The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 July 2023, 02:42 AM   #1
jfmiii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750/16800/126710
What is going on with the Pepsi insert?

I reached out to a VERY prominent LA watchmaker this week. They had worked on some vintage pieces for me and I had a question regarding a 126710BLRO I was considering buying. They told me there was a service bulletin from Rolex about the ceramic Pepsi insert. It stated that the bezel is very brittle and prone to breaking when removing and/or installing. This shop, who no doubt works on some of the most expensive vintage Rolex watches in the world, will not accept a 126710BLRO for work “until further notice.”

We know rolex has had issues with this insert. From mixing the colors to inserts cracking, etc. I seen rumors that the Pepsi would be discontinued or moved to PM only next year. I dismissed these rumors as grey mkt hype; underwater dealers trying to spread rumors and move watches. But I was very surprised to receive the email I did from a place that works on Paul Newman Daytonas and fragile 6542s. I apologize if this service bulletin is old news but it was news to me.
jfmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 02:49 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
All the ceramic inserts can break quite easy if not using the correct tool, and far more expensive to replace over the aluminium inserts that are quite cheap and easy to replace.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 02:52 AM   #3
nr1416
"TRF" Member

I never believed a second of this rumor at first but keep hearing more things right from the ADs about how little to no Pepsi's there receiving. Even looking at sellers groups I'm seeing tons of brand new BLNRs and VTNRs come up for sale but very few BLROs.

Sent from my SM-S916W using Tapatalk
nr1416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 03:57 AM   #4
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

I would think brittleness would affect all the current GMT bezels as they are all ceramic. I'm also assuming the process of making the ceramic is the same for all the ceramic bezels.

So unless the coloring process specifically affects the BLRO bezel, I have a hard time believing brittleness is causing a product slow down or shut down.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 04:15 AM   #5
jfmiii
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
I would think brittleness would affect all the current GMT bezels as they are all ceramic. I'm also assuming the process of making the ceramic is the same for all the ceramic bezels.

So unless the coloring process specifically affects the BLRO bezel, I have a hard time believing brittleness is causing a product slow down or shut down.
Well we know the manufacturing process is very different on a Pepsi vs blnr, vtnr, and ln. they begin as different base colors, heated at different temperatures, etc.
Old 29 July 2023, 04:40 AM   #6
Sub24541
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post

The base ceramic material is different for the BLRO (aluminum oxide, Al2O3) than it is for all the other ceramic bezels (zirconium oxide, ZrO2). Rolex could not get a passable red color on ZrO2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sub24541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 04:42 AM   #7
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Thanks for sharing, OP. My 126719 BLRO insert is holding up just fine but it rarely sees more action than Couch TourÖ..wishing I was at MSG.

jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 04:42 AM   #8
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I can’t recall seeing anymore BLRO bezels cracking by their owners than any other GMT models on TRF. Perhaps colder temps might make it more fragile than other colors??
Old 29 July 2023, 04:46 AM   #9
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
I canít recall seeing anymore BLRO bezels cracking by their owners than any other GMT models on TRF. Perhaps colder temps might make it more fragile than other colors??

I always point this out too. I canít recall ANY first-hand experiences of a TRF member saying their BLRO cracked.

Old 29 July 2023, 04:51 AM   #10
cbalster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
I always point this out too. I canít recall ANY first-hand experiences of a TRF member saying their BLRO cracked.

I had one. It had a hairline crack thru the 1 in 14. I can find a picture. You had to loupe it to see. Prior to my ownership it must have had a hard impact as the bezel turning action was wrong as well. When the bezel action was repaired by RSC, the imperfect bezel was left on. I've since moved on from this watch, and since gotten the call from the AD for my own one at MSRP. It was a crack but looked like a scratch. Not a big deal.
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 05:01 AM   #11
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
All the ceramic inserts can break quite easy if not using the correct tool, and far more expensive to replace over the aluminium inserts that are quite cheap and easy to replace.
Exactly. All ceramic bezels are more fragile than the old aluminum. My 14060M is way more durable than my 124060 in that regard. That’s how they coexist in the same collection.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 05:08 AM   #12
JMGoodnight369
"TRF" Member

I just talked to my AD about this yesterday since the Pepsi is next on my list and they confirmed it’s a problem with the red and they have only had a couple WG Pepsi’s this year and zero SS. I’m thinking I might just switch over to the VTNR or spring for a 3186 Pepsi.
JMGoodnight369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 05:09 AM   #13
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
There a lot's of comments here about Ce bezels easily withstanding daily/regular use. I do not believe that's what this thread is about. The OP is discussing the matter of fragility while removing the insert.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 05:10 AM   #14
S52
"TRF" Member

Watch: me fly-by
They should just go back to the Aluminum Bezels. Seemed to work just fine for the GMT in all its various iterations for over half a century. It's a pilots tool watch which will get banged around in its worldly travels. No reason to have fragile and more expensive ceramic. The Aluminum Bezels are cheap and also allow easy swaps to change up the look.

Do away with the guady PCL's too please. Its not a fashion/dress watch!

