The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 23 April 2021, 08:24 AM   #1
tedo
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on Hublot ?

Looking to add something new, similar to photos. Believe priced too high on the retail side, better preowned.

Thoughts welcomed for owners and non-owners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FFD33B22-6E9E-40D7-A86B-2E72F39CEAE6.jpeg (32.6 KB, 561 views)
File Type: jpeg 57877EC5-3A1F-4697-9A0A-692153335D9C.jpeg (38.3 KB, 559 views)
File Type: jpeg 5256561F-F0E1-434C-9719-7F9F92544623.jpeg (43.1 KB, 548 views)
Old 23 April 2021, 11:43 AM   #2
tanask211
"TRF" Member

Not a fan of Hublot watches but heard from my AD that it's gaining popularity typically the younger crowd.

Sent from my RMX2170 using Tapatalk
tanask211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2021, 12:58 PM   #3
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

They aren't very popular anymore. Sometimes good deals floating around. They are the Panerai of 2015
WatchEater666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 01:11 AM   #4
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
If YOU like it and it speaks to YOU then buy it. Hublot is not particularly loved in the WIS community so its whatever makes you happy.
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 01:12 AM   #5
fmc000
Banned

I'm a Hublot big fan, especially the Big Bang line. I'm not a fan of the Unico line with skeleton dial, basically because I don't like skeleton dials in general.

They are great watches, the attention to details is amazing, they have great wrist presence and they are extremely comfortable even for people with small wrists because of the short lugs.

The main drawback (for most people) is that they use ETA/Sellita movements in the BB / CF lines. I don't consider this a problem, though: much easier to service and great reliability.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 01:36 AM   #6
christianj
Banned

I used to own two Hublots earlier in my watch collecting years. Still own one but have planned on selling it but just never got to it. Watch collectors kind of dismiss the brand since they went way too crazy with color combinations and really bizarre decos. Honestly that is what made me move on from the brand because every time they did a new release I thought WTF are they doing. For all the shit they get, we are now seeing a lot of other companies several years later going nuts with color combinations as well (I’m also an AP owner and they need to stop with this as well and even Patek is being criticized for tons of color combinations today). IMHO they are still popular in certain crowds and I think also more popular outside of the US and Western Europe.

To summarize, buy if it speaks to you. I would suggest you try to buy preowned if the model is available.
christianj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 01:36 AM   #7
christianj
Banned

Sorry! Duplicate post deleted.
Old 24 April 2021, 02:36 AM   #8
smg8
Banned

I started a post on Hublot the other day which totally flopped haha. Glad to see someone else considering them!

I have lost all interest in Rolex due to stupid AD games and having to beg shop assistants to allow me to part with my £'s and am exploring options from other brands. I want a chronograph in the £6k - £7k mark and after being a bit uninspired trying on a Speedy and not 100% convinced by the Breitling Chronomat (though it was nice) the latest thing I have eyes on is a Hublot Classic Fusion.

This to me is a great looking watch, with AP vibes but not an AP price tag;

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I don't fully get the hate for Hublot, not that it impacts whether I buy the watch or not.

Common arguments seem to be;

Hublot copied AP - not really for me, yes there are similarities but that's a very different watch to a Royal Oak. Can it not also be argued that AP copied Hublot as Hublot were first to start putting luxury watches on rubber. That argument also doesn't quite wash compared to the love in for the Zenith Chronomaster/Daytona ;-)

Hublot is owned by LVMH - so is Zenith?

Hublot has no history - I don't really know what this one means to be honest, I like the fact a challenger brand started in the 80's has disrupted the establishment. Seems a good success story rather than something to hold against them....

Some don't have an in house movement - meh.

I'd say if you like it go for it! I am off to try some on tomorrow, they seem cool contemporary luxury options and a good alternative to some of the over hyped stuff going at 4 x MSRP
smg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 02:45 AM   #9
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Agreed re: in-house movements being extremely overrated. I would rather have a well finished off the shelf movement than a meh finished "in-house". Especially given how much easier it is to have someone service something like an ETA.

BTW if you like the look of the Hublots, then the Zenith Defy series might be right up your alley.
Old 24 April 2021, 02:47 AM   #10
smg8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
I'm a Hublot big fan, especially the Big Bang line. I'm not a fan of the Unico line with skeleton dial, basically because I don't like skeleton dials in general.

They are great watches, the attention to details is amazing, they have great wrist presence and they are extremely comfortable even for people with small wrists because of the short lugs.

The main drawback (for most people) is that they use ETA/Sellita movements in the BB / CF lines. I don't consider this a problem, though: much easier to service and great reliability.
As someone potentially looking at one and new to the brand too this is good feedback, thanks
Old 24 April 2021, 02:48 AM   #11
smg8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
Agreed re: in-house movements being extremely overrated. I would rather have a well finished off the shelf movement than a meh finished "in-house". Especially given how much easier it is to have someone service something like an ETA.

