The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 26 February 2010, 08:32 AM   #1
ayecarumba
"TRF" Member

Watch: the one I'm wearin
Other watches make movies, The Air King makes...history!

Paul’s Rolex Air-King review Copyright © 2010 AVG. All Rights Reserved.

There are many more who know a lot more about the history and technical details of the Rolex Air King. I share only my impressions about this beautiful and classic watch. I’ll leave you to discover the finer details and history with those more knowledgeable than I. You will also notice that I am not a professional watch photographer. Pictures were either taken with my IPhone or a point and shoot Nikon.

One of the original fighter pilots watches.

The magic of flight and airplanes are one of humanity's few modern inventions that still fascinate and evoke wonder. What boy hasn’t seen an airplane pass overhead without imagining himself at the controls? Even many of us grown-ups daydream about being a fighter pilot.

Pilots relax while waiting for the alert....

Enemy aircraft inbound! Scramble!

Heroics are an important part of the humanity’s story. The founder of Rolex, Hans Wilsdorf recognized this.
Wilsdorf, became a man of significant wealth and accomplishment. He is a hero of sorts to many fans of horology. And Wilsdorf, in turn, admired the endeavors of the pilots who wore his Oyster watches to war. These were Wilsdorf's personal heroes. There are stories about allied POWs who were able to request and receive a Rolex watch while imprisoned. Often, these watches were accompanied by a handwritten note of thanks from Hans Wilsdorf himself.
http://www.timezone.com/library/extras/200704246126

Beautiful contrails over St Paul's Catherdral bely the horrific battle taking place overhead...

Children look up from their air raid trench as the battle rages overhead...

Then there is the lore concerning the origin of the Air King. From what I’ve gleaned, Hans Wilsdorf came to be aware that many WW II RAF pilots preferred and wore his Oyster watches. They were large (for their day!), rugged, simple, and waterproof (handy if your day might include a dip in the English Channel in the event you were shot down!).

In homage to these pilots, Wilsdorf purportedly named several Oyster lines with names like Air Lion, Air Tiger, Air Giant, and Air King. The line evolved over time and incorporated several improvements (automatic/perpetual movements), and design changes. It, however, always retained its simple elegance and legibility.

A WWII Luftwaffe pilot with the squadron mascot..."Air-Cub?"

Today, only the Air King survives. It’s name a silent witness and living tribute. In it there is both horologic history and human epic.

I must admit I had to let the Air King grow on me. When I first saw it, I didn't get it. Was it named for some little airplane? I was familiar with the small twin engine"Beech King Air." and thought "What's the connection?" (None!) It seemed so small compared to the watches I was wearing and looking at! There wasn't even a date?! Who would want one of these things?

Thanks to the many here on TRF who have provided such thoughtful and informative posts/links I came to finally learn of this humble timepiece and its rich history. As a pilot myself, I now wince at my once uninformed opinions about this quiet gem in Rolex's collection.

I love the simplicity of the face. No bells, no whistles, not even a date window. To some this would be a showstopper. I try to imagine a day in the life of your average WWII RAF pilot. During a time when the average life expectancy of a combat pilot was measured in months and days (at best), I suppose there was no tremendous need for a date. I wouldn’t want that reminder of my mortality. I suppose I would just need to know what time the chow hall was open or the bar was closing! Dates be damned.
The simple tapered rectangular hands fit the dial nicely. I do admit it makes the readability difficult at times or in low light. Silver hands on the silver face sometimes require another split second glance to read. This is an historic heritage piece, not a current piece of wartime equipment.

There is no lume on this model. It is a “…day VFR fighter…” just like its WWII battle heritage. Before the era of night vision goggles and GPS, war was predominantly a daylight affair. “Lume?” I could imagine them saying “That’s what your torch (flashlight) is for!” One Navy pilot who was asked why night carrier landings were difficult and seemed so scary to even seasoned Navy fliers said “Because it’s dark!”

Fighter pilots paint their victories on the side of their airplane. It is a testament to their technical skill and expertise – their trophy. Rolex displays their COSC certification on the dial face in a similar manner. The finely raised rings show a technical precision and geometry upon which it states “ROLEX” and right below “Air-King.”

