The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 October 2021, 05:33 AM   #1
Rybark09
"TRF" Member

Deepsea losing time on winder

Hey all,

Scratching my head here. When I wear my deepsea consistently, keeps close to impeccable time. If I leave it on my winder, after a few days it stops (after reserve depletes). I’m losing my mind here, user error? Winder setting is correct. Watch issue?
Rybark09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2021, 05:35 AM   #2
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

What winder tpd and what resting position does the watch sit on the winder?
Old 12 October 2021, 05:37 AM   #3
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Quite a few of our watches run slower on the winders
Old 12 October 2021, 05:43 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
If you must use a winder always best to fully manual wind first before putting on the machine.And gravity effects mechanical movement the most this is why they are tested in 5 different positions.On one of these machine winder things the watch is normally in one repetitive back and throe position, and not like when on the wrist, so there could be a slight difference on the machine.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2021, 08:03 PM   #5
PhilippeD
"TRF" Member

It goes slower once the juice starts running out. I didn't wear my Deepsea for three days, and in the last 24 hours it lost 15 seconds. As the poster above suggests, just fully manual wind first and then wear it or put it on the winder. After a couple of days, full wind again.
PhilippeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2021, 08:18 PM   #6
Watchsama
"TRF" Member

I think it's too heavy for the winder. Had a similar problem with my first winder
Watchsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2021, 08:23 PM   #7
nGage7962
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 TT Champagne
My Deepsea has not been right since its service 2 years, but running way too fast!

DSSD
DJ 41 TT/Champagne
Tudor GMT
nGage7962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2021, 08:34 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by nGage7962 View Post
My Deepsea has not been right since its service 2 years, but running way too fast!
And what is way too fast.?

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 12 October 2021, 10:46 PM   #9
Ganymede
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
If you must use a winder always best to fully manual wind first before putting on the machine.And gravity effects mechanical movement the most this is why they are tested in 5 different positions.On one of these machine winder things the watch is normally in one repetitive back and throe position, and not like when on the wrist, so there could be a slight difference on the machine.
I’m not sure that is a good idea.

If you manually wind it fully before putting it in the winder, subsequently putting it in the winder will repeatedly activate the clutch that prevents over-winding.

As I understand it, watch windsrs typically wind enough to maintain, and won’t allow the watch to lose wind.
Ganymede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2021, 11:06 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymede View Post
I’m not sure that is a good idea.

If you manually wind it fully before putting it in the winder, subsequently putting it in the winder will repeatedly activate the clutch that prevents over-winding.

As I understand it, watch windsrs typically wind enough to maintain, and won’t allow the watch to lose wind.
First there is no clutch all that happens when the mainspring is fully wound it just slips in the spring-barrel, just like it would do on the finest winder in the world called wrists. Second its doubtful if say you put a watch on a machine winder it would still only top up to whatever was in the mainspring power reserve to start with. And very doubtful if any of these machine winders will ever top up the mainspring to full power. As most are programmed to around 600 -750 turns a day just enough to keep them ticking and thats about all.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 13 October 2021, 08:44 PM   #11
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Hi Peter,

Quote:
First there is no clutch all that happens when the mainspring is fully wound it just slips in the spring-barrel, just like it would do on the finest winder in the world called wrists.

Some do refer to it a ‘clutch’. Probably because clutches can and do slip under load?

Second its doubtful if say you put a watch on a machine winder it would still only top up to whatever was in the mainspring power reserve to start with.

I’m not sure of your meaning but I have used watch winders and they have wound my watches up to full power reserve.
How would a winder know the original power reserve of a watch it was winding?

And very doubtful if any of these machine winders will ever top up the mainspring to full power.

I have no doubt that they can and mine have.

As most are programmed to around 600 -750 turns a day just enough to keep them ticking and thats about all.
Based on the TPD question being a common request for different models most seem to be manually programmed by the user so adding a few more TPD to be sure it winds up could be a common event?

Eddie.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 08:58 PM   #12
nGage7962
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 TT Champagne
Quote:
And what is way too fast.?
Well on same setting on same winder with my DJ41 or Tudor GMT it gains minutes in weeks relative to the others. So ... now that our lockdown is over a visit to the RSC is in order and somewhat overdue.

DSSD
DJ 41 TT/Champagne
Tudor GMT
nGage7962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 09:34 PM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by nGage7962 View Post
Well on same setting on same winder with my DJ41 or Tudor GMT it gains minutes in weeks relative to the others. So ... now that our lockdown is over a visit to the RSC is in order and somewhat overdue.
Have you tried wearing them on your wrist for a few days, or if not needed to tell time on wrist just let them stop, as on the wrist they could be more accurate than on the machine.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 13 October 2021, 10:27 PM   #14
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilippeD View Post
It goes slower once the juice starts running out. I didn't wear my Deepsea for three days, and in the last 24 hours it lost 15 seconds. As the poster above suggests, just fully manual wind first and then wear it or put it on the winder. After a couple of days, full wind again.
+1

Similar pattern in my SD43. In the last day of its power reserve, I see a drop of 5s/d on average, depending on the resting position.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote