The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 13 November 2021, 04:18 PM   #1
abhishekd
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126711CHNR
Icon9 Quality / design issue in Rolesor Oyster bracelets: Gold piece can fall off the clasp

I bought my Root Beer new from an AD about a year ago and have been wearing it as a daily watch everywhere - at the pool / beach etc. A few days ago a gold strip from the clasp just fell off! Luckily I didn't loose the gold strip. I'm a bit shocked that the there is only a thin 0.6mm piece of gold stuck on the clasp of the watch.

This is my first Rolex in Rolesor with an oyster bracelet - I suppose this may be a potential issue with all Rolesor models with Oyster bracelets?

My watch is under warranty and I will send it back. Posting pictures so you all are aware of this design / quality issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Root_Beer_1.jpeg (126.1 KB, 1702 views)
File Type: jpg Root_Beer_2.jpg (249.2 KB, 1702 views)
File Type: jpg Root_Beer_3.jpg (266.1 KB, 1693 views)
File Type: jpeg Root_Beer_4.jpeg (207.5 KB, 1696 views)
Old 13 November 2021, 04:29 PM   #2
kentheevil
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Wow I've never seen such thing before! Hope that'd not happen with the full rg piece i'm planning to get soon. Goodluck with urs and hope there's no charge as this should never happened

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 November 2021, 04:51 PM   #3
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quality / design issue in Rolesor Oyster bracelets: Gold piece can fall off the clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentheevil View Post
Wow I've never seen such thing before! Hope that'd not happen with the full rg piece i'm planning to get soon.

It won’t. Because the full pm piece is machined from a solid block of gold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishekd View Post
This is my first Rolex in Rolesor with an oyster bracelet - I suppose this may be a potential issue with all Rolesor models with Oyster bracelets?

My watch is under warranty and I will send it back. Posting pictures so you all are aware of this design / quality issue.

The clasp of any two tone Rolex regardless oyster or jubilee is primarily 914L steel with the gold portion fused on. It’s the same method they used with older 5 digits TT watches and issues like this have been posted before on TRF with the older TT models

Take a guess what the solution is going to be.
Old 13 November 2021, 04:58 PM   #4
Zyfon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Panerai
Not something you'll see everyday. I've always thought it was solid gold for the middle section. Thanks for sharing this.
Old 13 November 2021, 05:00 PM   #5
khalifam
"TRF" Member

Keep it and sell it. Tell Rolex it fell off*

*I do not condone charity theft

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk
Old 13 November 2021, 05:30 PM   #6
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Wow, pretty tacky

I always assumed that it was actually solid.

Another reason to avoid TT.
Old 13 November 2021, 05:35 PM   #7
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...
I guess I’d never thought about whether the clasp gold portion was solid or not. It’s not a surprise that it’s not really but yeah, to see the strip like that with glue marks is not a great look!
Old 13 November 2021, 05:38 PM   #8
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Wow…sorry that happened, but thanks for posting it. Never seen that before
Old 13 November 2021, 05:40 PM   #9
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
I cannot believe it's just glued like that... disappointing.
Old 13 November 2021, 06:42 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishekd View Post
I bought my Root Beer new from an AD about a year ago and have been wearing it as a daily watch everywhere - at the pool / beach etc. A few days ago a gold strip from the clasp just fell off! Luckily I didn't loose the gold strip. I'm a bit shocked that the there is only a thin 0.6mm piece of gold stuck on the clasp of the watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
I cannot believe it's just glued like that... disappointing.

Well hardly a design issue been around Rolex watches for longer than many on forum have been alive.And ever since the RolesorTT bracelets were first introduced on watches like the sub in 1983, this is only the second one that I have ever seen.Yes it should not happen but sure Rolex will sort it out with out any problems,and its not glued its fused by heat very similar to a spot weld.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 13 November 2021, 08:02 PM   #11
ILikeRolex2021
"TRF" Member

Very disappointing. I always thought the rose gold links were full rose gold, not just gold plated.
Old 13 November 2021, 08:18 PM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeRolex2021 View Post
Very disappointing. I always thought the rose gold links were full rose gold, not just gold plated.
They are not gold plated in any way if gold plated it would be around 4 microns thick, all centre links on all the TT bracelets are sold 18Ct gold. The thin 0.6mm solid 18Ct gold strip on the clasp is fused to the SS clasp, as it would be almost impossible to make a solid clasp from SS and gold.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 13 November 2021, 08:19 PM   #13
Mdotlife
"TRF" Member

Wow, like others I naively thought the block of gold on the clasp was solid with the steel flanks. So it's actually steel with a piece of 0.6mm gold fused on top? Never would have guessed. I might test the local SA's knowledge and see if she knows that. I wonder if anybody has asked her before?
Old 13 November 2021, 08:23 PM   #14
unknown
"TRF" Member

well TBH I'm glad too see this.

I'm sure Rolex will fix it and I'm sorry that it happens to you.

