The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 December 2006, 05:54 PM   #1
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quandry

I may be the only guy on the planet that has owned a Sub for over 20 years but just has never found it that comfortable. I was talking to an old time AD who's family has been in the business for about 75 years about Ball watches as my Sub tritium is now a pinkish color with almost zero luminesence (sp?). I told the AD that I needed something to satisfy my desire for the brighter markings at night, ability to surf, fly, river, Kayak fish without concern and maybe was a little smaller and more comfortable than the Sub. I also told the AD that I had my eye on an Explorer I, but the retail price of $4200+ slowed me down a little.

The AD advised that in South Florida, (and maybe elsewhere) the SS Sub is probably Rolex hotest seller. He also said he would give me $3000 trade on the Sub towards the Explorer I, or his inhouse watchmaker would refirbish my Sub with new (Rolex)dial, bezel insert, service, polish, etc. for about $650.

Now it is about 3a.m. and other than thinking about going fishing in a couple of hours, finalizing our move to Annapolis, Md. in a few weeks, etc. I am really starting to think that the trade in of the Sub on a new Explorer would/could be a terrific deal.

So, I have, once again, come to the font of Rolex wisdom to drink from the well. What do you guys think about this trade in deal? $3000 for a watch I paid $1000 for 21 years ago seems pretty good to me......but what the heck do I know, that's why I'm here.

Thanks, and Happy New Year.
jim
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2006, 06:11 PM   #2
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
If you like the watch and not the strap, think about going to the NATO strap. That's hot now too. And before you trade the watch, post pics of it here, you may have a $10,000 model!
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2006, 06:21 PM   #3
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
I have an Explorer 1 and really like the watch. On my wrist right now. Does fit better on my wrist than the Sub. Bought my Explorer BNIB from an AD in Hong Kong for $3250. $3000 does sound like a good deal for a trade in.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2006, 05:21 AM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
I have an Explorer 1 and really like the watch. On my wrist right now. Does fit better on my wrist than the Sub. Bought my Explorer BNIB from an AD in Hong Kong for $3250. $3000 does sound like a good deal for a trade in.
But before you do anything, as Robert says, post a picture of your Sub. Some of these older Sub models are very rare and can fetch mega bucks. Maybe the $3000 you're getting is chicken sh!t compared to what you should actually be getting. Post us a pic first...very important.

Thanks - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2006, 08:13 AM   #5
steve-o
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue TT Sub
Concur...post a pic...you may have an infamous "Red Sub"....altogether ...OOOOOOOOO
Old 30 December 2006, 08:41 AM   #6
mrbieler
"TRF" Member

Watch: all about acrylic
I'm pretty sure 21 years ago would be a 16800.

$3k sounds about right for a watch with the wg surrounds. A nice matte dial can fetch $4k plus.

Pictures and more information would make all the difference in any sort of an answer.

There are plenty of experts here. I ain't one of them!

Cursimus Cum Forfex

mrbieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2006, 09:04 AM   #7
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
I may be the only guy on the planet that has owned a Sub for over 20 years but just has never found it that comfortable. I was talking to an old time AD who's family has been in the business for about 75 years about Ball watches as my Sub tritium is now a pinkish color with almost zero luminesence (sp?). I told the AD that I needed something to satisfy my desire for the brighter markings at night, ability to surf, fly, river, Kayak fish without concern and maybe was a little smaller and more comfortable than the Sub. I also told the AD that I had my eye on an Explorer I, but the retail price of $4200+ slowed me down a little.

The AD advised that in South Florida, (and maybe elsewhere) the SS Sub is probably Rolex hotest seller. He also said he would give me $3000 trade on the Sub towards the Explorer I, or his inhouse watchmaker would refirbish my Sub with new (Rolex)dial, bezel insert, service, polish, etc. for about $650.

Now it is about 3a.m. and other than thinking about going fishing in a couple of hours, finalizing our move to Annapolis, Md. in a few weeks, etc. I am really starting to think that the trade in of the Sub on a new Explorer would/could be a terrific deal.

So, I have, once again, come to the font of Rolex wisdom to drink from the well. What do you guys think about this trade in deal? $3000 for a watch I paid $1000 for 21 years ago seems pretty good to me......but what the heck do I know, that's why I'm here.

Thanks, and Happy New Year.
jim
Wait a minute. $650 to service the Sub to bring it up to essentially new condition vs. $1200 for a new EXP that doesn't have the history of the Sub. What am I missing here? Keep the Sub and have it serviced.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2006, 09:49 AM   #8
mike
"TRF" Member

Well,... It's your watch,but I'd leave the dial and hands aloneifthey're in good shape. A dial and hands is about $250 of the service quoted. Rolex service runs about $490 last I checked with the hands and dial in place. For the extra you're getting the Rolex "spa" treatment bringing the watch to as new specs AND the 1 year international warrenty.
As was stated3k is about right on a WG dial 16800, but it is tritium and they don't make em anymore. I'd guess any trit dial will go up in the future as the supply of matt dial dries up.

Ball is a great watch! Any thought about keeping the sub as is with a service and adding something that glows for when that's necessary?
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2006, 01:34 PM   #9
jburson250
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Agree 100% Mike! I think Ball produces a superb product. Robust bracelets, too.

The RSC Dallas statement on my 5512 listed $375 for the basic service and refinish. The new matte face and 3 new hands added about $300 more. Additional charges were for a Triplock crown and tube and a new bezel insert. The total was $813ish (paperwork's in the safe and I'm too lazy to go get it).

Jim, consider keeping the Sub and get it serviced sometime. The Explorer 1 is a grand watch, but I think you'll be disappointed with the superluminova (compared to tritium). I see the two lumes side by side every night. After four hours in the dark, superluminova's glow has left the building.

For something you can read at night, get a Ball or Luminox. I have a 5 year old Luminox 8002 (quartz). It's a fine watch - I think they're around $300 these days.

Explorer 214270.
Sea-Dweller 126600.
Sea-Dweller Deepsea 126660 Black.
Submariner 5512.
PAM 514 Radiomir 1940.
Railmaster XXL 2806.52.37.
Speedmaster Moonphase 304.33.44.52.01.001.
RIP JJ
jburson250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2006, 08:39 PM   #10
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Thanks very much guys. I think I will keep the Sub, have it "full tilt" serviced by RSC, and take NH Jim's advice and get a new Ball or Luminox.

Having the superluminova fade just about the time I may want to know "what the heck time it is", would disappoint me on a $4200 trade/purchase.

I really don't think I could pull the trigger on selling/trading the Sub anyway, we have been together a long time. Thanks for the great advice and guidance
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2006, 12:16 AM   #11
mrbieler
"TRF" Member

Watch: all about acrylic
Superluminova is good stuff. Rolex just doesn't do a good job with it.

Good luck with your decision and post a picture of your sub!

Cursimus Cum Forfex

mrbieler is offline   Reply With Quote