The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 May 2024, 05:43 PM   #61
maxGMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBS007 View Post
I finally have positive news to share. I received the watch back from Rolex Canada approximately 2 weeks ago and it's absolutely perfect now.

Understanding that some members of the community have some questions unanswered, I am providing details below.

1) I am actually located in Toronto, Canada. As I was navigating the complexities and characters associated with this issue, I had set my location to North Carolina as a precaution in case forums like these are monitored. I wanted an opinion from the broader community and did not want to be penalized for bringing this issue to light.

2) I purchased the watch in November 2023 from an authorized dealer in Ontario. When I was navigating to a solution, my AD was unwavering that the issue was in relation to the crystal. Specifically, the AD described that the the scratch I was seeing was actually a natural part of the crystalline structure of the crystal (I knew this was BS). The AD also did not have any willingness to explore further, or function as the middle man with Rolex Canada to resolve it. In fact, they encouraged me to bring it to Rolex Canada on St. Clair myself if the issue continued to bother me. I did exactly that, and as many of you know, when I brought it in to be evaluated, I was alienated and talked down to as if I was hallucinating. They allegedly did not see anything. After persisting and showing them videos on my phone, they offered to replace the crystal, simply as a shot in the dark, hoping it would make "whatever I am seeing" go away. After 3 weeks, and being without the watch for New Years, I went to Rolex Canada to pick it up. Immediately, I noticed that the scratch was still there. I was incredibly frustrated but maintained composure and made my arguments and expectations clear. In the end, the service supervisor essentially dismissed me, told me it passes QC, and if the issue bothers me, its $850 to replace the dial.

3) Understanding that Rolex Canada on St. Clair is 1 of 3 authorized service centers in Ontario, I visited one of two AD's that are authorized for service the following day. This is where they inspected the watch and agreed that there is in fact a mark or scratch on the dial. They committed to repairing the watch in house, but later had difficulty warrantying the dial as Rolex Canada stopped it (given they already evaluated it).

4) I am relentless. I went on LinkedIn, found a Manager / Director of After Sales Service at Rolex Canada, and phoned. I described the situation in depth, and was met with an immense amount of empathy and remorse. The individual called the AD directly to have the watch transferred to Rolex Canada, specifically to their attention. I received a call days later, confirming that there was indeed a mark or scratch on the dial and that Rolex Canada would be happy to replace it.

The rest is self explanatory. I picked up the watch and it was perfect, as one would expect of a brand new watch. I was even surprised with a few goodies.

Thank you to all who weighed in on the situation and shared their knowledge.
Nice goodwill from Rolex.
maxGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 06:31 PM   #62
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2024, 06:45 PM   #63
Ivann
"TRF" Member

The visibility of the marks vary between dials, but they are only visible under strong natural light and uv lighting.
Old 18 May 2024, 12:03 AM   #64
maxGMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivann View Post
The visibility of the marks vary between dials, but they are only visible under strong natural light and uv lighting.
Old 18 May 2024, 01:49 AM   #65
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I bought it from the AD, yes, but not second hand. I brought it to the RSC with the belief that the scratches were on the dial. They denied everything and somehow didn’t see anything. They replaced the crystal as they suspected whatever I am seeing was in relation to the crystal. I got it back with the marks still there and no further cooperation on their end. They said they can replace the dial out of my pocket if I’d like, which is BS.

The AD sees what I am seeing and suspects the crystal as well. They are surprised it’s still there if the RSC supposedly replaced the crystal.

So I’m thinking the RSC didn’t replace the crystal (but said they did) or it’s genuinely on the dial and they refuse to be accountable for the defect.
So you bought the watch new from an AD at retail/MSRP? It should have a warranty and Rolex should replace the dial for free. I don't understand the out of pocket part. It's warrantied.

EDIT: I see the situation has now been corrected, which is great, but this was such an odd interaction with an AD/Rolex...
Topspin14m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2024, 02:24 AM   #66
928ktgold
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: what’s next.
Wow that sucks. The subdial hand is sometimes off in some hash marks but aligned perfectly later along the countdown track
928ktgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2024, 05:09 AM   #67
maxGMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin14m View Post
So you bought the watch new from an AD at retail/MSRP? It should have a warranty and Rolex should replace the dial for free. I don't understand the out of pocket part. It's warrantied.

EDIT: I see the situation has now been corrected, which is great, but this was such an odd interaction with an AD/Rolex...
It seems like the AD/RSC evaluated and deemed the dial to be within QC tolerance. This was not accepted and eventually Rolex Canada made a goodwill gesture and replaced the dial foc. Great outcome for everyone. ��
Old 18 May 2024, 05:11 AM   #68
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

Scratch on Dial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxGMT View Post
It seems like the AD/RSC evaluated and deemed the dial to be within QC tolerance. This was not accepted and eventually Rolex Canada made a goodwill gesture and replaced the dial foc. Great outcome for everyone. ��

It’s just bizarre for the AD to do that. It’s clearly a bad scratch. It’s in the AD’s interest to submit a warranty claim because they get paid by Rolex for it. I’m sure it all happened as described, but I don’t get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Topspin14m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2024, 05:15 AM   #69
maxGMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin14m View Post
It’s just bizarre for the AD to do that. It’s clearly a bad scratch. It’s in the AD’s interest to submit a warranty claim because they get paid by Rolex for it. I’m sure it all happened as described, but I don’t get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For clarity - the AD AND RSC claimed the dial to be ok, hence I would be surprised if it is visible at all under normal lighting conditions. They clearly examined the watch thoroughly according to op.
Old 18 May 2024, 10:27 AM   #70
panerai-lover111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I finally have positive news to share. I received the watch back from Rolex Canada approximately 2 weeks ago and it's absolutely perfect now.

Understanding that some members of the community have some questions unanswered, I am providing details below.

1) I am actually located in Toronto, Canada. As I was navigating the complexities and characters associated with this issue, I had set my location to North Carolina as a precaution in case forums like these are monitored. I wanted an opinion from the broader community and did not want to be penalized for bringing this issue to light.

2) I purchased the watch in November 2023 from an authorized dealer in Ontario. When I was navigating to a solution, my AD was unwavering that the issue was in relation to the crystal. Specifically, the AD described that the the scratch I was seeing was actually a natural part of the crystalline structure of the crystal (I knew this was BS). The AD also did not have any willingness to explore further, or function as the middle man with Rolex Canada to resolve it. In fact, they encouraged me to bring it to Rolex Canada on St. Clair myself if the issue continued to bother me. I did exactly that, and as many of you know, when I brought it in to be evaluated, I was alienated and talked down to as if I was hallucinating. They allegedly did not see anything. After persisting and showing them videos on my phone, they offered to replace the crystal, simply as a shot in the dark, hoping it would make "whatever I am seeing" go away. After 3 weeks, and being without the watch for New Years, I went to Rolex Canada to pick it up. Immediately, I noticed that the scratch was still there. I was incredibly frustrated but maintained composure and made my arguments and expectations clear. In the end, the service supervisor essentially dismissed me, told me it passes QC, and if the issue bothers me, its $850 to replace the dial.

3) Understanding that Rolex Canada on St. Clair is 1 of 3 authorized service centers in Ontario, I visited one of two AD's that are authorized for service the following day. This is where they inspected the watch and agreed that there is in fact a mark or scratch on the dial. They committed to repairing the watch in house, but later had difficulty warrantying the dial as Rolex Canada stopped it (given they already evaluated it).

4) I am relentless. I went on LinkedIn, found a Manager / Director of After Sales Service at Rolex Canada, and phoned. I described the situation in depth, and was met with an immense amount of empathy and remorse. The individual called the AD directly to have the watch transferred to Rolex Canada, specifically to their attention. I received a call days later, confirming that there was indeed a mark or scratch on the dial and that Rolex Canada would be happy to replace it.

The rest is self explanatory. I picked up the watch and it was perfect, as one would expect of a brand new watch. I was even surprised with a few goodies.

Thank you to all who weighed in on the situation and shared their knowledge.
I'm glad it worked out and that Rolex came to the table.

In saying that though it is massively disappointing that you had to reach out to the Director of after sales to make this happen. Surely this is some serious training issues or lack of customer satisfaction on the RSC side.

To me spending $10k on a watch and getting this initial service would put a bitter taste in my mouth.

Happy for you its sorted.
panerai-lover111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2024, 05:43 AM   #71
maxGMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerai-lover111 View Post
I'm glad it worked out and that Rolex came to the table.

In saying that though it is massively disappointing that you had to reach out to the Director of after sales to make this happen. Surely this is some serious training issues or lack of customer satisfaction on the RSC side.

To me spending $10k on a watch and getting this initial service would put a bitter taste in my mouth.

Happy for you its sorted.
I don’t quite understand the discontent with the AD/RSC service in this case. OP complained - both his AD and RSC examined the dial/crystal and came to the conclusion that it was within QC tolerance. Nothing wrong with that.
Good on OP that he eventually got a replacement dial as a goodwill gesture, but I would personally never exchange an original dial for a service dial on a watch that’s been examined and considered within tolerance. If they can’t see it, I’m pretty sure I can’t see it under normal circumstances.