The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 11 February 2022, 04:28 AM   #841
BrunoMalik
Banned

The brand is exploding right in front of your eyes and i still see hesitation on this thread. Get them while you still can people.
I think Czapek soon will surpass Moser as well. The Antarctique is an absolute beauty with spot on proportions and wearability. Something you cannot say about the Streamliner. Wears too big and thick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BrunoMalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 04:31 AM   #842
Jimbo
Banned

I don't like the Streamliner at all. I don't understand the fuss. Honestly, I think it looks ugly as hell.

That being said, I'd love to buy an Antarctique if I could afford it. The Rattrapante is amazing too, and I hope they reissue another batch someday when I win the lottery.

One criticism. At this price level, they should really have screws for the links, not pins and sleeves.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 04:43 AM   #843
rag5178
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoMalik View Post
The brand is exploding right in front of your eyes and i still see hesitation on this thread. Get them while you still can people.
I think Czapek soon will surpass Moser as well. The Antarctique is an absolute beauty with spot on proportions and wearability. Something you cannot say about the Streamliner. Wears too big and thick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You think the H Moser wears big? I actually feel like it wears smaller than 40mm since it essentially has no lugs. It is a bit top heavy though on wrist, I agree with that.
rag5178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 04:56 AM   #844
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewatchidiot View Post
I’ve never sized the rubber strap and looked on YouTube for directions but found none.
Same as with PP Aqua, look up YTube direction for that. Just start SLOWLY using a new straight razor cutting off one to AT MOST two 'link'-sections as you can't glue back if you cut too short (i cut too short the first time with my PP Aqua strap a decade ago, cost me $300).

i'd suggest starting with the LONGER strap end first... which is usually the 12 o'clock side.

If you cut that too short, then most of the time that end will still work (or is too long) for the 6 o'clock side so you're still good.

Then do the other side.

Again, i've been there and dumb-arse me learned the hard $$$ way. Don't be like me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
One criticism. At this price level, they should really have screws for the links, not pins and sleeves.
Ahh yes, i see your point. Yet PP does pins. Frankly, i find pins/center sleeve are easier to deal with. Screws are great. Love 'em and have all the tools here. Do my Rolex myself for quite some time. Problem is, SOME PEOPLE (you know who you are) do not heat the assembly properly (or at all) and of course they might CRUNCH... there goes the screw head. Or they slip with the screwdriver and scrrrrrrrach!

Or they don't treat / torque the screw back down correctly, and a loose screw only belongs in your head, not on a mechanical timepiece bracelet that can come loose.

Again, i do see your point, yet for user-friendliness, i find pins are just less problemsome (and easy to source / get out in case something messes up).

jmho
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 05:18 AM   #845
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Same as with PP Aqua, look up YTube direction for that. Just start SLOWLY using a new straight razor cutting off one to AT MOST two 'link'-sections as you can't glue back if you cut too short (i cut too short the first time with my PP Aqua strap a decade ago, cost me $300).

i'd suggest starting with the LONGER strap end first... which is usually the 12 o'clock side.

If you cut that too short, then most of the time that end will still work (or is too long) for the 6 o'clock side so you're still good.

Then do the other side.

Again, i've been there and dumb-arse me learned the hard $$$ way. Don't be like me

Ahh yes, i see your point. Yet PP does pins. Frankly, i find pins/center sleeve are easier to deal with. Screws are great. Love 'em and have all the tools here. Do my Rolex myself for quite some time. Problem is, SOME PEOPLE (you know who you are) do not heat the assembly properly (or at all) and of course they might CRUNCH... there goes the screw head. Or they slip with the screwdriver and scrrrrrrrach!

Or they don't treat / torque the screw back down correctly, and a loose screw only belongs in your head, not on a mechanical timepiece bracelet that can come loose.

Again, i do see your point, yet for user-friendliness, i find pins are just less problemsome (and easy to source / get out in case something messes up).

jmho
Agreed on the rubber strap sizing. I ended up starting really loose and wore it on a warm day to get max wrist swell. Then I trimmed one more link, still a bit floppy. One more link and I was good to go for beach days. I just used the little scissors on my Swiss Army and it was fine. It will loosen up a bit over time as each strap end forms a curve.

I thought I'd hate the pins and sleeves, but it was actually very easy to size the bracelet with the included tool that perfectly positions the pin to the pusher. I find it easier to avoid scratching than working with screws on the bracelet.

Now I just need to order up the adjustable clasp and I'll be good to go.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 05:28 AM   #846
thewatchidiot
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Then do the other side.

jmho

Thanks I’ll check it out right away
thewatchidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 05:48 AM   #847
Sjmoore11
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp II - old & new
Xavier himself showing how to size / fit the rubber strap here:
https://blogantarctique.czapek.com/2020/12/24/1434/
I just did mine this afternoon!
Sjmoore11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 08:24 AM   #848
Bug04
"TRF" Member

Wow, that’s really hitting the request of sample video … performed directly by the CEO.
And, fantastic, Xavier transfers good mood even in a strap sizing video! 😆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjmoore11 View Post
Xavier himself showing how to size / fit the rubber strap here:
https://blogantarctique.czapek.com/2020/12/24/1434/
I just did mine this afternoon!
Bug04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 09:12 AM   #849
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 11 February 2022, 10:10 AM   #850
Jimbo
Banned

Quote:

Then do the other side.

jmho
Maybe it's the watches that I bought with pins and sleeves, but (a) I found the pins to be a lot weaker than screw. Perhaps it was the diameter used, but they bend out of shape rather easily, (b) they don't appear to last as long and can lead to bracelet droop, more so than screws, and (c) aesthetically, I like the appearance of screws better.

I have also found screws to be generally easier to work with when you have the right type and size of screw driver. Anyway, there is a reason why a lot of higher end SS and titanium sports watches now use screws.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 12:01 PM   #851
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Agree thinner pins are weaker than thicker screws. I love Rolex screws, yet it also means a thicker bracelet. The problem, imho, is if a thinner bracelet uses smaller screws, and perhaps my skillset on those needs improvement as I've stripped a couple of those over the years. Will wholly admit I like a bit, a small bit, of bracelet slop. It just feels better for my thin side / wide top wrist shape. My fave bracelet for wearing comfort is the Omega Speedmaster.

Another preference, I find pins very easy to pop out and pop back in. I could be half-asleep without my morning ristretto and still change those. Hmmm... maybe my laziness getting the better of me? So yes, you're right yet 'thick' screws MUST mean thick bracelet.

Maybe the Bvlgari bracelet is to blame for my opinion? For such a thin little thing it's been surprisingly durable. I'd hate to see how small a screw would be used for that. Maybe I'm just getting old and lazy. Plus I change bracelets and bands often, so a system for fast-changing bands is a boatload more important to me. Panerai, for whatever some think of them, at least they do make changing bands easy.

Yet YES a $50k+ thick bracelet timepiece should have 'meaty' screws. On thinner bracelets, I'm happy with pins.

It's me. And if you love screws I'm cool with that.

Old 11 February 2022, 12:17 PM   #852
Sjmoore11

I’ve always preferred screws and in fact have occasionally passed on some lower end pieces purely because they had pin bracelets. I consistently replace Seiko bracelets with aftermarket so I don’t have to deal with their pins and collars. (Although to be fair the microscopic screws on a Grand Seiko bracelet are no picnic either!)

But the Antarctique bracelet is a much different class than any pins I’ve used previously. I’m so impressed by the included pin pusher that holds the links in EXACTLY the right spot! It’s a small thing but makes such a difference for ease of use. Just another example of how well thought out everything with this watch is.

Don’t let the pins deter you. Adjusting the Antarctique bracelet is as easy as any watch I’ve had and the links stay very secure. And as pointed out, the pins allow a thinner, sleeker bracelet.
Old 11 February 2022, 05:01 PM   #853
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

I love it and might pre order the Atlantique but bothers me a bit that the movement is lacking the Geneva stripes, heat-blued screws, black polish, etc. what do they offer instead? Someone mentioned that they are at par with PP and VC sports models but, based on my limited knowledge about HH movements, the established brands have an edge when it comes to movements decoration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 07:20 PM   #854
Schweinwerfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrs63 View Post
I love it and might pre order the Atlantique but bothers me a bit that the movement is lacking the Geneva stripes, heat-blued screws, black polish, etc. what do they offer instead? Someone mentioned that they are at par with PP and VC sports models but, based on my limited knowledge about HH movements, the established brands have an edge when it comes to movements decoration

Its more of an industrial style movement, yet very nicely finished
Schweinwerfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 10:57 PM   #855
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
If AP can fit screws on the 15202 and parmigiani on the pf micro rotor then Patek and Czapek have no excuses. Well we know Patek had screws before then switched.

