The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 July 2023, 10:59 PM   #31
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

They did indeed damage your links, but you're also being overly dramatic about it, and I'd have told you to stuff it too if you'd wanted to record me.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 11:03 PM   #32
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
“Chatgpt, please summarize this:”
So we have input from more than one AI tool, here's Bard's summary:

The author purchased a Rolex watch in Geneva and had it sized at a Rolex AD in their home city. The sales associate at the AD damaged the watch by removing links without wearing gloves and using excessive force. The author was unhappy with the way the AD handled the situation and felt that they were trying to brush the incident under the rug. They were only offered two replacement links, even though four links were damaged. The author is concerned about the quality of the bracelet and is not sure if they can trust the AD to service the watch in the future.

Here are some of the key points from the text:

The author purchased a Rolex watch in Geneva and had it sized at a Rolex AD in their home city.
The sales associate at the AD damaged the watch by removing links without wearing gloves and using excessive force.
The author was unhappy with the way the AD handled the situation and felt that they were trying to brush the incident under the rug.
They were only offered two replacement links, even though four links were damaged.
The author is concerned about the quality of the bracelet and is not sure if they can trust the AD to service the watch in the future.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 11:28 PM   #33
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Wow that's terrible OP!

I have very low expectations of AD 'expertise' in any area. For sizing I've purchased my own high quality screwdrivers and can do sizing at home, complete with blue loctite.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 11:40 PM   #34
Normunds
"TRF" Member

I’m sorry, but can we add more chatgpt stuff?

Contrary to subject of this post, watch was unharmed, unless handling it with bare hands is considered as harmful. Damaged were several bracelet links and screws.
Normunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2023, 11:51 PM   #35
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auric Goldfinger View Post
This isn’t a problem of the actual Rolex service center, it’s a problem of an inept sales associate performing the sizing.
Point taken, but I have heard on TRF of similar damaged done by a RSC.
East of Eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 02:18 AM   #36
rockysw
"TRF" Member

Very sorry this happened to you. Such a nightmare of an experience.
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 02:39 AM   #37
dgr8dude
"TRF" Member

The only time an AD resize my bracelets is when it's brand new. I've been resizing my watches on my own for over 20 years. My wife uses my watches from time to time so I resize them myself rather that bringing it to a store. Rolex is definitely easier compared to Tags and Omegas that I used to own. I had to use a watch hammer and push pin to remove/reattach a link.
dgr8dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 02:43 AM   #38
doublevanose82
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ 36mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I always get bracelets sized at point of sale rather than bother an AD who had nothing to do with it, and so might not be as dedicated to the task.
This^^

These people are in sales and only care about the sale not the extra duties that come with their position like adjusting a watch they didn't make any money off.

I guess it's just human nature. When I picked up my 12633 it was a bit loose and my salesperson took it to the back to the watchmaker who adjust the clasp, never

once did I expect her do herself. It's a Rolex not a Movado at Zales.
doublevanose82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 02:51 AM   #39
rohada
"TRF" Member

I'd rather have the replaced links than the apology, if I had to choose.
Old 29 July 2023, 03:03 AM   #40
ingoodtime
"TRF" Member

I'm sorry to hear of your fiasco and hope you are now happy with your new watch.
Last week, my wife and I were in the mall and I went to see what the mayors remodel looked like. I had on my DJII and she was wearing an older datejust on jubilee with aftermarket diamond bezel. Just before leaving the SA offered to steam clean our watches. My wife was hesitant because of the bezel but the SA said it woukd do wonders for her diamons and cleaning the jubilee bracelet and she was right. Except two days later my wife went to wind the watch and it was very rough winding. I took it into our watchmaker who said they needed to work on it pronto because the steam probably got condensation into the watch causing rust to form. Her watch had been keeping great time prior to this. Oh well, it was time for a service anyway.

Lee
ingoodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 03:20 AM   #41
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I know it’s a crappy feeling to see some scratches on a new watch and the AD should be able to size a watch without causing any noticeable scratches. That said, try and let go a bit. Owning a Rolex shouldn’t be this stressful. Sometimes being a first-time Rolex buyer can be a bit like being a first-time home buyer - the Realtors in this forum will understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 03:30 AM   #42
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
Be very careful who you let touch your watch. Just because the building says Rolex doesn’t mean they are qualified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 09:17 AM   #43
Nice marmot
"TRF" Member

Yes the AD damaged your links. They replaced what they damaged. Move on.
God forbid they didn’t ask to touch a watch you brought to them to size. And to top it off they didn’t put on a glove! The horror! You sound way too uptight and high maintenance.
Nice marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 11:49 AM   #44
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Jeez Louise I’d be pissed too

That S A butchered the hell out of those links. My last PM purchase from my A D my S A let me go in the back all by myself and use the Rolex machine to heat the links and size it myself. True story. Not that it’s super rare for an A D to do that but they did.

