The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 19 July 2011, 10:35 AM   #31
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
I have a dual from Wolf Designs and I am very happy with it. I highly recommend it. Bought it from them last year from their web site.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2011, 10:39 AM   #32
Sherwooddavid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Orbita is the right way to go.

www.orbita.com
Agree,go with orbita.
Sherwooddavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2011, 12:44 PM   #33
Power Play
"TRF" Member

Orbita Sparta

We've had great success with Orbita Sparta Open winders. Now have 3, each with 2 Rolexes. They work great, are nearly silent and have had great service from Orbita when one went bad. Great prices on internet. We keep them in a cabinet; very stealth, no audible noise, cost-effective. Just MHO.

Power Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2011, 04:03 PM   #34
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbill2mrbill2 View Post
I have the dual version. It works great. While it does not have the "fine" wood finish of some other more expensive, extremely more expensive, brands I don't care. It is in the safe where expensive watches belong.

Why would you put watches worth thousands in a thousand dollar winder on your dresser?

Are you crazy? I don't care what type of alarm system you have for your dwelling. Any two-bit thief can clean you out before the police arrive. And, you supplied a thousand dollar carrying case!
I don't have and alarm and I keep mine on my desk without a worry in the world plus I live in NYC.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2011, 07:01 PM   #35
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPLGT View Post
Please enlighten us, master. If I do not wear my Rolex for a week, I do not want the time to stop....THAT is the point. Why not use one??
Why not its quite simple to reset time and even the date if needed,it must take all of 30 seconds to do.And believe it or not thats why Rolex still have a winding crown on there watches.And you will do no harm whatsoever in winding your watches after all thousand or even millions on manual wind Rolex with screw down crowns get wound almost daily for decades.And the only natural wear I want on any of my Rolex watches. Is while they are on the best winder in the world my wrist, thats what Rolex watches were designed for.And yes I know now that Rolex have there own branded winder but again watch winders in most cases = big ££££$$$$ for in reality very little product cost.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2011, 09:46 PM   #36
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
why not its quite simple to reset time and even the date if needed,it must take all of 30 seconds to do.and believe it or not thats why rolex still have a winding crown on there watches.and you will do no harm whatsoever in winding your watches after all thousand or even millions on manual wind rolex with screw down crowns get wound almost daily for decades.and the only natural wear i want on any of my rolex watches. Is while they are on the best winder in the world my wrist, thats what rolex watches were designed for.and yes i know now that rolex have there own branded winder but again watch winders in most cases = big ££££$$$$ for in reality very little product cost.
x2

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2011, 08:48 AM   #37
quomofo
"TRF" Member

I have a relatively inexpensive watch winder I bought from Brookstone and I love it. It looks very classy and is good quality. The best part is that you can't hear the motor when it's winding.
quomofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2011, 06:33 PM   #38
Ironstark
TechXpert

Watch: SS/W Skydweller
Have to agree totally with Padi56. For a normal (non perpetual calender) automatic watch, a watch winder is of no real use. Rolex watches are easy to set the time and date/day on. They are easy to wind manually if they stop so why keep it running all of the time? If you are lucky enough to have more than one watch then apart from the obvious benefit of having a choice of what to wear, you have the added benefit of having a choice to split the "internal wear" over the watches you own as well, possibly allowing for longer service intervals!
Think of it another way, most of us have another mechanical device which we store when not in use, our cars.
Who here would ever think of storing their cars in a garage with the enging running?
All watch winder does is look good (if thats your thing) save you having to reset/wind the watch (not a chore on a Rolex) and in reality cause extra wear, particularly in the automatic device and the barrel which contains the mainspring.
They were originally intended for perpetual calender watches where resetting the date is more complicated. Manufacturers then spotted they could sell them to any watch owner who was willing to buy one. Yes Rolex produce one and like all the other companies who do so, they do it to make money.
Do you need one? No. Will it add to the wear of the watch? Yes. Would I buy one? No. If you like them and want one, buy one. It does have one benefit for those of us who service your watches, they will need servicing more regularly.
I'd much rather put the money towards another watch!!
Ironstark is offline   Reply With Quote