All things considered not something that would deter me from buying a great watch but it is something I shake my fist at lol
Old 12 February 2022, 12:16 AM   #856
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
...but it is something I shake my fist at lol
Pics or it didn't happen ;-)

(Very friendly humor) Wait, think i found your pic online. So cute too!

kids.jpg

Old 12 February 2022, 12:16 AM   #857
londonpilgrim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag5178 View Post
You think the H Moser wears big? I actually feel like it wears smaller than 40mm since it essentially has no lugs. It is a bit top heavy though on wrist, I agree with that.
I have the Streamliner chrono and though it is 42.3mm it wears smaller than a 40mm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9378.jpg (203.3 KB, 393 views)
londonpilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2022, 04:23 AM   #858
mav3rick
"TRF" Member

mav3rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2022, 08:12 AM   #859
thewatchidiot
"TRF" Member

So I sized the strap today. I had in my mind that the buckle had some micro adjustment but it doesn’t. The clasp was rough on my wrist so I used a cape cod cloth to remove what was sharp. Comfortable now. The only funny thing is I have a fully brushed bracelet and the strap has a polished end link.

thewatchidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2022, 08:13 AM   #860
jcarm981
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5167
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewatchidiot View Post
So I sized the strap today. I had in my mind that the buckle had some micro adjustment but it doesn’t. The clasp was rough on my wrist so I used a cape cod cloth to remove what was sharp. Comfortable now. The only funny thing is I have a fully brushed bracelet and the strap has a polished end link.

Wow looks amazing
jcarm981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2022, 08:26 AM   #861
Schweinwerfer
"TRF" Member

Much better than with bracelet
Schweinwerfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2022, 08:33 AM   #862
stateman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachum View Post
Wow, I didn't realize Salmon dial 38.5mm Antarctiques were available... Thanks a million for the intel!

Anyone know if the 38.5 differs from the current model in any way other than case size?
stateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2022, 09:07 AM   #863
mbalmz

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateman View Post
Anyone know if the 38.5 differs from the current model in any way other than case size?

I asked about this before I put a deposit down and was told it’s the same watch other than size—same movement, transparent caseback, etc.

But obviously haven’t seen it yet
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2022, 09:13 AM   #864
stateman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmz View Post
I asked about this before I put a deposit down and was told it’s the same watch other than size—same movement, transparent caseback, etc.

But obviously haven’t seen it yet

Thanks for the response. Very helpful. Was about to tap them out an email myself but now will just go ahead and order!
stateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2022, 02:02 PM   #865
Sjmoore11

I just sized my rubber strap as well. I absolutely love it! It’s like a whole new watch. Think I will wear it like this a lot.

Old 12 February 2022, 02:06 PM   #866
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

Finally decided to sign up for the arctic blue. Red tip for seconds hand and black rubber (don’t know how dark blue river strap goes with light blue dial, so played safe). My manufacture date is March 2023 :(
So it’s April 2023 by when I can put my hands on it.

Old 12 February 2022, 03:53 PM   #867
mbalmz

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateman View Post
Thanks for the response. Very helpful. Was about to tap them out an email myself but now will just go ahead and order!

congrats in advance!
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2022, 04:28 PM   #868
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyologist View Post
Placed my deposit! Excited about it.

Question: how soon after placing the deposit did you receive the confirmation email? 5 hours later still don’t have it

Old 12 February 2022, 06:32 PM   #869
bibbi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrs63 View Post
Question: how soon after placing the deposit did you receive the confirmation email? 5 hours later still don’t have it

I ordered the 38.5mm version via email. They are overloaded with work. Got a confirmation 2 days later. It is a small company. Still.
bibbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2022, 10:41 PM   #870
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjmoore11 View Post
I just sized my rubber strap as well. I absolutely love it! It’s like a whole new watch. Think I will wear it like this a lot.

Congrats! 100000% agree... get MANY straps and have fun