The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 November 2020, 02:55 AM   #1
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
OP41 Silver review and comparison with Tissot Gentleman Powermatic 80 Silicium

After just about 2 months on the waitlist I got my OP41 Silver Dial Saturday.

I was told I was their first Silver Dial customer which was a little surprising.

I've worn it for a couple of days and I've got some initial impressions but first a spec battle.

Rolex:
$5,900
136.5 grams
11.4 mm thickness
39.5 mm case diameter
20 mm bracelet with taper
47 mm lug to lug
Crownclasp with Easylink
+2 seconds a day
70 hour power reserve
28,800 bph
100 meter water resistant
Screw down crown
No date complication
Adequate lume and 18k indices/hands
Case is attractive with no beveling and mixed finishing
Very small crown with solid feeling action

Tissot:
$775
154.1 grams
11.5 mm thickness
40.1 mm case diameter
21 mm bracelet without taper
48.6 mm lug to lug
Double deployant clasp with no adjustment
+2 seconds a day
80 hour power reserve
21,600 bph
100 meter water resistant
No screw down crown
Date complication
Adequate lume and steel indices/hands
Case is attractive with polished bevels and mixed finishing
Medium sized crown with average feel

First impressions:

My first thought was that it was smaller than expected, fancier looking than expected, more dainty feeling/lighter than expected and the small crown was a little surprising. In the past I considered 34 and 39mm OP's but figured the 41 would be more to my liking. I am glad I did not go with a smaller piece. This is as small as I'd go with a full 7.5 inch wrist. I'd have preferred a full 41mm case and dial.

Putting the watch on felt okay but I had to use the full bracelet with the Easylink set to maximum length for it to fit at all. It's still a little tight. I'll use that as motivation to lose some weight. I am surprised that I have to set everything at maximum and consider buying an extra link for my only slightly larger than average wrist size. Seems a little cheap on Rolex's part. They should have included 1 extra link with all watches I think, or have them readily available at AD's for free with purchase. Just seems weird to buy the watch and not be able to size it correctly in the AD without having to order other parts and such.

Watch is comfortable on the wrist. I like the lightness and thinness of the case. The 20mm bracelet feels fine compared to the 21mm bracelet I'm used to. The Rolex bracelet has more taper and that seems to feel better as well. Bracelet feels well made and didn't pull hair like the Tissot did at first. Feels more well made than the Tissot but not by a mile. I'm still getting used to the Crownclasp. I think I prefer the double deployant buttons and hidden clasp though.

The dials on both are fine. I prefer no date. The Rolex seems a little higher quality for dials and indices/hands. I don't hate the double batons but don't like them either. I'd prefer to have single batons if I had the choice but it's not a big deal. It does make the time more legible. It's essentially set up like a 3-6-9 Explorer. If you like the Explorer you'd like the double batons.

The "Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified" text is dumb. Looks fine otherwise.

Crown feels strong and well engineered. Crown is way too small though. I was shocked by how small it is. I have medium/large hands and it's a challenge using the crown.

It's made me want to find another daily wear sports watch like a Grand Seiko GMT/diver or something that's larger, and feels more masculine and tough. I think the OP41 would look great on a strap as a dress watch. It also makes me appreciate lightness for comfort and makes me think a well made titanium sports watch would be excellent. I also have the updated Milgauss and Explorer on my radar for the coming years as a sports watch partner in the collection.

I'm keeping track of the Rolex accuracy and testing different night time resting methods. I'll report back with results. So far it actually has identical accuracy to my Tissot where it gains about +2 seconds at rest over night then loses about 2 seconds during the day while worn.

All of this leads me to my overall impression that the OP41 is a dress watch. It's dainty, pretty, small, elegant, highly polished, lots of curves and feels special. I was expecting a little more ruggedness and "entry-level tough tool" feeling. But this is really a large ladies watch. I know people don't want to hear that but it's true. It's a feminine dress piece that's sort of blurring the lines with a men's watch; just my opinion. The Tissot feels much more manly, tool-like and tough.
thenewrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 03:00 AM   #2
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Old 9 November 2020, 03:09 AM   #3
AD337
"TRF" Member

Great review comparisons- straight to the point I like your style

So you and I share the same wrist size, and I’m glad you mentioned this. I’m waiting on my OP41 and expecting it very soon at this point.! Tomorrow, I’m going to go in and order an extra link to have it on hand for when my watch arrives incase I need it ..

