The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 18 February 2021, 06:37 AM   #1
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Chopard Alpine Eagle

I searched and did not find any discussion of this watch on the forums and I found more additional information on it recently that was very well done, so I thought I would share and get the convo going.

A couple things to get out of the way:

- I did not love this watch when it was first released, but after revisiting recently, it has really really grown on me.

- I do think the integrated bracelet sports watch with the blue dial is getting saturated...but I still love the integrated bracelet and recently can't visually take non-integrated bracelets visually...just put rubber or leather on it already. The silver dial available on this one has so many different colors in it and looks perfect to my eye.

- I think it is just a high quality watch that will be super comfortable, tough, is thin, budget friendly (vs Royal Oak) and checks a lot of boxes. Other then finish movement, it compares very well to the Overseas and has more to it then the GP or other options that are even cheaper.

Is it starting to grow on anyone else?

A couple very in depth articles:

https://www.escapementmagazine.com/a...part-one.html/

https://www.escapementmagazine.com/a...part-two.html/

Thanks!
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2021, 07:52 AM   #2
kelv_w
"TRF" Member

I may be the minority but I do like the Alpine Eagle. It looks much better in the hand and wears really well tbh. The finishing is fantastic especially the dial but personally I'm not that keen on the movement, it looks a bit bland.

I'm quite surprised how nice it is after trying it on and it wears elegantly. It doesn't feel like a chunky RO and despite it being 41mm, it feels a lot smaller and wraps around the wrist. Would I get it? I wouldn't mind if the price is right but not at RRP.
kelv_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2021, 11:30 AM   #3
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I liked it when it was released and probably like it more now. But I don’t think it’s for me.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2021, 12:24 PM   #4
kunlun
"TRF" Member

There have been a couple of owners posting here and they've loved it. Seems like a homerun for Chopard.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2021, 04:14 PM   #5
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

For what it’s worth, I tried the watch in person and it’s gorgeous. I don’t subscribe to the point of view that every non-round integrated bracelet watch is a copy of Royal Oak/Nautilus. I found the movement less-than-adequately finished for the price. Other than that, it’s stunning. However, I will wait for a 25% discount opportunity.
AlyRba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2021, 06:29 PM   #6
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

Of course it is just following the current trend, but I think it's a pretty strong design overall. I don't think they should have included a date though, and especially not at 4 o'clock.
Largoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2021, 08:17 PM   #7
ts3
"TRF" Member

I don't like the Alpine Eagle and would certainly not want one. Quite a mess rather than a pretty watch in my eyes. The bezel, the dial, the date positioning... and it doesn't come together nicely IMHO.

I'd rather get a Laureato. Less edgy but also more pleasing. Even better, a Streamliner which is one of the very few recent sports watch designs that are innovative, original and well done.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 03:04 AM   #8
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
I don't like the Alpine Eagle and would certainly not want one. Quite a mess rather than a pretty watch in my eyes. The bezel, the dial, the date positioning... and it doesn't come together nicely IMHO.

I'd rather get a Laureato. Less edgy but also more pleasing. Even better, a Streamliner which is one of the very few recent sports watch designs that are innovative, original and well done.
I mean....the Steamliner isn't close to the same price point...might as well buy a RO or Aquanaut at that price point.

As for the Laureato...I personally don't find it attractive at all and kind of cheap looking...especially such an extreme taper on the bracelet, but that is what is fun about watches...different strokes.
Old 19 February 2021, 07:08 AM   #9
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
I mean....the Steamliner isn't close to the same price point...might as well buy a RO or Aquanaut at that price point.

As for the Laureato...I personally don't find it attractive at all and kind of cheap looking...especially such an extreme taper on the bracelet, but that is what is fun about watches...different strokes.
I agree. Moser Streamliner and Czapek Antarticque are comparable to Royal Oak, Nautilus, Aquanaut, Overseas, and Odysseus. Whereas Alpine Eagle competes with Polo S and Laureato.

