The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 6 April 2021, 11:40 AM   #31
Fchernyak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
For God's sake, you seem like such a whiner. This isn't about a shortage of infant formula in the third world, it an effing luxury watch, and you have a nice collection - quit complaining.

Lmao guy who’s whining? Just stating my observations. Please, negative comments keep to yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6 April 2021, 11:40 AM   #32
ChugachEagle
"TRF" Member

I actually enjoy the hunt. I wear all of my watches, steel and precious metal. I’m careful of them, they are luxury goods after all, I have a conscious wrist awareness at all times, but minor wear and tear is expected and doesn’t bother me at all. If I sustained major damage to one I would have it repaired just like I would my car or my home. No loss of fun here. In fact if anyone could walk into the AD and buy any reference they wanted any time I would probably switch brands. Having at least some hard to find models adds to the fun for me. Buy what you like. Wear them. Enjoy them. If Rolex is not your thing, switch to Omega. Lots of other brands.
Old 6 April 2021, 11:45 AM   #33
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Some people collect baseball cards or stamps or coins or artist memorabilia or watches because they enjoy it. Some make those hobbies their business by buying, trading, and selling for a profit. The massive increase in demand for Rolex increases the opportunity to profit — resulting in more of the latter entering the hobby (or business).
Old 6 April 2021, 11:46 AM   #34
Bbiddy
"TRF" Member

There are plenty of great watches outside of Rolex. Rolex, Patek and AP (sports watches) have become status symbols more than anything else and as such, have massively inflated market values purely based on brand premium. Fortunately there are plenty of other great brands/watches that haven’t become a luxury status symbol to the extent of the aforementioned. I suggest you expand your horizons.
Old 6 April 2021, 11:50 AM   #35
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
For God's sake, you seem like such a whiner. This isn't about a shortage of infant formula in the third world, it an effing luxury watch, and you have a nice collection - quit complaining.
I have to agree with this. I bought all of mine at or below retail, and that includes Hulk, D500, GMT. Never bought with the intention of selling or making any money off of, but now on one hand it's difficult to get certain pieces, and on the other hand the pieces I have are worth way more than I paid. I can't complain because I'm not allowed to have my cake and eat it too. It just makes me enjoy what I do have even more. And if somebody hasn't acquired the hyped stuff, pre-hype, maybe they are part of the hype?
Old 6 April 2021, 12:05 PM   #36
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fchernyak View Post
Blvgari and Cartier really doing great things !! Octo finissimo and new santos line are beautiful!

Check out the Octo GMT. Coming in steel this summer. It has the perimeter platinum rotor which is technically speaking off the frickin chain.
Old 6 April 2021, 12:14 PM   #37
ttomczak
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: The Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
Quite a Catch-22.

Meanwhile, just get one of these to wear day-to-day, care free
Sorta what I did...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C312F530-9F5B-411E-9333-F24B45F53E5A.jpeg (82.6 KB, 257 views)

If you wind it, it tells pretty good time
(Paul Newman)
Old 6 April 2021, 12:17 PM   #38
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
I buy Tudors and rolex. I'll keep buying them.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 6 April 2021, 12:22 PM   #39
jagwap
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC IW389001
I have to agree with the OP. I have given up on buying a Rolex. I used to be very regular here on this forum, as not only did I like and own Rolex, it is a great way to past time with other friendly enthusiasts. However I don't bother so much any more. Mostly because I cannot get any of the pieces I want. I have been seriously interested in at least 5 pieces since the scarcity started, and I have never seen one in person. Looking back on what I have spent on other brands since then I think I would have bought two. Not a big spender maybe, but a regular returner, if I could. The other reason is that this forum is getting less fun. A few big spenders getting the restricted pieces, others being gouged by grey dealers, and the rest like me still moaning.

I came back here to see what may be coming out for W&W, and almost everything is unchanged. I guess I will watch the chat on the new Explorer and the other releases, but then wander off and enjoy other brands that want to sell to me.

