The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 May 2024, 10:13 AM   #151
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
As said by others but what you like. Had the 116520 Daytona shortly, IMHO too much money for a chunk of 904L SS. Currently own a 3861

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 10:38 AM   #152
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I LIKE Rolex and own more Rolex watches than any other brand….early on in my watch interest days more than 15 years ago, I saw so many freaking young guys with chronograph watches….from brands like Timex, Breitling, Tag, Seiko, AND the Rolex Daytona. I said to myself that I’d never get a chronograph. They ALL look the same to me….flashy, prominent subdials, busyness within the dial. My eyes glazed over…couldn’t tell one from another. your “prestige” is meaningless to me.

On the other hand, aesthetically, the omega moon watch stood out after seeing one. Domed crystal, clean lines, legible. FORM follows function style. I was hooked.

Aesthetically speaking, the moon watch wins big. The Daytona ( again aesthetically) just…blends…into…the…crowd.

That’s how I look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolesor2022 View Post
Many Daytonas have been sold for millions of dollars (vintage). It is arguably the most sought after watch in the world. What Omega watch has been sold for that much? It's THE moon watch right? Surely it should be valued at an astronomical price like the Daytona right?

Omega lacks the prestige of Rolex, not a status symbol, ugly bracelets, too many special editions watering down the brand, allowed a plastic Swatch knockoff, Speedmaster is a watch for a 12 year old or it's a watch you get when you graduate school. A train-wreck.

All the normies can reason their moon watch status blah blah all they want. At the end of the say, they're readily available, not exclusive, and very easy to get. My 16 year old nephew rocks one, you guys can all match him

Yall can riot and bash me all you want but I did not say one lie and I will die on this hill. Ready for the crucifixion!

Last edited by warrior; 14 May 2024 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: Additional comment
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 10:45 AM   #153
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I’m just thankful I have amazing taste in chronos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 10:54 AM   #154
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
IMO, you don’t. Again my opinion. Plenty of people agree with you, I guess. Aesthetics don’t do it for me. At all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
I’m just thankful I have amazing taste in chronos.

warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 11:32 AM   #155
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolesor2022 View Post
Many Daytonas have been sold for millions of dollars (vintage). It is arguably the most sought after watch in the world. What Omega watch has been sold for that much? It's THE moon watch right? Surely it should be valued at an astronomical price like the Daytona right?

Omega lacks the prestige of Rolex, not a status symbol, ugly bracelets, too many special editions watering down the brand, allowed a plastic Swatch knockoff, Speedmaster is a watch for a 12 year old or it's a watch you get when you graduate school. A train-wreck.

All the normies can reason their moon watch status blah blah all they want. At the end of the say, they're readily available, not exclusive, and very easy to get. My 16 year old nephew rocks one, you guys can all match him

Yall can riot and bash me all you want but I did not say one lie and I will die on this hill. Ready for the crucifixion!

You’re KINDOF correct.

https://robbreport.com/style/watch-c...er-1234852416/
Gearjockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 11:44 AM   #156
Lalo007
"TRF" Member

Daytona! Speed master is not even in the same league as the Daytona.
Lalo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 11:52 AM   #157
gates
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc
i have a Panda and moon watch - I don't know why but I actually prefer the manual wind, hesalite crystal Omega more for legibility - I mean a Daytona is a Daytona as has been said - different league but I can read the Omega far easier than the Panda
gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 02:35 PM   #158
rolesor2022
"TRF" Member

Well, most importantly, it’s a plastic Swatch now. Zero respect in the watch community. Zero credibility for its owners.

I owned 3 Speedmasters, including a 1963 Ed White straight lug 321, and the modern Daytona just beats the piss out of those Omegas. In the end, Omega competes with Tudor and Seiko. Not sure whey they drag Rolex in the conversation. (Well, we do know why...)
rolesor2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 03:30 PM   #159
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Skydwelli
rolex superior brand, daytona has hype, omega boutiques are filled with watches. Easy decision
nosignalbmwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 03:56 PM   #160
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
I know this is an older thread... but the OP's remark about the Daytona pricing "going to the moon" was interesting...(and yes gray prices are silly)

Why?

Because I was thinking the same thing for the Speedy. Great, great, great watch, but it was only 5 or so years agon that Speedmaster's could be had in the 5's after customary discount. Now..$8.1K for the white dial. Man, there's been a lot of change in a little time.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 04:10 PM   #161
Ninja Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosignalbmwdriver View Post
rolex superior brand, daytona has hype, omega boutiques are filled with watches. Easy decision
Rolex is by far a superior brand.

I own a few Omegas and the Omega community likes to think they’re competing with Rolex. They just aren’t. They’re competing for the same people who buy Tudors.

Both Omega and Tuder make excellent watches, but Rolex is miles ahead of them.

The Omega 007 stuff is cringe as hell. It’s as if they decided their customer base are awkward secondary school teachers.
Ninja Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 04:53 PM   #162
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
I'll be honest, I'm not used to this tsunami of hate on TRF.

Seriously, do you really have to hate these beautiful watches because different manufacturers make them? Seriously, could you really even hate a Daytona if it had an Omega logo on it and love a Speedy if it had a Rolex logo on it? And what would happen if they merged their ownership? Would you hate both or want both?

Why does anyone HERE on TRF think; that someone buys a Speedy just because they don't have the money for a Daytona? Is this a bad joke? Guys, the hype is slowly ending, today a used SS Daytona can be bought for $16-17k and there are no crowds for it. Compare that to a 45th anniversary Snoopy.

What the hell is going on here?
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 05:08 PM   #163
StanCho
"TRF" Member

Had a 3861 hesalite speedy, just did not click. For my taste, one of those 'looks great on macro but in real life boring' watches. It has a great story to it, it's a cool watch but it does feel like 3k watch, not what Omega is pricing it at.

Sold it after trying to sell it for almost one year, also not a big mover on the secondary market as it seems Omega has priced itself outside of the market expectectations/percieved value.

Now, if I could get the 126500 BD Daytona at MSRP, it would be a case closed, chrono wise for my collection. The white dial I would prefer the 116500 series, after trying both and comparing them.

Let's keep this old thread alive and kickin'! :)
StanCho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 05:10 PM   #164
StanCho
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INC View Post
Guys, the hype is slowly ending, today a used SS Daytona can be bought for $16-17k and there are no crowds for it. Compare that to a 45th anniversary Snoopy.

What the hell is going on here?
Where can I get the SS 116500 for 16-17k USD? :D
Old 14 May 2024, 05:39 PM   #165
Oytun
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712,116500 & Rest
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanCho View Post
There is none. There are some messed up ones as watch only for ~ 18 - but none if you want in a good condition with card
Oytun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 05:41 PM   #166
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I said USED. I didn't give the specific model number, but if you're asking, here are some examples:

https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/dayto...id33973024.htm

https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/rolex...id33434875.htm

And when you look at the prices, don't forget Chrono24's 7.5% commission. So these prices are now on the site where watches are known to be advertised the most expensively on the internet. Now imagine how much the dealers paid for these watches, to whom it is still worth selling them for that much. Moreover, for a long time, because these, for example, have been advertised for some time, but no one is interested in them. Demand for the SS Daytona has become incredibly low on the used market, but this has not yet caught on with the masses.

Of course, it doesn't follow that there isn't still a lot of hype for someone to buy a new one from an AD or a gray, but this level of demand is nowhere near what it was a few years ago.

EDIT: Of course there are several more out there, I just do not want to spend more time to find all of them.
Old 14 May 2024, 08:25 PM   #167
StanCho
"TRF" Member

So, its not possible to find the 116500 for that amount, as I expected. Thank you.
Old 14 May 2024, 08:49 PM   #168
jcdevoe26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Omega really should start using this in their marketing.

jcdevoe26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 10:22 PM   #169
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
So, its not possible to find the 116500 for that amount, as I expected. Thank you.
On the contrary, it is possible, as I have given examples of this. "You thought of something else" is not an argument. But so be it, then we're talking about it being in very good condition, with box + papers. Of course, this is obviously more expensive, so we can really talk about more, even $18-19k:

https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/rolex...id34216159.htm

https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/2022-...id34169143.htm

However, it remains true that this includes Chrono24's commission and the dealer's margin. So I think a grey would buy a used Daytona from you for a very maximum of $16,000, which would have been a ridiculously low price even last year.

In addition, I would also like to add that there are several wristwatches for sale in this price category, which would have been unimaginable even last year. Moreover, these are still the prices at which the watches are advertised, but it is difficult to sell them because there is not much demand for them.

But since I think this unnecessary discussion is very far from the topic, so please allow me to close it.
Old 15 May 2024, 12:31 AM   #170
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
I'll be honest, I'm not used to this tsunami of hate on TRF.

Seriously, do you really have to hate these beautiful watches because different manufacturers make them? Seriously, could you really even hate a Daytona if it had an Omega logo on it and love a Speedy if it had a Rolex logo on it? And what would happen if they merged their ownership? Would you hate both or want both?

