The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX


Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 July 2023, 02:42 AM   #1
jfmiii
"TRF" Member
 
jfmiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Watch: 16750/16800/126710
Posts: 1,401
What is going on with the Pepsi insert?

I reached out to a VERY prominent LA watchmaker this week. They had worked on some vintage pieces for me and I had a question regarding a 126710BLRO I was considering buying. They told me there was a service bulletin from Rolex about the ceramic Pepsi insert. It stated that the bezel is very brittle and prone to breaking when removing and/or installing. This shop, who no doubt works on some of the most expensive vintage Rolex watches in the world, will not accept a 126710BLRO for work “until further notice.”

We know rolex has had issues with this insert. From mixing the colors to inserts cracking, etc. I seen rumors that the Pepsi would be discontinued or moved to PM only next year. I dismissed these rumors as grey mkt hype; underwater dealers trying to spread rumors and move watches. But I was very surprised to receive the email I did from a place that works on Paul Newman Daytonas and fragile 6542s. I apologize if this service bulletin is old news but it was news to me.
jfmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 02:49 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron
 
padi56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Real Name: Peter
Location: Llanfairpwllgwyng
Watch: ing you.
Posts: 52,391
All the ceramic inserts can break quite easy if not using the correct tool, and far more expensive to replace over the aluminium inserts that are quite cheap and easy to replace.
__________________

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 02:52 AM   #3
nr1416
"TRF" Member
 
nr1416's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NA
Posts: 759
I never believed a second of this rumor at first but keep hearing more things right from the ADs about how little to no Pepsi's there receiving. Even looking at sellers groups I'm seeing tons of brand new BLNRs and VTNRs come up for sale but very few BLROs.



Sent from my SM-S916W using Tapatalk
nr1416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 03:57 AM   #4
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 769
I would think brittleness would affect all the current GMT bezels as they are all ceramic. I'm also assuming the process of making the ceramic is the same for all the ceramic bezels.

So unless the coloring process specifically affects the BLRO bezel, I have a hard time believing brittleness is causing a product slow down or shut down.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 04:15 AM   #5
jfmiii
"TRF" Member
 
jfmiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Watch: 16750/16800/126710
Posts: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
I would think brittleness would affect all the current GMT bezels as they are all ceramic. I'm also assuming the process of making the ceramic is the same for all the ceramic bezels.

So unless the coloring process specifically affects the BLRO bezel, I have a hard time believing brittleness is causing a product slow down or shut down.
Well we know the manufacturing process is very different on a Pepsi vs blnr, vtnr, and ln. they begin as different base colors, heated at different temperatures, etc.
jfmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 04:40 AM   #6
Sub24541
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: NY
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
I would think brittleness would affect all the current GMT bezels as they are all ceramic. I'm also assuming the process of making the ceramic is the same for all the ceramic bezels.

So unless the coloring process specifically affects the BLRO bezel, I have a hard time believing brittleness is causing a product slow down or shut down.

The base ceramic material is different for the BLRO (aluminum oxide, Al2O3) than it is for all the other ceramic bezels (zirconium oxide, ZrO2). Rolex could not get a passable red color on ZrO2.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sub24541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 04:42 AM   #7
jb335
2024 Pledge Member
 
jb335's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: The States
Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Posts: 6,964
Thanks for sharing, OP. My 126719 BLRO insert is holding up just fine but it rarely sees more action than Couch TourÖ..wishing I was at MSG.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 04:42 AM   #8
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member
 
Mystro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Real Name: The Mystro ;)
Location: Central Pa.
Posts: 14,814
I can’t recall seeing anymore BLRO bezels cracking by their owners than any other GMT models on TRF. Perhaps colder temps might make it more fragile than other colors??
__________________
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hyitq0aikqgajc0/Time%20sig.jpg?raw=1[/img]
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 04:46 AM   #9
jb335
2024 Pledge Member
 
jb335's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: The States
Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Posts: 6,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
I canít recall seeing anymore BLRO bezels cracking by their owners than any other GMT models on TRF. Perhaps colder temps might make it more fragile than other colors??

I always point this out too. I canít recall ANY first-hand experiences of a TRF member saying their BLRO cracked.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 04:51 AM   #10
cbalster
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Hillsborough
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
I always point this out too. I canít recall ANY first-hand experiences of a TRF member saying their BLRO cracked.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had one. It had a hairline crack thru the 1 in 14. I can find a picture. You had to loupe it to see. Prior to my ownership it must have had a hard impact as the bezel turning action was wrong as well. When the bezel action was repaired by RSC, the imperfect bezel was left on. I've since moved on from this watch, and since gotten the call from the AD for my own one at MSRP. It was a crack but looked like a scratch. Not a big deal.
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 05:01 AM   #11
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member
 
AJMarcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Real Name: AJ
Location: USA
Watch: Swiss
Posts: 5,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
All the ceramic inserts can break quite easy if not using the correct tool, and far more expensive to replace over the aluminium inserts that are quite cheap and easy to replace.
Exactly. All ceramic bezels are more fragile than the old aluminum. My 14060M is way more durable than my 124060 in that regard. That’s how they coexist in the same collection.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 05:08 AM   #12
JMGoodnight369
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Georgia USA
Posts: 358
I just talked to my AD about this yesterday since the Pepsi is next on my list and they confirmed it’s a problem with the red and they have only had a couple WG Pepsi’s this year and zero SS. I’m thinking I might just switch over to the VTNR or spring for a 3186 Pepsi.
JMGoodnight369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 05:09 AM   #13
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member
 
Chadridv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Real Name: Chadri
Location: LI, NY
Watch: 116610LV
Posts: 11,351
There a lot's of comments here about Ce bezels easily withstanding daily/regular use. I do not believe that's what this thread is about. The OP is discussing the matter of fragility while removing the insert.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 05:10 AM   #14
S52
"TRF" Member
 
S52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: FL230
Watch: me fly-by
Posts: 789
They should just go back to the Aluminum Bezels. Seemed to work just fine for the GMT in all its various iterations for over half a century. It's a pilots tool watch which will get banged around in its worldly travels. No reason to have fragile and more expensive ceramic. The Aluminum Bezels are cheap and also allow easy swaps to change up the look.

Do away with the guady PCL's too please. Its not a fashion/dress watch!

__________________
GMT Master II 16710B BLRO--Sea Dweller 16600--Submariner 1680--Milgauss 116400--Tudor BB58 79030B--Omega Speedmaster Pro--IWC Mark XV Automatic--Breitling Aerospace
S52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 05:40 AM   #15
Lovebird
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Location: UK
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr1416 View Post
I never believed a second of this rumor at first but keep hearing more things right from the ADs about how little to no Pepsi's there receiving. Even looking at sellers groups I'm seeing tons of brand new BLNRs and VTNRs come up for sale but very few BLROs.
I never understand this type of post. Like what make you NOT believe this "at first"? Even the OP says it was "grey market hype" at first. Like is it that hard to believe the most in demand piece which was impossible to get at ADs to begin with and was marked up over 100% MRSP at grey at one point had a production issue?
Lovebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 06:20 AM   #16
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 1,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebird View Post
I never understand this type of post. Like what make you NOT believe this "at first"? Even the OP says it was "grey market hype" at first. Like is it that hard to believe the most in demand piece which was impossible to get at ADs to begin with and was marked up over 100% MRSP at grey at one point had a production issue?
Not understanding what YOU are trying to say. You could make the same statement about a lot of steel sports Rolexes at the peak of the market. Did they ALL have production issues?
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 06:26 AM   #17
2loaded
"TRF" Member
 
2loaded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: USA
Watch: es watches
Posts: 1,961
Bas should be able to clear this up..
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 06:35 AM   #18
Lovebird
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Location: UK
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
Not understanding what YOU are trying to say. You could make the same statement about a lot of steel sports Rolexes at the peak of the market. Did they ALL have production issues?
There were numerous threads about production issues on the BLNR bezels, every single one had a response of how grey dealers were selling stories to hype up demand and how ADs were telling fibs. Iím curious why people were so reluctant to believe it. Especially given itís known that the bezels and the colour bleeding was a difficult process to begin with.
Lovebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 07:03 AM   #19
jb335
2024 Pledge Member
 
jb335's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: The States
Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Posts: 6,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by S52 View Post
They should just go back to the Aluminum Bezels. Seemed to work just fine for the GMT in all its various iterations for over half a century. It's a pilots tool watch which will get banged around in its worldly travels. No reason to have fragile and more expensive ceramic. The Aluminum Bezels are cheap and also allow easy swaps to change up the look.

Do away with the guady PCL's too please. Its not a fashion/dress watch!


I donít see Rolex going backwards like that. Good news for you is you have a couple decades of vintage and neo-vintage to chose from.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 07:23 AM   #20
jfmiii
"TRF" Member
 
jfmiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Watch: 16750/16800/126710
Posts: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Thanks for sharing, OP. My 126719 BLRO insert is holding up just fine but it rarely sees more action than Couch TourÖ..wishing I was at MSG.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Me too! But I at least get 3 nights in Chicago this fall!
jfmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 07:55 AM   #21
chc4au
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Birmingham Al
Posts: 155
BLRO Ceramic Insert broken

