The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 August 2021, 01:34 PM   #1741
TNT009
"TRF" Member

Used to until I almost lost in a fight with a drunk.... Nope..... Stays in locker until I get off shift!
TNT009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 03:53 PM   #1742
M9APO
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart_88 View Post
I do now and again

Not worn mine yet and probably never will unless it’s a day of meetings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M9APO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 04:07 PM   #1743
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
I wear a Rolex, Seiko, Timex and, Casio to work.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 04:16 PM   #1744
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny325 View Post
I wear a Rolex, Seiko, Timex and, Casio to work.
Said the Octopus.
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 05:47 PM   #1745
Plopez12808
"TRF" Member

Most definitely do
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210811_143129.jpg (170.7 KB, 372 views)
Plopez12808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 06:44 PM   #1746
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrole View Post
Said the Octopus.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 07:18 PM   #1747
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Always wear my watches to work and everywhere else too.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2021, 08:09 PM   #1748
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
i never understood the reasoning behind feeling bad about wearing a rolex in front of people that make minimum wage or whatever else. it's not like you're selling drugs or doing anything illegal, if you worked hard for it there's nothing wrong with enjoying what comes from that. really only makes sense if you got it through inherited money
Yeah, I guess you do need some sense of empathy to understand why rubbing wealth (a Rolex is often a years salary for very low paid workers) in the face of people who work for you who have next-to-nothing is a bad thing.
Old 15 August 2021, 09:44 PM   #1749
Tanalasta
"TRF" Member

Yes. Watches are meant to be worn. I walked into the dealer wearing a casual shirt ; jeans ; Birkenstocks and had gone to work like that an hour before (as a white collar professional - casual weekend).

Had excellent service.
Tanalasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 12:09 AM   #1750
flw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610LN
Yes, in rotation with my Omegas. But I live where I work, and everyone knows I'm a watch geek. That said, I don't wear my Rolex when I'm out and about in public.
flw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 02:14 AM   #1751
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yeah, I guess you do need some sense of empathy to understand why rubbing wealth (a Rolex is often a years salary for very low paid workers) in the face of people who work for you who have next-to-nothing is a bad thing.
you never said people that work for you. you said "around people who work for peanuts/minimum wage and can't hope to afford such things". i'm not going to feel bad wearing a rolex while going to mcdonalds. i worked for my money and chose a career path that let me obtain one

also "empathy" and "in the face of people who work for you who have next-to-nothing" doesn't make sense. if someone is making a ton of money but paying their people next to nothing how is flaunting wealth in their face any worse and how is that not crass? making all the money off them but not having them know is different i guess lol. do you think all these people who own HVAC or construction businesses have empathy if they don't flaunt a rolex in front of their workers? a lot of these guys are taking home mid 6-7 figures while paying people next to minimum wage for hard manual labor because they use undocumented immigrants who have no other options
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 02:57 AM   #1752
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i'm not going to feel bad wearing a rolex while going to mcdonalds. i worked for my money and chose a career path that let me obtain one
...do you work in McDonalds? Because this thread is clearly (see the title) about wearing it where you work, not where you go out for dining and entertainment whee low-paid workers may happen to be. I mean seriously, yeesh if you couldn't get that rather obvious context.

And of course yes I was being specific with the example of managing and/or being around very badly paid staff at your workplace all day because it a relevant example of where wearing overt displays of wealth could be considered crass.

Quote:
also "empathy" and "in the face of people who work for you who have next-to-nothing" doesn't make sense. if someone is making a ton of money but paying their people next to nothing how is flaunting wealth in their face any worse and how is that not crass? making all the money off them but not having them know is different i guess lol. do you think all these people who own HVAC or construction businesses have empathy if they don't flaunt a rolex in front of their workers? a lot of these guys are taking home mid 6-7 figures while paying people next to minimum wage for hard manual labor because they use undocumented immigrants who have no other options
Yup, you have a lack of empathy.
Old 16 August 2021, 02:58 AM   #1753
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Quote:
you never said people that work for you. you said "around people who work for peanuts/minimum wage and can't hope to afford such things". i'm not going to feel bad wearing a rolex while going to mcdonalds. i worked for my money and chose a career path that let me obtain one

HVAC Tech's make bank.

I know several with Rolexes
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 03:01 AM   #1754
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
...do you work in McDonalds? Because this thread is clearly (see the title) about wearing it where you work, not where you go out for dining and entertainment whee low-paid workers may happen to be. I mean seriously, yeesh if you couldn't get that rather obvious context.

And of course yes I was being specific with the example of managing and /or being around badly paid staff at your workplace all day.

Yup, you have a lack of empathy.
if you read this thread it's mostly about people who work office jobs or are in sales. we're not talking about people who own businesses and wear a rolex while in front of their employees who are making $10 an hour. also you're talking about reading comprehension but you haven't even read the thread lol
Old 16 August 2021, 03:03 AM   #1755
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
if you read this thread it's mostly about people who work office jobs or are in sales. we're not talking about people who own businesses and wear a rolex while in front of their employees who are making $10 an hour. you're talking about reading comprehension but you haven't even read the thread lol
Yes, I have read the thread. The thread title is asking if people wear it in their workplace, and I provided examples of specific situations where it may not be desirable or appropriate. So yeah, my reading comprehension would appear to be fine.
Old 16 August 2021, 03:15 AM   #1756
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finslayer83 View Post
HVAC Tech's make bank.