BTW if you like the look of the Hublots, then the Zenith Defy series might be right up your alley.
I can't even see the movement of my Rolex GMT Master so it doesnt mean that much to me haha

Old 24 April 2021, 03:03 AM   #12
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg8 View Post
I can't even see the movement of my Rolex GMT Master so it doesnt mean that much to me haha

Exactly, not to mention there's nothing really wrong with an ETA or off the shelf movement, especially in the context of no exhibition caseback.
Old 24 April 2021, 03:08 AM   #13
christianj
Banned

@smg8....The Classic Fusion line is definitely a nice less blinged out option and that Chrono has always been one of the nicest options in the line.
Old 24 April 2021, 03:16 AM   #14
Rmoor
"TRF" Member

I own two and they are very nice watches. I have the Big Bang unico ceramic and the Big Bang steel ceramic evolution. They are right up there finish wise with my other watches (AP, Rolex, Zenith). I purchased my unico new for $12,300 and my evolution new for $8k.
Rmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 03:36 AM   #15
tedo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmoor View Post
I own two and they are very nice watches. I have the Big Bang unico ceramic and the Big Bang steel ceramic evolution. They are right up there finish wise with my other watches (AP, Rolex, Zenith). I purchased my unico new for $12,300 and my evolution new for $8k.
Thanks! Is this your UNICO ceramic?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D178843A-A6FD-4751-9D95-5AB8C525E62E.jpeg (84.1 KB, 460 views)
Old 24 April 2021, 04:37 AM   #16
christianj
Banned

@tedo....if you are looking for all black...this was the model I owned and it was my go to travel watch since it didn’t scratch. Not sure if it’s still made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 24 April 2021, 04:48 AM   #17
tedo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianj View Post
@tedo....if you are looking for all black...this was the model I owned and it was my go to travel watch since it didn’t scratch. Not sure if it’s still made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for sending!
Old 24 April 2021, 09:17 AM   #18
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

I think I mentioned it before, I am not a fan of Hublot. On the other hand, I have noticed some inventions in materials used, movement modifications which are promising. I just wish they would do more of that than infinity of limited models. And they are overpriced.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 10:56 AM   #19
Rmoor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedo View Post
Thanks! Is this your UNICO ceramic?
Yes sir that’s it I have the 45mm version. Awesome watch !
Rmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 11:15 AM   #20
tedo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmoor View Post
Yes sir that’s it I have the 45mm version. Awesome watch !
Really nice. I like this one called Meca-10
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 42280671-B01E-4660-806A-15489C9FCD07.jpeg (28.6 KB, 413 views)
Old 24 April 2021, 12:01 PM   #21
bigjack78
"TRF" Member

I just picked up my first recently, a blue ceramic Meca 10. Absolutely love it and I get a lot of compliments. Over priced but who cares, I can afford it.
bigjack78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 12:37 PM   #22
tedo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjack78 View Post
I just picked up my first recently, a blue ceramic Meca 10. Absolutely love it and I get a lot of compliments. Over priced but who cares, I can afford it.
Thanks...have a few photos you can share. What made you choose Meca over Integral or other skeleton models?
Old 24 April 2021, 01:47 PM   #23
Guinness58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 5 Digit
No offense to owners who like them but they hit me as over priced fashion watches for a young crowd.
Guinness58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 01:51 PM   #24
tedo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness58 View Post
No offense to owners who like them but they hit me as over priced fashion watches for a young crowd.

Might have agreed until I did a little research on my own and saw this video: https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/articl...g-bang-meca-10

Quite impressive I think.
Old 24 April 2021, 02:47 PM   #25
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness58 View Post
If you own a Rolex you really can't say this with a straight face.
Old 24 April 2021, 05:25 PM   #26
fmc000
Banned

The watchprosite Hublot subforum is a good place to start.

Inviato dal mio SM-T719 utilizzando Tapatalk
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 05:38 PM   #27
S``
"TRF" Member

Buy pre-owned, great watches...
S`` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 07:45 PM   #28
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
If you own a Rolex you really can't say this with a straight face.
This.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2021, 09:05 PM   #29
smg8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianj View Post
@smg8....The Classic Fusion line is definitely a nice less blinged out option and that Chrono has always been one of the nicest options in the line.
Managed to try one on this morning, really really nice!

The 42mm wears very small, the 45mm wears a bit smaller than I'd expect a 45mm to wear.

It's a nice blend of smart/dressy and lux casual/sporty.
Old 24 April 2021, 09:13 PM   #30
smg8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedo View Post
Might have agreed until I did a little research on my own and saw this video: https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/articl...g-bang-meca-10

Quite impressive I think.
Great link, good read up that.

I think a couple of things spring to mind on the Hublot comments;

1. A watch appealing to younger buyers is seen as a negative of Hublot for some. I couldn't disagree more. If watches ONLY appealed to say 70 year old blokes, what happens to the watch industry in 20 years time when those 70 year old blokes are no longer with us? The fact brands can be creative and innovative and appeal to the younger generation is surely essential for the watch industry to continue. I guess there were some turning their nose up when AP first ventured into SS sports watches in the 70's, look how that panned out If everyone only made 36mm yellow gold on alligator leather watches then the watch industry would be far smaller than it is.

2. There are some who can't afford to drop £30k on an AP or £100k on a Richard Mille, and some who like the AP/RM design/style and don't want to drop £30k on one. A Hublot gets you something with similar design language, but at a much more affordable price point, seems a good niche in the market. It's natural that those in their 20's/30's/40's will have less disposable £'s than those in their 70's/80's, and seems logical that Hublot would therefore attract younger buyers.