Old 29 July 2023, 05:40 AM   #15
Lovebird
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr1416 View Post
I never believed a second of this rumor at first but keep hearing more things right from the ADs about how little to no Pepsi's there receiving. Even looking at sellers groups I'm seeing tons of brand new BLNRs and VTNRs come up for sale but very few BLROs.
I never understand this type of post. Like what make you NOT believe this "at first"? Even the OP says it was "grey market hype" at first. Like is it that hard to believe the most in demand piece which was impossible to get at ADs to begin with and was marked up over 100% MRSP at grey at one point had a production issue?
Lovebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 06:20 AM   #16
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebird View Post
I never understand this type of post. Like what make you NOT believe this "at first"? Even the OP says it was "grey market hype" at first. Like is it that hard to believe the most in demand piece which was impossible to get at ADs to begin with and was marked up over 100% MRSP at grey at one point had a production issue?
Not understanding what YOU are trying to say. You could make the same statement about a lot of steel sports Rolexes at the peak of the market. Did they ALL have production issues?
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 06:26 AM   #17
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Bas should be able to clear this up..
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 06:35 AM   #18
Lovebird
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
Not understanding what YOU are trying to say. You could make the same statement about a lot of steel sports Rolexes at the peak of the market. Did they ALL have production issues?
There were numerous threads about production issues on the BLNR bezels, every single one had a response of how grey dealers were selling stories to hype up demand and how ADs were telling fibs. Iím curious why people were so reluctant to believe it. Especially given itís known that the bezels and the colour bleeding was a difficult process to begin with.
Lovebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 07:03 AM   #19
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S52 View Post
They should just go back to the Aluminum Bezels. Seemed to work just fine for the GMT in all its various iterations for over half a century. It's a pilots tool watch which will get banged around in its worldly travels. No reason to have fragile and more expensive ceramic. The Aluminum Bezels are cheap and also allow easy swaps to change up the look.

I donít see Rolex going backwards like that. Good news for you is you have a couple decades of vintage and neo-vintage to chose from.

Old 29 July 2023, 07:23 AM   #20
jfmiii
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Thanks for sharing, OP. My 126719 BLRO insert is holding up just fine but it rarely sees more action than Couch TourÖ..wishing I was at MSG.

Me too! But I at least get 3 nights in Chicago this fall!
Old 29 July 2023, 07:55 AM   #21
chc4au
"TRF" Member

BLRO Ceramic Insert broken

About 5 years ago I had the local AD who has a certified Rolex watch repairman on staff check my White Gold BLRO that was running about 20 seconds slow each day. Their watch repairman broke the ceramic bezel and tried to cover it up saying he had to send to Rolex to adjust timing. Long story short the "repairs ended up taking about 8 months because part was not available and then tried to charge me a service fee. Needless to say I do not deal with this AD and send my watches direct to RSC (Dallas) for any work.
chc4au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 08:53 AM   #22
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmiii View Post
Me too! But I at least get 3 nights in Chicago this fall!
Me too, I got a 3 day pass!
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 08:58 AM   #23
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
They told me there was a service bulletin from Rolex about the ceramic Pepsi insert. It stated that the bezel is very brittle and prone to breaking when removing and/or installing.
I feel like no one is reading this haha.

The OP is referring to removing, installing, swapping the CE Insert.

Is the old aluminum inserts more shatter resistant? Yes, 100% more, as they're virtually shatterproof, but it's extremely rare anyones every had an issue with a CE insert breaking.

Try to remove the insert yourself with the wrong tool, that's another story.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 09:03 AM   #24
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Donít think the BLRO / Pepsi ceramic insert is more or less prone to breaking than the BLNR, VTNR, LN, etc ceramic inserts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 09:54 AM   #25
dannyp
Banned

Quote:

Why not just cut the price in half while youíre at it?!?!

Oh, wait, all of that already happened. Youíll have to trade a Rolex crown for a Tudor shield, but the watch is available!
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 10:26 AM   #26
jfmiii
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Donít think the BLRO / Pepsi ceramic insert is more or less prone to breaking than the BLNR, VTNR, LN, etc ceramic inserts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
According to this shop, it was specifically the BLRO. And given who runs it, I take what they say as gospel regarding anything Rolex.
Old 29 July 2023, 10:32 AM   #27
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:

Agree and I also prefer the look of the Pepsi aluminum bezel which catches the light much nicer. No offence to BLRO owners but the ceramic seems too flat looking imho. Ceramic is scratch resistant but not impact resistant as we know. Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 10:54 AM   #28
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

This has come from too many legitimate sources at this point to be hearsay or urban legend.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 06:45 PM   #29
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126622
Quote:
According to this shop, it was specifically the BLRO. And given who runs it, I take what they say as gospel regarding anything Rolex.
My AD who I know very well told me the same thing.

Also, I understand the BLRO is fired around 200 degrees hotter which differentiates it from the other colours.
Old 29 July 2023, 06:48 PM   #30
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
This has come from too many legitimate sources at this point to be hearsay or urban legend.
I agree. Must be something to it.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote