The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 3 July 2021, 12:39 AM   #31
bwakus23
"TRF" Member

Or maybe OP only wants to tie his money up in one piece at a time. He may not necessarily plan on selling, but if he does, he'd like to avoid taking a bath as much as possible.

Doesn't mean he's viewing it as an investment.
bwakus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2021, 01:20 AM   #32
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
Watches aren't investment vehicles. People may think they are and those people are in for a shock at some point. If watches were investments then there would be a futures market for them or some other legitimate financial instrument, but there is not.

Questions about value, which are clearly investment questions are tiresome. This is supposed to be a watch forum. By all means ask about two models, but what has price now, or price in the future got to do with anything regarding the merits of the watch itself?

There's value in this little corner of the internet, but not for much longer if everything is going to be tarnished by the vulgar topic of money.

As far as I'm aware there are no 'rules' to this forum or moderators, thus anything goes, so have at it.
I would be more than happy to make the futures market for you -- might have to be offshore in a no jurisdiction no recourse country. I just need one jumbo as margin collateral posted, and no promise on how wide the spread would be....

@bwakus23 if taking a literal bath, definitely go with the Diver.

To everyone else, apologies in advance for my tongue in cheek remarks. I may or may not be bored.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2021, 01:20 AM   #33
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Watches aren't investment vehicles. People may think they are and those people are in for a shock at some point. If watches were investments then there would be a futures market for them or some other legitimate financial instrument, but there is not.

Questions about value, which are clearly investment questions are tiresome. This is supposed to be a watch forum. By all means ask about two models, but what has price now, or price in the future got to do with anything regarding the merits of the watch itself?

There's value in this little corner of the internet, but not for much longer if everything is going to be tarnished by the vulgar topic of money.

As far as I'm aware there are no 'rules' to this forum or moderators, thus anything goes, so have at it.
We can report any dodgy posts to the mods and they will take action if needed so not a free for all.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2021, 01:49 AM   #34
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:

There is at least one hedge fund that specifically invests in watches, the one I’m thinking of the manager invests in only white dial Pateks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2021, 05:11 AM   #35
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwakus23 View Post
Or maybe OP only wants to tie his money up in one piece at a time. He may not necessarily plan on selling, but if he does, he'd like to avoid taking a bath as much as possible.

Doesn't mean he's viewing it as an investment.
OPs prior posts stated that she was looking to buy her way into a 15500 blue allocation for the hubby - if that's still the plan it explains the worry about value retention for the intermediate purchases.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2021, 05:44 AM   #36
bwakus23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
OPs prior posts stated that she was looking to buy her way into a 15500 blue allocation for the hubby - if that's still the plan it explains the worry about value retention for the intermediate purchases.
Well now I feel like an ass, because I assumed it was a man. Apologies!
Old 3 July 2021, 06:08 AM   #37
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, I might still have wrongly assumed the gender based on the mention of hubby.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2021, 06:09 AM   #38
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Token74 just made a great post in another thread. In the spirit of his post then I apologise for being 'mean' to the OP in this post :)

To the OP, if it's correct that you are considering buying a watch in order to be allocated a watch, then that's a horrible position to be in. Buy the cheapest one and get a hard promise from the AD that you WILL get what you want. If you aren't dealing with AP directly then be aware that promises may not be fulfilled.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2021, 08:01 AM   #39
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Token74 just made a great post in another thread. In the spirit of his post then I apologise for being 'mean' to the OP in this post :)

To the OP, if it's correct that you are considering buying a watch in order to be allocated a watch, then that's a horrible position to be in. Buy the cheapest one and get a hard promise from the AD that you WILL get what you want. If you aren't dealing with AP directly then be aware that promises may not be fulfilled.

Gary just for the record, you’re the most “un-mean” person on here. You’re beyond helpful to everybody. And I think if I opened a poll with that question, you’d win it.

Sometimes I get set off on the value retention thing when people draw a conclusion that because somebody cares about that, somehow they are not a “collector” or that they don’t really like watches.

Anyway, OP…if you’re still listening, listen to what Gary says here. Don’t let anybody con you into anything. But the reality is if you want the “in demand” pieces, in today’s market you’re going to pay one way or another in either cash or time. Pick your poison…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 3 July 2021, 08:10 AM   #40
HMHM
"TRF" Member

The thing is - I don’t think buying a AP Diver or a ROC is buying his/her way to a Royal Oak. Both Diver and ROC are essentially RO just with different purposes. The Diver is a casual RO with rubber strap and funky colours, still with the same octagonal bezel which is a signature of the RO. The ROC is a RO just with an added complication. If one has difficulty buying the diver or the ROC but claim they like the 15500/15202 it’s a bit hard to understand the reasoning isn’t it.

Buying an AP should be an experience! For me it certainly was! And I hope it will be the same for you OP and not one you are forced into.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2021, 08:16 AM   #41
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
Gary just for the record, you’re the most “un-mean” person on here. You’re beyond helpful to everybody. And I think if I opened a poll with that question, you’d win it.

Sometimes I get set off on the value retention thing when people draw a conclusion that because somebody cares about that, somehow they are not a “collector” or that they don’t really like watches.

Anyway, OP…if you’re still listening, listen to what Gary says here. Don’t let anybody con you into anything. But the reality is if you want the “in demand” pieces, in today’s market you’re going to pay one way or another in either cash or time. Pick your poison…

Scott, you are kind, but I know I'm marmite and that's fine by me. Nevertheless, there are of course subtexts to text that can't be truly determined, good and bad, maybe I'll try and be a bit more like our 'nice' friend Token74 :)

Cheers, enjoy Independence Day and remember who you achieved independence from...
Old 3 July 2021, 08:25 AM   #42
Highend7
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116520
Quote:
Lol... so a man is better prepared or is okay to get the backlash...

Well, the OP had good reasons for wanting to know the money value.
Highend7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2021, 08:49 AM   #43
bwakus23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highend7 View Post
Lol... so a man is better prepared or is okay to get the backlash...

Well, the OP had good reasons for wanting to know the money value.
That's not what I meant. I simply meant I should not have assumed everyone on the forums is a dude. It's pretty straightforward.
Old 3 July 2021, 11:21 AM   #44
TooWoundUp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
New ROOC or ROO diver 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
First of all, what I value most is educated discourse so I hope that’s clear. I don’t hold a grudge or mean to direct any vitriol towards anybody as long as they are adding to the conversation and remain civil. I’m just trying to ask people to consider another point of view on this one.

I can’t get inside the OPs head so they’d have to comment if they so choose regarding exactly what information they were trying to get from posing this question.

Speaking for myself, I do not equate “store of value” and “investment”. I personally do not “invest in watches”. Many do, and I agree those conversations are tiresome and we risk tarnishing the forum and the hobby as a whole. But, I do care deeply about retaining as much value as I can and it sometimes is a big factor if I am deciding whether to buy something or make a trade. Is this risky? Sure, there is some risk to it. But given where the market is and where I see it staying more or less, I think this is a conservative approach that maximizes my enjoyment. Maybe I’m wrong…time will tell.

I agree, I get the feeling that some people on this forum assume that everyone has 40 grand to drop on a watch and not worry about the prospect of selling it. From what I can tell, the OP isn’t asking which watch is going up in value (which defines investment in my opinion), she was asking about value retention, which is a perfectly legitimate concern.

I also do not invest in watches, mainly because this is a hobby/guilty pleasure being of mine and is a futile pursuit (most of the time they are terrible investments ). But value retention is something I have to factor in, because I don’t have endless amounts of money. These are expensive toys and so when I get tired of something, I need to make sure I can get enough back out of it to roll into the next one.

To the OP, it’s hard to say at this point. I’d say both are pretty well liked and are safe bets. Maybe go for the diver because it’s a lower price point and there’s more of a chance that it will stay close to retail IMO.

Anyway just my two cents!

Old 3 July 2021, 03:31 PM   #45
bwakus23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooWoundUp View Post
I agree, I get the feeling that some people on this forum assume that everyone has 40 grand to drop on a watch and not worry about the prospect of selling it. From what I can tell, the OP isn’t asking which watch is going up in value (which defines investment in my opinion), she was asking about value retention, which is a perfectly legitimate concern.

I also do not invest in watches, mainly because this is a hobby/guilty pleasure being of mine and is a futile pursuit (most of the time they are terrible investments ). But value retention is something I have to factor in, because I don’t have endless amounts of money. These are expensive toys and so when I get tired of something, I need to make sure I can get enough back out of it to roll into the next one.

To the OP, it’s hard to say at this point. I’d say both are pretty well liked and are safe bets. Maybe go for the diver because it’s a lower price point and there’s more of a chance that it will stay close to retail IMO.

Well said.
Old 3 July 2021, 05:56 PM   #46
Zlllj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooWoundUp View Post

Yes, actually. I believe for most people like me, would care more value retention.

Thanks to some who understand what I am after.
Zlllj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2021, 06:23 PM   #47
Zlllj
"TRF" Member

I personally have a RO, the values are so much higher than ROO. I can sell them for higher fraction of profits, isn't it? So why should I make a loss by selling ROO? Does it make sense to u?

I do not understand why some of u have to be so obsessed about resale as long as one asked about value.

Just a simple question and yet some of the comments here are so unconstructive. Only have negative thoughts that they are not happy to see.

For your info, not everyone have endless cash and some just want 1 or 2 watches for themselves.

I really value some who have given me constructive advice and understand what I am after. Thanks once again.
Old 4 July 2021, 03:26 AM   #48
Zlllj
"TRF" Member

GS93106, The faster way to get 15500 is to buy a code 11.59 which some have suggested in other threads. So why am I considering ROO instead? Does ROO helps in profile building? I doubt so. Popular watches are never an AD choice.

Getting a ROO for hubby is another alternative for 15500, isn't it?

For your info, I do not see that it is wrong to ask for retain value. Many would have think of the retain value before buying, as we do not have endless cash like u

Btw, the meaning of retain value is whether the item can hold its value over time. I don't see the word resale in it. So it is your own perspective that it is for resale purposes.
Old 4 July 2021, 03:32 AM   #49
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlllj View Post
GS93106, The faster way to get 15500 is to buy a code 11.59 which some have suggested in other threads. So why am I considering ROO instead? Does ROO helps in profile building? I doubt so. Popular watches are never an AD choice.

Getting a ROO for hubby is another alternative for 15500, isn't it?

For your info, I do not see that it is wrong to ask for value retention. Many would have think of value retention before buying, as we do not have endless cash like u

Btw, the meaning of Value retention is whether the item can hold its value over time. I don't see the word resale in it. So it is your own perspective that it is for resale purposes.
Thanks for your gracious lecture, much appreciated. Good luck with your purchase(s).