Of all the $10K~ priced integrated bracelet offerings, my choice is Chopard Alpine Eagle easily. There is some compromise on movement finishing but the bracelet and dial make the overall package very appealing. It looks and feels like a $10k+ sport watch. On the other hand, I found the Laureato over priced in person and more like a Polo S in terms of bracelet and case finishing.

If the market had received the Alpine Eagle more enthusiastically, I would have gladly paid the retail or 5-10% discount of MSRP. Right now I would try to get a decent discount upfront if you have plans to trade it later.
AlyRba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 08:01 AM   #10
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post

Good luck when it comes to getting an Aquanaut at the price point of the Streamliner. The latter will set you back EUR 19k MSRP (vs close to EUR 13k for the Alpine Eagle, cheaper yes but in the same league in my book). In contrast, you'd likely have to pony up EUR 40k for a basic new 5167A on the grey market.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 06:48 PM   #11
Exiztence
"TRF" Member

I will be tooting my own horn but to me Alpine Eagle, Polo S and Laureato look to be as if the designer started with Royal Oak / Nautilus and made enough changes so it would look enough different and look / inspiration-wise are in same box as ML Aikon (not commenting on finish/movement pedigree). I bought Octo Finissimo because I felt like spending 10 grand on hommage to Royal Oak / Nautilus in form of one of above was silly when I could grab original design with one of thinnest automatic movements, in one of thinnest cases produced.
Exiztence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2021, 06:45 AM   #12
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiztence View Post
I will be tooting my own horn but to me Alpine Eagle, Polo S and Laureato look to be as if the designer started with Royal Oak / Nautilus and made enough changes so it would look enough different and look / inspiration-wise are in same box as ML Aikon (not commenting on finish/movement pedigree). I bought Octo Finissimo because I felt like spending 10 grand on hommage to Royal Oak / Nautilus in form of one of above was silly when I could grab original design with one of thinnest automatic movements, in one of thinnest cases produced.
The Finissimo is wonderful and is IMHO the second choice in this genre and $10K price point. The Polo and Laureto just don't do it for me...so it is between the Alpine Eagle and Finissimo for me.

However, for my purposes, I just don't think the Finissimo works. I work from home with some office visits once a week and some client meetings...but they are casual enough that I literally wear my ski pants to the meeting to get some laps in before or after.

For me, this is a sports watch for all but rough activities. I will be wearing it during office hours and evenings with two kids. Sneaking in fishing or skiing during lunch, cooking dinners, hot tubing, dinners, apres, etc. When I "dress up" it is putting on jeans and a collared shirt.
Old 20 February 2021, 07:49 AM   #13
Exiztence
"TRF" Member

Are you sure you would not prefer a Rolex for these cases? This way or other they do have most rugged movements, personally I would be hesitant to take a Finissimo or Alpine Eagle to activities like that. Both Finissimo and Alpine Eagle would feel too much like jewellery to me to subject them to shocks from sports. I wear Octo with sweats or jeans and last time I had shirt on was somebody's wedding :>
Exiztence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2021, 08:15 AM   #14
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiztence View Post
Are you sure you would not prefer a Rolex for these cases? This way or other they do have most rugged movements, personally I would be hesitant to take a Finissimo or Alpine Eagle to activities like that. Both Finissimo and Alpine Eagle would feel too much like jewellery to me to subject them to shocks from sports. I wear Octo with sweats or jeans and last time I had shirt on was somebody's wedding :>
Well...I can't even get a Rolex and the grey market is overly inflated...so it would just be a waste of money. Plus, everyone and their mother has a Rolex. Lastly...I just can't un-see non-integrated bracelets. It is either integrated or rubber for me.

The movement in the Chopard seems plenty rugged to me and the Schuefele family are pretty big skiers...which is the harshest of the activities I listed (assuming 100M water resistance). I do agree on the Finissimo, which is why I feel it doesn't really fit into what I am looking for.