The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 6 February 2023, 03:19 AM   #31
Captainbob
"TRF" Member

Been to the many of the best NY and London have to offer. My top 5…

1. Goodman Mayfair - sensational steaks grass and corn fed from all over the world. Amazing sides which at top notch venues are still sadly often an afterthought. Great global wine list.
2. Wolfgangs Park Avenue - does what Luger’s does but better with less attitude from the staff.
3. Keans - classic chophouse. Besides the steak, great atmosphere although a little claustrophobic.
4 Cut - park lane London and vegas. Great if you like your steak crisply cased and quite heavily seasoned. Fabulous starters and desserts too.
5. Peter Luger - nice but go to wolfgangs instead. Went there as a group of 12 for my bachelor party to a dated upstairs room. Great food but poor service / ambience. Downstairs far better but living on its reputation.

Chicago so good as well, can’t remember all I visited bar Gibsons.

Finally went to San Sebastián to visit the very famous Casa Julian last weekend in August. They cancelled the booking because they decided to go on vacation 1
Captainbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 03:29 AM   #32
Jimmy 2 Times
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Wow, lotsa Naples shout outs! I am not at all a big steak guy. I occasionally pop into Seed To Table to get some of their home made pasta, which is really good. I must admit I have never in my life seen a business make more of a political statement than that place. During the height of the pandemic, we stopped in to get some pasta and realized that we were the only ones in the entire store wearing masks! We didn't go back for a year.

But it sounds like their meats are really good. I have heard a lot about Jimmy Ps butcher shop, but haven't tried.
And that is precisely why it’s always one of my favorites to go to in Naples but we can agree to disagree with it.
Jimmy 2 Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 03:37 AM   #33
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
I remember Blackie's. It was the one of the first, if not the first real steakhouse in DC. It was an institution.

I take it you’ve been there too? It really was a DC institution back in the day. I saw John McCain, Tip O’Neill and a table full of others there one night in the 80s. No one gave it a second glance.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 03:46 AM   #34
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy 2 Times View Post
And that is precisely why it’s always one of my favorites to go to in Naples but we can agree to disagree with it.
It must be quite the moneymaker. The place is a frenzy of activity whenever we've been there.
Old 6 February 2023, 04:10 AM   #35
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHorton View Post
The best meal and steak I've ever had was at Hall's Chophouse in Charleston, SC. If you are a foodie, Charleston is a fantastic place to visit.
I keep meaning to try Hall's. Has a stella local reputation.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 06:58 AM   #36
sgarrity
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Keens n NYC - the mutton chop is amazing
Capital Grill in DC - had our wedding reception there and then our 10 year anniversary party. Holds a special place for us.
Mastros - my favorite steakhouse chain.

Best steak I’ve ever had? Porterhouse from the grocery store cooked over a charcoal grill by my Granddad. I’d give most anything to have another one with him….
sgarrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 07:56 AM   #37
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Kevin Rathbun Steak
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 08:47 PM   #38
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I got to thinking about this more last night as we were at Bhimas and personally, I think some of the best best dining experiences are at hidden gems that no one’s ever heard of.

We can all name top ranked steakhouses or what have you, but IMHO enjoying a great tasting meal is as much about the mood, and the people you’re with as the name on the door. YMMV

Here here!!! My favorite place in Nashville used to be a bit of a greasy spoon named Rotiers. Had to close when the building was bought out from under them for yet another low quality mixed use development.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 01:02 AM   #39
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
We can all name top ranked steakhouses or what have you, but IMHO enjoying a great tasting meal is as much about the mood, and the people you’re with as the name on the door. YMMV
I agree with 100%

Not to be low brow, but in all seriousness if I want a great steak I will cook it myself.

This was a recent, reverse seared beef tenderloin I just did. Quite possibly the single best steak I have ever had. This weekend I did steaks for the family - slow and low on the Egg and finished with a sear on the Blackstone - a little bit of effort, but so worth it.

To the quoted point, who we are with makes a better dining experience than what we eat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BestSteakEver.jpg (80.8 KB, 202 views)
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 01:04 AM   #40
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

A great piece of meat and my Memphis Grill. Beats any steak house I have ever been to.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 01:28 AM   #41
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
I agree with 100%

Not to be low brow, but in all seriousness if I want a great steak I will cook it myself.

