The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 6 January 2020, 03:05 AM   #1
alex_nyc
"TRF" Member

Icon20 First Time Purchaser - Wait List Help

Would appreciate anyones help or advise with first time AP purchase. Apologies if this has been covered in a previous thread but I could not find anything.

I want to purchase a RO 15500 blue dial but obviously its in high demand and the difference in purchasing new from AP vs secondary market is huge price difference and I want to be savy financially. What is the best approach to getting on AP wait list for someone who does not have a purchase history with AP? I live in NYC and work for a pretty well known company. If my boss has purchased from the NYC boutique, would a referral from him be enough?

Otherwise, I travel regularly and would be willing to make a stop in a city with a more accessible waiting list than NYC. Are there cities that offer better accessibility for purchasing for a first time buyer?

Any advise would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
alex_nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 04:42 AM   #2
PJ S
Banned

If your boss has a significant history/purchasing with the boutique, then a referral from him may work, but it could be better to let him acquire it and sell it to you.
If he’s only bought a couple of pieces, and not fairly recently, then his referral won’t make a blind bit of difference, you’ll be expected to bundle to buy other pieces first to show your commitment to the brand, in their eyes.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 08:14 AM   #3
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

In all frankness, while the premium on the secondary market is high, it's not crazy like Daytona or 5711 crazy on a % basis. It would be better financially to look at another color dial or just pay the premium here since buying a bunch of watches like the CODE would end up costing you a whole lot more.

Lastly, you could also look for something like a silver dial on a 15400 which IMO has a better balance dial and not crazy premiums. While blue is en vogue, I think the silver will survive the test of time better.

Since you work for a 'pretty well known company', I sincerely believe your time value of money would be better spent enjoying the watch rather than trying to figure out how to save the 10k-ish USD or asking your boss for a 10k bonus rather than asking him to save you 10k from the secondary which may not be perceived kindly. .
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 08:47 AM   #4
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
The referral might be worth a try. I’ve helped a close friend of mine acquire an in-demand piece from my AD in the past. It wasn’t the hardest to get piece but again, worth a try. If you were after a 15202 I’d say no chance, but the 500.....maaaybe.

You might also consider another dial color - or even a 15400 from a TS (I honestly prefer the 400) especially with the increase.

I’d definitely recommend going in and chatting with them, and it will never hurt to go to other ADs or boutiques on travel. I stay in constant contact with AP especially when I travel and setup appointments whenever I can.

Good luck!!
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 09:41 AM   #5
mustangtornado
"TRF" Member

If your travels take you to Miami, the Bal Harbour boutique is a good bet. They have a lot of out of town clients, the nature of Miami, and you aren’t competing against the NYC masses kicking the door down in bonus season.
mustangtornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 10:11 AM   #6
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_nyc View Post
Would appreciate anyones help or advise with first time AP purchase. Apologies if this has been covered in a previous thread but I could not find anything.

I want to purchase a RO 15500 blue dial but obviously its in high demand and the difference in purchasing new from AP vs secondary market is huge price difference and I want to be savy financially. What is the best approach to getting on AP wait list for someone who does not have a purchase history with AP? I live in NYC and work for a pretty well known company. If my boss has purchased from the NYC boutique, would a referral from him be enough?

Otherwise, I travel regularly and would be willing to make a stop in a city with a more accessible waiting list than NYC. Are there cities that offer better accessibility for purchasing for a first time buyer?

Few on Ch24 for a small premium, one BNIB for $25k, US based, which is really only a $2k premium when you consider the tax savings and that's paying full asking. Why trouble anyone else or deal with the AD insanity. This way you get exactly what you want now, delivered to your door. Seems like a no brainer.
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 01:18 PM   #7
singaporepatek
Banned

First Time Purchaser - Wait List Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangtornado View Post
If your travels take you to Miami, the Bal Harbour boutique is a good bet. They have a lot of out of town clients, the nature of Miami, and you aren’t competing against the NYC masses kicking the door down in bonus season.

