The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 December 2011, 12:43 PM   #31
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Most of the time the customer buys a watch out of the display case. On occassion the AD may have back stock of a particular model.
Vistit one or more AD's a few times before buying a watch. This helps you to be sure about which model you like, and also lets the AD know you are a real buyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPAWatchFan View Post
I have just passed my cpa exam and I'm about to buy my first rolex and I'm worried about getting a lemon. Do ADs re-sell returned watches. How about if I try to get them to discount. When you buy a watch, do they give you one that was in the case or do they have them in back. Is there anything else I should know?

Posted from my IPhone...
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2011, 03:16 PM   #32
Holdout

If you're going to go with an AD, then yes you need to go to Delaware, home of Tax Free Shopping.
Holdout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2011, 03:32 PM   #33
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Geez if you have the money now I would just go ahead and chech out a few AD's and bring cash...money talks!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2011, 04:25 PM   #34
Paris92
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master IIc
Last ADs I visited were in Hawaii whilst I was on vacation in July. I was told many of the sport and other popular models are only trickling into the US now, and other countries, due to the huge popularity and demand in China. Rolex can't make enough to satisfy the demand there. I like the idea of the tax-free purchase in DE. Is there an AD there? Would think the surrounding states ADs would be a bit put off by that. I was lucky to be able to purchase tax free in the Caribbean last year. Reasonable discounts are possible.
Old 13 December 2011, 04:42 PM   #35
08pirate
"TRF" Member

Apparently these are a HOT commodity overseas. My recent AD experience for the 116610 as follows:

NO discounts for ss sport models, the one I purchased was the "last one in store until march because Rolex was not going to provide any more until then because they are sending the sports models to China where they are selling like hot cakes" Dunno if I believe this but I couldn't get a better price anywhere else... I wanted AD... call me crazy...

I would def try to save on tax if you can.... Congrats on passing exam BTW!
08pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2011, 05:13 PM   #36
MoBe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pirate View Post
Apparently these are a HOT commodity overseas. My recent AD experience for the 116610 as follows:

NO discounts for ss sport models, the one I purchased was the "last one in store until march because Rolex was not going to provide any more until then because they are sending the sports models to China where they are selling like hot cakes" Dunno if I believe this but I couldn't get a better price anywhere else... I wanted AD... call me crazy...

I would def try to save on tax if you can.... Congrats on passing exam BTW!
Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear!!!!!!!!!!!
MoBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2011, 05:37 PM   #37
snowpea
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
Quote:
I decided on the sub 116610. I figure it's a classic and I'm set on buying new. It's going to be my first rolex so I am set on the AD experience. I live in MD so I'm thinking about going to an AD in DE to save on sales tax. It sounds like the ADs are not hurting for business in this economy?
There is only one AD in DE and from my experience with them they will discount on alot of models, but Sub C isn't one of them. I bought a couple of watches from them and still wouldn't give me a discount... nada said the no tax was the savings so I bought from a AD in NJ. The AD experience isn't anything special as with buying anything pick out what you want and hand over the cash. To me as long as you get the watch that you want and save money it's a better deal
Old 13 December 2011, 05:40 PM   #38
snowpea
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
Also the Sub C will not be in the display case, only shows to loyal customers so you probably got to ask.
Old 18 December 2011, 06:52 PM   #39
liuk3
"TRF" Member

Any warranty issues if not buying from AD?
liuk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2011, 07:43 PM   #40
jayeff
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
What sort of AD experience do you desire / expect? I'm curious...
The "AD experience"

And a 10-20% discount
Old 18 December 2011, 10:51 PM   #41
gwozhog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have just passed my cpa exam and I'm about to buy my first rolex and I'm worried about getting a lemon. Do ADs re-sell returned watches. How about if I try to get them to discount. When you buy a watch, do they give you one that was in the case or do they have them in back. Is there anything else I should know?

Posted from my IPhone...
One great thing for you is that you live next to one the best Grey Market Dealers in the USA. Check out Alan Furman. I have a few friends who have purchased probably over a Dozen Rolex's from him. He will even drop tax if you can ship out of state. Good luck.
gwozhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2011, 11:46 PM   #42
canvasback13
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpea View Post
Also the Sub C will not be in the display case, only shows to loyal customers so you probably got to ask.
I shop at that jeweler. He had a sub c in the case 2 weeks ago when I was there.
canvasback13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2011, 02:51 AM   #43
matbaj
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060 & 5167
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeff View Post
The "AD experience"

And a 10-20% discount
matbaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2011, 03:33 AM   #44
JustABreathAway
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Reference
Quote:
When I'm Spending 7-8k on a watch and I have only a little knowledge about rolex, I feel like 300-500 more dollars is worth the piece of mind. I want to know for sure im getting a BNIB authentic Rolex. After analyzing what people have said, I'm going to start researching ADs now and plan to make my purchase mid January after the holiday season has died down. I think I might be able to pull off between a 10-15% discount. Any more advice is welcomed :-)
I need all I can get.
Couldn't agree with you more. My first and only Rolex was a BNIB DDII from an AD.

I found a "trusted seller" here with excellent forum credentials who offered me 25% off vs. 20% off from the AD - that's about $3500 when sales tax is figured in. When I looked into some sales this "trusted seller" had made and contacted purchasers of his watches, I found things like warranty cards with other people's names on them, mischaracterization of AD's, and some other things that absolutely turned me off from buying a product from him or any other "trusted seller." I decided if I'm going to spend $30K on a watch, I'll spend a little more to get the completely authentic AD experience, and have 100% knowledge that mine is a genuine Rolex.
JustABreathAway is offline   Reply With Quote