My new submariner fits awesomely with no link removed and glidelock alittle more than halfway tightened.. if you hadn’t caught the thread around here the other day last week we concluded around here that the new subs do indeed come one less full link from Factory as compared to my hulk (or any 116610 for that matter) .. not to thread jack, just figured You’d find that bit of info interesting !
AD337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 03:17 AM   #4
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD337 View Post
Great review comparisons- straight to the point I like your style

So you and I share the same wrist size, and I’m glad you mentioned this. I’m waiting on my OP41 and expecting it very soon at this point.! Tomorrow, I’m going to go in and order an extra link to have it on hand for when my watch arrives incase I need it ..

My new submariner fits awesomely with no link removed and glidelock alittle more than halfway tightened.. if you hadn’t caught the thread around here the other day last week we concluded around here that the new subs do indeed come one less full link from Factory as compared to my hulk (or any 116610 for that matter) .. not to thread jack, just figured You’d find that bit of info interesting !
It seems like Rolex is doing some cost cutting on bracelets which seems bizarre with how strong demand is and how cheap bracelets really are to make.

I also noticed the OP41 doesn't sit perfectly flat on the wrist. It leans slightly towards the shoulder side of my arm. This seems to be due to the case being a little small/bubble back/it being too tight. My arm is also shaped with a strong taper towards the wrist and that contributes. I imagine my arm is probably thicker and more tapered than most folks especially those with thin arms where there isn't a huge difference between the forearm and wrist.

My biggest critiques are that they should have included an extra link, made the crown larger, single batons not double, and make it a true 41mm case and not a 39.5. I really don't understand why Rolex is specifically calling models by their case mm size, and the case mm size not being accurate. That seems like a very Alibaba $15 watch thing to do. Seems bizarre for Rolex to get things so obviously wrong.
Old 9 November 2020, 03:23 AM   #5
goliat
"TRF" Member

Congrats and thanks for the honest review! I’m expecting mine to arrive around January.
goliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 03:26 AM   #6
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae

Good review. If it had a 369 dial I’d be all over them. I think the 369 makes it a little more sporty. I’ll likely be passing on this model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 November 2020, 03:34 AM   #7
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
Good review. If it had a 369 dial I’d be all over them. I think the 369 makes it a little more sporty. I’ll likely be passing on this model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it had the 3-6-9 dial it would be an Explorer. AFAIK that's the main difference between the two other than the Explorer's old movement. I believe the Explorer is supposed to be an OP with a larger case and 3-6-9 indices for better legibility.

We're just in an awkward space where the OP41 has sort of jumped ahead of the Explorer in size and tech. This makes me believe we will see an Explorer model update sooner rather than later. I'm expecting an Explorer update reveal in the Spring at Rolex's new event. Expecting a 40.5mm case size update to match the Submariner with the new 3230 movement and traditional black dial with 3-6-9 layout with a switch to the 21mm bracelet.
Old 9 November 2020, 03:42 AM   #8
campfire
"TRF" Member

Congratulations.
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 03:46 AM   #9
Tikandtokalot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BB41 M79540
Should have bought or compared a Black Bay 41.
Not so feminine.
Tikandtokalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 03:49 AM   #10
london_v
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. So do you think you’ll keep it? I’m on the fence with the new OP range for your exact reasons... I’m not really sure what type of watch it’s trying to be.
london_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 03:51 AM   #11
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by london_v View Post
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. So do you think you’ll keep it? I’m on the fence with the new OP range for your exact reasons... I’m not really sure what type of watch it’s trying to be.
I'll keep it for sure. It'll be my daily wear until I get a true sports watch. Then I may put this one on a strap and make it my dress watch and then I'll have the solid 2 watch collection.

The Tissot I may sell or give away. I haven't decided yet. It's a great watch and punches way above its weight class. I have a feeling it's going to be more accurate and reliable than the OP too but I'll keep track of the accuracy over time.
Old 9 November 2020, 03:56 AM   #12
winst
"TRF" Member

Let’s see you post a lume shot of the two of them, I bet the Tissot is less than impressive at that. I have a Tissot Couturier Automatic Day Date as a nice but wouldn’t matter if I lost it when I go out drinking with my mates and the lume on that is terrible. Tissot are great value for the money though.
winst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 04:13 AM   #13
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

There's more lume overall with the Rolex because of the indices are lume filled. But I wouldn't really say it's any better. Maybe a little. I'll have to try it out more. I was super happy with the Tissot lume. I could charge it with a flash light then go walk for 45 minutes in the dark and it would be easily legible. Also it seemed like it never went completely dark. Even without charging it seemed like I could always read it in the dark. I'm sure the Rolex is just as good or better.