Bal Harbor will get you a black dial within 6-8 months, gray or blue could be 1+ yrs. without buying a code, no chance with them they are hard on for selling code right now.
singaporepatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 10:26 PM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Try the referral, try everything, but I'd set a time limit on how long you will wait before going grey, 6 months or even a year if you can do it, I just don't like the idea of being left hanging and having no control.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2020, 01:38 AM   #9
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
Few on Ch24 for a small premium, one BNIB for $25k, US based, which is really only a $2k premium when you consider the tax savings and that's paying full asking. Why trouble anyone else or deal with the AD insanity. This way you get exactly what you want now, delivered to your door. Seems like a no brainer.
that's a really good catch i don't think it will stay long in the market at this price point.
Collector2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2020, 04:29 AM   #10
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector2019 View Post
that's a really good catch i don't think it will stay long in the market at this price point.
If you only want this one watch then go grey and buy it right now. But if you want to buy more watches and see yourself playing golf with ian poulter at lake como at an AP event some day, I would try and start a relationship with a boutique.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2020, 05:54 AM   #11
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
If you’re talking about the one listed at 25500 the written description says a rare and hard to find black dial. I sincerely doubt you will find the blue dial new below 28-30k.
Old 7 January 2020, 06:08 AM   #12
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
I bought a Code 11.59 in Oct 2019 to start my boutique relationship where I was assured a 15500 blue in 2020.

While waiting, I was offered and purchased a 26405CG - marvelous watch.

Happy camper here.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2020, 09:12 AM   #13
Basic_Satisfaction
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_nyc View Post

The referral may work if your boss works directly with the AD. It’ll be well worth it
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9E6C105A-0150-47BE-82FD-D3677CD06664.jpeg (151.9 KB, 497 views)
Basic_Satisfaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2020, 09:24 AM   #14
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Every Boutique is different. Try referral first. If the answer is negative and if you need it now, and have no plans to buy more into the brand, grey dealer is a good option.
Old 7 January 2020, 10:35 AM   #15
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

If you plan on purchasing other brand new pieces I recommend working with the boutique and building the relationship, it will pay off over time.
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2020, 10:53 AM   #16
ChaseATX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5270g
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post

Lastly, you could also look for something like a silver dial on a 15400 which IMO has a better balance dial and not crazy premiums. While blue is en vogue, I think the silver will survive the test of time better.

Completely agree, although I still want the blue dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChaseATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2020, 05:06 PM   #17
rumnyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15202ST
AP attitude is blue dial watches are for old customers who have bought a few watches and not just one kind. A gold watch goes a long way.

I asked today about blue 15500 and told if I buy a millenary or code then I can jump the queue and have within a month (the next one they get). Else 6months or so. Chinese New Year is in 3 weeks so probably a huge shipment is incoming.

Hk is crazy though. They have like 5 boutiques in 5 central which is like 500sq m lol and they all se
To get more watches than most countries.
rumnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 02:25 AM   #18
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
If you’re talking about the one listed at 25500 the written description says a rare and hard to find black dial. I sincerely doubt you will find the blue dial new below 28-30k.
Contacted the seller and it's confirmed blue at $25k and still unsold. The deals are out there.
Old 8 January 2020, 02:48 AM   #19
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Contacted the seller and it's confirmed blue at $25k and still unsold. The deals are out there.
I am really surprised it's not yet sold and what's even form surprising is that it's offered by a grey dealer not a private seller.

as @dauster said "if you are only looking for one watch from AP" this should be a deal not to be missed. but if you're looking to connect further with the brand and see yourself at AP's events and building a collection then it is wiser to go through the boutique route.
Collector2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 04:28 AM   #20
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Interesting that’s a great deal and I think it will sell soon.
Old 8 January 2020, 05:34 AM   #21
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Interesting that’s a great deal and I think it will sell soon.
Already gone.
Old 8 January 2020, 06:06 AM   #22
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Already gone.
five gets you ten it was someone who read this thread lol prolly see it listed tomorrow at 30k lol
Old 8 January 2020, 08:06 AM   #23
rumnyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15202ST
Quote:
five gets you ten it was someone who read this thread lol prolly see it listed tomorrow at 30k lol
thats what i was thinking. its either gonna get relisted or a someone else waiting for a deal just got their wish...
rumnyc is offline   Reply With Quote