The simple, day glow orange Arabic numerals are large, clear, and legible. In heraldry, orange is symbolic of strength and endurance. The only exceptions are the 12 and 6 o’clock markers. The 12 is a beautifully polished raised crown. The 6 is also raised and polished silver. The 12 being the apex of the face seems a fitting place for the Rolex Crown. “12 O’Clock High.” But what are we to make of the 6? Why this too? It could simply be symmetry or aesthetics, but I also entertain another theory:

Fighter pilots use the “clock” system of relative bearing to orient their wingmen onto targets. To say “Bogies at my 3 O’Clock” would correspond to targets directly to their right. Of supreme importance to the fighter pilot is the most vulnerable position: that area directly behind them. That area is the 6 O’Clock position. Could Rolex be evoking this by raising the 6 off the face? “Check 6!” it says. These are words fighter pilots live or die by and whatever the reason, this numeral is not overlooked and afforded it’s own special treatment. This seems fitting.
The smooth rounded bezel lifts the face nicely from the body of the watch case. Next to the crown, it is the only shiny element on the case. The flat sapphire glass crystal is slightly raised above the bezel edge. This could cause the inadvertent nick or two which I’ve already seen and is a minus on the daily wear ruggedness scale.

I know by modern standards its size is downright small. But back in it’s day, it was considered large. Kudos to Rolex for staying true to the original and resisting the current trend toward the ever larger watch. Have you ever seen a real Spitfire or Japanese Zero next to an F-14 or any modern fighter?

(L to R) F-22 Raptor, P-51 Mustang, F-15 Eagle...
David meet Goliath! Just as in the Old Testament, the meek and humble David slew the giant whose size and might were no match for David’s simple skills and knowledge. King David meet the Air-King!
There will never be another air war that produces as many pilots or aces as WWII did. Bigger doesn’t always mean better. An antique Ferrari or Porsche cannot match the speed or performance of its newer descendants. But we still love them and can appreciate both for what they are. And for me, that’s what the Air King is all about.
I have small wrists (about 7”/18cm) so the Air King wears well for me whether I choose to wear it on the outside of my wrist or the inside. The band retains the rugged simplicity of the watch. There are no polished links or shiny clasps. Even the customary Rolex Crown on the clasp is subdued. It is stamped/molded into the band, rather than being raised or a separate welded piece.
I do miss the expandable link feature that my GMT IIC has. I don’t know why they wouldn’t do this on ALL of their redesigned bracelets. I also miss the locking clasp mechanism, which makes the bracelet a bit less secure. One wrong catch of the clasp flip on the Air King and it could be heading to the floor, or worse, the depths of the briny deep. Highly unlikely, but still possible.

Despite having the twinlock crown, it has the same water resistance of the GMT IIC at 100 meters/330 feet. Suffice it to say that this is not nor was it meant to be a Rolex’s diver watch. But at least it can handle a dip in the water if that happens.

So there you have it. I love it’s history, simplicity, and heritage. I hope the Air King remains in production and continues to be refined and updated while retaining its essential elements. I believe Rolex has done this with the latest models. If you enjoy history and aviation, this is one you want to consider owning!

Rolls Royce 1949 tribute to the pilots who flew in the Battle of Britain. The inscription reads: "This window commemorates the Pilots of the Royal Air Force who in the Battle of Britain turned the work of our hands into the salvation of our Country."

Thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed it. –Paul

The Battle of Britain Historical Society page is here:
http://www.battleofbritain1940.net/0001.html

"Whether we wake or we sleep, Whether we carol or weep, The Sun with his planets in chime,
Marketh the going of Time." --Edward Fitzgerald

Last edited by padi56; 29 September 2010 at 02:18 AM..
ayecarumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2010, 10:07 AM   #2
rfknauss
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513 Sub, LV Sub
Paul, thank you very much for putting together the history of the Air King. I really found it very fascinating! Well done and congratulations on your watch.

"Few things in life give man as great a pleasure as wearing a Rolex!"

TRF's "AFTER DARK" Bar & NightClub Patron
rfknauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2010, 11:09 AM   #3
goduke1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 72' Rolex Air King
OBravo! Well written post. A lot of history indeed. One of Rolexs longest running model.
Old 26 February 2010, 12:10 PM   #4
jatco

Watch: 116233/79190
Outstanding !! -
Excellent piece of history, insight and interest.(IMO). - coming from a fledgling in aeronautics.!
I think, if I may, with your permission, pass this on to some of our members of the http://www.quartercenturyclub.ca/about-us.html
Many members were either previous commercial, bush and/or fighter pilots with many tales to tell. - Along with the members of the Air Canada (etal) http://www.pionairs.ca/ who have been in the aviation business for longer than I have been on this Earth. This may be of interest to them as well. (or anyone else who was part of this Canadian history...).
This was an excellent piece of 'history' that should be passed along to all those who have served our countries well...
Who, would ever think, that a 'watch' could be so crutial in achieving what was so necessary, in times of peril.!
Some of these 'Elite's may have had 'Air Kings's' - yet other's may not have been so fortunate, but the fact remains, that they are, with us, to tell their tales.
That is the history of aeronatics in its infantcy. (as we know it know).
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2010, 12:54 PM   #5
ayecarumba
"TRF" Member