But it's good to see, so people might understand such things can happen to all brands.
Old 13 November 2021, 08:37 PM   #15
Daveh777
"TRF" Member

Ouch! That’s a big surprise. I wonder what specific durability tests were / could be applied to thoroughly test this design (or manufacturing) defect?
Old 13 November 2021, 08:59 PM   #16
Tikandtokalot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BB41 M79540
I'd feel much more ripped off than I expected.
That would be a flip for me.
Old 13 November 2021, 09:05 PM   #17
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I'm so sorry to see disillusionment. In nine years here this is the first I've seen like this.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
Old 13 November 2021, 09:12 PM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikandtokalot View Post
I'd feel much more ripped off than I expected.
That would be a flip for me.
How anyone could think they were being ripped off defeats me, as its not possible to make a solid SS and gold clasp. So a thin strip of solid 18Ct is fused in the solid SS clasp is the only way to do it. Once on the TT subs there was no gold strip as clasp was all just plain SS.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 13 November 2021, 09:19 PM   #19
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
How anyone could think they were being ripped off defeats me, as its not possible to make a solid SS and gold clasp. So a thin strip of solid 18Ct is fused in the solid SS clasp is the only way to do it. Once on the TT subs there was no gold strip as clasp was all just plain SS.
I’m with you here. It’s not a surprise to me. Technically, combining solid 18ct gold and SS in the clasp would just not be worth it. I don’t own any TT but this wouldn’t put me off.
Old 13 November 2021, 09:47 PM   #20
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

It's been reported here before. Happily it doesn't happen often, so if properly repaired it is unlikely to happen again.
Old 13 November 2021, 10:09 PM   #21
Tikandtokalot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BB41 M79540
I'd much rather have SS or PM rather than something fudged up to look like something else.
Hey my money my choice.
I bet the cosmetic additions weren't pointed out at purchase.
Buyer beware. IMHO
Old 13 November 2021, 10:30 PM   #22
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Very cheesy.
Old 13 November 2021, 10:34 PM   #23
roadie1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT
I’ve been wearing two tone Rolex’s for thirty years and this is only the second time I’ve seen this. Of course it’s fused on the steel clasp. If one looks at the underside of the clasp, it’s quite obvious it’s fused on. How else would they match up with the TT bracelet? The older models had a solid steel clasp. Didn’t look quite right. I’m glad they fuse this piece on.

Old 13 November 2021, 10:43 PM   #24
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Sorry that it happened and Rolex will fix it and make it right. Great watch and glad you are getting a lot of wear with it.
Old 13 November 2021, 10:55 PM   #25
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie1 View Post
I’ve been wearing two tone Rolex’s for thirty years and this is only the second time I’ve seen this. Of course it’s fused on the steel clasp. If one looks at the underside of the clasp, it’s quite obvious it’s fused on. How else would they match up with the TT bracelet? The older models had a solid steel clasp. Didn’t look quite right. I’m glad they fuse this piece on.

Have to agree and back then many years ago owners of TT watches complained that they had only a SS clasp. So Rolex changed the design and put a thin strip of solid 18Ct gold across the clasp. So now one or two fail out of the millions of TT subs produced and its a design fault, and some think they are being ripped off. I wonder how these ripped off guys could produce a solid SS and gold clasp, as it would be impossible to do as melting point of gold is 1,064° C and SS 1400 - 1450°C.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 13 November 2021, 11:03 PM   #26
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Yet another thread showing how many Rolex enthusiasts have never seen or handled a two tone watch.

How could the centre strip of the clasp be solid gold?
Old 13 November 2021, 11:13 PM   #27
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
Yet another thread showing how many Rolex enthusiasts have never seen or handled a two tone watch.

How could the centre strip of the clasp be solid gold?
I'd never thought about this before, but it makes sense. Real solid gold in the middle fused to the stainless sides would likely fail even quicker than the rare applique that fall off.

OP, just be happy that warranty will cover it, and it will likely never happen again.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
Old 13 November 2021, 11:21 PM   #28
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Rarely seen issue. I’d sure rather have a .6mm strip of gold versus a micron or 2 of gold plating.

These watches are well built. Millions of the TT sold across 4 decades. I’m not phased at all and would still wear TT, but my tastes have shifted a little and I don’t wear them much.
Old 13 November 2021, 11:58 PM   #29
Gladiat0r
"TRF" Member

Disappointing that it falls off like on a 2020 watch. I’m not disappointed that the clasp has a strip of gold but that it falls off. Maybe they need to change the means of attachment.
Old 14 November 2021, 12:06 AM   #30
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiat0r View Post
Disappointing that it falls off like on a 2020 watch. I’m not disappointed that the clasp has a strip of gold but that it falls off. Maybe they need to change the means of attachment.
Would doubt if it just falls off, and how would you attached a strip of gold to to SS.As I am 100% sure Rolex has researched the best and only best method of fusing two totally different metals together.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Closed Thread

Tags
rolesor quality issue