Have fun.
Old 6 April 2021, 12:32 PM   #40
jankymutt

Quote:
It’s not that I’m upset about it but I sometimes feel like I dont “need” to wear them and am probably better off leaving them mint. Which basically just sucks the joy out of wearing them. It might just be a phase. Going to wear my Apple Watch til I start missing them

I completely agree with you. I still enjoy perusing this forum a couple times a week but I realize I will probably never get a SS Daytona/BLRO at retail. I have found enjoyment out of Omega and some micro brands. It's a bit of a bummer, but they are just watches!
Old 6 April 2021, 12:34 PM   #41
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

I don’t think flipping a watch and being an enthusiast are mutually exclusive. I have only flipped one watch in order to get into another watch that I liked better. And guess what, I’d do it again. It’s what makes the hobby fun for some people... Different strokes.
Old 6 April 2021, 12:39 PM   #42
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
This site used to be full of hobbyists and students of the Rolex brand and horology in general.

Now, it cannot be denied that an awful lot of those people have left and gone somewhere else or nowhere at all.

It seems to me that these days, the boards are full of those who are interested only in speculation and actually scoff at the idea that someone would actually give a flying flip about the brand, its history, its contribution to horology and its future.

Who has time for such silliness when you can double your money selling your brand-new acquisition to another person with dollar signs in his eyes.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
Old 6 April 2021, 12:39 PM   #43
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
Some people collect baseball cards or stamps or coins or artist memorabilia or watches because they enjoy it. Some make those hobbies their business by buying, trading, and selling for a profit. The massive increase in demand for Rolex increases the opportunity to profit — resulting in more of the latter entering the hobby (or business).
+1!
A great explanation of the current state of watch collecting. Those who whine about any mention of prices need to realize its a new world with a new generation of collectors/buyers and the insane increases in prices makes not talking about it impossible with some models such as the Daytona. I buy my watches to enjoy but the pricing and availability insanity is now whether we like it or not part of the equation.

I'm sad because you can no longer watch shop, you can go to any AD or Boutique of AP PP RM and you can wish list shop by staring at empty watch slots and informing your SA to put that particular empty slot where such and such model should be on your wish list. And while you're wishing you can have the same conversation about how crazy it is that there are no watches and its ridiculously hard to get what you want.
Old 6 April 2021, 12:42 PM   #44
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post
This.

People are free to enjoy their watches any way they want, even if all they enjoy is the hype or ‘investment potential’ of ownership.

Anyone who gets too upset about it should just find another hobby.

Well said. So many things to be interested in. Just find a couple. If not watches, find something else.

I’ve been collecting watches for ~30 years and it’s never been a more exciting time to do so in my view and I’ve never enjoyed it more. So many people all over the world doing this; an amazing forum like this with so much information and perspectives, so many different brands. Hodinkee. I mean, cmon This is cool!

Old 6 April 2021, 12:45 PM   #45
Goonthree
"TRF" Member

I feel the same. One feels accomplishment scoring 116500, 116506 etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddyspaghetti View Post
The hype is my enjoyment. I enjoy the chase. Without it, rolex would be boring for me. Great watch still but boring.
Old 6 April 2021, 12:45 PM   #46
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by S’portEye View Post
I don’t think flipping a watch and being an enthusiast are mutually exclusive. I have only flipped one watch in order to get into another watch that I liked better. And guess what, I’d do it again. It’s what makes the hobby fun for some people... Different strokes.
What you're describing has always been part of the hobby for very many enthusiasts, although I don't happen to be that kind of hobbyist.

The trends we're talking about now have nothing to do with pursuing a hobby or building a collection.

It's about making a profit as quickly as possible.

It's not illegal, but it's just not how most of us started and certainly not where we expected to end up.

Let the feeding frenzy continue. The true enthusiasts will find other interests.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
Old 6 April 2021, 12:50 PM   #47
Francist
Banned

Watch: 116500LN
The one 1 thing that’s really sad is that few years ago I could celebrate milestones in life,
Walking into a Rolex AD, browse their collections & purchase 1.
I think many (if not most) people get into watches because of this.
Nowadays you get laughed at in Rolex AD. Or in the rare cases they turn u down politely.
I wonder what it’ll do to the brand name longterm.
Old 6 April 2021, 12:55 PM   #48
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddyspaghetti View Post
The hype is my enjoyment. I enjoy the chase. Without it, rolex would be boring for me. Great watch still but boring.
Whatever floats your boat.
Old 6 April 2021, 01:20 PM   #49
cuibono
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS SkyD
Quote:
I’ve been a fan of watches since the first time I seen my grandparents buy themselves their first rolexes about 25 years ago. My grandfather bought a two tone Daytona black dial (zenith movement) and my grandmother bought a ladies masterpiece. I was about 8 years old at the time. I was obsessed with watches ever since. The next day they bought me the Casio watch that had the number pad on it (don’t remember the model). I would play with that watch day and night. From their moved up to a fossil, then to tag heuer link bracelet and then on my 16th bday they bought me my first sub (16610ln). I wore that for 14 years! Never polished or serviced and worked just as good as the day I got it. Fast forward to today I am surrounded by people who are trying to buy these watches to flip them. Luckily I have a decent relationship with my AD and have built a decent collection over the years so I never had to pay crazy premiums. But anytime I’d step out and talk to guys my age about watches it’s always about flipping them. About profiting off of them. I never considered watches as investments. The last 4 years or so have really changed what watches are all about. I sometimes feel bad wearing some of my watches like the subs or exp ii polar or dssd jc amongst a few others because of the value that they hold. I’m not a rich man and am sometimes tempted to sell to make a fairly substantial profit. It’s nice to know that money doesn’t go down the drain but it’s also very tempting to take the profit. Or at the very least keep them mint and sell later. Even here on the forums it’s mostly questions like which watch should I buy as an investment or not lose money. Instead of buying what you like, they buy into the hype and make
It harder for the actual watch fans to get their watches. Weird time, just my two cents. Thanks for reading

I echo your feelings. I've been into watches for as long as I can remember. Embarrassed to say that it all probably started on Canal street when I was still a teenager. Picked up a Patek, a Vacheron and an Omega knockoff - I had no real idea about the brands, their history. I just liked their design language, colors, functions etc.

Fast forward a few years and following my first undergrad, I bought a two tone Seiko Kenetic (20 years ago or so) that I still have to this day. I was gifted a nice Tag Link to commemorate / celebrate my masters, I was gifted an Omega by my wife for our wedding, I picked up a Rolex Skydweller to celebrate some private sector wins and a Cartier to celebrate a promotion.

Bagged another promotion last year after 2 hard years and really wanted a bluesy to celebrate. Hasn't happened, mostly because of speculators and all that BS that gets regurgitated on a daily basis here. It sucks, the enjoyment for Rolex is mostly gone. ADs cases are empty or if you believe the conspiracy theories the good stuff is hidden. I hope that Rolex know that they are turning off a lot of real watch enthusiasts and that we are not necessarily coming back if/when the IG influencers move on to other products to flaunt / pump. It's definitely made me rethink how and where I spend my money.

In case you're wondering, seriously looking at Mosers and Breguets or perhaps a Speedmaster FOIS or the new goldish Omega 300.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Old 6 April 2021, 01:25 PM   #50
J1n
"TRF" Member

At the same time, that same hype is what is bringing tons more people into the market.
Old 6 April 2021, 01:26 PM   #51
ChugachEagle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francist View Post
The one 1 thing that’s really sad is that few years ago I could celebrate milestones in life,
Walking into a Rolex AD, browse their collections & purchase 1.
I think many (if not most) people get into watches because of this.
Nowadays you get laughed at in Rolex AD. Or in the rare cases they turn u down politely.
I wonder what it’ll do to the brand name longterm.
You can still celebrate spontaneous milestones. Just head over to DavidSW.

... or for less spontaneous needs then preorder something... DD’s are nice and can mostly be special ordered. Datejusts can still be special ordered. You just can’t get a few of the hottest rarest pieces at retail. But they are all available aftermarket for a premium.
Old 6 April 2021, 01:31 PM   #52
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
The new reality is hard to swallow. I’m just now getting around to accepting this and I am realizing how thankful I am for the 5 Rolexes I have managed to acquire.
Old 6 April 2021, 01:38 PM   #53
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
One nice thing about the hype train is that it just keeps rolling along. As long as you're patient and not looking for a Daytona, today's hype beast is tomorrow's old news yawn watch.
When will the Pepsi, batman, Hulk, Blue sky dweller, become yawn watches again?.... I know it is frustrating, I can only imagine, but just keep trying to go for it, honestly there is so much fun in the chase. I hope you get the opportunity to purchase some of the references that you so desire.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Closed Thread