The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 18 March 2022, 10:56 PM   #1
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Anyone got the Zenith Skyline yet?

Curious if anyone actually has one and hear how it feels. On paper and pictures I have my reservations but can't deny some reviews are making me interested to see it in person.
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2022, 09:23 AM   #2
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

I find the 1/10th second subdial odd and useless.
toolr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2022, 10:09 AM   #3
Eapfep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolr View Post
Not to mention a nightmare to set accurately?
Eapfep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2022, 12:11 PM   #4
2bigalow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I definitely agree that it's odd, but in a strange way it's part of the appeal in my eyes.

Im with the OP, would love to hear some real world, owner generated, opinions.
2bigalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2022, 06:16 PM   #5
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

From the fairly limited reviews and YouTube videos I had seen, it was said that some ADs already have wait list for the blue dial.
Old 30 March 2022, 01:43 PM   #6
Sebast975
Banned

Initial thoughts after a couple weeks of ownership (aside from the obvious Royal Oak comparisons which have already been talked to death)...

1. Finishing is fantastic, the way the light plays with all the angles and the mix of brushed and polished finishing keeps it interesting;

2. Case itself feels surprisingly good on my small 6.25 inch wrists, but I wish there was one more hole on the silicone strap to get a slightly tighter fit; and

3. the 10 second counter is nothing more than a fun novelty that lets me know the watch is wound at a quick glance, and I'm ok with that.

My local Denver AD had a beautiful black dial in stock too but overall pretty happy with the white / silver. But it's cool that you can request any color silicone strap with the watch, so you could play around with the color combinations.
Sebast975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2022, 02:07 PM   #7
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebast975 View Post
Initial thoughts after a couple weeks of ownership (aside from the obvious Royal Oak comparisons which have already been talked to death)...

1. Finishing is fantastic, the way the light plays with all the angles and the mix of brushed and polished finishing keeps it interesting;

2. Case itself feels surprisingly good on my small 6.25 inch wrists, but I wish there was one more hole on the silicone strap to get a slightly tighter fit; and

3. the 10 second counter is nothing more than a fun novelty that lets me know the watch is wound at a quick glance, and I'm ok with that.

My local Denver AD had a beautiful black dial in stock too but overall pretty happy with the white / silver. But it's cool that you can request any color silicone strap with the watch, so you could play around with the color combinations.
Thank you for sharing. I heard it's hard to actually acquire this so I am happy you have been wearing it for a couple of weeks. How do you feel about the value props - is the cost justified?
Old 31 March 2022, 07:16 AM   #8
Sebast975
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardC View Post
Thank you for sharing. I heard it's hard to actually acquire this so I am happy you have been wearing it for a couple of weeks. How do you feel about the value props - is the cost justified?
I actually just got an email from Zenith that more stock is available online. And my AD here in Denver also had a black dial available when I picked mine up.

I'd say I'm happy with the value proposition. In terms of a SS sport watch for $10k or under, I don't see any competion. You get a legendary movement, a complication that has literally NEVER been done before (there aren't many "firsts" in watchmaking anymore), and an awesome quick change strap system. Not that I care about value retention, but I don't see the demand going away anytime soon.
Old 11 April 2022, 05:20 AM   #9
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

I got an opportunity to see the collection and I have to say I'm surprised what Zenith had achieved. Definitely going for the white dial but the blue is probably the most beautiful of the 3.
Old 11 April 2022, 06:39 AM   #10
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
I posted this in another thread, but I'll say that the Defy Skyline didn't really do it for me when I tried it on the other day. Others may know, but I'm looking for an integrated bracelet watch and am HEAVILY leaning towards the Alpine Eagle (I'm 98% there!).

As a stand-alone watch, it's fine enough - but when compared to others, I just don't think the value prop is there for me. I can't quite put my finger on why, but I found it somewhat lacking. This is in no offense to owners of the watch (I know tons of people don't like my Hulk!) - it's just my personal opinion after having seen and tried the watch on.

I know they're different watches altogether, especially with the integrated bracelet aspect, but if you ask me if I'd wear it over my Hulk, GMT or even DJ41, I'd say no, never - which is enough for me to pass on the watch.

Old 11 April 2022, 06:46 AM   #11
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Looks amazing but it looks way too big for most. Would be perfect at 36-37mm and this size for the ones with wrists big enough to pull it off.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2022, 09:24 AM   #12
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
Looks amazing but it looks way too big for most. Would be perfect at 36-37mm and this size for the ones with wrists big enough to pull it off.
In my limited time with it, it wears true to the 41mm it advertises, which looks smaller than the the RO 41mm. I agree if it's like 39mm that would be ideal, but will lose some sportiness.
Old 11 April 2022, 09:25 AM   #13
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
I posted this in another thread, but I'll say that the Defy Skyline didn't really do it for me when I tried it on the other day. Others may know, but I'm looking for an integrated bracelet watch and am HEAVILY leaning towards the Alpine Eagle (I'm 98% there!).

As a stand-alone watch, it's fine enough - but when compared to others, I just don't think the value prop is there for me. I can't quite put my finger on why, but I found it somewhat lacking. This is in no offense to owners of the watch (I know tons of people don't like my Hulk!) - it's just my personal opinion after having seen and tried the watch on.

I know they're different watches altogether, especially with the integrated bracelet aspect, but if you ask me if I'd wear it over my Hulk, GMT or even DJ41, I'd say no, never - which is enough for me to pass on the watch.

Love the assessment. For its price and style I like it, but definitely my DJ41 is a better deal and overall watch.
Old 12 April 2022, 05:12 AM   #14
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Just placed my order 5 minutes ago, blue. I was duking it out between this and the Alpine Eagle. It was a tough call. Ultimately I felt the AE has a more interesting dial, but the "wings" on the side of the case didn't really cut it for me and I'm not sold on the clasp. Plus I rather like the slightly more simple design of the Zenith. Certainly the $4700 delta made that an easier choice.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 05:26 AM   #15
Longhorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: HULK SMASH
The dial reminds me of athletic mesh fabric.
Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 05:46 AM   #16
Easy E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn View Post
The dial reminds me of athletic mesh fabric.
Is that good or bad?
Old 12 April 2022, 05:47 AM   #17
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
Just placed my order 5 minutes ago, blue. I was duking it out between this and the Alpine Eagle. It was a tough call. Ultimately I felt the AE has a more interesting dial, but the "wings" on the side of the case didn't really cut it for me and I'm not sold on the clasp. Plus I rather like the slightly more simple design of the Zenith. Certainly the $4700 delta made that an easier choice.
Congrats! I went the other way and broke my own rule; purchasing the Alpine Eagle sight unseen. Hope I'm as excited when it's delivered as I am now!
Old 12 April 2022, 05:50 AM   #18
Easy E

Quote:
Congrats! I went the other way and broke my own rule; purchasing the Alpine Eagle sight unseen. Hope I'm as excited when it's delivered as I am now!
I know! Its a good rule, I broke it too. I don't have a Zenith dealer in my area, and the closest Chopard AD is not super close and didn't have one anyway. This thread and the one you started on the AE were my final analysis. We'll see how this plays out.
Old 12 April 2022, 05:58 AM   #19
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

There's also a review of the skyline side by side with the blue AP 15500. Dont listen too much into the reviewer's bias but it gives you a good visual comparison of the 2.

https://youtu.be/xJEH8MTbIBw
Old 12 April 2022, 06:14 AM   #20
JParm

Quote:
I know! Its a good rule, I broke it too. I don't have a Zenith dealer in my area, and the closest Chopard AD is not super close and didn't have one anyway. This thread and the one you started on the AE were my final analysis. We'll see how this plays out.
Should be an exciting time for the both of us!
Old 12 April 2022, 06:32 AM   #21
Easy E

Quote:
Should be an exciting time for the both of us!
Did you order direct from Chopard or from an AD? Do you have an estimated delivery time?

edit: just saw your other post. carry on
Old 12 April 2022, 06:51 AM   #22
JParm

Quote:
Did you order direct from Chopard or from an AD? Do you have an estimated delivery time?

edit: just saw your other post. carry on
Haha, no worries.

To be transparent, I have a $4k deposit down with the Chopard Boutique and will make the final decision on Wednesday. I'm driving up to San Jose after work tomorrow to check out the ladies Alpine Eagle that they have in stock (smaller case, diamond bezel...gold); obviously not a one for one with the men's SS that I'm after, but I can at least hold and take a look at the body of the watch. Better than nothing.

I called around to nearly every Chopard dealer and the boutique actually gave me the best deal; most either didn't have it in stock (they're telling me a 4-6 week wait) or wouldn't discount.

Not many options on the grey market and if I have to sell, I don't think I'm taking much of a bath at $12.8k., so I'm happy.
Old 12 April 2022, 07:00 AM   #23
NardinNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebast975 View Post
I actually just got an email from Zenith that more stock is available online. And my AD here in Denver also had a black dial available when I picked mine up.

I'd say I'm happy with the value proposition. In terms of a SS sport watch for $10k or under, I don't see any competion. You get a legendary movement, a complication that has literally NEVER been done before (there aren't many "firsts" in watchmaking anymore), and an awesome quick change strap system. Not that I care about value retention, but I don't see the demand going away anytime soon.

Get it from Oster? I’m going to head in there tomorrow to see if Jeremy has one in stock to check out. Did you get to pick from straps there at time of purchase?
NardinNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 07:09 AM   #24
dannyp
Banned

So is the 1/10 novelty basically an El Primero chronograph movement with the 1/10 counter perpetually engaged and the other timing components removed?
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 08:48 AM   #25
Sebast975
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NardinNut View Post
Get it from Oster? I’m going to head in there tomorrow to see if Jeremy has one in stock to check out. Did you get to pick from straps there at time of purchase?
Yes, got it from Jeremy at Oster. He had a black one when I was there but no other white or blue. I didn't get to pick the strap color but I never asked either because I liked the green. I did hear on various forums that you can technically pick any strap color though...subject to availability obviously. Good luck tomorrow!
Old 13 April 2022, 12:46 AM   #26
Easy E

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
So is the 1/10 novelty basically an El Primero chronograph movement with the 1/10 counter perpetually engaged and the other timing components removed?
That's pretty much my understanding
Old 13 April 2022, 06:23 AM   #27
Easy E

Quote:
Just received shipment notification. Unfortunately for me I'm headed to the airport and that is going to sit in my office until I'm back.
Old 13 April 2022, 06:37 AM   #28
deuxani
"TRF" Member

The Skeleton version is coming in about 2 months I was told. So if the current dial selection isn’t your thing, there is more to come soon :)
deuxani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 11:44 AM   #29
Easy E

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Quote:
That's pretty much my understanding
For anyone interested
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ze...nly-el-primero
Old 13 April 2022, 12:13 PM   #30
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
It's a complication nobody asked for and nobody needs.

Only thing it does is let you know the watch is running.