Old 9 November 2020, 04:15 AM   #14
goliat
"TRF" Member

Looks incredible! Something about that dial just pops so well.
Old 9 November 2020, 04:24 AM   #15
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I like this new OP. I appreciate that you gave a thorough and honest assessment. It kind of sounds like you aren’t in love with it. If you don’t bond more with it over the next few months, I’d consider making a trade to get what you want now and then revisit the dress watch issue later. Not sure if I’d actually do it or implying you should, but the thought would run through my mind.

Nice Tissot.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 04:41 AM   #16
Slyy
"TRF" Member

I actually prefer the smaller crown because it doesn't visually distract you when looking at the watch. It's just there to do its function. Linked with the clean crystal (lack of cyclops) and great proportions, I think the smaller crown makes the watch very balanced.
Slyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 04:54 AM   #17
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

When I was buying the watch a man walked in with a broken Rolex from about 40-50 years ago. Funny thing was his dial was almost the same as mine. It was coincidental and clear that the Silver Dial OP41 is a throwback vintage look. I think it has a classy, "grandpas" watch that'll look good forever type of look.

I'm a critical person in general. I can find flaws in anything and ways to improve it. I think it's quite nice overall though. Feels fancy and special. I was just expecting more of a tough/entry level tool watch feel. I think the OP41 lineup is just more of an oversized ladies watch. Or youthful/gender neutral feel. I dig it. It just doesn't quite make me feel like I'd be mountain biking or diving or chopping wood with it. I can appreciate small and dainty as well.

I'm really thinking an updated Explorer or Milgauss could be really cool. I do very much want to try a Jubilee bracelet model. A little frustrating you can't just get whatever bracelet you want easily.
Old 9 November 2020, 04:57 AM   #18
goliat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
When I was buying the watch a man walked in with a broken Rolex from about 40-50 years ago. Funny thing was his dial was almost the same as mine. It was coincidental and clear that the Silver Dial OP41 is a throwback vintage look. I think it has a classy, "grandpas" watch that'll look good forever type of look.

I'm a critical person in general. I can find flaws in anything and ways to improve it. I think it's quite nice overall though. Feels fancy and special. I was just expecting more of a tough/entry level tool watch feel. I think the OP41 lineup is just more of an oversized ladies watch. Or youthful/gender neutral feel. I dig it. It just doesn't quite make me feel like I'd be mountain biking or diving or chopping wood with it. I can appreciate small and dainty as well.

I'm really thinking an updated Explorer or Milgauss could be really cool. I do very much want to try a Jubilee bracelet model. A little frustrating you can't just get whatever bracelet you want easily.
I’d also go for an updated Milgauss in a heartbeat.. currently I can’t justify myself to get one because of the dated movement, Faraday cage design and the subsequent chunkiness.
Old 9 November 2020, 05:49 AM   #19
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goliat View Post
I’d also go for an updated Milgauss in a heartbeat.. currently I can’t justify myself to get one because of the dated movement, Faraday cage design and the subsequent chunkiness.
I love the dial and the green crystals and orange accents. If they can keep that and put in an updated case/bracelet/movement package I'd be all about it.
Old 9 November 2020, 06:01 AM   #20
goliat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I love the dial and the green crystals and orange accents. If they can keep that and put in an updated case/bracelet/movement package I'd be all about it.
Indeed - the color combination is the coolest stuff Rolex is currently producing. The PCLs don’t really fit with the design IMHO, but I could probably live with them if everything else was perfect
Old 9 November 2020, 06:01 AM   #21
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Great review and silver dial is little feminine looking. On the other hand , Tissot Gentleman is the prefect watch I recommend for anyone looking for daily office wear around $500. It has 80 hours of power reserve and with Swiss movement and good build., it far exceeds its price point!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 06:43 AM   #22
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
Great review and silver dial is little feminine looking. On the other hand , Tissot Gentleman is the prefect watch I recommend for anyone looking for daily office wear around $500. It has 80 hours of power reserve and with Swiss movement and good build., it far exceeds its price point!
Thanks and I agree.
Old 9 November 2020, 09:49 AM   #23
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

I can answer any questions anyone has as well.
Old 9 November 2020, 09:58 AM   #24
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Combining elements from the OP's posts..