Icon14 Glad you enjoyed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatco View Post
Outstanding !! -
Excellent piece of history, insight and interest.(IMO). - coming from a fledgling in aeronautics.!
I think, if I may, with your permission, pass this on to some of our members of the http://www.quartercenturyclub.ca/about-us.html
Many members were either previous commercial, bush and/or fighter pilots with many tales to tell. - Along with the members of the Air Canada (etal) http://www.pionairs.ca/ who have been in the aviation business for longer than I have been on this Earth. This may be of interest to them as well. (or anyone else who was part of this Canadian history...).
This was an excellent piece of 'history' that should be passed along to all those who have served our countries well...
Who, would ever think, that a 'watch' could be so crutial in achieving what was so necessary, in times of peril.!
Some of these 'Elite's may have had 'Air Kings's' - yet other's may not have been so fortunate, but the fact remains, that they are, with us, to tell their tales.
That is the history of aeronatics in its infantcy. (as we know it know).
Hi Thomas,

YES! Please do! I would by only too humbled and appreciative! Thanks for your kind words.
Cheers!

--Paul

"Whether we wake or we sleep, Whether we carol or weep, The Sun with his planets in chime,
Old 27 February 2010, 07:32 AM   #6
Yazo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
This thread was needed BIG TIME. Thanks so much for putting it together Paul, IMHO the rich history of the AK is bar none, and the reason why it was my 1st Rolex purchase. Thanks again for putting this out there for all to see/read - oh and STUNNING shots of your new AK... absolutely LOVE that dial!!!
Yazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2010, 08:01 AM   #7
Kapture1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω 3570.50.00
Love the history behind the AK. Thanks for the write-up. And to all the AK fans out there.

Wash out this tired notion that the best is yet to come
Kapture1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2010, 03:12 AM   #8
jon84gt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gmt master II
Nice Paul! Way to go, well written and very informative. I have a very interesting story that I heard a few months ago from an old WW2 pilot that I would like to share involving a missing British pilot that was found a few years ago at the bottom of a lake. When I get some time I am going to sit down and make a post about it on here, it is very lengthy to say the least. I also will tell about the amazing survival of his rolex watch (of course) when I find out a few more details. Jon
NAWCC member
jon84gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2010, 06:33 AM   #9
diversified
"TRF" Member

Paul, The photos of St. Pauls Cathedral and the children in the trench are some pretty sobering photos. Great job!
diversified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2010, 04:06 PM   #10
Jun Cajayon

Watch: Milgauss
Fantastic review Paul. Well written and nicely pieced together to highlight an often overlooked piece in the Rolex line up. The Air King has so much history behind it and you captured it perfectly. Makes me love mine more.

Cheers and hope you can do this same excellent work with your other Rolex
Jun Cajayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2010, 01:58 PM   #11
MitchSteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Rolex
Quote:
I must admit I had to let the Air King grow on me. When I first saw it, I didn't get it. Was it named for some little airplane? I was familiar with the small twin engine Cessna "King-Air" and thought "What's the connection?" (None!) It seemed so small compared to the watches I was wearing and looking at! There wasn't even a date?! Who would want one of these things?

Thanks to the many here on TRF who have provided such thoughtful and informative posts/links I came to finally learn of this humble timepiece and its rich history. As a pilot myself, I now wince at my once uninformed opinions about this quiet gem in Rolex's collection.
Cool write up Paul.But King Air is built by Beechcraft, not Cessna.

Probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival---Capt. Rage

Don't believe anything in aviation, 'till V1---Mitch Danger Steel
MitchSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2010, 08:09 AM   #12
Yazo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex

Yazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2010, 12:55 AM   #13
ral

My own version of the history of the Air King:

By the beginning of World War II, Rolex watches had already acquired a reputation for reliability and durability so that many British and Canadian military officers acquired Rolex watches to replace their inferior standard-issue watches.

At the time Rolex use to name its watches with names like Cellini, Prince, Royal and Viceroy. Hans Wilsdorf, founder of Rolex, decided to market watches targeted at the Allied military, and mainly military pilots. Among these was the Rolex Hurricane (named after the British fighter plane, the Hawker Hurricane), Sky-Rocket, Victory, Air Tiger, Air Lion, Air Giant and Air King.

Unlike 55 mm IWC's Large 52 S.C. Calibre Pilot's Watch designed for the Luftwaffe, which was designed for maximum visibility, the watches Rolex created for the military ranged in sizes from 29.5 mm to 33 mm. The smaller 29.5 mm watches, like many Allied military issue watches were designed to be small to reduce the chance of damaging them by inadvertent contact. The smaller case, allows the watch to safely be shielded by the width of the wrist.

These watches all used the reliable 10.5 hunter manual wind movement with 15 jewels. Ultimately, after the war, these line of watches were not so popular and were dropped from the Rolex catalog. The only survivor from this series in the Rolex Air King.
ral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2010, 01:04 PM   #14
bewithabob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona Meteorite
This is wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

116509 Daytona Meteorite, 116520 Daytona Black, 116710 GMTIIC, 16013 DATEJUST,
CARTIER SANTOS 100 W20090X8, IWC Big Pilot, IWC Top Gun

"Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end."
bewithabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2010, 04:38 AM   #15
mpkRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi & Starbucks
Excellent write up Paul
I honestly did not know the history of AK until I read your post. Thanks a ton!

"Rolex is highly addictive. Please shop responsibly"
mpkRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2010, 12:49 PM   #16
ayecarumba
"TRF" Member

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchSteel View Post
Cool write up Paul.But King Air is built by Beechcraft, not Cessna.
Mitch,

THANKS! You are 100% correct and I noticed this also along with a few other spelling/punctuation/typos but didn't see a way to edit the original post. I appreciate you pointing that out. My wife says I shouldn't drink beer and write reviews at the same time anymore!

--Paul

Here's a pic of the Beechcraft King Air 350, an 11 passenger business aircraft:

Old 18 March 2010, 02:52 PM   #17
davidoff
"TRF" Member

Hi Paul,

Great work and research, I learn something today!

Thank you
davidoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2010, 09:09 PM   #18
chrislkb
"TRF" Member

Watch: out kiddo!
Icon14

Thanks Paul for the great writeup and pixs research!
Old 19 March 2010, 12:51 AM   #19
MitchSteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Rolex
Quote:
Here's a pic of the Beechcraft King Air 350, an 11 passenger business aircraft:
Thats the Cadillac of business turboprops, the one i take to work everyday.

Probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival---Capt. Rage

Don't believe anything in aviation, 'till V1---Mitch Danger Steel
MitchSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2010, 06:07 AM   #20
clairetoots
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King
Icon6

Read with interest your article - excellent write up and research.

I didn't know the history of the AK so I've learnt a lot.

Superb wrist shot of your AK - love the colour scheme, really makes a statement.
clairetoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2010, 04:41 AM   #21
Jinder
Banned

Watch: 116713
My father has a old Air King Date. I'll post pics soon
Jinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2010, 01:25 PM   #22
jatco

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinder View Post
My father has a old Air King Date. I'll post pics soon
Look foward to that...- for sure..!!

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2010, 08:31 AM   #23
Tsuami

Watch: 18238 DD
Beautiful read and i have been eyeing a Air King, do rolex carry a gold version of this piece!!!!!
Tsuami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2010, 09:22 AM   #24
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
Thanks for the writeup, lots of good information.

buz-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2010, 03:18 AM   #25
ayecarumba
"TRF" Member

Icon14 Edits'n'updates...

Thanks all for your kind words and glad you enjoyed the write up!

I just wanted to take a moment to say THANKS to ADMIN/MOD Peter (Padi56) for helping me make a few corrections and link updates to this review.

Cheers to all!

--Paul
"ayecarumba"

Old 18 October 2010, 10:12 AM   #26
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
According to my sources, the US Air Force is now training more UAV pilots than aircraft pilots and that the F-35 will probably be the last of the manned fighters.

Personally, I think that the idea of removing humans from the war equation has been tried before and will fail for the same reasons it has failed in the past.

We'll definitely see more robotics in future warfare, but nothing has ever taken the place of boots on the ground or eyes in the sky, but that's just my perspective.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2010, 10:38 AM   #27
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
Great write up Paul...enjoyed reading it.

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2010, 08:56 PM   #28
Rolex tom
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex,seiko,Omega
great post and good info
Rolex tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2010, 02:19 AM   #29
Siddhartha Roy

Watch: DDYG,DDWG,YMSG MOP
Superb write up. Really, really enjoyed reading it.
Siddhartha Roy is offline   Reply With Quote