Just let it be a lesson learned, get your own tools, and do it yourself moving forward.

Congrats on your new DD.
Old 29 July 2023, 12:02 PM   #45
Pinchy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel019 View Post
Jeez Louise I’d be pissed too

That S A butchered the hell out of those links. My last PM purchase from my A D my S A let me go in the back all by myself and use the Rolex machine to heat the links and size it myself. True story. Not that it’s super rare for an A D to do that but they did.

Just let it be a lesson learned, get your own tools, and do it yourself moving forward.

Congrats on your new DD.
What does this machine look like and what temperature does it get to?
Pinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 12:52 PM   #46
Invade
"TRF" Member

Hello everyone thanks for the replies!! Also kudos to the ChatGpt summary haha. Helps for those who don't want to read the detailed story. To majority of you yes it was frustrating and I don't sound high maintenance with the glove part yea sounds anal but why do they take the display ones out like that ? Why does mine have to be treated any different. Anyways it was my first time experiencing this whole ordeal and moving forward I know what to do now with everyone's opinions and it's interesting to know that I'm not the only one that's had something similar happen.

The good thing is Rolex AD redeemed itself in fixing the situation they caused and that's the best outcome I could of asked for. I will showcase my piece here with some pictures of how it looks. Overall I'm happy that I can finally enjoy my watch and be part of the Rolex community. Thanks to everyone's replies and opinions on the matter :)

heres more pics https://imgur.com/a/tbH706R
Invade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 12:58 PM   #47
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invade View Post
They gave you three pens?!
Old 29 July 2023, 01:05 PM   #48
Invade
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
They gave you three pens?!
Yeah Geneva Switzerland Rolex AD was super nice. Lady even came running out of the store telling me that I could get a Daytona in a few months if I wanted it but clearly had to fly back out for it to pick it up haha. Such a better experience than my local Rolex AD here in the states.
Old 29 July 2023, 02:09 PM   #49
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Hello everyone thanks for the replies!! Also kudos to the ChatGpt summary haha. Helps for those who don't want to read the detailed story. To majority of you yes it was frustrating and I don't sound high maintenance with the glove part yea sounds anal but why do they take the display ones out like that ? Why does mine have to be treated any different. Anyways it was my first time experiencing this whole ordeal and moving forward I know what to do now with everyone's opinions and it's interesting to know that I'm not the only one that's had something similar happen.

The good thing is Rolex AD redeemed itself in fixing the situation they caused and that's the best outcome I could of asked for. I will showcase my piece here with some pictures of how it looks. Overall I'm happy that I can finally enjoy my watch and be part of the Rolex community. Thanks to everyone's replies and opinions on the matter :)

Outstanding!!

Get the Daytona.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 03:08 PM   #50
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
Quote:

Quote:
Yeah Geneva Switzerland Rolex AD was super nice. Lady even came running out of the store telling me that I could get a Daytona in a few months if I wanted it but clearly had to fly back out for it to pick it up haha. Such a better experience than my local Rolex AD here in the states.
Congrats on the DD resolution and soon to arrive Daytona…
You should see if the Geneva AD will let you get the new LeMans or WG Daytona since they will be very scarce.
Old 29 July 2023, 03:40 PM   #51
Invade
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY.. View Post
Congrats on the DD resolution and soon to arrive Daytona…
You should see if the Geneva AD will let you get the new LeMans or WG Daytona since they will be very scarce.
Thank you! I'm super stoked.

I'll definitely ask about it. Thanks for the heads up on those two models
Old 29 July 2023, 04:06 PM   #52
chipotlefire
"TRF" Member

Congrats on the new acquisition. As others have said, just because a dealer is a "Rolex AD" - it means nothing as far as service, unfortunately.

The biggest Rolex AD in NYC provided one of the absolute worst sales experiences I've had. I would never drop a watch off with them.
chipotlefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2023, 05:56 PM   #53
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Sloppy, they made it right, lessons learned.

(Easy DIY)