About 5 years ago I had the local AD who has a certified Rolex watch repairman on staff check my White Gold BLRO that was running about 20 seconds slow each day. Their watch repairman broke the ceramic bezel and tried to cover it up saying he had to send to Rolex to adjust timing. Long story short the "repairs ended up taking about 8 months because part was not available and then tried to charge me a service fee. Needless to say I do not deal with this AD and send my watches direct to RSC (Dallas) for any work.
__________________
Charlie ,
My Watches:TT DJ White Roman, YG DD II White Roman, YG GMT IIc, Platinum DD II Blue Concentric,
White Gold GMT IIc BLRO
chc4au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 08:53 AM   #22
~JJ
"TRF" Member
 
~JJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chicago
Watch: explorer
Posts: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmiii View Post
Me too! But I at least get 3 nights in Chicago this fall!
Me too, I got a 3 day pass!
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 08:58 AM   #23
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member
 
Chadridv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Real Name: Chadri
Location: LI, NY
Watch: 116610LV
Posts: 11,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmiii View Post
They told me there was a service bulletin from Rolex about the ceramic Pepsi insert. It stated that the bezel is very brittle and prone to breaking when removing and/or installing.
I feel like no one is reading this haha.

The OP is referring to removing, installing, swapping the CE Insert.

Is the old aluminum inserts more shatter resistant? Yes, 100% more, as they're virtually shatterproof, but it's extremely rare anyones every had an issue with a CE insert breaking.

Try to remove the insert yourself with the wrong tool, that's another story.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 09:03 AM   #24
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member
 
fskywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Real Name: Francisco
Location: San Juan, PR
Watch: Is Ticking !
Posts: 24,680
Donít think the BLRO / Pepsi ceramic insert is more or less prone to breaking than the BLNR, VTNR, LN, etc ceramic inserts


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
Francisco
♛ 16610 / 116264
Ω 168.022 / 2535.80.00 / 2230.50.00 / 310.30.42.50.01.002
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 09:54 AM   #25
dannyp
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: usa
Posts: 6,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by S52 View Post
They should just go back to the Aluminum Bezels. Seemed to work just fine for the GMT in all its various iterations for over half a century. It's a pilots tool watch which will get banged around in its worldly travels. No reason to have fragile and more expensive ceramic. The Aluminum Bezels are cheap and also allow easy swaps to change up the look.

Do away with the guady PCL's too please. Its not a fashion/dress watch!

Why not just cut the price in half while youíre at it?!?!

Oh, wait, all of that already happened. Youíll have to trade a Rolex crown for a Tudor shield, but the watch is available!
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 10:26 AM   #26
jfmiii
"TRF" Member
 
jfmiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Watch: 16750/16800/126710
Posts: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Donít think the BLRO / Pepsi ceramic insert is more or less prone to breaking than the BLNR, VTNR, LN, etc ceramic inserts


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
According to this shop, it was specifically the BLRO. And given who runs it, I take what they say as gospel regarding anything Rolex.
jfmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 10:32 AM   #27
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member
 
TickTockChuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Real Name: Chuck
Location: Canada
Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Posts: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by S52 View Post
They should just go back to the Aluminum Bezels. Seemed to work just fine for the GMT in all its various iterations for over half a century. It's a pilots tool watch which will get banged around in its worldly travels. No reason to have fragile and more expensive ceramic. The Aluminum Bezels are cheap and also allow easy swaps to change up the look.

Do away with the guady PCL's too please. Its not a fashion/dress watch!

Agree and I also prefer the look of the Pepsi aluminum bezel which catches the light much nicer. No offence to BLRO owners but the ceramic seems too flat looking imho. Ceramic is scratch resistant but not impact resistant as we know. Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 10:54 AM   #28
mgsooner
"TRF" Member
 
mgsooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Real Name: Matthew
Location: Tulsa, OK, USA
Posts: 1,921
This has come from too many legitimate sources at this point to be hearsay or urban legend.
__________________
|Rolex Submariner 114060|Rolex Datejust 126234 silver dial|
|Tudor Heritage Chrono 70330B|
|Grand Seiko SBGT021 day-date quartz|
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 06:45 PM   #29
Goose 104
"TRF" Member
 
Goose 104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: UK
Watch: 126622
Posts: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmiii View Post
According to this shop, it was specifically the BLRO. And given who runs it, I take what they say as gospel regarding anything Rolex.
My AD who I know very well told me the same thing.

Also, I understand the BLRO is fired around 200 degrees hotter which differentiates it from the other colours.
__________________
♛126622 Rhodium // ♛126234 Blue //♛126613LB // ♛126000 Green + more ♛
76213 Prince Date+Day // Black Bay 58 // Black Bay Harrods // Heritage Advisor // Vertex M100 + more...
Goose 104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 06:48 PM   #30
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member
 
thesharkfactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Scotland
Watch: GMT
Posts: 3,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
This has come from too many legitimate sources at this point to be hearsay or urban legend.
I agree. Must be something to it.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

OCWatches

DavidSW Watches

Bernard Watches

Takuya Watches

My Watch LLC


*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2024, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.