The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 November 2023, 04:29 AM   #61
cascadez71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Realistically? Emotional appeal. That’s it.

There’s nothing particularly remarkable or groundbreaking (just like majority of Rolex movements) about it. It’s a lemania based column wheel, horizontal clutch Chronograph movement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
It’s about the history plus if you see one in person and like watches for watches, you will know. And yes, it is the same movement from Omega based on Lémania 2310 which I believe was the same movement PP, VC, and AP used. As for ease of service, sure they are an easier movement to service except Omega doesn’t sell the parts. The watch has to go back to Bienne for service. Also the movement is assembled by 1 watchmaker who assembles it, regulates, disassembles, recheck and reassemble. It’s the same old school way of making watches like A. Lange does except I believe A. Lange, PP, VC, AP and other more hand assembled watches have the Geneva seal stamped on it where 321 does not. Also the same watchmaker assembles the bracelet and case so I’ve read. Other watches, Rolex included are assembly line made in that the watch travels from station to station with 1 “tech” doing the same thing. So you got a watchmaker for the 321 and multiple “techs” for the mass produced watches. I’m sure there is other stuff I’m missing which Logo or Brian can fill in as they are more historic knowledgeable about the 321.
Thanks, always something out there to learn.
cascadez71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2023, 05:40 PM   #62
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide13 View Post
Yeah, and you don't have to go back nearly that for for SS sports model discounts. I've said it before but I easily got a 15% discount on an 114060 in 2017. That was right around the turning point, one AD wouldn't discount at all for me then but the other had no problem giving me 15% when I asked.

The current state that seems "normal" to us now has really only been the case for a relatively short period of time, 5-6 years.

I think long term, this will be seen as a blip in the market and things will return to the previous "normal" where watches are available and discounts at least possible on some models.

I do think the road back to that will be interesting though. ADs are going to resist it as long as they can, keeping up the exhibition model thing to give the impression of a level of demand that likely no longer exists, as evidenced by the secondary market prices coming down. I'll be interesting to watch things unfold in the coming year or two.
2018-2020 I got 5-15% on TT Black 40 Sub, old AK, White Explorer 2, ZBlue, TT Rootbeer, and 20% on a 36 DD. Currently I heard Tudor Saudi Arabia stopped giving discounts, which is strange if correct as Tudor is very unpopular there.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote