The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 May 2020, 10:14 PM   #31
mimo5000
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
I wanted to love the sky dweller, but when I tried them on at an AD I just couldn't get over the size. Too big for me, and it wouldn't get a lot of wrist time I know... It felt as big and heavy as my Pam 005, which I rarely wear. But in other people's pictures the SD just sings. I was definitely disappointed when I tried it on. Make sure you do so before making any decisions.
I had a BLNR on my list for a couple years and was ready for a jubilee, but then tried on the CHNR. Once I saw it and tried it on I had to have it. The BLNR desire completely went away. I love my CHNR and I'm so happy I made the purchase. It rounds out my collection.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
mimo5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 10:16 PM   #32
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedersenkl View Post
I am looking to add a new watch and finding it hard to choose, especially when you cannot try them on in person (due lack of Rolex availability and also COVID closing stores).

My current main two watches are a Rolex Daytona SS White 116520 and a Tag Link Calibre 36 (El Primero) Black Chrono. Love both!

Looking to add a dual time zone (I do travel some) along with a touch of color (other watches are black/white face).
Budget up to $15k. Plan to purchase at retail via an AD. I am on lists already, have a couple leads but am patient.

Been looking at the following:

CHNR 126711
- Adds GMT
- Chocolate in bezel for color (more natural)
- Rose gold and two tone band add variety

BLNR 126710
- Adds GMT
- Blue in bezel for color
- Jubilee band for variety (vs Oyster)

SKY-DWELLER BLUE 326934
- Adds GMT & Annual Calendar
- Blue preferred (but impossible to get :/ )

Also fond of these, but not on top of list.

YM 40 BLUE
- Love the blue dial, but no GMT
- Would purchase outside of AD, since cheaper.

TUDOR GMT
- Love the design and colors (better than BLRO), but thickness is a concern
- Can likely be picked up later, if desired.

SUB ND
- No GMT or Color. (my two current goals)
- I will add at some point, given it's a classic. My AD can obtain one now.

My thoughts:
I am fascinated by the Sky-dweller complication. Just unsure on wearability size. Also less sporty (classic vs prof). Blue dial is preferred, but just impossible at an AD currently.

Gut says a GMT Master II would be a better overall size and its sportiness likely fits better with my daily lifestyle. BLNR provides the blue bezel color which I like. Jubilee bracelet give it a different feel. Hard to find BLNR, but if patient obtainable at an AD.

An AD offered the CHNR recently as an alternative. Initially not a two tone fan, but the CHNR is really growing on me and may now be my top preference. The rose gold with chocolate dial are just a fantastic combo. Uncertain whether it would be as flexible for casual daily wear as BLNR. Price also a bit higher, so debating whether it's worth it. Also, purchasing for long term...so worry the coloring or two-tone may go in/out of style.

Of course, my other option is to buy two of my 'fond of' watches for under by budget. YM & Tudor GMT or SUB ND & Tudor GMT. Decisions ..decisions.

Figured I'd ask for some thoughts from those who own these watches. My wife prefers CHNR, then BLNR, with SKY last. She also likes the Sub ND. Ultimately, my personal choice. Just wish I could try them all on in an AD and see which sings to me. Maybe someday.

What’s your wrist size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 10:55 PM   #33
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Choosing A New Watch is Hard

1. CHNR - Stunning in the metal. Works with everything casual and formal. Is available to buy. Is uncommon. GMT function.
2. BLNR - handsome watch. Blue and black combo will remain timeless. Works well with most attire. Not that easy to find as a CHNR. GMT function.
3. SkyD - handsome, striking watch. Hot at this time, impossible to find in blue. Large, for my 6.5” wrist at least. GMT function.
4. Sub - classic and iconic watch. Timeless appeal. Not tough to find.
5. YM

Ultimately, what will you like to look at? And what’s your wrist size. That should determine it. Happy hunting.

Old 2 May 2020, 11:01 PM   #34
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
All good choices.
BLNR or SkyD is a tough choice. The SD is definitely more robust and greater wrist presence. Also, jubilee vs oyster. They wear quite differently.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 11:58 PM   #35
pedersenkl
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, GMT, Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleB View Post
What’s your wrist size?
My wrists are average, not small and not large. About 7 1/4 +/-. Gut says, I could like swing any of the Rolex 40mm references or even the 42mm Sky. Just unsure of how the Sky 'feels' on the wrist. My Daytona fits fine now as a smaller 40mm and my Tag also fits well at a smaller 42mm also.

Thickness of a watch is really what I find bothers me more than actual size. My only concern with the Tudor GMT. Also, why I've strayed from the blue dial Omega Planet Ocean GMTs...which I visually like...but the thickness was a deal breaker.
pedersenkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 12:06 AM   #36
pedersenkl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnorpheus View Post
Sounds like you and the wife are both on the same page with the CHNR (would also be my choice), so I say go for it
Yes. My wife tends to have good (and expensive) taste.

She likes the CHNR best, SUB ND next, then BLNR (but dislikes the Jubilee bracelet...her concern is that it will pull arm hairs :) ). She isn't a fan of the Sky-dweller or BLRO. I think the BLRO colors are just off.

BTW - She got this one diamond bezel DJ a couple years back. :) https://www.rolex.com/watches/dateju...4rbr-0018.html
Old 3 May 2020, 12:10 AM   #37
myc ritz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Speedy, Rolex
What about a Pepsi?
myc ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 12:13 AM   #38
pedersenkl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myc ritz View Post
What about a Pepsi?
I just don't like the colors on the current BLRO (Pepsi). A bit too purple/pink at times vs a true blue/red. Colors in my opinion, are better on the Tudor GMT. For Rolex SS GMT II, I prefer the BLNR as my personal preference over BLRO.
Old 3 May 2020, 12:36 AM   #39
mimo5000
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedersenkl View Post
My wrists are average, not small and not large. About 7 1/4 +/-. Gut says, I could like swing any of the Rolex 40mm references or even the 42mm Sky. Just unsure of how the Sky 'feels' on the wrist. My Daytona fits fine now as a smaller 40mm and my Tag also fits well at a smaller 42mm also.

Thickness of a watch is really what I find bothers me more than actual size. My only concern with the Tudor GMT. Also, why I've strayed from the blue dial Omega Planet Ocean GMTs...which I visually like...but the thickness was a deal breaker.
That was the issue for me. Thickness. It really sits up on my wrist and is top heavy. That said my wrist is 6.5" at the moment, so quite a difference from yours. Try it on!
I really hope it works for you. The SD on bracelet is a killer watch.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
mimo5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 01:03 PM   #40
pedersenkl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
1. CHNR - Stunning in the metal. Works with everything casual and formal. Is available to buy. Is uncommon. GMT function.
2. BLNR - handsome watch. Blue and black combo will remain timeless. Works well with most attire. Not that easy to find as a CHNR. GMT function.
3. SkyD - handsome, striking watch. Hot at this time, impossible to find in blue. Large, for my 6.5” wrist at least. GMT function.
4. Sub - classic and iconic watch. Timeless appeal. Not tough to find.
5. YM

Ultimately, what will you like to look at? And what’s your wrist size. That should determine it. Happy hunting.

Beautiful photos. Thank you for posting.

I really like the CHNR and the BLNR!! Grrr. Some similar elements, but still very different looks. CHNR seems a bit more polished/mature. The colors go very well together. Biggest fear with the CHNR...is that it will go out of style over time. Perhaps not. The BLNR is no slouch either. Colors might be a bit more mainstream (blue/black), and the Jubilee certainly makes it pop a bit more. Tough decisions.