Quote:

All of this leads me to my overall impression that the OP41 is a dress watch. It's dainty, pretty, small, elegant, highly polished, lots of curves and feels special. I was expecting a little more ruggedness and "entry-level tough tool" feeling. But this is really a large ladies watch. I know people don't want to hear that but it's true. It's a feminine dress piece that's sort of blurring the lines with a men's watch; just my opinion. The Tissot feels much more manly, tool-like and tough.

You're right, people don't want to hear this. Why because it's not true. Maybe if you are used to Invicta size watches. They call 44mm a woman's watch. In truth your photo from the top down and down the wrist makes it look about perfect for your wrist.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 10:07 AM   #25
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Combining elements from the OP's posts..

You're right, people don't want to hear this. Why because it's not true. Maybe if you are used to Invicta size watches. They call 44mm a woman's watch. In truth your photo from the top down and down the wrist makes it look about perfect for your wrist.
It's not too small. But I'd say it's smaller than average. It's a good size for a dress watch but I'd like bigger for an everyday/sports model. If it were actually 41mm it would be just right.
Old 9 November 2020, 10:18 AM   #26
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It's not too small. But I'd say it's smaller than average. It's a good size for a dress watch but I'd like bigger for an everyday/sports model. If it were actually 41mm it would be just right.
Hardly dainty; it's not a Sub or MNT which have oversized bezels which bulk them up. Let's agree to disagree. It fits my less girthy wrist perfectly.

Old 9 November 2020, 10:46 AM   #27
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hardly dainty; it's not a Sub or MNT which have oversized bezels which bulk them up. Let's agree to disagree. It fits my less girthy wrist perfectly.
I suppose the sizing isn't as much of an issue as the overall design and purpose. It just feels like they took a watch designed to be a 28mm ladies watch and pumped it up to 39.5mm. And that's okay.
Old 9 November 2020, 09:33 PM   #28
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Quote:
Hardly dainty; it's not a Sub or GMT which have oversized bezels which bulk them up. Let's agree to disagree. It fits my less girthy wrist perfectly.
I suppose the sizing isn't as much of an issue as the overall design and purpose. It just feels like they took a watch designed to be a 28mm ladies watch and pumped it up to 39.5mm. And that's okay.
Actually, it's the opposite. The Oyster and OP are the basis of all Rolex watches worn today. The Sub is little more than an OP with a bezel. Sure the thickness of the watch for the dive watches (and now diameters) has changed over the years but they all started from these two models and have diverged over time. It's history and not the reverse that you mentioned above.

Old 10 November 2020, 01:12 AM   #29
Rick_Nashville
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
After just about 2 months on the waitlist I got my OP41 Silver Dial Saturday. I was told I was their first Silver Dial customer which was a little surprising. I've worn it for a couple of days and I've got some initial impressions but first a spec battle.
Thanks for the review. When the new releases were first announced in September, the silver OP41 (along with the Sub41 ND) were my favorites. I've loved the simplicity of the OP line for several years now, and like you I wasn't initially thrilled with the double-sticks, but I've been wearing my Omega SMP 2220.80 lately, and the double sticks (at 12) look pretty phenomenal on it! So, I've become an OP41 'double sticks' convert, lol. I also think the beauty of the silver dial OP41 is difficult to capture; but I'm still a fan and would really like to see one in person.

I do agree with you 100% on fitment issues. With the exception of the glide-lock models, I almost always need an extra link in my Rolex purchases. In the real world, not everyone has 6.5" wrists, lol. Luckily, my sales guy always provides me with a free extra link, and moves the inside-clasp micro-adjustment to the loosest position. In cooler weather, I can always close the easy-link, but during the hot weather I greatly appreciate the extra bracelet length. It's funny, all my Tudor watches come with 13 links from the factory, thus assuring a perfect fit every time! This should be a standard across the industry. Thanks again for the review, and the photos!

-Rick.
Rick_Nashville is offline   Reply With Quote