This was a recent, reverse seared beef tenderloin I just did. Quite possibly the single best steak I have ever had. This weekend I did steaks for the family - slow and low on the Egg and finished with a sear on the Blackstone - a little bit of effort, but so worth it.

To the quoted point, who we are with makes a better dining experience than what we eat.
That looks fantastic

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 03:40 AM   #42
Jimmy 2 Times
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
Best steak I’ve ever had? Porterhouse from the grocery store cooked over a charcoal grill by my Granddad. I’d give most anything to have another one with him….
That’s beautiful.

One of my best childhood memories is sleeping over my grandparents house. I was very little and my grandma did all the cooking all the time except for this one time I was up very early. Very old house up north and my grandpa was up and made me one of the best breakfasts of my life with apps and everything.
I’m sure the food was a normal breakfast meal but I’ll never forget that meal.

He never cooked me anything again and I later found out he did some cooking in the navy during WWll.
It’s just a great memory I have of the two of us.
Jimmy 2 Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 04:00 AM   #43
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Quote:
The best meal and steak I've ever had was at Hall's Chophouse in Charleston, SC. If you are a foodie, Charleston is a fantastic place to visit.
I'll 2nd Hall's Chophouse in Charleston You can't go wrong with anything on their menu.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 09:59 AM   #44
carwash66
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
I agree with 100%

I agree. Been cooking on our dual egg setup for over 25 years. Nothing comes close to a Prime Tenderloin on the egg.
Old 7 February 2023, 01:48 PM   #45
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Ray’s the Steaks, Arlington Va. sadly, it’s closed. Chateaubriand!
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2023, 12:54 AM   #46
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Waffle House T-bone after the bars closed in Athens on a college Saturday night.

Sent from my NE2215 using Tapatalk
ROlesorusLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2023, 12:00 AM   #47
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
If you are a foodie, Charleston is a fantastic place to visit.
You think? I always go to 86 Queen when in Charleston, it's above average, but most of the other "fine dining" I've found in that town is overpriced "low country" cuisine that I find uninspiring and did I mention overpriced?

Darn tourists ruin it for everyone, LOL.

As for steaks, any high-end restaurant that sources the beef well is fine for me. We typically end up in Myrtle Beach for an annual conference (full disclosure: I hate, despise and avoid at all costs going to Myrtle Beach, but it's for work) and the wife insists that we go to NY Prime, which prepares their meat "Pittsburgh-style" which makes me wonder why it's New York Prime, but I digress.

We went last year on our anniversary, and they did a little extra for us because of the date which was nice. Typical ala cart sides, I got the asparagus, which was fine, but I think it worked out to something like $6 per stalk.

Anyway... my boss called me to question my expense report.

"I see you spent $230 on dinner, who did you bring with you?"

"Just me and the wife."

He paused. "I hope it was good."

I wouldn't go if I wasn't on an expense report.

Last in NYC, we went to some place in Manhattan because Peter's is (IIRC) in Brooklyn and I didn't want to deal with it, and the wife sent her steak back because it was over-seasoned. I thought mine was OK but not worth $90.

I can't seem to recall the name. It was typical NYC, crowded, loud and overpriced.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2023, 07:59 AM   #48
Stud Screw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233
There was a unique little place in Tokyo, I think it was near Nakanosakaue Station. This was decades ago, but it may still be there. It was simply called Western Steak. An out of the way place, reasonably priced, with great service and surprisingly good steak. The decor was inspired by the dude ranch, with rustic knotty pine walls hung with cowboy hats and leather saddles. Just a wonderful atmosphere. It just goes to show a really good steakhouse doesn't have to be outrageously expensive with delusions of its own grandeur.

“Better to have thunk wrong than not thunk at all.”
Stud Screw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2023, 01:45 AM   #49
chronolux
"TRF" Member

1. Marcel Atlanta
2. Chama Gaucha Brazilian Steakhouse (it's didn't survive the pandemic, but that place was amazing)
chronolux is offline   Reply With Quote