The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 December 2005, 01:54 PM   #1
Arthur Daley
"TRF" Member

Sub/SD share of total Rolex production

Greetings. This marks my first post on this forum. I've spent quite a bit of time scanning recent posts - feel like I know some of you already. Found the conversation more productive/insightful on this forum vs. others, so thought I'd join in.

I'm considering buying a new SD - some time early next year, probably after the annual price increase (unfortunately).

Love the watch and its pedigree - the fact that Rolex was the first to make a true diving watch, invented/commercialized the pendulum-based automatic movement etc. Not very enthused by the quality/feel of its bracelet, or the lack of domed sapphire crystal, but am perfectly willing to forgive a few shortcomings.

I do have a question about sales volume though. I've visited a few ADs in my local area, all of whom (without exception) have the SD in stock. And of course all claim "it's the only one, and it won't be there long". Seems to me that supply isn't a problem, which begs several questions:

1. What's the annual sales volume (2004 or 2005) of Rolex worldwide? I've seen 650K, 800K and 1M in several postings. Which is it?
2. Which lines are the most popular / best-selling - I'd assume the sports watches, including the subs, are right up there.
3. What proportion of total sales volume are estimated to be from Subs?
4. What %age of total Sub sales or total volume is SD?

Don't get me wrong, I know the SD isn't a highly exclusive or rare timepiece. Just don't want to plonk down hard earned cash on a watch bought by 500,000 people a year. It needs to be a "little" exclusive to command the not insubstantial price tag.

Thanks in advance. And to all those with an SD - know that I'm jealous.
Arthur Daley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2005, 02:02 PM   #2
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Daley
Greetings. This marks my first post on this forum. I've spent quite a bit of time scanning recent posts - feel like I know some of you already. Found the conversation more productive/insightful on this forum vs. others, so thought I'd join in.

I'm considering buying a new SD - some time early next year, probably after the annual price increase (unfortunately).

Love the watch and its pedigree - the fact that Rolex was the first to make a true diving watch, invented/commercialized the pendulum-based automatic movement etc. Not very enthused by the quality/feel of its bracelet, or the lack of domed sapphire crystal, but am perfectly willing to forgive a few shortcomings.

I do have a question about sales volume though. I've visited a few ADs in my local area, all of whom (without exception) have the SD in stock. And of course all claim "it's the only one, and it won't be there long". Seems to me that supply isn't a problem, which begs several questions:

1. What's the annual sales volume (2004 or 2005) of Rolex worldwide? I've seen 650K, 800K and 1M in several postings. Which is it?
2. Which lines are the most popular / best-selling - I'd assume the sports watches, including the subs, are right up there.
3. What proportion of total sales volume are estimated to be from Subs?
4. What %age of total Sub sales or total volume is SD?

Don't get me wrong, I know the SD isn't a highly exclusive or rare timepiece. Just don't want to plonk down hard earned cash on a watch bought by 500,000 people a year. It needs to be a "little" exclusive to command the not insubstantial price tag.

1. it fluctuates, so no one is certain.

2. this is where most ppl are wrong, sports models make up a small portion of the sales. Datejusts are the best sellers, especially the ladies models. Collectors such as us are the ones that frequent these boards. The sad truth is the avg Rolex buyer is buying the watch for the name and prestige. This is why when you look at the watches that ppl own on various message boards you will be mislead into thinking that Sports models are the biggest sellers, but they are not. A recent visit to Rolex canada where I had a nice convo with a rep there told me that DJs are by far the biggest sellers, although she didnt have numbers for me (she didnt know) a fair guess would be that DJs out sell sports models 30 to 1, the number is much higher in Asia she said. Again true numbers are kept in Switzerland and they aint talking.

3 & 4 only Rolex knows.

BTW go for the SD its my fav

RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2005, 02:30 PM   #3
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Daley
Greetings. This marks my first post on this forum.

Arthur welcome to the forum. Now your a member, do we get a good deal on second hand cars?

Regarding your questions, I have no idea but I think you should heed your last line. If you are so jealous of everybody with a SD, then go out and buy one. I can guarantee you won't see many on the wrists of passersby.

BTW how's Terry?

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2005, 03:15 PM   #4
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Arthur, welcome to TRF!! Glad to have you out and posting. Living in Texas, I know it may seem like there are millions of Rolex, but it is still the minority that owns them, any model.

Can't go wrong with any of them but the SD is a sure fire winner.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2005, 06:32 PM   #5
Seadweller
"TRF" Member

Arthur, welcome to TRF. I can't answer all your questions but as far as exclusitivity goes I can tell you that I have had my SD for nearly 2 years and I am yet to see or meet anyone wearing one ( except for the guys on here ) Its a great watch and certainly more exclusive than the Sub.IMO.
Buy it, you won't regret it.
Old 2 December 2005, 06:40 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Must agree Steve myself prefer the SD not because its more exclusive just not a great lover of cyclops,a fine watch
you will not be disappointed And welcome to TRF enjoy your stay.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2005, 07:08 PM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
A big welcome to TRF, Arthur. The SD is one helluva watch and if it smiles so much at you then there's just one thing to do....go for it!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!

Last edited by JJ Irani; 2 December 2005 at 07:10 PM..
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2005, 07:32 PM   #8
worktolivelife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
:Don't get me wrong, I know the SD isn't a highly exclusive or rare timepiece. Just don't want to plonk down hard earned cash on a watch bought by 500,000 people a year. It needs to be a "little" exclusive to command the not insubstantial price tag.

What make and model would you consider as an alternative!?
Old 3 December 2005, 04:17 AM   #9
Arthur Daley
"TRF" Member

Thanks

Thanks for the warm welcome and speedy response.

I'm (pleasantly) surprised that the sports series isn't Rolex's number 1 seller. Would be great to see a split in sales by line at some point - I'm genuinely curious as to the breakdown. Still love the line/watch, although I must admit this "love" only recently morphed from lukewarm feeling about the brand. Havind read up on Rolex I know find their history & heritage intriguing.

Briefly considered the IWC Aqua.... but found it a little too modern-looking. Also looked at Breitling, but am not a great fan of their general look - too much going on in the dial, bezel etc.

That begs the question - which watches do you regard as being on par with the Sub/SD from a dive watch capability and quality/heritage perspective? Am I missing some obvious choices - gotta be autos, swiss or German made and with sapphire crystal...

As for the screen name - my wife chose it. She's convinced that only used car salesmen and hairy-chested gelled-back-hair-wearing men wear Rolex. I'm trying to convince her that she's wrong. Believe this problem in perception has been brought on largely by the vast number of fakes and lookalikes prevalent in the global market place. I won't give up working on her (so to speak). Love the watch.

Btw - Terry's doing fine. And I can everyone an excellent discount on any used car. Can't guarantee that the base price won't be inflated though.....
Arthur Daley is offline   Reply With Quote