The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 27 October 2009, 11:47 AM   #61
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELINOX View Post
This house has been "PC Free since 2003" !
Ha, ha...one of my close friends said the same thing to me less than 2 weeks ago. The reason I'm probably going to give Mac a try when I'm due for another computer purchase is due to the fact that I've yet to run into someone close to me that has made the switch and complained about it or had regrets.

From college roommates, to close friends and family members, everyone that I've polled (that I actually know) that switched to Mac all say the same thing, "I'm NEVER going back to PC." That says a lot IMO. But, seeing as my desktop & laptop Dell's are both less than 3 years old...I guess I won't be 'upgrading' until one crashes big time. Who knows, maybe that will be sooner than I think.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 11:51 AM   #62
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Watch: 16610,PAM. 111, G
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELINOX View Post
This house has been "PC Free since 2003" !

Its justa matter of time !
Trust me I'm the biggest Mac fanboi in this Forum and windows 7 is good. Like I said before it pains me to say that but I will not lie.
Brunotheboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 11:55 AM   #63
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
Trust me I'm the biggest Mac fanboi in this Forum and windows 7 is good. Like I said before it pains me to say that but I will not lie.
its okay, call it a "momentary lapse of reality" !
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 11:56 AM   #64
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
But let me say this, if I had to; I would use XP Pro over ANYTHING Microsoft has out today, including "7"...
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 09:44 PM   #65
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
My sister curses her decision to switch to a Mac all the time. She has her own lawfirm, and using a Mac has really been crippling on quite a number of occasions. Every time I have to bail her out and fix something, we commiserate about how bad the decision was for her to buy the Mac. She had to have it though...
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 10:51 PM   #66
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Watch: 16610,PAM. 111, G
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
My sister curses her decision to switch to a Mac all the time. She has her own lawfirm, and using a Mac has really been crippling on quite a number of occasions. Every time I have to bail her out and fix something, we commiserate about how bad the decision was for her to buy the Mac. She had to have it though...
Example of a specific crippling.
Brunotheboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2009, 10:55 PM   #67
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
Maybe computer hardware / operating systems need to be added to the list of banned topics so nobody gets their feather ruffled?

Old 28 October 2009, 12:09 AM   #68
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
Example of a specific crippling.

There are numerous, but they generally center around webified applications/plugins not working correctly, lack of programs, and printer issues both at home and at the office. I've had quite a bit of fun with Time Machine and her NAS after some notable Apple updates.

Her practice requires her to work with Federal documents obtained from various government websites, and she has had quite a bit of trouble with the pdf handlers.

She's incredibly smart (her law degree is from U Mich), so when she calls me in a panic saying that she's dead in the water - it's an issue.
Old 28 October 2009, 01:12 AM   #69
HDHNTER
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
Ha, ha...one of my close friends said the same thing to me less than 2 weeks ago. The reason I'm probably going to give Mac a try when I'm due for another computer purchase is due to the fact that I've yet to run into someone close to me that has made the switch and complained about it or had regrets.

From college roommates, to close friends and family members, everyone that I've polled (that I actually know) that switched to Mac all say the same thing, "I'm NEVER going back to PC." That says a lot IMO. But, seeing as my desktop & laptop Dell's are both less than 3 years old...I guess I won't be 'upgrading' until one crashes big time. Who knows, maybe that will be sooner than I think.
I'm in the same boat, although I am considering ordering a new pc with Windows 7 today since I'm hearing good initial feedback, it's the "initial" part that's keeping me on the fence. I am long overdue to replace the office computer & $500 for a Dell desktop sounds a whole lot better then $1400 for a Mac. I love the Mac screens but I just upgraded to a 24" LCD a year or so ago so spending on a new monitor would be a waste. On the flip side, EVERYONE I know that has made the switch said the same....Never going back to PC. A number of these folks were sharp IT types as well. Me personally, I've never used one, they look nice but no experience with the OS. Supposedly it's very user friendly to new users. Decisions..decisions..

Speaking of replacing, are Dell computers built with quality components & are they reliable? I have always built my own rigs in the past but it doesn't seem price beneficial anymore so the plan is to just buy a ready-to-run unit this go-around. Not sure who to buy from though, I don't recall hearing anything negative regarding Dell's, anyone have advice they can contribute?
HDHNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2009, 02:06 AM   #70
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDHNTER View Post
I'm in the same boat, although I am considering ordering a new pc with Windows 7 today since I'm hearing good initial feedback, it's the "initial" part that's keeping me on the fence. I am long overdue to replace the office computer & $500 for a Dell desktop sounds a whole lot better then $1400 for a Mac. I love the Mac screens but I just upgraded to a 24" LCD a year or so ago so spending on a new monitor would be a waste. On the flip side, EVERYONE I know that has made the switch said the same....Never going back to PC. A number of these folks were sharp IT types as well. Me personally, I've never used one, they look nice but no experience with the OS. Supposedly it's very user friendly to new users. Decisions..decisions..

Speaking of replacing, are Dell computers built with quality components & are they reliable? I have always built my own rigs in the past but it doesn't seem price beneficial anymore so the plan is to just buy a ready-to-run unit this go-around. Not sure who to buy from though, I don't recall hearing anything negative regarding Dell's, anyone have advice they can contribute?

The parts are very similar. In most cases, the motherboards are Intel manufactured, and the video cards are either onboard, nvidia, or ati for either commodity PC or Apple.

Apple screens are generally good quality panels. Dell and others use the same panels in their high-end stuff. My 20" widescreen Dell used the same LG S-IPS panel that the corresponding Apple monitor used that year, but the Dell had better contrast ratio and won every head-to-head comparison.
Old 28 October 2009, 03:40 AM   #71
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDHNTER View Post

I hear ya...although, it doesn't appear you have to be too worried about W7 as the "initial" part is a good thing in my book. Usually it's the other way around...Window's introduces a new OS and there are a ton of headaches...followed by the typical, "There's an upgrade/service pack right around the corner...then everything will be great." I can't remember the last time Windows introduced a completely new OS and it got good initial feedback.

As for Dell, all I can say is that I've been pleased (something I couldn't say about some past HPs & Toshiba's). I'm by no means a techie/computer nerd/computer snob...I buy the best quality components I can get for the price range I'm looking for.

Dell is brilliant IMO w/ their marketing/website. Sure they lure you in w/ the 'ol "$500 for a desktop" but as with anything, it's always the bare-bones model. They make it so easy to upgrade all the different components as you walk through the order screens...constantly picking just that much better component for "Oh, what's another $100 bucks...it will run so much faster...right?"...by the time you're finished, your $500 computer is pretty close to the same price as the Mac (if not more) and mentally all those components are now "Must Have" items.
Old 28 October 2009, 04:10 AM   #72
Flaxmoore

Watch: Alpha Milsub
Quote:
I hear ya...although, it doesn't appear you have to be too worried about W7 as the "initial" part is a good thing in my book. Usually it's the other way around...Window's introduces a new OS and there are a ton of headaches...followed by the typical, "There's an upgrade/service pack right around the corner...then everything will be great." I can't remember the last time Windows introduced a completely new OS and it got good initial feedback.
Concur. I've been running Windows 7 (first the beta, then the full Professional version) for quite some time, and it simply works. Found every driver for my geriatric laptop right from the start, linked to my home network instantly, and the total time from a freshly formatted partition to the desktop was only 18 minutes.

It even is smaller on the HD than Vista.
Flaxmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2009, 04:12 AM   #73
1000ftSub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't argue that it's dreadful. In fact, that was my point. It's dreadful, yet it dominates market share (largely due to its early market share grab). Even though there are countless amazing mobile OSes out there - WebOS, Android, OSX X (iPhone) - Symbian is still predicted to dominate for several more years.

This is from a recently released Gartner study predicting the SmartPhone landscape in 2012.
Lots of people are still using the Palm OS treos
1000ftSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2009, 04:16 AM   #74
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000ftSub View Post
Lots of people are still using the Palm OS treos

Remember, that's what they think it will look like in 2012. By then, any Palm loyalists will likely be on WebOS. I have a PRE, and it's fantastic.
Old 28 October 2009, 04:24 AM   #75
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Remember that the guy who lead the Windows 7 project was the same one who gave us Office 2007, which was remarkable. He simply has the magic, and understands how to bring in a project of this magnitude. Struggle if you must, but accept the fact that Windows 7 is the strongest and most viable computing environment Microsoft has ever offered its users.
Old 28 October 2009, 04:43 AM   #76
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Remember that the guy who lead the Windows 7 project was the same one who gave us Office 2007, which was remarkable. He simply has the magic, and understands how to bring in a project of this magnitude. Struggle if you must, but accept the fact that Windows 7 is the strongest and most viable computing environment Microsoft has ever offered its users.
I'm sold...my problem lies in the fact that I've got an almost 3 year old computer and don't really want to put any $ into it. Hopefully I can use it for a few more years w/o any major problems, but you never know. With my luck, the minute I spend $ on W7 something will crash w/ my computer and then I'll end up being pushed into a Mac sooner than I wanted...which will really annoy me since I just wasted money on W7. So...I continue sitting here wondering if I should upgrade or not???
Old 28 October 2009, 04:50 AM   #77
chriseskew24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bunches
My name is Chris and Im a PC

And windows 7 simply put is fantastic.....
chriseskew24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2009, 05:29 AM   #78
Flaxmoore

Watch: Alpha Milsub
Quote:
I'm sold...my problem lies in the fact that I've got an almost 3 year old computer and don't really want to put any $ into it. Hopefully I can use it for a few more years w/o any major problems, but you never know. With my luck, the minute I spend $ on W7 something will crash w/ my computer and then I'll end up being pushed into a Mac sooner than I wanted...which will really annoy me since I just wasted money on W7. So...I continue sitting here wondering if I should upgrade or not???
Are you a student? Do you know one who would do you a favor? MS has a deal where you can get an upgrade license for 7 Home Premium or 7 Pro for $30. A couple little tricks to make an install disk, and you can do as you will.
Flaxmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2009, 07:02 AM   #79
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxmoore View Post
Are you a student? Do you know one who would do you a favor? MS has a deal where you can get an upgrade license for 7 Home Premium or 7 Pro for $30. A couple little tricks to make an install disk, and you can do as you will.
I am not...but my wife is in her 3rd year of dental school...so I guess you just solved my dilemma. Thanks - I can't believe I didn't think of that myself!
Old 2 November 2009, 07:57 AM   #80
theloxmyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdu View Post
I must be one of the few people who had ZERO problems with Vista. I installed it when it first came out and everything just worked (Using a Lenovo T61). I know I'll end up buying Windows 7 some time soon.
I'm with you, Gary.

Vista Ultimate on three of ours.

I'm intrigued, though, and will purchase the Ultimate version for this desktop.

THIS thread helped me to decide.

Thanks, all!

theloxmyth is offline   Reply With Quote