The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 June 2022, 01:29 AM   #1
Erpin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DRSD
Isn’t it a fact that exclamation mark dial have less potent radium lumes? I am attaching this article from the Rolex Passion Report about exclamation mark dials as a reference.

https://rolexpassionreport.com/316/t...ing-radiation/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Erpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2022, 10:19 AM   #2
1watch
"TRF" Member

My 1963 GMT 1675 with Silver Dial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erpin View Post
Isn’t it a fact that exclamation mark dial have less potent radium lumes? I am attaching this article from the Rolex Passion Report about exclamation mark dials as a reference.

https://rolexpassionreport.com/316/t...ing-radiation/

Yes, exclamation dials had a less potent radium mix prior to the transition to tritium with the underline dial. That said, I would expect a reading in at least the higher single digits if the counter is placed correctly over the crystal. As a side note, the less expensive Radex counters that max out at 9.99 aren’t very useful for accurate readings on ‘60 and earlier radium dials imo.

1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2022, 12:56 PM   #3
LateLearner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513, 16750, AK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watch View Post
Yes, exclamation dials had a less potent radium mix prior to the transition to tritium with the underline dial. That said, I would expect a reading in at least the higher single digits if the counter is placed correctly over the crystal. As a side note, the less expensive Radex counters that max out at 9.99 aren’t very useful for accurate readings on ‘60 and earlier radium dials imo.

As a newbie, nothing I post is meant to be taken as guidance—only as my introductory experiences.

The next level Geiger above a Radex RD1530, appears to be more than $200, some much more expensive.

The RD1530 maxes out at 9.99. Therefore, older watches with significant radium should be measured with a better, and more expensive Geiger.

I purchased the cheapest Geiger, merely to determine whether my relumed 1965 5513 was tritium or radium. Sadly, it’s radium.

Also, taking different readings on video, I discovered how slight distances from the crystal affect the readings.

For me, the owner of an inherited 1965 Sub 5513 with (unfortunately) a radium relume, the discussion about Geiger readings on this forum is underrepresented.

It’s my hope I can help generate discussion and shared knowledge about radium.

I’d like to know what Geiger devices are used when posting about microsieverts per hour readings.

They are still out there.

LateLearner is offline   Reply With Quote