I know several with Rolexes
hvac is a great field if you're a tech. i probably should've just said construction or maybe gardening/outdoor manual labor types of fields. majority of these workers, at least here in nyc, are mexican undocumented immigrants that are getting paid pennies

Quote:
Yes, I have read the thread. The thread title is asking if people wear it in their workplace, and I provided examples of specific situations where it may not be desirable or appropriate. So yeah, my reading comprehension would appear to be fine.
my original response was in the context of wearing it around people making way less that aren't working for you. like someone mentioned, you can run into people of all kinds of salary levels that aren't working for you while on your job. best example would be doctors or people in sales, and that's what i thought you meant because a lot of posts on this forum in the past have been how people feel weird flaunting money around others in those fields even though they're strangers. it's an entirely different conversation if you're doing it in front of people working for you that are getting paid next to nothing, and i 100% agree with you there, but what i meant was at that point there's no "high road" by not flaunting wealth in front of them
Old 16 August 2021, 03:23 AM   #1757
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
but what i meant was at that point there's no "high road" by not flaunting wealth in front of them
There is most certainly a high road to not giving people in your workplace, who earn next to nothing (I am not talking professional environments here, I only meant very badly paid workers doing crappy jobs for peanuts), a visible reminder of things they will never afford. We can agree to disagree as it's pointless to argue over such basics. You either get it or you don't. *shrugs*
Old 16 August 2021, 03:27 AM   #1758
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Quote:
Said the Octopus.
Lol.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2021, 03:34 AM   #1759
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
There is most certainly a high road to not giving people in your workplace, who earn next to nothing (I am not talking professional environments here, I only meant very badly paid workers doing crappy jobs for peanuts), a visible reminder of things they will never afford. We can agree to disagree as it's pointless to argue over such basics. You either get it or you don't. *shrugs*
i'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, just saying that there is already an extreme lack of empathy in that case even without reminding them.
Old 16 August 2021, 07:12 AM   #1760
Glidelock
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDC4000, Sub LVC
All these people will yell you to just wear it, or your Boss won’t notice, and even if he does screw him etc. Yet, you may very well be right about your concerns, as only you know just how big of D’Bag this clown may be! As for my Boss…I’d tell him to pull his head out of Arse put his Ego on check. That said, it’s also worth noting that I’ve been my own boss for approx 30 years…so this is a daily conversation between us!
Glidelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2021, 11:51 PM   #1761
rlx123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glidelock View Post
All these people will yell you to just wear it, or your Boss won’t notice, and even if he does screw him etc. Yet, you may very well be right about your concerns, as only you know just how big of D’Bag this clown may be! As for my Boss…I’d tell him to pull his head out of Arse put his Ego on check. That said, it’s also worth noting that I’ve been my own boss for approx 30 years…so this is a daily conversation between us!

rlx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2021, 01:18 AM   #1762
Chambers
Banned

Watch: Daytona
Of course a big yes.
Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2021, 02:48 AM   #1763
Watchcollector123
"TRF" Member

I don’t work much these days but my butler wears his Rolexes to work in rotation all the time:-)
Watchcollector123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2021, 06:10 AM   #1764
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster1982 View Post
I strap a Rolex to my wrist everyday. I dont care what people think.
X2
Most don’t notice anyway
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2021, 06:49 AM   #1765
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Wearing Hulk right now at work and a rep from our vendor was wearing a Batman.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2021, 09:34 AM   #1766
M.a.x.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
why buy a Rolex if you're not going to wear it?????
I agree, I wear mine every day(DJ). If my boss is hurt because I’m wearing a better watch, that’s his problem. I’ve had mine for only 9 months. No one has even noticed it yet.

Wear your watch, you know you want to.
M.a.x. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2021, 10:18 AM   #1767
vfrealtor405
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1985 Rolex Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2010 View Post
EXACTLY!

I don't understand the mentality of buying tough azz beautiful watches that people don't want to wear because they might get a scratch, offend someone, etc.

Jesus people, wear the frickin watch already!

My Wife and I bought her Father a Sub No-Date for his birthday. I wanted it so bad but thought it would be a great gift for the man. I have not seen it on his wrist since we purchased it. Keeps it in the safe and wears his non-rolex watches. Drives me crazy. We bought that for him so he can keep his Sub Date in the safe and wear the no date.
vfrealtor405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2021, 12:21 PM   #1768
1sttimerolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.a.x. View Post
I agree, I wear mine every day(DJ). If my boss is hurt because I’m wearing a better watch, that’s his problem. I’ve had mine for only 9 months. No one has even noticed it yet.

Wear your watch, you know you want to.
Yes! My boss definitely can't care less for jewelry/accessory (let's be honest, rolex is a fancy accessory no matter how much we'd like to think it's a "tool") and he doesn't seem to notice or care what's on my wrist.

And even if he recognizes jt, why would he care. He's got a waaaaaaaaaaaay bigger bank acct than I do
1sttimerolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2021, 01:24 PM   #1769
ugoblue
"TRF" Member

I wear my smooth bezel DJ oyster blue stick dial to work very often.
ugoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2021, 02:07 PM   #1770
Db7566
"TRF" Member

Every day.