The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 March 2022, 02:08 AM   #1
MiloDiThernan
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP15400 OR
116500LN for 75% of a 15400OR. Would you?

The Audemars Piguet is on a strap and is rose gold. I’ve gone with ratios, because cash ruins the conversation. But how much better is the AP than the 116500LN white dial? My 19cm wrist makes the Rolex small and my old eyes have a legibility problem. I’ve never experienced an AP, but have several Rolexes. I know it sounds like I’ve pretty much made my mind up, and I pretty much have, but I’d be interested in any views about the different experience. Which one would you go with and why?
MiloDiThernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 02:13 AM   #2
marc12
Banned

Watch: Blue Steel SD
yes
15400or all day on rubber strap
marc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 02:14 AM   #3
bullies
"TRF" Member

I most likely would, but it depends what else you have in your collection. If you have another Rolex then yes. If the 15400OR is going to be your one and only I'd be 50/50 on doing it.
Rolex is pretty hard to beat as a go anywhere do anything piece. From in the pool to out to dinner etc.
An APRO on leather can't do that.

I have a 15400st blue and it's pretty a awesome piece. Have thought many times about adding an OR.

(full transparency, I'm not a daytona fan)
AP 15400
bullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 02:18 AM   #4
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
Prices across the board are stupid. I'd say the AP is a heck of a better watch.
jgottsman11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 02:23 AM   #5
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Do it 100.
Old 1 March 2022, 02:51 AM   #6
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
Royal Oak has to be on bracelet IMO, strap really doesn’t do it justice. Just what I think - having owned both variants.
justdate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 03:03 AM   #7
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Only if it has the bracelet! On strap would pass even though the $ makes sense
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 03:33 AM   #8
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

wouldn't do it for a 15400OR on strap
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 03:36 AM   #9
MiloDiThernan
"TRF" Member

I agree with all these observations. And thank you for all of them. Luckily, I have Rolex and the only reason for chasing an APRO experience is bucket list curiosity. The joy I’ve had with the Rolexes has been very fully exploited and they are keepers. I just wonder if there’s a different variety of that joy with AP. And quite honestly this is my last chance, because I can’t really afford APRO at secondary prices. And I can’t get near an AD. And the way all watch prices are going, if I don’t commit now, then that’s that. I have tried a 15400ST on and I found the bracelet harsh and the steel all-in look a bit brutal. (And why buy APRO steel secondary when you can buy rose gold, albeit on strap, for pretty much the same price?) But I can see why most people emphasise the bracelet, even if it didn’t work for me, because it is utterly beautiful. (That said, the underside of my GMT jubilee bracelet feels very taut and slinky in an APRO way.) So the chance to get an RO, which doesn’t come along often with supply in the UK very limited, had to be taken. The Daytona has gone. I miss it. The RO arrives tomorrow. I’m tense. What if it wears badly? What if my intuition dislikes it? I’ll let you know once I’ve settled down with it because I can imagine that there are many Rolex aficionados who wonder about AP. So, good or bad, I’ll try and supply one person’s initial reaction. But most of all, thanks for the comments. It helps me think.
Old 1 March 2022, 04:00 AM   #10
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
I would buy I much prefer the RO to a steel Daytona. Even more so as the RO is PM

If you have a change of heart you could always trade back for what you want.
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 04:18 AM   #11
Alliy
Banned

Yes i would
Alliy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 04:33 AM   #12
bullies
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiloDiThernan View Post
I agree with all these observations. And thank you for all of them. Luckily, I have Rolex and the only reason for chasing an APRO experience is bucket list curiosity. The joy I’ve had with the Rolexes has been very fully exploited and they are keepers. I just wonder if there’s a different variety of that joy with AP. And quite honestly this is my last chance, because I can’t really afford APRO at secondary prices. And I can’t get near an AD. And the way all watch prices are going, if I don’t commit now, then that’s that. I have tried a 15400ST on and I found the bracelet harsh and the steel all-in look a bit brutal. (And why buy APRO steel secondary when you can buy rose gold, albeit on strap, for pretty much the same price?) But I can see why most people emphasise the bracelet, even if it didn’t work for me, because it is utterly beautiful. (That said, the underside of my GMT jubilee bracelet feels very taut and slinky in an APRO way.) So the chance to get an RO, which doesn’t come along often with supply in the UK very limited, had to be taken. The Daytona has gone. I miss it. The RO arrives tomorrow. I’m tense. What if it wears badly? What if my intuition dislikes it? I’ll let you know once I’ve settled down with it because I can imagine that there are many Rolex aficionados who wonder about AP. So, good or bad, I’ll try and supply one person’s initial reaction. But most of all, thanks for the comments. It helps me think.
Congrats, I'm sure you'll love it
AP 15400
Old 1 March 2022, 04:33 AM   #13
MP777
"TRF" Member

I would keep the 116500
MP777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 04:43 AM   #14
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
regardless of whether or not it's on bracelet ROs are on a different level. i have nothing against them on straps and i think they look good with them but most people emphasize the bracelet because it really gives the full experience. i don't think you'll be disappointed either way honestly, great watch either way. maybe if you keep it you'll decide to order the bracelet some day. post pics when it comes
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 04:47 AM   #15
dmb359
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I would rather have a RO than the Daytona, but would only want a RO on bracelet.
Old 1 March 2022, 05:04 AM   #16
Tensai
"TRF" Member

Watch: all the good ones
No way. But in full disclosure, I don’t enjoy the dated look of any AP.
Tensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 06:16 AM   #17
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Oooof! tough one.. the Daytona is just so easy and worry free to wear without thought, while the RO is much nicer finished and spectacular to look at. While I do love the AP bracelet, i also dont mind it on a rubber strap for easy wear.
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 06:50 AM   #18
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
RO RG is superior, altho I'd get a rubber strap for it as it is sturdier.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 07:35 AM   #19
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

I would!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 07:41 AM   #20
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

If you love it, you can always add the bracelet later.

Enjoy the incoming! Even if it’s just a fling.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2022, 08:35 AM   #21
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I love Royal Oaks and am lucky enough to own one but I prefer a Daytona 116500 over a RO on a strap.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2022, 05:40 AM   #22
MiloDiThernan
"TRF" Member

It’s here

I’ll say nothing. I’d love to hear positive or negative comments. It all makes me think better about the way it makes me feel. Thank you I advance.
Old 2 March 2022, 05:46 AM   #23
bullies
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ll say nothing. I’d love to hear positive or negative comments. It all makes me think better about the way it makes me feel. Thank you I advance.
looks great, congrats!
AP 15400
Old 2 March 2022, 06:09 AM   #24
Jari from Finland
"TRF" Member

They both are great watches

But which one is better. There are many who says that AP has better finishing. But I was wondering how many of AP and Rolex wearers have ever opened the back case or have attended while watchmaker has opened the watch. In my opinion it depends on the current collection which one of those suits better in it. I expect that in the long run those both would be on your wish list regardless of your first choice.
Old 2 March 2022, 07:17 AM   #25
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I also think it looks great on you. As others said, you can add the bracelet and take it to another “level” or wear it on rubber for a change. Congrats!

Tags
15400 royal oak