newer Skydweller card.
Old 25 September 2020, 11:56 PM   #14
The Continental
Banned

So exciting.......not quite as thrilling as peeling off stickers but close!!!!
The Continental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 12:17 AM   #15
Handey0465
Banned

Watch: 126711CHNR
Quote:

Quite a neat feature!

Cheers!
Is this something only no-date Sub owner's claim? I've read this same comment multiple times....
Handey0465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 12:27 AM   #16
JodyHighroller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel019 View Post
Maybe my iPhone is too old because I just tried it. Nothing and I tried on my newer Skydweller card.
If you can use Apple Pay, it should work. You have to hold the card near the top of the iPhone by the camera. Same way as you would whenever you’re checking out at store using Apple Pay.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 12:32 AM   #17
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Wayne View Post

Yes totally useless unless you have the Rolex software to go with it so dont know why some think its cool.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 01:29 AM   #18
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Yes totally useless unless you have the Rolex software to go with it so dont know why some think its cool.
its cool because it sure has the capacity to provide more useful functions in the future.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 01:50 AM   #19
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
Noticed this happen on my new BB58 blue warranty card.

Yeah, a counterfeit operation could send your phone to a site where you could be infected with malware or phished for credentials. Not any different than the risk posed by QR code’s all around us...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 01:50 AM   #20
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
its cool because it sure has the capacity to provide more useful functions in the future.
Whatever functions it will have in the future will be on Rolex side admin only, its just a warranty card like you get with most products today nothing more.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 10:33 AM   #21
samuel019

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
If you can use Apple Pay, it should work. You have to hold the card near the top of the iPhone by the camera. Same way as you would whenever you’re checking out at store using Apple Pay.
Thank you. It worked. Nothing ground breaking :chuckle but it worked
Old 26 September 2020, 11:01 AM   #22
Bladeshot

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
Whatever functions it will have in the future will be on Rolex side admin only, its just a warranty card like you get with most products today nothing more.

Precisely!
Old 26 September 2020, 11:20 AM   #23
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handey0465 View Post
Is this something only no-date Sub owner's claim? I've read this same comment multiple times....
Daytona, Milgauss........

There are plenty of others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 54142401-4361-4AAC-9915-F131A970FE77.jpeg (117.0 KB, 2464 views)
File Type: jpeg 0C3338ED-1231-4C34-93A6-935AF5E65337.jpeg (140.4 KB, 2456 views)

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 07:39 PM   #24
jamescarter2a
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mostly Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handey0465 View Post
As opposed to the asymetrical dial on its Date counterpart
jamescarter2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 09:16 PM   #25
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Good point Padi, yet to be fair NFC tags might be new to some while i started using them ~8 years ago. Heck, how many here have explored AR / VR? There's some cool stuff you can do with NFC tags around the house :)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2023, 07:25 PM   #26
Linuxpenguins
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4k - Sky D
Does it always open the page to default page (ie Datejust) regardless of watch?

Ω Swatch X Omega Mission to Jupiter (SO33C100)
Linuxpenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2023, 08:07 PM   #27
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2023, 03:06 AM   #28
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

I wonder if it can be reprogrammed or edited to track all watch owners, services performed, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2023, 04:49 AM   #29
koronet-kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: deep-sea Comex
When I bought my Explorer 2 last November SA scanned the warranty card with his phone using the Rolex Advisor app, anyone can download the app, but without a password it’s useless, it holds technical details about all the watches, in the good old days there were booklets for SAs called talking points, now all digital, I asked what happens once scanned he confirmed this updated Rolex that the watch had been sold on that date and time from their store, so Rolex can update their archive, no personal details about me as this would breach data protection, He also said in an ideal world it would prompt Rolex to send them another Explorer

Last edited by koronet-kid; 1 March 2023 at 05:35 AM.. Reason: Spelling
koronet-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2023, 09:53 AM   #30
clubrcr
Banned

I don't know what the purpose of this is, but i tried it with my card. I thought is was pretty cool.
clubrcr is offline   Reply With Quote