Why does anyone HERE on TRF think; that someone buys a Speedy just because they don't have the money for a Daytona? :
I think this is really well said
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2024, 01:15 AM   #171
StanCho
"TRF" Member

Quote:
On the contrary, it is possible, as I have given examples of this. "You thought of something else" is not an argument. But so be it, then we're talking about it being in very good condition, with box + papers. Of course, this is obviously more expensive, so we can really talk about more, even $18-19k:

https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/rolex...id34216159.htm

https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/2022-...id34169143.htm

However, it remains true that this includes Chrono24's commission and the dealer's margin. So I think a grey would buy a used Daytona from you for a very maximum of $16,000, which would have been a ridiculously low price even last year.

But since I think this unnecessary discussion is very far from the topic, so please allow me to close it.
I am talking about 116500 from my first post and you are offering me ads for 116520, so apples to pears but yes, we can definetly close it.
Old 15 May 2024, 01:46 AM   #172
Wingman244
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
I know this is an older thread... but the OP's remark about the Daytona pricing "going to the moon" was interesting...(and yes gray prices are silly)

Why?

Because I was thinking the same thing for the Speedy. Great, great, great watch, but it was only 5 or so years agon that Speedmaster's could be had in the 5's after customary discount. Now..$8.1K for the white dial. Man, there's been a lot of change in a little time.
Everything is a LOT more expensive than it was 5 years ago. My other passion is getting a new pick up truck every few years. 5 years ago - a top of line pickup was MSRP $60K range but could be had in the $50's. Now you are talking $90K and the dealers are adding on $10K in additional dealer markup. I'm still driving my 2019. I think the Omega is still a good deal. Heck, I just checked Zillow and my home value has increased 75% in the last 5 years. In a few years you will be lamenting the fact that you could get a new Speedmaster for only $8,100 and the grey market Daytona 116500LNs were only $25,000 to $33,000.... Oh why didn't I buy that Daytona! I can hear your future self saying.
Wingman244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2024, 01:53 AM   #173
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
This is a three year old thread! Oh, and Speedy moon watch is iconic. Daytona is “just OK for me, dawg!”

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2024, 02:08 AM   #174
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I am talking about 116500 from my first post and you are offering me ads for 116520, so apples to pears but yes, we can definetly close it.
Ah, now I understand what caused the misunderstanding: I was talking about Daytonas in general, but you only asked about a specific model, but as if I said that that model costs that much. I looked back now, and you actually talked about this watch earlier. However I didn't react to your message, but wrote what I wrote completely independently of it. It seems you thought I was responding to what you wrote in your previous post, but that wasn't the case.

According to them, we misunderstood each other. Peace?
Old 15 May 2024, 02:12 AM   #175
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Obviously if you own a Daytona you just buy the Omega as they are very affordable and a lot of watch for the money when purchased pre-owned. Now if it were the other way and you owned the Omega and wanted to pair it to a Daytona (especially THE 116500 ceramic bezel Daytona) then you are in a very different and experience situation.
Old 15 May 2024, 02:12 AM   #176
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Speedy has the win in history.

Daytona looks better, wears better, and has better branding.

Pick what you want, or just get both.
gamingdoctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2024, 02:21 AM   #177
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

For me:

Daytona:
Cons: SS version is hard to read, don't like the outlined circles for the subdials, screw down pushers are inconvenient.

Prefer the Daytona's whose subdials are completely one color. WG Daytona w/ceramic is a unlikely solution (Leman or OF).

Speedmaster Moonwatch
Cons: 3861 at 42mm is slightly big for me and the bracelet is a little too fancy.

Prefer the 321 Ed White version at 39mm.

Hope to own both.
Laine V38 SS - JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2024, 02:30 AM   #178
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I think this is really well said
Absolutely. I don't understand why people think this is or should be some kind of brand war. We aren't 4 year olds arguing about which character is stronger.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2024, 03:59 AM   #179
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
Absolutely. I don't understand why people think this is or should be some kind of brand war. We aren't 4 year olds arguing about which character is stronger.

Yeah, we’re on a slippery slope towards naming watches after superhero characters.

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2024, 06:23 AM   #180
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Team Speedmaster here. I feel nothing when I look at a Daytona. The Speedmaster is understated and elegant in its simplicity. Most important, it’s easier to read than any Daytona. I don’t care if it’s common or ordinary and I certainly don’t care if Swatch makes a plastic version of it, the Speedmaster gives me feels. The only feeling I get from a Daytona is indifference.
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote